IGNORED

Do we reckon 6 from 8 or is it wider open than that?

LondonBristolian

Looking at the table, there's a bit of a gap developing below us.

Cardiff are 4 points behind then Swansea and Blackburn are 6 points off the play-offs, Millwall 7, Wednesday 9 and Derby and Birmingham 10.

I can't help thinking - whether or not we can sustain our push - that the top six will be comprised the current top six, us or Cardiff. 6 points is a possible gap to make up but I'm not sure Swansea or Blackburn are that consistent. Ditto Millwall and Wednesday. And it would need a fairly colossal collapse from three of the top eight for Derby, Birmingham or a team below to gatecrash the top six.

What do others think? Can anyone else see a team from Swansea or below making it into the play-offs or is the race narrowing?

38 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Look at what Villa did last year, I think everyone up to Birmingham is still in with a shout of going up. All it takes is a good 5 game winning streak and you're in the playoffs or top two depending on where you are from there

I agree re Villa but Villa had a really strong squad and were underperforming. I may be wrong but I just don't see Swansea, Blackburn, Millwall or Birmingham sustaining a consistent run of excellent from between now and the end of the season in the way Villa did. I could see Derby doing it but it is still a large gap. I certainly wouldn't rule out any of those teams overhauling teams in the top eight but Derby or Birmingham would need to overhaul three of the top eight. So they'd need to get 6 points more than Cardiff, 10 points more than us and 10 points more than Preston (or, if they failed on any one of those either 11 points more than Forest or Brentford or 13 more than Fulham or Leeds. I can see one or two of the top of eight stumbling in the next 3 months but I'm not sure I can see three teams doing so - especially as Forest, Brentford and Fulham have been solidly consistent over recent months...

So long as the ‘ stumbling ‘ club is not from Bristol I don’t really care .

This is the best chance we’ve ever had of making the playoffs and winning them . This division is wide open but as you note there is a little bit of a gap opening up for the top eight.

I don’t think it’s going to change a great deal . I can see us nicking the sixth place off Preston quite simply because we have a bigger squad and as the pressure mounts and the games whizz by players will suffer . 

Here’s hoping . 

Not looking forward to Saturday at all.

Driving my City supporting friend to Elland Rd, he’ll be sat with you guys and I’ll be in the home end.

Horrendous weather will stifle any pattern to the game, the manager persists with Kiko the Clown in goal and Barndoor Bamford up front.

In terms of the top 6/8. You also need to fa toe in games against each other, for example Fulham have to play ALL 7 of the top 8.

We thankfully (including tomorrow) only have yourselves and Fulham left.

WBA have a tough month or so as well.

I think Millwall are the ones to look out for, their remaining games look very favourable overall and they seem to have developed a style of play which is effective.

7 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

Driving my City supporting friend to Elland Rd, he’ll be sat with you guys and I’ll be in the home end.

Horrendous weather will stifle any pattern to the game, the manager persists with Kiko the Clown in goal and Barndoor Bamford up front.

In terms of the top 6/8. You also need to fa toe in games against each other, for example Fulham have to play ALL 7 of the top 8.

I think Millwall are the ones to look out for, their remaining games look very favourable overall and they seem to have developed a style of play which is effective.

You make it sound so easy .

We , hopefully, won’t fall into the trap of thinking that. 

Whilst you’re on a dreadful run results wise you still have the quality to beat anyone , plus you have Nketiah to replace Bamford, oh no wait ...

I would love a result against you lot it has been too long . 

Anyway here’s to a good match and may the best team win .

( so long as the best team is City ) 

24 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

We are so overdue a win at Elland Road, but I still have this horrible feeling we will get a drubbing.

Even at 2-0 up a couple of seasons ago, when you were a relatively poor side, we managed to balls it up and finish 2-2.

Elland Road is just "one of those grounds", for us. 

11 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

We are so overdue a win at Elland Road, but I still have this horrible feeling we will get a drubbing.

Even at 2-0 up a couple of seasons ago, when you were a relatively poor side, we managed to balls it up and finish 2-2.

