IGNORED

So if you are going to play crosses...

spudski

1 minute ago, spudski said:

...into the box, what a difference height and physicality make.

Feels like a Warnock side now though ?

Joking aside...Williams, Henrikson, Benkovic, Famara, Wells...what a difference at set pieces and when crosses come in.

I think you have a point fella, another change of DNA from LJ. And that is a concern for me, there is is no philosophy, no pattern of player that is consistent. We look like a ‘power’ team tonight with very little subtlety.

It worked, we won - just, but what happens if we stick with that at Elland Road.

Thought going forward we were better than some say on here tonight.

It's hard to pass the ball like a team that have an extra body in midfield. We go 442. There's going to be a bit of a mix of passing and direct football.

We looked very dangerous going forward. But it was far too easy for Derby to score the 2 they did.

If we want to see slick passing then we'd probably have to go Pato or Palmer in behind Wells up top in a 4231.

442 with Fam and there's always going to be that direct option which we will take. But at least Wells links up 10 times better than Weimann does with Fam going by tonight's game.

Tonight was the most entertained we've been all season at Ashton gate. Isn't this what we want?

Derby are a very good side and we deserved the win overall imo.

7 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think you have a point fella, another change of DNA from LJ. And that is a concern for me, there is is no philosophy, no pattern of player that is consistent. We look like a ‘power’ team tonight with very little subtlety.

It worked, we won - just, but what happens if we stick with that at Elland Road.

I agree...we look totally devoid of idea when going forward...but content to sit back and regroup, and happy to let crosses into the box.

Main threat is by interception and break or set pieces.

We are woeful at keeping possession and trying to break down teams now.

The transformation within two seasons, of high press, possession and energy, has gone to sit back, intercept, break on counter and whip in crosses. We honestly look like a Warnock team right now. Watch us go up ?

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought going forward we were better than some say on here tonight.

It's hard to pass the ball like a team that have an extra body in midfield. We go 442. There's going to be a bit of a mix of passing and direct football.

We looked very dangerous going forward. But it was far too easy for Derby to score the 2 they did.

If we want to see slick passing then we'd probably have to go Pato or Palmer in behind Wells up top in a 4231.

442 with Fam and there's always going to be that direct option which we will take. But at least Wells links up 10 times better than Weimann does with Fam going by tonight's game.

Tonight was the most entertained we've been all season at Ashton gate. Isn't this what we want?

Derby are a very good side and we deserved the win overall imo.

The problem is we are stuck between the two. Are we threading balls through with Palmer or Pato...or slinging crosses in with Eliasson? Can we do both...maybe.

Our Achilles heal is allowing balls into the box. Hunt and DaSilva may as well just step out the way for the effort going in to stop them.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

The problem is we are stuck between the two. Are we threading balls through with Palmer or Pato...or slinging crosses in with Eliasson? Can we do both...maybe.

Our Achilles heal is allowing balls into the box. Hunt and DaSilva may as well just step out the way for the effort going in to stop them.

Thought Hunt struggled much more than Dasilva with their full back. He simply could not get close enough.

Going 4231 could allow us to do both crosses into the box and through balls. But to be fair to Fam even his movement seemed to be much better with Wells alongside him. Some good runs off the ball tonight..better than usual.

I don't really see the problem. We've won 4 out of 5 and are 1 point away from Brentford who have been outstanding. Doing this whilst still trying to find that perfect formula. Quite amazing really.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought Hunt struggled much more than Dasilva with their full back. He simply could not get close enough.

Going 4231 could allow us to do both crosses into the box and through balls. But to be fair to Fam even his movement seemed to be much better with Wells alongside him. Some good runs off the ball tonight..better than usual.

I don't really see the problem. We've won 4 out of 5 and are 1 point away from Brentford who have been outstanding. Doing this whilst still trying to find that perfect formula. Quite amazing really.

Getting results but as a manager you'd be pulling your hair out.

LJ goes on about our ' box entries'...but we allow so many. If it wasn't for our CBs and GK we'd be mid table. They've been outstanding.

Hunt and DaSilva are average defensively imo.

DaSilva is like Bryan, far more effective coming out of defence with the ball an creating.

Hunt the same..but more so in crossing.

If we closed down more and stopped crosses, we'd be a few points higher imo.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

LJ goes on about our ' box entries'...but we allow so many. If it wasn't for our CBs and GK we'd be mid table. They've been outstanding.

DaSilva is like Bryan, far more effective coming out of defence with the ball an creating.

Thought Dasilva mainly did well defensively. It's not easy to close down and stop a cross from a very quick and tricky wide player. 

Hunt for me struggles too much at times though at it.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought Dasilva mainly did well defensively. It's not easy to close down and stop a cross from a very quick and tricky wide player. 

Hunt for me struggles too much at times though at it.

They both give too much space imo. Especially when comparing against other Championship FBs. You've only got to look at our stats to see it as well...the eyes don't receive in this case.

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Need a quality right back big time in the summer window,,,(Ryan Nyambe please)

Would guess we will be working with DaSilva on the training pitch from the defensive/positional viewpoint!

In his defence Jay has just returned from a lengthy injury, others have been afforded time to ease back but he has pretty much been put in and played. Although he looks older I think he is only 20/21 so very young. I think we have a great player in him, but he is still learning and does need the support of players around him.

