IGNORED

Atmosphere at the Game

8 hours ago, Harry said:

I don’t actually think it’s open or entertaining play that our crowd respond to. 
It’s passion and effort. 
The atmos suddenly upped a couple of notches after about half an hour when Dasilva chased back and put in a tackle in midfield, then allowing us to release the ball wide right to begin an attack. 

Us City fans love a tackle, and when we see the players putting in their all the crowd respond. 

That's right.

It's not more singing and songs we need, it's more things happening on the pitch right in front of us that we can react to instinctively, without knowing all the words to 8 men went to save a team, or the one about Darren Clarke's mother's dog, or whatever it was

Things happening that excite us, or annoy us, or encourage us, or thrill us, or surprise us, or infuriate us, and so on. These things inspire basic, instinctive responses like "go on!" and "grrrr! " and "ohhh!" at a near miss and "yessss!" and such like (from the heart, and from the gut), as when a goal is scored. Then when we've sat back down, the singers in the corner can go through their rich and complex repertoire of ditties, until the next stirring moment (at home to Preston, possibly).

Modern sterile football in front of seated people with smart phones to hand and edible food and drink just a short dap away, from where you can see on a screen that you aren't missing much, is an atmosphere killer.

Another small factor which I think helps contribute to atmosphere, especially at night games or those in the winter, is the inner lights in the stadium.

Before the rebuild, the inner lighting of the stadium was off during night/evening games and it helps to make the atmosphere more immersive. It subconsciously helps people concentrate on the game and somehow seems to raise the intensity.

With the inner lights being on at games, the place has the feel of watching a match from an airport departure area or supermarket aisle. You can see everyone around you and it's a far less immersive experience.

I know i'm not the only one to raise this, but it's another small factor that I feel would help make night games more of a spectacle and raise atmosphere.

I have no doubt that there's some ridiculous persnickety health and safety based reason why lights must be on during night games. No doubt approved by SAG. 

I think the difference last night was, while S82 were maybe a little quiet last night, I heard songs from around the ground that doesn't normally happen - S21 and old Dolman B Block in particular.

It all added up pretty well.

The game also had a mention on a work related Whatsapp group chat with a guy living in Clifton commenting on how noisy it was last night.

2 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I think the difference last night was, while S82 were maybe a little quiet last night, I heard songs from around the ground that doesn't normally happen - S21 and old Dolman B Block in particular.

It all added up pretty well.

The game also had a mention on a work related Whatsapp group chat with a guy living in Clifton commenting on how noisy it was last night.

S21 generally give it a good go.  You might not hear it depending on where you are in the ground but it wasn’t any louder in there last night than any other games (in a good way). 

I was sat near the front of the dolman, old block B and thought it resembled exactly what away fans sing at us, it was a library! TV distorts it to try and implore that there is an atmosphere when there's not! It was one of the quietest I have known at Ashton Gate (From where I was sitting!)

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Another small factor which I think helps contribute to atmosphere, especially at night games or those in the winter, is the inner lights in the stadium.

Before the rebuild, the inner lighting of the stadium was off during night/evening games and it helps to make the atmosphere more immersive. It subconsciously helps people concentrate on the game and somehow seems to raise the intensity.

With the inner lights being on at games, the place has the feel of watching a match from an airport departure area or supermarket aisle. You can see everyone around you and it's a far less immersive experience.

I know i'm not the only one to raise this, but it's another small factor that I feel would help make night games more of a spectacle and raise atmosphere.

I have no doubt that there's some ridiculous persnickety health and safety based reason why lights must be on during night games. No doubt approved by SAG. 

Without the light's Big Brother Cant watch you so easily, its purely down to CCTV and how they like to keep an eye on you in modern times

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Get rid of the lights as far as possible during play (it must be possible to at least turn some of them off) change Seven Nation Army to a tune from a local group, and either change the announcer or get them to change their ‘approach’  and the ‘customer experience’ would be soooooo much better imho. Easy easy wins.  

8 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Without the light's Big Brother Cant watch you so easily, its purely down to CCTV and how they like to keep an eye on you in modern times

Unfortunately I think you are right. There really is no other explanation for them needing to be so bright. 

Interesting debate. I thought it sounded quieter than normal. 

