IGNORED

Massive credit to Lee Johnson

reddogkev

On 13/02/2020 at 12:19, cidered abroad said:

For me, the subs made changed it from a comfortable 3-0 to a nail biting last twenty minutes.

I would have gone three at the back with Baker coming on for Smith (after his knock).

Told the full backs to stay rather than still go searching for openings.

Brought Rowe on instead of Eliasson to shut down the Derby right wing.

I do not see what O'Dowda brought to the game. He neither defends well in the middle of the park and he had two good opportunities for shots on goal yet as always, opted out by passing it.

However, I'm delighted with the win. Derby seemed very poor defending set pieces but with as we do not shut down games at 3-0, they have enough forward quality to have even levelled it at the end.

Yet again, I must note that Bentley stopped a shot in the first half by parrying the ball back in the direction from whence it had come. Luckily a defender headed it back to him (Bentley). He must learn how to turn shots, that he cannot catch, over the bar or round the post instead of creating another chance of goal for the opposition.

I’m not a huge O’Dowda fan but thought he was excellent when he came on and helped see the game out. He harried Rooney rather than giving him all the time in the world. He looked lively and fully deserved his place in the squad on that performance.

I also think there was nothing wrong with Johnson’s subs. He wanted to make a double sub but had to change his plans when Korey picked up a knock. We were losing the midfield battle so had to sacrifice a striker. Yes Wells is our new striker and has scored more than Fam this season, but Fam is currently undroppable in his current form and is the better lone  striker. yes they were causing us problems down our right, but bringing on Weimann put a stop to that. Watching it back now I think we saw it out comfortably and had 2 great chances to kill the game off. Their goals came due to lapses in concentration and nothing to with lee Johnson and certainly nothing to do with his subs on this occasion. In fact I think Weimann and O’Dowda were instrumental in seeing the game out.

you sir are speaking nonsense.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I rarely criticise a City starting line-up.  Pretty much ever player is more than capable of pulling on a city shirt and playing well.

However one thing I said pre-game to the Robins Tv commentator was the options from the bench.  With Henriksen making his debut and not played for nearly 3 months I was surprised Nagy nor Massengo were on the bench.  Couple that with Smith’s recent injury record!  He obviously had Rowe on the bench to cover multiple options, which meant he could’ve sacrificed O’Dowda.

I’m pretty sure Henriksen was coming off on 77 minutes.  But with Smith picking up a knock, they swapped subs.  Had Henriksen come off and THEN Smith pulled up, we might have looked a bit light!

Not sure about massengo, but I’m sure Johnson said Nagy has been suffering from flu/a cold.

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Always good for debating to start off by calling someone an “absolute melt” - or perhaps you simply want to antagonise and wind people up straightaway - are you in a hurry?! 

Those sitters did happen of course but occurred when Derby was throwing the kirchen sink at us so were vulnerable to a counter attack.

I think the substitutions affected the dynamic of the game but it was still a massive improvement after Brum.

13 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

The reason we are on a decent run is all down to us ‘not going for it’!

If we really go for it at Leeds, they will pick us off, we are a side atm that are happy for the opposition to have the ball and we counter. It’s working well at the moment, as long as the opposition don’t score first..........

Like last Friday ?? 

For 50 minutes against Derby we played like a home side and long may that continue.

On 13/02/2020 at 13:58, jonb said:

Yeah,I can't believe he picked the same side which had won four on the bounce - I wonder what goes through his head sometimes. Anyone would think he got stick for having a tombola normally.   What's he like, hey?

Why would he get in three players to strengthen the squad and not start any of them?

The four wins were hardly against Championship pacesetters.  They were games we needed to win and all credit to the team as they ensured we remain part of the race, but leave the team as it was, really?  With  those three new signings available?  Decisions like that are just baffling; don't give me the sentimental "the team just won four in a row".  So what? Some of it wasn't pretty and we rode our luck.

We want and deserve our strongest team out - we didn't have it against Birmingham and got what we deserved.