As for Jack, he can’t do it all either and needs the players around him to be more aware of what he is being asked to do.

8 hours ago, spudski said:

You have implied it’s lack of effort that’s the problem from our full backs.  They’d just wrong in my opinion. And quite disrespectful really. 

50 minutes ago, RedM said:

In his defence Jay has just returned from a lengthy injury, others have been afforded time to ease back but he has pretty much been put in and played. Although he looks older I think he is only 20/21 so very young. I think we have a great player in him, but he is still learning and does need the support of players around him.

As for Jack, he can’t do it all either and needs the players around him to be more aware of what he is being asked to do.

Hunt was horrible tonight, again. In a poor run of form and seems to always be terrible when we are on the Tele.

I think it might be wise to switch Nik and Jamie round. Niklas can't defend either whereas Jamie is much better at tracking runners.

But we need an upgrade at right back desperately. 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

You have implied it’s lack of effort that’s the problem from our full backs.  They’d just wrong in my opinion. And quite disrespectful really. 

You've misinterpreted...I believe LJ wants full backs that are better offensively than they are defensively. The Wells goal was a prime example.

DaSilva and Bryan are very similar. DaSilva better positionally in defence but not aggressive or strong enough to stop crosses. What how many times he's beaten and his opposite gets a cross into the box.

Hunt plays more narrow, and it's almost like he's just shadowing that many crosses come in from the left. It's no coincidence teams attack that area. 

They imo are better in a 31412 than a 442 as it leaves them exposed.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

You've misinterpreted...I believe LJ wants full backs that are better offensively than they are defensively. The Wells goal was a prime example.

DaSilva and Bryan are very similar. DaSilva better positionally in defence but not aggressive or strong enough to stop crosses. What how many times he's beaten and his opposite gets a cross into the box.

Hunt plays more narrow, and it's almost like he's just shadowing that many crosses come in from the left. It's no coincidence teams attack that area. 

You said they don’t even make a half hearted attempt to stop a cross so how have I misunderstood that?

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

That's just the way fullbacks are nowadays though, it's been that way for a while. Kyle Walker & Alexander Arnold are both way better going forward than they are defensively. Wan Bissaka isn't great going forward but defensively he's sound, I know who I'd rather have & It's not AWB! 

Rarely do you see them stay back and not get involved in the attacking play. 

9 hours ago, spudski said:

They both give too much space imo. Especially when comparing against other Championship FBs. You've only got to look at our stats to see it as well...the eyes don't receive in this case.

Which ones? 

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

445C8C20-76C6-4F5A-82F4-CBF4E2C0FA98.png

It's obviously tactical...as in allow the cross and deal with it when it comes in. Both wing backs are playing narrower protecting the CBs. We don't move across quickly enough when the ball is spread across the pitch. The attempt to stop the cross is half hearted tactically imo. It is something that we've seen all season and stats back it up. I think it a weakness as to why we concede so much and allow so many opportunities for teams to have chances against us. I guess LJ see's protecting the middle easier than closing down with a full back and midfielder wide...and stopping the cross.

3 hours ago, J-mat said:

Hunt was horrible tonight, again. In a poor run of form and seems to always be terrible when we are on the Tele.

I think it might be wise to switch Nik and Jamie round. Niklas can't defend either whereas Jamie is much better at tracking runners.

But we need an upgrade at right back desperately. 

Did you think so?  I though Hunt was pretty good.  Was I watching a different game?

28 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's obviously tactical...as in allow the cross and deal with it when it comes in. Both wing backs are playing narrower protecting the CBs. We don't move across quickly enough when the ball is spread across the pitch. The attempt to stop the cross is half hearted tactically imo. It is something that we've seen all season and stats back it up. I think it a weakness as to why we concede so much and allow so many opportunities for teams to have chances against us. I guess LJ see's protecting the middle easier than closing down with a full back and midfielder wide...and stopping the cross.

The narrow full backs/wing backs when defending is clearly a tactic, but it leaves huge spaces out wide. Plus the “wingers” (Eliasson and Paterson) provide little cover. Dasilva coped better with it in the first half than Hunt managed all game. Plus Hunt just won’t try and close down the player. For the second goal he just kept backing off, which allowed the crowd into the box. Very frustrating as it was possible to see it coming, minutes earlier, but we got caught on the break again at home. Goodness only knows how we manage to defend 1-0 leads away from home, because at AG it’s impossible to relax unless we are four goals up!

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Did you think so?  I though Hunt was pretty good.  Was I watching a different game?

Hoofed it too often, especially when there was often a fairly simple pass on. 

Horrific defending for the second, not even pub standard. 

Good cross for the first to be pulled back by Jay but I didn't think he was very good at all. 

He just lacks composure in possession in his own half and he's a poor defender, not ideal for a RB in a 4 with a CB pairing who want to play and a winger in front of him who needs the ball to feet, not whacked up in the sky

Going forward it suits Hunt to have Eliasson in front of him.  He tends to attract 2 markers and this frees Hunt up to get in a decent position.  Example last night for the first goal.  On the flip side, when we have to defend, it's not a great set up. A weak full back being more exposed.   We seem to be looking to use Wells as a 10 but he's not suited to dropping in so one of the CMs can filter to the right to help us defensively on that side.  

If we upgraded and got a real athlete at RB who can defend in that position we would improve a lot... A right footed Martin Scott will do..

Archived