IGNORED

Massive credit to Lee Johnson

reddogkev

Glad we got the three points against Derby, and to see us scoring three goals. But unhappy that we made such hard work of it.

Reporter: “Don’t tell me your heart rate is alright after that one? “

Lee: “To be honest, I wasn’t too bad! I felt like we had to give people something to moan about, do you know what I mean? Especially in Bristol.”

So like Brexit’s remoaners, Johnson has branded us as Lee-moaners.

Not the best way to make friends and influence people (even in jest).

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Both are designed to get a reaction if written in a certain way. My take on it is that the OP is stirring masked behind making an attempt NOT to stir. You think it's not, no problem.

Well I find it bizarre that anyone would get wound up by someone being positive about an exciting home win, with us currently being right in the mix.

Not much to be angry about imo.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well I find it bizarre that anyone would get wound up by someone being positive about an exciting home win, with us currently being right in the mix.

Not much to be angry about imo.

Haha! No Jon I'm neither angry nor wound up about it - just sharing my opinion. If you don't agree, as I said before, no problem.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Haha! No Jon I'm neither angry nor wound up about it - just sharing my opinion. If you don't agree, as I said before, no problem.

I'm not saying you. I'm saying anyone that is wound up.

When you say he's stirring it surely means you think people could be wound up by it.

And reading his post again I find it ridiculous that anyone would be wound up by someone being positive after last night's performance and result.

But you are probably right, sadly.

27 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Glad we got the three points against Derby, and to see us scoring three goals. But unhappy that we made such hard work of it.

Reporter: “Don’t tell me your heart rate is alright after that one? “

Lee: “To be honest, I wasn’t too bad! I felt like we had to give people something to moan about, do you know what I mean? Especially in Bristol.”

So like Brexit’s remoaners, Johnson has branded us as Lee-moaners.

Not the best way to make friends and influence people (even in jest).

Offence can only be taken, not given. Anyone who is genuinely offended by this comment should give their head a wee wobble.

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t like the word ‘haters’ - I don’t think anyone truly ‘hates’ LJ - that’s way too strong a word ... those who aren’t convinced he’s the best man for the job simply put views across to back up their thoughts - the vast majority have never personally met the fella so ‘hate’ is neither appropriate or likely - in the same way those who support our Head Coach aren’t dubbed “LJ lovers” ...

Literally a day or 2 ago there was a post akin to saying some see LJ like a God.

3 hours ago, frenchred said:

What a boring post! Your just as bad as the haters, top 2? We ain't even in the top 6 and I would edge my bets that after the next two games we will be further away and it's all down to our shit home form, crap selection and tactics! Happy to be proved wrong though

What a boring post 

3 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Did you also congratulate him for taking off Wells who was really keeping the Derby defence pinned back and reverting to his ultra negative mode.

We were playing great creating chances so why change it apart from replacing Corrie (who looked off the pace all evening)

We missed two sitters after changing shape you absolute melt. 

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

Ok...if you want LJ out........who do you suggest we replace him with? ........Please do not say Chris Houghton.  It's a cliche, but  "You don't know what youv'e got, till it's gone"

Presume you mean Chris Hughton - the guy who has promoted two clubs from the championship into the premier league without needing the play offs? Perish the thought ...

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Sorry............you seemed so knowledgeable, I thought you were an expert?  My mistake!   But now I can see............ your yet another, in a long line,  who knows how to break something,  but has no idea how to fix it? 

So you admit it is broken too? And when did I ever claim to be an expert? Did you forget a forum is rammed with opinions? Of course sacking LJ comes with risk of going backwards but I would assume a club as forward thinking as us has a list of candidates ready in case LJ ever did leave. Why a fan would have a list ready is beyond me? 

3 hours ago, frenchred said:

What a boring post! Your just as bad as the haters, top 2? We ain't even in the top 6 and I would edge my bets that after the next two games we will be further away and it's all down to our shit home form, crap selection and tactics! Happy to be proved wrong though

Many seem to want to damn LJ after even one defeat, let alone a run of poor games, while giving no credit for any success, while others seem equally quick to heap praise on him for a decent run while ignoring poor runs of form and mistakes he's made. 

The reality is that  we are in mid February and we are within just 3 points of three teams that attract praise from many one here, usually comparing us less  than favourably to them as a means of highlighting our deficiencies, whether that be recruitment, players, playing style and particularly management/coaching. After the Brentford defeat, how many honestly believed we would now be within 3 points of second place?

After a slow start, last night saw an upturn in home performance against a team themselves on a good run of form and results , notwithstanding the last quarter following debatable substitutions. That this coincided with 3 new additions ( 2 of whom are probably not yet fully match sharp) augers well for the rest of the season and might just see an improvement in home form and results, which I agree will probably be the difference between making the play offs ( or even being in contention for one of the automatic spots) or not.

3 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

One other point. When are we going to become professional. In the build up to the second Derby goal, any other club would have committed a "technical foul" took the yellow card and prevented a goal.

