IGNORED

Diedhiou Dares to be the real Deal - £25m?

Hampshire Red

I never saw Atyeo live but have seen all our best forwards in the top two tiers since then, Galley, Garland, Goater, Super Bob, Cole not Gas, et al. 

This post is not to suggest Diedhiou is the best but to provoke positive comments on how far the guy has come since our coaches got hold of him, in all aspects of his play:

1) build up play; 2yrs ago he wouldn't know the meaning. Now most of our goals have him heavily involved (all v Derby) 

2) first touch, for those watching Tammy at Burton when everything came off the Chelski's knee or shin, it was like a premonition to our Diedhiou. Now it sticks to his boots

3) heading; last season it always went to an opponent and now he scores, finds neat plays to a red shirt and, Wow, QPR? 

4) shooting; had a decent right foot eg at Hawthorns last season but now looks up when ready to let loose, without being greedy 

5) Finding the net; stats speak for themselves despite us often only playing one up top this season

6) workrate; compared to that tireless colleague Bobby R, Diedhiou looked lazy when he arrived but now his effort s are immense, long runs after 89mins most games

7) allrounder; have we ever had a forward who also did as much good work in our own defense? 

? running the channels; to start we thought he'd taken offside lessons from Kodjia but now his vision, channel-running and timing are better than Tammy's.

9) fans favourite; he got his name sung just because S.82 had an unusually good song for him (Senegal and Knaaawle). Now everyone in the ground, and not just the fans who travel away, see his impact, commitment and skills. 

10) objective views;all of us like some players more than others as is the norm at all clubs. I like Rowe and NE this season but have been won over on Diedhiou so although Lj will get all the credit, and the Club the transfer money when he leaves, I would like to credit the guy with massive improvement and significantly under-rated skills. Even Rob (Ole) who has been harsh on him all season gave him the ultimate 10 after QPR so I'm glad it's not a minority that love the bloke. 

More please Diedhiou, starting against these top two sides 

Must admit.... I've Thought he was a donkey for the last 2 years. Always liked him as a bloke who's trying his best but found him frustrating.

Still has his moments but his touch has improved so much and his awareness and defensive duties have too... genuinely think if we can improve him another 10% he'll be a premier league striker.....

Earlier this season I thought he was generally below par.  LJ left him out a few games, and I think he came back versus Charlton with a rocket up his arse.  He scored, took the desperation to do well a bit too far and got red-carded.  Following the suspension he carried on the kind of performances we saw in that 25 minute cameo v Charlton.  Prior to that game I sensed him going through the motions.

Fair play to him.  I thought his performance v Huddersfield (after a sub comeback v West Brom, where he scored to give us hope at 1-2) was everything I wanted, without the goal.  But he was better away at Fulham the following game where he duly got a deserved goal...a 1yd tap-in!

He might not have hit those levels every game since, but I don’t think he’s had a poor game either, with most being above the bar I expect of him.  I can’t give him any more credit than that.

I’ve been critical of some aspects of his game but I think I’ve praised other elements, and in a lot of cases blamed tactics / his role, rather than Fam per se.

Re point 6) when he joined, I don’t think he was lazy, just taken back by the pace, intensity and physicality of this league, but he did settle, and I think we saw some very good performances up until his knee injury in the EFL Cup.  I think it has taken this long to see regular performances at this level.

Re point ? (not sure why 8 doesn’t work!), channels is my biggest gripe.  He rarely runs them.  But I can forgive him that if he gives the kind of contribution in the rest of his play.

17 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I never saw Atyeo live but have seen all our best forwards in the top two tiers since then, Galley, Garland, Goater, Super Bob, Cole not Gas, et al. 

This post is not to suggest Diedhiou is the best but to provoke positive comments on how far the guy has come since our coaches got hold of him, in all aspects of his play:

1) build up play; 2yrs ago he wouldn't know the meaning. Now most of our goals have him heavily involved (all v Derby) 

2) first touch, for those watching Tammy at Burton when everything came off the Chelski's knee or shin, it was like a premonition to our Diedhiou. Now it sticks to his boots

3) heading; last season it always went to an opponent and now he scores, finds neat plays to a red shirt and, Wow, QPR? 