Elland Road is just "one of those grounds", for us. 

That game “we” the crowd got the team over the line. Remember it like yesterday we hit the bar in the final minute.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Looking at the table, there's a bit of a gap developing below us.

Cardiff are 4 points behind then Swansea and Blackburn are 6 points off the play-offs, Millwall 7, Wednesday 9 and Derby and Birmingham 10.

I can't help thinking - whether or not we can sustain our push - that the top six will be comprised the current top six, us or Cardiff. 6 points is a possible gap to make up but I'm not sure Swansea or Blackburn are that consistent. Ditto Millwall and Wednesday. And it would need a fairly colossal collapse from three of the top eight for Derby, Birmingham or a team below to gatecrash the top six.

What do others think? Can anyone else see a team from Swansea or below making it into the play-offs or is the race narrowing?

I think Cardiff are the only team that can break into the top 6.

Edit...besides us, obviously...

I get the 6 from 8 line, but think that makes our chances sound too high.

I know the points look very close, but I just cannot see WBA, Leeds, Brentford or Fulham missing out on the top 6. Brentford, maybe...but think those 4 are playing for the top two. For me that leaves maybe as many as six teams battling for the last two spots. Cardifff worry me more than Preston to be honest.

If we win the next two 3-0 I might reassess this.

9 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Cardiff are a worry only wba have lost less... tomlin looking like one of the best players in the league at the moment

Oh the irony of the “City rejects” from over the bridge (Dragons? Bluebirds? Sheep connosieurs?) making the playoffs and not us. That would be too much to bear. Given the choice of them or Preston making the playoffs on the last game of the season (assuming that we have gone on a losing streak and blown our chances again) I would suggest just throwing the game!!

2 hours ago, SPAZZA said:

The bugger always seems to find his shooting boots when you play us though......…......………..

2 hours ago, mozo said:

I think Cardiff are the only team that can break into the top 6.

Edit...besides us, obviously...

Word is we are finally starting to click, very unlike us as I don’t recall us ever kicking in this time of year. Harris has found a system, Murphy who cost 11 million is starting to look like the player he was supposed to be, as is will vaulks and your old buddy Tomlin is on fire.  We have wigan at home on Saturday so could go four points behind Leeds should you beat them, which you could I think and go level on 56. Leeds and forest still have to come to us too. It’s definitely warming up.

With no one apart from WBA looking like they want to run away with it, it looks like it will be nip and tuck for 5 places. Then just below there are teams down to Millwall in 11th only 6 points behind 6th. You regularly get teams coming from nowhere, for me that could be Brum as an outsider. They are only 13 points off 2nd with 42 to play for, would take some effort but I wouldn't count them out. The form table shows how the top teams have been reeled in a bit. Leeds 18th in current form.1624678181_Screenshot2020-02-13at20_48_05.png.692b68624cc54c7a7a7b01c41a073554.png

31 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

With no one apart from WBA looking like they want to run away with it, it looks like it will be nip and tuck for 5 places. Then just below there are teams down to Millwall in 11th only 6 points behind 6th. You regularly get teams coming from nowhere, for me that could be Brum as an outsider. They are only 13 points off 2nd with 42 to play for, would take some effort but I wouldn't count them out. The form table shows how the top teams have been reeled in a bit. Leeds 18th in current form.1624678181_Screenshot2020-02-13at20_48_05.png.692b68624cc54c7a7a7b01c41a073554.png

Brum had a second hearing today....might get a points deduction.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Brum had a second hearing today....might get a points deduction.

Forgot to allow for that, if it happens. Actually, if it does happen I think it will be harsh, considering I've seen Tweets suggesting Derby may get off, which will be a shame.

I would definitely rule out Hull and below from making the PO's. Will need to be something special from Brum, Derby and Sheff Wed as they need at least 10 wins from last 14 - so really can probably rule them out too.

That leaves Millwall upwards who are all capable of good and bad runs. Would expect it to be very tight and the PO mark to be around 74 or 75 despite current rate of 76. With Preston and Cardiff at home still to play, we have a great chance.

Archived