IGNORED

O’Dowda in Midfield

Riaz

O’Dowda playing in central midfield almost cost us the game.

i don’t know why Johnson thinks it’s a good idea, because nearly every time he puts him in there, we fall apart. 

Hopwfully LJ gets the memo soon...

Great win tho. Always Believe 

How he still makes the 18 man squad is beyond me. 
He offers nothing, the blatant dive in the box at the end was embarrassing and his lack of tactical awareness didn’t help us when we needed someone to press, and then carry the ball. 
I can count on 1 hand how many times I’ve watched him in his 3.5 seasons with us and thought- there’s a player in there. 

1 minute ago, Red white and red said:

No idea how O’Dowda even gets in the match day squad. He offers nothing at all. What is his position? He’s not a winger, he can’t beat a man. He’s not a midfielder, he can’t tackle or mark anyone. He’s not a striker, he’s not strong enough and brave enough. 

What is an O’Dowda?

#Retweet

9 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

When he came on he was stuck to Rooney, to try & stop him from starting moves for them I assume. 

Good thinking by Johnson I think.

Made an okay run forward at the end, final ball still lacking though.

6/10

Yes.......that run and ball to Set up Weimann in the final minute .......pitiful......

Lacking.....

Some of the comments on this thread  embarrassing

It was the right decision to bring him on in midfield as derby were playing through us , and we needed to close off the space which we did. If anyone should be blamed then point the finger at elliasson for not bringing their bloke down and taking a yellow when they countered for their second goal. Fans see elliassons assists but not how poor he is defensively. 
im not o’dowda’s biggest fan and he probably should of taken the ball onto the corner . Some of the scapegoat comments on here though are shocking. 

I’m certainly not his biggest fan but he came on to do a specific job. 
He wasnt strictly in central mid, was more an AM position, ahead of Rowe & Henriksen. His role was to sit on Rooney, which he did a decent enough job at. 
Wouldn’t want him there regularly but he did the job he was asked to do tonight. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

He wasnt strictly in central mid, was more an AM position, ahead of Rowe & Henriksen. His role was to sit on Rooney, which he did a decent enough job at. 
Wouldn’t want him there regularly but he did the job he was asked to do tonight. 

Yeah, took a few minutes for me to work out, but we went from 442 to 4141 (Henriksen the 1) so had a 4 of:

Eliasson (then Weimann) | O’Dowda | Rowe | Paterson

He did okay.

If I was being hyper-critical Bob, I’d say the ball across the box for Weimann could’ve been hit along the deck, instead of bouncing, but it may’ve been intercepted.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, took a few minutes for me to work out, but we went from 442 to 4141 (Henriksen the 1) so had a 4 of:

Eliasson (then Weimann) | O’Dowda | Rowe | Paterson

He did okay.

If I was being hyper-critical Bob, I’d say the ball across the box for Weimann could’ve been hit along the deck, instead of bouncing, but it may’ve been intercepted.

Yep. Weimann gestured to O’Dowda straight after that he should’ve kept it on the deck. 
Still should’ve finished it, but the bounce just infront of him made it harder than it should have been. 

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Extremely unfair.

I thought he was turning in to a genuine top class player until he got injured against Hull. 

Yep, hate that phrase.

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. Weimann gestured to O’Dowda straight after that he should’ve kept it on the deck. 
Still should’ve finished it, but the bounce just infront of him made it harder than it should have been. 

Andi could’ve controlled it.

For me we have far better players than COD to have on the bench. Think he is a good player but he makes his games difficault, hold the ball to long, Looking at the ground when he has the ball and runs forward with no plan. If he keep it simple and delivers the ball faster he should be mutch better. When he came to City I thougt he was an exciting player, he has not developed as I was hoping. LJ keep having him on the bench and I really hope he will score If he came in as a sub.

Well I thought he was very good. Just like last game he came on.

Chased everything. Went on one good run and maybe should have won penalty as Clarke took him out after to realised it to Weimann I think.

He set up Weimann for that sitter. Play it along the ground and it probably doesn't get to Weimann.

He sets up an absolute sitter and surely it's Weimann's fault for missing that sitter.

Pretty sure if it was the other way around and O'Dowda missed then O'Dowda would be getting the blame!

6 hours ago, Whites said:

Korey asked to come off after taking a knock according to LJ's post match press conference, can only assume that with no Nagy or Massengo on the bench, COD seemed the best available option to him? 

Dont understand why johnson took wells off though. Surely Rowe as a direct swap for Smith was sufficient? Why we brought odowda on is beyond me. 

Always been a fan of the saying attack is best form of defence. Derby, got 1 on the break but at 3-1 before the subs we looked fairly comfortable. Then brings off attackers and goes to sit behind the ball, inviting pressure and we conceded almost straight away. 

6 hours ago, Harry said:

Exactly this. He did a 20 minute Park Ji Sung impression and stopped Rooney having time on the ball to dictate play. 

Derby were much more hectic last ten minutes because of COD, and that allowed our CB's to deal with straight balls which didn't cause too much problem. 

It also meant we won the ball higher and launched two really good counters that should have led to goals.

I don't rate COD at all, but he did a good, specific job last night! 

Ah, there he is, there has to be one. Well I will say that he did some good closing down when he came on, unfortunately by then the others were shot, so he was leading a lonely charge. Never gave the ball away, the “dive” was a good challenge as he was again running with no support. 

10 minutes ago, City18 said:

Dont understand why johnson took wells off though. Surely Rowe as a direct swap for Smith was sufficient? Why we brought odowda on is beyond me. 

Always been a fan of the saying attack is best form of defence. Derby, got 1 on the break but at 3-1 before the subs we looked fairly comfortable. Then brings off attackers and goes to sit behind the ball, inviting pressure and we conceded almost straight away. 

We really didn't look comfortable. We lost all control of the game and needed to counter their midfield numerical advantage 

It was clear from watching Derby come forward after we went 3-0 up that we needed to shore up midfield with an extra player. I don’t think Korey coming off was the original plan. Rowe and O’Dowda with Hendrickson made it 3 in the middle. Wells came off in preference to Fam, as Fam does more defensively, particularly set pieces, and LJ wanted to defend the lead. Admittedly Wells would have scored the one at the end that Fam missed, but that’s the down side to that decision. And finally Weimann for Eliasson was to give someone in front of Hunt who could actually defend, rather than Eliasson, who was either missing or powderpuff in the tackle.

O’Dowda did the job that the coaches wanted him to do. However his final ball or lack of even seeing the quick ball to play is what really frustrates. If he could get that sorted, he would be a very good player at this level, but without that he flatters to deceive.

31 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I’m by no means a huge fan of his, but there’s definitely some unconscious bias against O’Dowda following the contract fallout.

True. Not sure if it’s unique to Bristol City, but our fans hate players who insinuate they’re better than the club. You see that by the Zach Clough threads 4 years on.

Archived