IGNORED

Henriksen

Lanterne Rouge

22 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Wages.

Far superior technique to dear old Marvin, who was all engine and attitude but not much else.

I don't think wages will necessarily be much of an issue. Presumably we're paying a portion or all of them right now. We have bought players such as Kalas who'd be on big wages. Hull aren't the biggest paying side in the league either.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't think wages will necessarily be much of an issue. Presumably we're paying a portion or all of them right now. We have bought players such as Kalas who'd be on big wages. Hull aren't the biggest paying side in the league either.

I hope you're right but were Hull in the Premier League when they signed him? Might be on a decent wedge if so and, if we already have Kalas, Baker, Wells on big wages, how many more can we fit into FFP?

12 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Harsh! Did you not watch us the season we got to the Championship play off final? 

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Admired Marvin's effort and application, and he was pivotal in 07-08, but a technical footballer he was not.  

18 hours ago, spudski said:

Blessing in disguise...thought he was weak tonight. 

You don't miss the opportunity to have a go at Korey do you?  Not his best performance granted but we always look better with him and his leadership in the team.  People forget he's got promoted out of this league along with Williams and Kalas.  That nous is going to be really important over the next 3 months.

24 minutes ago, The Bard said:

You don't miss the opportunity to have a go at Korey do you?  Not his best performance granted but we always look better with him and his leadership in the team.  People forget he's got promoted out of this league along with Williams and Kalas.  That nous is going to be really important over the next 3 months.

Amazing how some cannot see things that are so obvious. Smith comes back and we look more solid. Assume people think it’s coincidence. 

4 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Heaven forbid we have a player trying to take a ball forward instead of passing sideways or hoofing to Fam.

Don't worry LJ will soon coach that out of him.

What was wrong with Corrie last night. Perhaps he took his injury into the game?

Possibly - it's always a doubt now I suppose after being out for so.long. It looked like he was trying to fill the Brownhill role. He breaks up play, he doesnt naturally do the playmaker role.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Been a great servant but also been looked after by the club so a two way thing...

Nowhere near the player of yore & no gain in looking at the past with dewy eyed fondness - we've moved on as a club & it's time we parted company in the summer with our very best wishes...

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Amazing how some cannot see things that are so obvious. Smith comes back and we look more solid. Assume people think it’s coincidence. 

I love Korey...one of the nicest footballers and human beings I've had the pleasure to speak with.

However...how have we looked more solid? Derby were all over us in midfield. 

Smith isn't the answer to us winning the ball then setting it up into a quick counter of top 6 quality results. He's a solid pro of the same level of quality as Bailey Wright imo.

Would a top 6 team have Korey as a starter? I don't think any of them would.

Love the bloke and his effort...but he's not the answer to progress imo.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

I love Korey...one of the nicest footballers and human beings I've had the pleasure to speak with.

Smith isn't the answer to us winning the ball then setting it up into a quick counter of top 6 quality results. He's a solid pro of the same level of quality as Bailey Wright imo.

Ignore the clean sheets he helped achieve. Where were the clean sheets before him? Bit pathetic to choose one game to judge him on. A game that he was actually decent in. Take the blinkers off 

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Ignore the clean sheets he helped achieve. Where were the clean sheets before him? Bit pathetic to choose one game to judge him on. A game that he was actually decent in. Take the blinkers off 

I've not rated Korey as a player at good Championship level for a long time. He imo is a top bloke but very average at this level and not the answer.

LJ will agree with you though...him and Weimann big favs of his.

9 hours ago, jonb said:

Funny how Paterson has been able to come in and do more than he has all season in about five games though isnt it?

Maybe (and I'm just putting this out there) Palmer is on the bench because he has been poor?

Ok, Palmer not been good for a while, but his early season form (opening 6 games was good beyond the 1 goal and 2 assists the stats show. Pato has been great though and his 3 goals and 1 assist is a great return from 6(+1) apps.

the challenge is for Pato to keep it up. 

6 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I hope you're right but were Hull in the Premier League when they signed him? Might be on a decent wedge if so and, if we already have Kalas, Baker, Wells on big wages, how many more can we fit into FFP?

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Admired Marvin's effort and application, and he was pivotal in 07-08, but a technical footballer he was not.  

He joined on loan in 16/17 when Hull were in Prem, signing permanently in the Jan window for £4.5m!!!

Hull were relegated and I suspect his contract included a relegation clause as Hull were bottom at the time. He then got injured.

It is suggested he’s on £100k per month, so £23k per week. If he continues to impress, nice signing on fee, reduced wage????

3 hours ago, The Bard said:

He could’ve been our worst player last night, but he still wasn’t poor. Nobody gave a less than par performance last night imho. I do think people forget his role off the ball, and he did that perfectly decently last night. With the ball he wants to keep it simple and I’m sure his floaty ball to Hunt on Friday that Hunt messed up and cost us their equaliser was in his head last night. I think he has lost a bit of confidence.  I think he helped Henriksen settle in last night and he should get credit for very little ball reaching Chris Martin’s feet during the game. A 6/10 for me. That’s fine imho. 

Didn't Derby have 2 chances last night which were the goals? I can't remember any orhers.