On 13/02/2020 at 12:19, cidered abroad said:

For me, the subs made changed it from a comfortable 3-0 to a nail biting last twenty minutes.

I would have gone three at the back with Baker coming on for Smith (after his knock).

Told the full backs to stay rather than still go searching for openings.

Brought Rowe on instead of Eliasson to shut down the Derby right wing.

I do not see what O'Dowda brought to the game. He neither defends well in the middle of the park and he had two good opportunities for shots on goal yet as always, opted out by passing it.

However, I'm delighted with the win. Derby seemed very poor defending set pieces but with as we do not shut down games at 3-0, they have enough forward quality to have even levelled it at the end.

Yet again, I must note that Bentley stopped a shot in the first half by parrying the ball back in the direction from whence it had come. Luckily a defender headed it back to him (Bentley). He must learn how to turn shots, that he cannot catch, over the bar or round the post instead of creating another chance of goal for the opposition.

It was 3-1 when the subs were made. The subs Johnson made were very smart O’Dowda is very good at game management, Smith obviously got injured and Rowe was the only midfielder on the bench, Weimann also is a grafter who can see out a game.

3 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Those sitters did happen of course but occurred when Derby was throwing the kirchen sink at us so were vulnerable to a counter attack.

I think the substitutions affected the dynamic of the game but it was still a massive improvement after Brum.

I think you meant to quote J-Mat with this response, rather than my post ...?!

45 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

It was 3-1 when the subs were made. The subs Johnson made were very smart O’Dowda is very good at game management, Smith obviously got injured and Rowe was the only midfielder on the bench, Weimann also is a grafter who can see out a game.

O'Dowda is very good at game management!

How do you come to that conclusion? I would really like to know, please.

@Charlie BCFC

On 14/02/2020 at 16:50, cidered abroad said:

O'Dowda is very good at game management!

How do you come to that conclusion? I would really like to know, please.

@Charlie BCFC

When he gets the ball in the closing minutes always runs to the corner flag instead of risking it to potentially give the other team another chance to go forward. I’d say that’s pretty good game management.

3 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

When he gets the ball in the closing minutes always runs to the corner flag instead of risking it to potentially give the other team another chance to go forward. I’d say that’s pretty good game management.

It’s also common sense...................:cool2:

On 13/02/2020 at 13:47, frenchred said:

What a boring post! Your just as bad as the haters, top 2? We ain't even in the top 6 and I would edge my bets that after the next two games we will be further away and it's all down to our shit home form, crap selection and tactics! Happy to be proved wrong though

Hate to say I told you so, but I will anyway

On 13/02/2020 at 11:25, reddogkev said:

On OTIB, whenever City lose, the usual threads appear clamouring for Lee to be sacked and claiming that he's clueless, etc,

So, after a good home win, full of excitement and nerve-jangling apprehension, I'd like to offer some gratitude for Lee.

And no, this is not point scoring against his haters, so no arguments necessary, but just want to say well done to Lee and everyone at City for taking us into contention for the top two.

Quality work, keep it up!  Here's looking forward to a strong finish to the season.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSS!!!!

I'm not having a pop, I would just really like to hear your thoughts now a few games later?

On 13/02/2020 at 11:25, reddogkev said:

On OTIB, whenever City lose, the usual threads appear clamouring for Lee to be sacked and claiming that he's clueless, etc,

So, after a good home win, full of excitement and nerve-jangling apprehension, I'd like to offer some gratitude for Lee.

And no, this is not point scoring against his haters, so no arguments necessary, but just want to say well done to Lee and everyone at City for taking us into contention for the top two.

Quality work, keep it up!  Here's looking forward to a strong finish to the season.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSS!!!!

So, you’ve gone from starting this thread on 13th February to posting ‘you are willing to bet he’ll be sacked if we lose at Millwall’ on 25th February in the ‘LJ post match comments’ thread - good grief - what happened to you in that 12 day window?! 

Archived