IGNORED

Two milestones last night

22A

The three points v Derby means City have now earned 5,501 points since joining the League.

Adding all League, FA Cup and League Cup goals together, since joining the League, Fammy's goal was City's number 7,300.

Two more wins and we'll have chalked up 1800.

Nine more goals needed for 2900 at "tier 2" level.

1 minute ago, 22A said:

The three points v Derby means City have now earned 5,501 points since joining the League.

Adding all League, FA Cup and League Cup goals together, since joining the League, Fammy's goal was City's number 7,300.

Two more wins and we'll have chalked up 1800.

Nine more goals needed for 2900 at "tier 2" level.

Why is 5,501 points a particular milestone?  And what’s so special about 7,300 goals?  Sorry, all these ‘milestones’ are completely lost on me.

I used to work with a northern cricket fan who always said he could never understand all the fuss made about centuries.  He used to say, “after all, its only one more than 99...”.

7 minutes ago, Chivs said:

How often have you heard fans of bigger and better teams than us (pipe down Swindon, I'm not talking about you) say "Do you remember where you were when goal 2900 went in"?

They can stop gloating now!

Swindon fans still bang on about the league cup win when it was about as relevant as the ELF trophy is now 

24 minutes ago, TomF said:

Swindon fans still bang on about the league cup win when it was about as relevant as the ELF trophy is now 

I respectfully disagree - when Swindon won the league cup it was arguably more prestigious than it is today - 91 clubs entered the competition that season - all the big clubs played their strongest teams in every game and Swindon’s run included 4 replays and, as a third division club, they overcame a strong top tier Burnley team over 3 games in the semi final (beat them twice away) to reach the final.

They then stuffed Arsenal at Wembley to claim the trophy. Be honest, if Bristol City had done that in relatively recent times we’d still be crowing about it and demanding statues outside Ashton Gate for the main protagonists...

22 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I respectfully disagree - when Swindon won the league cup it was arguably more prestigious than it is today - 91 clubs entered the competition that season - all the big clubs played their strongest teams in every game and Swindon’s run included 4 replays and, as a third division club, they overcame a strong top tier Burnley team over 3 games in the semi final (beat them twice away) to reach the final.

They then stuffed Arsenal at Wembley to claim the trophy. Be honest, if Bristol City had done that in relatively recent times we’d still be crowing about it and demanding statues outside Ashton Gate for the main protagonists...

You got me hooked mate - why only 91?

22 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Be honest, if Bristol City had done that in relatively recent times we’d still be crowing about it and demanding statues outside Ashton Gate for the main protagonists...

We were the last team to win the League Trophy before the PL sunk their hooks in it, does that count?

49 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I don’t know! That was bugging me too! I couldn’t be bothered to find out which club didn’t bother to register for the 1968/69 season! It wasn’t the gas though, they got dicked at home by Swansea in the first round! Some things never change! We got to the third round and lost at Leeds - as I said, some things never change!

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t know! That was bugging me too! I couldn’t be bothered to find out which club didn’t bother to register for the 1968/69 season! It wasn’t the gas though, they got dicked at home by Swansea in the first round! Some things never change! We got to the third round and lost at Leeds - as I said, some things never change!

TBF to the blue few though at least they have never been knocked out of that competition by a non league club!

Not making the first round is another story however......…......…...……….

57 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

14 minutes ago, miser said:

Swindon had to beat 91 to win it (obviously not all 91)

The link I’ve posted here explains it better - entry wasn’t compulsory until the 1971/1972 season - I still don’t know which was the only club that couldn’t be bothered in 1968/69 tho! http://www.soccer.mistral.co.uk/books/flctext.htm

Archived