Instead Eliasson was brushed aside and we were wide open.

This is ALL about coaching and as sad as it is, it is a part of winning today

The "one for the team" foul has been around since the game started. In my young days, we had Ginger Peacock and Dennis Roberts as one's who were well known for them.

And while the legendary Gerry Gow was a much better footballer than many realized, he along with such as Gerry Sweeney, were not averse to ensuring attackers didn't get close enough to goal, if they could do anything to stop them.

Someone needs to coach the Eliassons and Callums about the dark arts!

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Many seem to want to damn LJ after even one defeat, let alone a run of poor games, while giving no credit for any success, while others seem equally quick to heap praise on him for a decent run while ignoring poor runs of form and mistakes he's made. 

The reality is that  we are in mid February and we are within just 3 points of three teams that attract praise from many one here, usually comparing us less  than favourably to them as a means of highlighting our deficiencies, whether that be recruitment, players, playing style and particularly management/coaching. After the Brentford defeat, how many honestly believed we would now be within 3 points of second place?

After a slow start, last night saw an upturn in home performance against a team themselves on a good run of form and results , notwithstanding the last quarter following debatable substitutions. That this coincided with 3 new additions ( 2 of whom are probably not yet fully match sharp) augers well for the rest of the season and might just see an improvement in home form and results, which I agree will probably be the difference between making the play offs ( or even being in contention for one of the automatic spots) or not.

That bit applies to literally nobody. 

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Well, we know what happened last season and the season before.

And we are in the same position (points wise) as those two seasons - hopefully we have a better outcome this season;

Bristol City after 32 matches in the same league / division
  GP W D L GF GA Pts * Comparison
2019-2020 32 15 8 9 48 45 53 -
2018-2019 32 15 8 9 42 33 53 0 pts
2017-2018 32 14 11 7 47 38 53 0 pts
2016-2017 32 9 5 18 42 48 32 + 21 pts
2015-2016 32 8 10 14 29 48 34 + 19 pts
2012-2013 32 9 4 19 45 60 31 + 22 pts
2011-2012 32 8 7 17 27 49 31 + 22 pts
2010-2011 32 9 8 15 36 48 35 + 18 pts

I demand you add in 14/15 and we’ll pretend it was the Championship!

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

So you admit it is broken too? And when did I ever claim to be an expert? Did you forget a forum is rammed with opinions? Of course sacking LJ comes with risk of going backwards but I would assume a club as forward thinking as us has a list of candidates ready in case LJ ever did leave. Why a fan would have a list ready is beyond me? 

At what juncture did i say it is broken?............Adjust your spec's..........I was speaking hypothetically.   I think we are making gradual progress with a young manager who is making some mistakes as he continues, but in general is making a very good job of it.  I fully support LJ, although I get frustrated with him sometimes, I believe it would be absurd to get rid of him at the present moment.   Come the end of the season, it will be looked at, and assessed, by the board..............it is all dependent where we end up in May.  I think he has done an excellent job, and I will continue to support him and the club.   Why suggest he should be sacked, when you have no idea who to replace him with?........You state 'why would a fan have a list"?    I ask you...........why would a fan be in a position to advocate the sacking of a manager, when he has no idea of a solution for his replacement?       It is like dumping your car at the scrap yard, and then having no knowledge of what to replace it with, because you no nothing about cars?  So you end up walking to work, because you have absolutely no idea what your doing............sounds stupid to me?  ?

18 minutes ago, maxjak said:

At what juncture did i say it is broken?............Adjust your spec's..........I was speaking hypothetically.   I think we are making gradual progress with a young manager who is making some mistakes as he continues, but in general is making a very good job of it.  I fully support LJ, although I get frustrated with him sometimes, I believe it would be absurd to get rid of him at the present moment.   Come the end of the season, it will be looked at, and assessed, by the board..............it is all dependent where we end up in May.  I think he has done an excellent job, and I will continue to support him and the club.   Why suggest he should be sacked, when you have no idea who to replace him with?........You state 'why would a fan have a list"?    I ask you...........why would a fan be in a position to advocate the sacking of a manager, when he has no idea of a solution for his replacement?       It is like dumping your car at the scrap yard, and then having no knowledge of what to replace it with, because you no nothing about cars?  So you end up walking to work, because you have absolutely no idea what your doing............sounds stupid to me?  ?

I would be invested in a car and would do my research before buying. I am not part of any decision making on who would be manager so not sure the analogy works.

I suggest he isn’t the right man to take us further than where we are now. Even if he scraped us into the playoffs, with performances in mind, I don’t think he’d be able to build on that. I could throw out a bunch of names but I am not an expert on coaches outside of head coaches/managers and I wouldn’t suggest someone in a job at a higher level. Maybe John Terry fancies a top job now. I’d certainly give him an interview. Like I said no one knew Farke or Wagner. No one mentioned them on Huddersfield or Norwich forums. It is not a fans job to have names. It isn’t like players where you can watch and see what they can and can’t do. There could be a manager in Ligue 2 with no resources at all and has a side in 8th who could do a great job here but I wouldn’t know. I am sure the club would though. 