4) shooting; had a decent right foot eg at Hawthorns last season but now looks up when ready to let loose, without being greedy 

5) Finding the net; stats speak for themselves despite us often only playing one up top this season

6) workrate; compared to that tireless colleague Bobby R, Diedhiou looked lazy when he arrived but now his effort s are immense, long runs after 89mins most games

7) allrounder; have we ever had a forward who also did as much good work in our own defense? 

? running the channels; to start we thought he'd taken offside lessons from Kodjia but now his vision, channel-running and timing are better than Tammy's.

9) fans favourite; he got his name sung just because S.82 had an unusually good song for him (Senegal and Knaaawle). Now everyone in the ground, and not just the fans who travel away, see his impact, commitment and skills. 

10) objective views;all of us like some players more than others as is the norm at all clubs. I like Rowe and NE this season but have been won over on Diedhiou so although Lj will get all the credit, and the Club the transfer money when he leaves, I would like to credit the guy with massive improvement and significantly under-rated skills. Even Rob (Ole) who has been harsh on him all season gave him the ultimate 10 after QPR so I'm glad it's not a minority that love the bloke. 

Vision and timing better than Tammy?!

Certainly helps him not playing alongside Weimann. Much better on his own.

Or it seems better with Wells. Very good link up. Not sure it's absolutely perfect for Wells. But the link up was generally very good last night.

Fam's movement was decent last night too imo.

Main thing though is his fitness. That has contributed to most of his improvements like his touch etc.

A fitter Fam has better balance and a better touch.

19 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He's always been good - scored 2 on his debut and has had a consistent scoring record here. Looked even better than usual in last few months after his penalty against Brazil.

When he went through 1on1 late on last night I said to the guy next to me, that I don’t think he’s scored a brace since his debut.

I was wrong, got doubles v Hull and Sunderland also in 17/18.

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Main thing though is his fitness. That has contributed to most of his improvements like his touch etc.

I've been saying similar since QPR, hadn't noticed it before but he looks leaner, and he's definitely used his stamina.

I'd say £25m is a bit of a stretch, but anyone watching the last few games would probably think £10-15m wouldn't be so off now.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I've been saying similar since QPR, hadn't noticed it before but he looks leaner, and he's definitely used his stamina.

I'd say £25m is a bit of a stretch, but anyone watching the last few games would probably think £10-15m wouldn't be so off now.

would say he's lost two stone or converted some of it.

Agree, the pricing tag is a total guess:the market is weird and all Prem clubs think £12m for a totally unproven LB (Kelly may be our 3rd choice now) and £8m for our ex captain who may never make their first team are ALL bargains. Then Kodjia was £12m and Tammy reportedly worth £65m so as for our current star, Diedhou, I honestly don't know, hence the thread. 

Anyway, important he keeps his form and scoring record. Apart from anything else it keeps a dozen or so whingers off the forum. 

Loved his personality previously, he was always the one I wanted to do well but he'd always lose the ball - squad player, didn't really fit either target man or poacher category...

This season. My word.... yes he's not as prolific  as he should be, and that miss against derby sums him up but......

His all round game this season has been incredible. We will never really know how many goals he has saved us from corners in our own box, winning headers. 

He is finally that outlet when under the cosh, the ball is cleared to him and now he has this knack of knocking the ball into space, holding off a defender or winning a free kick. 

I absolutely love it when we are facing a counter attack and Fam is head down, sprinting to get back to help. He just seems absolutely everywhere at the moment. He wins so many tackles in midfield, his passing is getting better and his work rate is immense.

I love it when he scorrs, as at the moment, i know he genuinely deserves it. 

I know him and Lee had a bit of a moment at the start of this season, but whether its the coaching, Benik coming in and giving him a kick up the backside, his international opportunities or playing Elliason more - I don't know - but playing like this, right now he is my player of the season and think we will struggle to keep him over the summer.

Think him and Wells could be a devestating partnership and one that could highlight Fam again - like when he played with Bobby - and that will push him to the next level.

Keep it up Fam. 

Always liked Fammy, thought under the right circumstances he’s a 20 goal a season striker. He’s had some stick on here though hasn’t he! He’s certainly been the scapegoat for some bad team performances over the past 12 months or so. 

