IGNORED

O’Dowda in Midfield

Riaz

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

True. Not sure if it’s unique to Bristol City, but our fans hate players who insinuate they’re better than the club. You see that by the Zach Clough threads 4 years on.

All football fans are the same, really! I reckon every set of fans in the league - with the exception of West Brom, probably - think their team is useless at the moment!

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes.......that run and ball to Set up Weimann in the final minute .......pitiful......

Lacking.....

Some of the comments on this thread  embarrassing

I am no O’Dowda fan but does seem a weird one after last night. Thought he come on and did what he was supposed to and provided energy. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am no O’Dowda fan but does seem a weird one after last night. Thought he come on and did what he was supposed to and provided energy. 

He might have done well on the ball and ran around a lot, but teams suddenly able to go thru straight thru as soon as he his in midfield. This isn’t the first time, 

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

He might have done well on the ball and ran around a lot, but teams suddenly able to go thru straight thru as soon as he his in midfield. This isn’t the first time, 

Didn’t think they went through the middle though. I don’t remember them cutting us open through the middle of the pitch. We were compact and narrow when he come on and forced them to funnel everything out wide. He played his part in that imo. Thought Rowe was the poorer of the two subs

6 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Well I guess with  Famara scoring goals and looking good that someone has to be the forum whipping boy.

Keyboard warriors.

Whipping boy? I’m complaining about when he’s played out of position! For once, i’m actually criticising Johnson! So that’s nonsense 

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Didn’t think they went through the middle though. I don’t remember them cutting us open through the middle of the pitch. We were compact and narrow when he come on and forced them to funnel everything out wide. He played his part in that imo. Thought Rowe was the poorer of the two subs

There midfield had way more of the ball. And we were protecting our box.

10 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

He undoubtedly has talent but is frustrating to watch. Can score a worldie like the Norwich goal last year or struggle to make a 5 yard pass. I’m not sure he will want to be a fringe player given his age / international status so he might be off in the summer

Yep I’d suggest he will be one of the first out of the door. Best for both parties imho. 

25 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Whipping boy? I’m complaining about when he’s played out of position! For once, i’m actually criticising Johnson! So that’s nonsense 

Both goals came from our right flank, nowhere near where O’Dowda was sent on to sure up. 

Does always make me chuckle when OTIB has to find any excuse to make a thread to scapegoat a player that they will still do it when a player gets less than 20 minutes at the end and we are holding on to the lead. O’Dowda did as well as he could under the circumstances tonight, gave their midfielders less time on the ball and almost set up a fourth on the break. 

Every time we do two subs at once, even if its like for like players they always switch the subs so the board puts up the "wrong" player to make it less obvious to the opposition bench how we will be setting up.

We have done this for a couple of seasons now and it still confuses large sections of the crowd, and apparently a few on here as well!

17 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Both goals came from our right flank, nowhere near where O’Dowda was sent on to sure up. 

Does always make me chuckle when OTIB has to find any excuse to make a thread to scapegoat a player that they will still do it when a player gets less than 20 minutes at the end and we are holding on to the lead. O’Dowda did as well as he could under the circumstances tonight, gave their midfielders less time on the ball and almost set up a fourth on the break. 

As i said above. Not scapegoating the player at all. Its a criticism of the manager... the player is out of position.

I'd actually play O'Dowda saturday, in place of Elliasson!

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

I’m by no means a huge fan of his, but there’s definitely some unconscious bias against O’Dowda following the contract fallout.

Agreed.

His breakaway was good at the end, and I think O'Dowda has attributes- but I just have a personal leaning for control purposes towards 3 genuine CMs...Rowe in a genuine 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 hybrid may have been ideal in some ways- but then again late on we did create a number of chances/breakaways and O'Dowda played his part. With Rowe we may have dropped still further back and lost the two points.

54 minutes ago, Riaz said:

It’s unnecessary complaining because he put him there, to do a job and he did okay. Then again my post before wasn’t actually aimed at you but thanks.

2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I’m by no means a huge fan of his, but there’s definitely some unconscious bias against O’Dowda following the contract fallout.

There is some very conscious bias on my part because of that.  If you're going to be such a prima donna to refuse to sign the contract you asked for and then come crawling back a few months later when nobody was actually interested in signing you, you have a lot of goodwill to make up in your performances and O'Dowda hasn't.  He runs fast in straight lines, pussies out of challenges, offers nothing defensively and has minimal end product.  It's madness to bring him on defending a lead.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

There is some very conscious bias on my part because of that.  If you're going to be such a prima donna to refuse to sign the contract you asked for and then come crawling back a few months later when nobody was actually interested in signing you, you have a lot of goodwill to make up in your performances and O'Dowda hasn't.  He runs fast in straight lines, pussies out of challenges, offers nothing defensively and has minimal end product.  It's madness to bring him on defending a lead.

So will you have the same problem with Eliasson if he doesn't sign a new contract that is offered?

O'Dowda wants what is best for him. Like all players.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So will you have the same problem with Eliasson if he doesn't sign a new contract that is offered?

Yes. If they dont wanna play for the club, thats there perogative. But dont expect us fans to be happy about it.

34 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No I won't have a problem with a player choosing not to sign a contract.  Never have.  I'll have a problem with Eliasson if he makes a series of contract demands and then refuses to sign a contract when those demands are met, has to be left out of the side because he's not in the right place mentally, comes crawling back several months later when there's no interest in him, and at the same time his on the field end product drops to about a tenth of where it is currently and he starts jumping tackles.  O'Dowda flatters to deceive because he can run a bit with the ball but he rarely produces anything and he's less use defensively than any other midfielder and he's a diver.

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

No I won't have a problem with a player choosing not to sign a contract.  Never have.  I'll have a problem with Eliasson if he makes a series of contract demands and then refuses to sign a contract when those demands are met, has to be left out of the side because he's not in the right place mentally, comes crawling back several months later when there's no interest in him, and at the same time his on the field end product drops to about a tenth of where it is currently and he starts jumping tackles.  O'Dowda flatters to deceive because he can run a bit with the ball but he rarely produces anything and he's less use defensively than any other midfielder and he's a diver.

I imagine the agents deal with it. Like all agents, they will be trying to get their player the most money at the current club or often trying to get a bigger move. I bet O'Dowda didn't say a thing to the club and just left it to his agent. That's what they're there for, it's their job isn't it? Player just concentrates on football and agent negotiates deals etc.

As a player, fair enough if you don't rate him. Leeds, Fulham and Forest were all supposed to be interested. Fulham certainly bidded for him. I bet other managers at our level will come in for him if he were to become available.

I rate him as a good, hard working player. Runs his socks off. Decent pace and can take players on. Good player to have at this level imo. One of those players managers maybe like more than fans.

I think he helped when he came on. He was the obvious player to bring on with his running when we looked tired.

Archived