IGNORED

125th anniversary shirt

Pickle Rick

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Any word from the club yet, I would imagine they have seen the feedback 

We've seen the negative feedback but what we don't know is how many fans are happy with the shirt and have pre ordered it - it's a 'limited edition' so perhaps the club have sold as many as they hoped to.

In which case no doubt they'd see it as a success.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Surely its a joke? It's exactly the sort of thing JL would conjure up as some sort of joke

On the basis that you have to pay in full on pre-ordering I very much doubt it. As @Olé says these things take a lot of time to get to market so I can only imagine this is the real deal. Unfortunately. 

One thing’s for sure, it will for evermore crop up in the usual rehash of the Worst Kits Ever articles that tend to come out at the start of every season. Might even be top, beating Coventry and Norwich! No such thing as bad publicity?

On 13/02/2020 at 19:06, RedM said:

Why oh why didn’t they do a new version of the kit they had quite a few years back where all the players who had ever played for us were on it, tiny little names for those of you too young to remember. 

Gloucester Rugby did that, it was on Points West last night with Ally Durden and an old player, who's name I can't remember. It looked good.

On 14/02/2020 at 15:18, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, plenty of good designers on here and @Olé understands the stock/supply chain side of things. Easy to make a shortlist and have members vote.. could be a good solution if this kit is genuinely real and not a joke.

The only issue with this is that you'll never please everyone. 

I've made so many kits in the past and you can tick every box thrown at you and still not please everyone. 

I think the issue with the 125 celebration idea is that you really need to capture the history of the club and satisfy numerous generations who have all seen something different to make them fall in love with the club. 

Do you use the current Robin? The old Robin? The coat of arms? Do you add elements such as the 82, suspension bridge etc? 

Do you go for a classic all red or mix it up with some of the white elements used in the past? 

Personally I think the best "classic" kit would be a simple all red design with a white collar, maybe have the suspension bridge with an 82 over it on the back before the neck, also in red so that it is only noticeable up close. 

That said I'm sure there would be plenty of people who would complain that the design would be too plain. 

24 minutes ago, Spike said:

I've made so many kits in the past and you can tick every box thrown at you and still not please everyone

Good point.

Do I suppose the aim is to please as many as possible?

The opposite of the clubs efforts here.

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s just so laughable. How many people agreed that it looked good?

Is there a single person on this thread who likes it?

Imo, it's aimed at youth, not old gits like us.

I've noticed the trend with youth is to wear clothing that clashes and looks a complete mess.

Just my hunch.

On 13/02/2020 at 17:01, FreshPrinceofBristol said:

Love that.

On 13/02/2020 at 17:02, One man went.... said:

Old School Hire-rite that.. I like

On 13/02/2020 at 17:13, Silvio Dante said:

I’m in the unsure group. Some bits I like, some bits I don’t - but I don’t think it hangs together that bad.

Now, who’s up for a game of guess the original shirts...

On 13/02/2020 at 17:13, Badger08 said:

I actually like it haha.

It's supposed to be mental,.it's a one off shirt.

On 13/02/2020 at 17:17, David Brent said:

I quite like it. 

Not as good as my 1997 Centenary shirt though..?

On 13/02/2020 at 17:19, erndogz said:

That's a pretty sweet shirt. Twists your melon a bit and will split the fan base.

On 13/02/2020 at 17:49, alexukhc said:

Someone send me a discount code so I can get it for £12.50, it’s ******* beautiful 

On 13/02/2020 at 18:11, ZiderEyed said:

The more I see it the more I like it. I hated it at first but I sort of think it looks okay now.

Only shame is that DUNDER is scrawled across it.

On 13/02/2020 at 18:12, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Rascal. I'm in. 

On 13/02/2020 at 18:13, handsofclay said:

I like it. Very tempted to get one. It's bold and definitely not conformist. A touch of the surreal about it. It's like Salvador Dali is still alive and progressed into kit design. It's a talking point. 

On 13/02/2020 at 20:04, ZiderEyed said:

Think I'm gonna get one. Really like it now. And yes I've been at the Janet's Jungle Juice.

On 13/02/2020 at 21:38, alexukhc said:

Don’t care it’s lush 

On 14/02/2020 at 00:03, ZiderheadTJ said:

I must be one of the few who actually like this, A unique kit. Haven’t spent my ST rewards yet, so might actually look at getting it

On 14/02/2020 at 00:58, Spike said:

I've preordered it as I like stitched kits, each to their own I suppose. 

On 14/02/2020 at 12:21, RedJim said:

It's so shit I love it.

22 hours ago, RedYoshi said:

The only way this shirt could look any better is if it were being worn by our lord and saviour Kieran Agard.

There ya go @Fordy62 - not sure if they're all single people or not though, you'd have to ask them... :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I do love the idea that some kit designer finishes his design thinking, well there’s a kit that surely everyone will love. :)

Or more likely, someone at the football club told them what they wanted to do (bizarrely thinking it would be a good idea) and they were just doing as they were told to do. 

On 14/02/2020 at 21:32, Olé said:

To be fair, you can't just make a good football kit. It needs months of planning. Although there's been huge developments in "direct to garment" and "all over" digital shirt printing, generally unless you are in full on mass production, you will be using a "blank" (a generic* item of clothing in a default style and pattern) and then adding a screen (ink design printed over in a few colours) or embroidering a logo.

A great design of football shirt (ie like the broken glass nibor shirt in my first season) needs the material printing with an utterly amazing pattern, the shirt sewn together and the badge added or embroidered. This is why Adidas and other big brands simply  give clubs templates to add their badges to, costs too much to tool up for a unique material and fit. Not going to happen.

Given all the preparation required it is even more amazing that people at City had this long organising material and production of a bespoke design they must have thought up while overdosing on PCP and MDMA.

For anyone who knows them, Streatham Rovers are an exception, if we can find out who did their shirt which I assume is low volume but utterly ridiculously bespoke in a way our 125 shirt can only aspire to, I'm happy to work with @Spike to see what's possible.

*self-indulgent disclaimer: I use blanks but go out of my way to never use the default or cheapest and always find less common or higher quality items, like the ultra soft summer cotton tees or new fitted hoodies. 

My Gerry Gow shirt I had off you is still going strong. Good quality, no fading or bleeding of colour and print still pin Sharp and in place.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

My Gerry Gow shirt I had off you is still going strong. Good quality, no fading or bleeding of colour and print still pin Sharp and in place.

Blimey! My GG T shirt faded and eventually fell apart. It had been through the washing machine numerous times.

I can’t remember who I got from tho but it was via otib.

Archived