If you watch some of the goals back today on tv/online, they cut away to the crowd when Benkovic scores and the reaction is muted. A couple of people are just chatting to each other, a few clap, one bloke is filming on his phone. A distinct lack of “limbs” as the kids would say. I guess that’s just modern football. 

5 hours ago, eric04 said:

Interesting debate. I thought it sounded quieter than normal. 

If you watch some of the goals back today on tv/online, they cut away to the crowd when Benkovic scores and the reaction is muted. A couple of people are just chatting to each other, a few clap, one bloke is filming on his phone. A distinct lack of “limbs” as the kids would say. I guess that’s just modern football. 

.... and a few asking people around them to be quiet.

After all, it is a library.

18 hours ago, Magicdaps said:

Decent atmosphere, not earth shattering but decent considering our home form of late.  Also wthout wanting to open any debate where the same points get raised I'm still amazed at how many people stream out at 3-2 up with a couple of mins to go...maybe a coping mechanism for avoiding the stress of having to watch the closing stages ??? 

It was for me, left at 89 mins as couldn't bare the thought of throwing away 3 points in a game where we were 3 up but relieved by the time I got a few 100yds away to here the home fans celebrate the final whistle 

19 hours ago, Harry said:

I don’t actually think it’s open or entertaining play that our crowd respond to. 
It’s passion and effort. 
The atmos suddenly upped a couple of notches after about half an hour when Dasilva chased back and put in a tackle in midfield, then allowing us to release the ball wide right to begin an attack. 

Us City fans love a tackle, and when we see the players putting in their all the crowd respond. 

So agree Harr. Remember Villa at home in 16/17. We stood off Villa and they played nice pretty stuff going 1-0 up. After about half an hour Litts crunched Grealish and the crowd responded. We were great after that. 

There are some very good arguments raised in the two columns on Bristol Live from Oscar and Dave.

Oscar is correct about the gentrification of City. The demographic is completely different to 10 years ago. Is that because of the new facilities, or the increased ticket prices needed to pay for them? Whichever it is, the atmosohere has become more akin to day-trippers than hardcore fans. 

As for ditching the Wurzels at the request of the players, and laying off Bristolians like Adam and Tim? This is a huge shame if the club truly is embarrassed of its “Bristolness” and accent, preferring to project a more bland image. Other clubs are proud of their region, why is Bristol ashamed of it’s accent? Discuss. 

11 minutes ago, eric04 said:

There are some very good arguments raised in the two columns on Bristol Live from Oscar and Dave.

Oscar is correct about the gentrification of City. The demographic is completely different to 10 years ago. Is that because of the new facilities, or the increased ticket prices needed to pay for them? Whichever it is, the atmosohere has become more akin to day-trippers than hardcore fans. 

As for ditching the Wurzels at the request of the players, and laying off Bristolians like Adam and Tim? This is a huge shame if the club truly is embarrassed of its “Bristolness” and accent, preferring to project a more bland image. Other clubs are proud of their region, why is Bristol ashamed of it’s accent? Discuss. 

England has a problem displaying its culture and heritage. 

Within this, Bristol has a problem by English standards. Even the people within know naff all about Bristol's history or identify. Since the influx of outsiders in recent years we even seem ashamed of it and hide from it. 

What is it to be Bristolian? No bugger in this country could tell you. 

They'd have a much better idea if you asked the question of Liverpool, Manchester, London, Newcastle etc

And don't tell me it's Banksy. That would be a complete disservice to the question. 

I've taken friends who aren't city supporters to the gate several times, and also sometimes bump into people from work, or friends around the city who I know aren't particular fans of city, but go along for the game. The funny thing is I see most of this type joining in and and making noise! Conversely, whilst it might be a bit of a generalisation, but the type of fan I see sitting there making no noise tends to be older blokes just there for a bit of a natter and catch up with their mates. I often see groups of them sitting there not singing for the full 90 (and often barely watching the game). Maybe there are 'new' fans who have come into the fold recently, but to me, they look like fans who have been coming for many years, and just don't really feel like joining in.

I don't think anyone 'should' be singing, each to their own, but I actually wonder if the lack of noise is really attributed to the so called 'gentrification' of our fan base

Archived