Nice to hear some praise for a change though and hopefully him and Wells will fire us to the playoffs. That would make my season!

Regarding his willingness to run the channels - it was great to see a midfielder - Henriksen, put the ball over the opposition defensive line with the correct weight so that Fam could reach it and look to create a chance.

How long has it been since we’ve had a player who can give Fam a ball like that .....

Fingers crossed - that this continues.

Also the number of headers Fam won last night with Wells picking up the flick on was great to see - I don’t think Fam has had that link up since Bobby left!

@Hampshire Red has extended on something I posted in another thread a couple of weeks back. He optimises the club principle of spotting potential and developing it.
Not just improving what he had, but adding aspects to his game that were not there before, dare I say the “English” aspects?

I think it has taken him a while to buy into those changes, but as soon as he started to see how it has benefitted him, he seems to have really grown in confidence. 

Like the guy a lot, and echo loads of the positives above.

I wish they would spend more time on the training pitch on two frustrating aspects - firstly his first touch control. Even a ball pinged to him on the ground bounces 5 yards off him most times.

Secondly, to be moving or at least on his toes when on the shoulder of the last defender. He is so often caught flat footed and loses the first yard.

Both surely easy to rectify.

11 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Vision and timing better than Tammy?!

Maybe not as good as Tammy but Fams work rate and noticed of late great defending when we were under pressure shows he is improving all round. He is a great asset to the club and can only get better.

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

Like the guy a lot, and echo loads of the positives above.

I wish they would spend more time on the training pitch on two frustrating aspects - firstly his first touch control. Even a ball pinged to him on the ground bounces 5 yards off him most times.

Secondly, to be moving or at least on his toes when on the shoulder of the last defender. He is so often caught flat footed and loses the first yard.

Both surely easy to rectify.

You don't think they do work on these things? I would say that, while sometimes a particularly difficult pass is hit at him he struggles, there is a definite improvement in his first touch. As for the second part, as someone else pointed out, he seemed to be more in tune with Henrikson when making runs. It takes two make a pass. 

Can only echo the positives above; I've been hugely impressed with him recently and as others have said, you can't help but feel authentically delighted for the guy when he does well. Impeccable attitude and fantastic to see his hard work paying off.

Interestingly, in amongst all the * insert expletive here * Sky commentary the other night, they made special mention to Fammy's first touch, saying how flawless it had been all game - even comparing him to Kanu!

It was pretty clear from the rest of the commentary that they'd not really watched us play before, so I'd say that's a real testament to the level he's currently performing at compared to the ups and downs of the past few years. 

Keep it up Famara!! 

I love Fammy but, earlier in the season, I felt he just didn't fit into our system and was probably in favour of dropping him. I'm not sure whether we've adapted to suit him better but certainly he has developed his game exponentially.

I'd echo all the positives in the OP and add that, pretty much every game he seems to produce at least one moment of absolute ridiculous quality. He's actually added a bit of showmanship to his game - which might not necessarily help us win games but certainly is the sort of thing that got many of us into football when we were kids. I absolutely love watching Fammy and am delighted at how much he has developed this season.

He's worth more than another centerback when defending set pieces. Times his jumps and headers perfectly and has probably saved us conceding a number of times over the season.

If it starts to click with Wells and Afobe (?) we've got something special in the making. Really love the guy for his effort and improvement.

13 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Yes his game has improved but he will never make a higher level unless he improves his finishing

The miss at the end of the Derby County game is just another in the hold your head in your hands moments

Sadly a very long way off being worth £25 million

15 minutes ago, Xiled said:

He's worth more than another centerback when defending set pieces. Times his jumps and headers perfectly and has probably saved us conceding a number of times over the season.

If it starts to click with Wells and Afobe (?) we've got something special in the making. Really love the guy for his effort and improvement.

Not really he can head a ball, if that was all defending was about we would have some of the Flyers boys out there with their height

He will be sold in the summer unless he signs a new contract beforehand, his upturn in form could be related to either potential outcome dependant on what his intentions are.

If he does go I think we would be looking for in the region of £10m for his services which if reinvested correctly could buy us a couple of new strikers to push on with.

Archived