Korey played a huge part in keeping their chances down as well as driving us on especially in the 2nd part of the first half.

Will he stay next season? Well that may depend on if he can stay fit.

Morrell and Walsh to return. I'm particularly excited about Walsh. But Morrell too who seems a leader like Korey.

Nagy has disappointed me so far. Though has his injury been the problem. As things are I wouldn't mind selling Nagy and keeping Korey on.

I don't think this run would have happened if we'd had Nagy in there and not Korey. He's been key to it imo.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Didn't Derby have 2 chances last night which were the goals? I can't remember any orhers.

Korey played a huge part in keeping their chances down as well as driving us on especially in the 2nd part of the first half.

Morrell and Walsh to return. I'm particularly excited about Walsh. But Morrell too who seems a leader like Korey.

Nagy has disappointed me so far. Though has his injury been the problem. As things are I wouldn't mind selling Nagy and keeping Korey on.

I don't think this run would have happened if we'd had Nagy in there and not Korey. He's been key to it imo.

Had my doubts Korey would ever make it back into pro football let alone play at his old level, happy to be proved wrong. 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I've not rated Korey as a player at good Championship level for a long time. He imo is a top bloke but very average at this level and not the answer.

LJ will agree with you though...him and Weimann big favs of his.

I get the impression that if you were a Sheff U fan you wouldn't have rated half their current team as 'top 6 championship players' last season.  Top 6 Championship players don't really exist as a type. The top 6 literally changes week to week and is always unpredicatable. 

Being a good player at this level is not just about technical capability, it's character, leadership, heart, nous , balls, abiity to concentrate on doing your job, putting your ego to one side for the greater good.   He's most definitely the answer to these over more able players. 

I hope Henriksen is an upgrade, but in my eyes it will take more than a couple of prominent performances to prove it.  Character comes through over a period of time..

Looked OK for a first game, but as our midfield has been so weak, not too hard to improve on it. See how he goes over the next few games, then onto the stuff about whether he’s worth trying to buy, or if there will be better value available in the summer. 
As for KP, I really wonder why we signed him, it’s not as though he particularly impressed on loan last season.

9 hours ago, The Bard said:

I get the impression that if you were a Sheff U fan you wouldn't have rated half their current team as 'top 6 championship players' last season.  Top 6 Championship players don't really exist as a type. The top 6 literally changes week to week and is always unpredicatable. 

Being a good player at this level is not just about technical capability, it's character, leadership, heart, nous , balls, abiity to concentrate on doing your job, putting your ego to one side for the greater good.   He's most definitely the answer to these over more able players. 

I hope Henriksen is an upgrade, but in my eyes it will take more than a couple of prominent performances to prove it.  Character comes through over a period of time..

Not at all. I've said for the last few seasons that I didn't think Korey was the answer to improve in midfield. I've wanted an 'upgrade' for a long time.

It wasn't long ago pre injury, that people said the same. The same can be said of the form to Pato.

Do people think Smith and Pato are the future for next season as well? Both solid squad players imo...if Pato continues his fine form then I'll be surprised. 

Re Smith...I see a fit Nagy and Henriksen as an upgrade in that position.

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Korey does a job but if we are to progress to the next level we must upgrade. 

On 12/02/2020 at 23:21, maxjak said:

He hadn't played for 3 MONTHS.............give the guy a break FFS.   Anyone who plays or has a knowledge of football can surely see that he is quality, you don't get 54 caps for your country if your average?  Considering his lack of game time, I thought he was excellent, and as he gets fitter and stronger he will cut out the mistakes, I am sure.  Bordeaux offered 1.8 mill for him, he looks worth a good deal more than that?  He obviously needs minutes and to be believed in, after being treated so poorly by Hull...........IMHO he could be a very important player for us for the rest of the season.

Was talking about Smith....:laugh:

42 minutes ago, leadman said:

Was talking about Smith....:laugh:

Yeah I know.........This has already been alluded to, and dealt with by numero uno.  As I said, I apologise for my stupidity, and thank my friend Jim Beam for my misdirection, due to over celebrating our 3-2 victory.  Case Closed?

9 hours ago, Chappers said:

Looked OK for a first game, I thought he was excellent but as our midfield has been so weak, not too hard to improve on it. See how he goes over the next few games, then onto the stuff about whether he’s worth trying to buy, he is currently on loan, but out of contract come June. Consequently, there is no question of buying him; simply do we want him, does he want to come and, if so, can we afford his salary demands? or if there will be better value available in the summer. 
As for KP, I really wonder why we signed him, it’s not as though he particularly impressed on loan last season.

On 13/02/2020 at 18:21, spudski said:

Perhaps Smith is better suited at this level to different tactics than the way we currently set up?? 

An energetic, in-your-face, high pressing style surely suits him better than our current set up which, by comparison, is passive-sit deep-counter attack??

Just a guess, I'm no tactics guru.

I really want Henriksen to be what we're looking for and to sign perm end of season, but steady on guys. Massengo was absolute class for a few games. Nagy looked immense. Give it time before we make these sweeping assertions. 

Re Korey, Kalas commented on commentary that Korey being the longest serving means he understands LJ methods best and is useful from that perspective. 

Archived