I misread the broken line. 

I have supported LJ when it was much dire circumstances. I said keep him in the middle of his 8 game losing streak. I have said keep him up until about early December. Fact is there were always signs of getting better. From players getting better in a bad season like Brownhill. To the football getting better and us faltering due to injuries. To last season where we weren’t as great to watch but grinded results. Then this season grinding results but more and more often feeling like we are stealing 3 points rather than earning them. Performances are worse than last season even if the points are similar. So yes after time I have lost faith in his ability to do more. I don’t believe he can do both get us into the playoffs or if he does be an actual threat to go up. 

I’d love for you all to say I was wrong and I am not a negative person when at the ground or when I go away to watch. I am just critical of the style of football we have displayed this season. If we play 80% of the rest of our games at a level similar to last night I may sway back towards LJ maybe having some hope of doing more but atm I feel we have been poor and are riding our luck. 

We’ve got a pretty good squad now, but Lee’s tactics still seem to baffle me. 

Fortunately we held out for the win, but it should have been more comfortable than it was. 3-2 and Wells is off the pitch....we survived in my opinion.

No massive credit from me, but very happy with the 3 points and there is hardly anything between the teams at the top now. Our goal difference let’s us down which says a lot about our defensive frailties overall.

10 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I still stand by wanting LJ out. Credit for picking up 5 wins out of 6 but we all know he can do this. I was much happier last night because the side played with energy and intent. He’d be in credit with me if we had played this way at home all season. Now to grow he needs to keep the run up to an extent. 

Two things bothered me about last night. One, he should have had that lineup Friday. Maybe not Benkovic but Wells with Fam and Henriksen for at least an hour. Second, I don’t think he made the best decisions with subs and it made the game a bit closer than it had to be. Would have brought Baker on myself as they were only able to go wide and get crosses in. Maybe both goals happen anyway as I wouldn’t have changed it at 3-0 and the second goal the CBs were up from a set piece but think I’d have done it at 3-1. 

Hope he proves me wrong. I need to see that intensity for the rest of the season to change my mind. If last night was a turning point he is on the right path. 

I rarely criticise a City starting line-up.  Pretty much ever player is more than capable of pulling on a city shirt and playing well.

However one thing I said pre-game to the Robins Tv commentator was the options from the bench.  With Henriksen making his debut and not played for nearly 3 months I was surprised Nagy nor Massengo were on the bench.  Couple that with Smith’s recent injury record!  He obviously had Rowe on the bench to cover multiple options, which meant he could’ve sacrificed O’Dowda.

I’m pretty sure Henriksen was coming off on 77 minutes.  But with Smith picking up a knock, they swapped subs.  Had Henriksen come off and THEN Smith pulled up, we might have looked a bit light!

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I rarely criticise a City starting line-up.  Pretty much ever player is more than capable of pulling on a city shirt and playing well.

However one thing I said pre-game to the Robins Tv commentator was the options from the bench.  With Henriksen making his debut and not played for nearly 3 months I was surprised Nagy nor Massengo were on the bench.  Couple that with Smith’s recent injury record!  He obviously had Rowe on the bench to cover multiple options, which meant he could’ve sacrificed O’Dowda.

I’m pretty sure Henriksen was coming off on 77 minutes.  But with Smith picking up a knock, they swapped subs.  Had Henriksen come off and THEN Smith pulled up, we might have looked a bit light!

Did think it was odd neither was on the bench. Have since heard Nagy was not well. Figured Rowe would be the cover and maybe Benkovic/Williams as an emergency if we really needed it. 

26 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Did think it was odd neither was on the bench. Have since heard Nagy was not well. Figured Rowe would be the cover and maybe Benkovic/Williams as an emergency if we really needed it. 

Yes, me too, and that’s why I don’t go whingeing (too much ???) pre-game.

Good point re Benkovic filing into DM role (Baker on).

10 hours ago, MATT BCFC said:

With Fam and Wells upfront and the quality out wide we have in Elliasson, Dasilva and Hunt we are gonna be a handful for any side. 

Hope we play same team against Leeds and really go for it. 

The reason we are on a decent run is all down to us ‘not going for it’!

If we really go for it at Leeds, they will pick us off, we are a side atm that are happy for the opposition to have the ball and we counter. It’s working well at the moment, as long as the opposition don’t score first..........

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Always good for debating to start off by calling someone an “absolute melt” - or perhaps you simply want to antagonise and wind people up straightaway - are you in a hurry?! 

I mean, the post I was replying to wasn't exactly a debate starter now was it. 

Sometimes the blunt response is the only one. 

We didn't lose all attacking threat, as we should have scored twice but for two absolutely pub standard misses (Fam should get credit for the run and at least the composure to try dink it, Andi's was painfully bad) 

Archived