IGNORED

Team for Leeds

Dolman_Stand

Back to 352 for me for this one to try and stiffle them, don't normally like picking a team based on stopping the opposition but Leeds are very good and their performance at Brentford shows they are likely to give someone a hammering soon

Wells    Diedhiou

Paterson

Dasilva          Smith        Henrikson     Pereira

Baker       Kalas     Benkovic

Bentley

Wollacott

Hunt

Williams - Starts if Kalas isn't fit, would mean Palmer / O'Dowda taking this spot on the bench as don't believe we have another CB available (Vyner???)

Rowe

Nagy - Starts if Smith isn't fit and Massengo takes his place on the bench

Eliasson

Weimann

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Back to 352 for me for this one to try and stiffle them, don't normally like picking a team based on stopping the opposition but Leeds are very good and their performance at Brentford shows they are likely to give someone a hammering soon

Wells    Diedhiou

Paterson

Bentley

Wollacott

Hunt

Williams - Starts if Kalas isn't fit, would mean Palmer / O'Dowda taking this spot on the bench as don't believe we have another CB available (Vyner???)

Rowe

Eliasson

Weimann

Not sure how i feel about Bentley up top on his ones to be honest.

I like the idea of playing two strikers in goal but with only Paterson in defence i think we might stuggle.

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Wells    Diedhiou

Paterson

Bentley

Wollacott

Hunt

Rowe

Eliasson

Weimann

I’m not a fan of 532 but think it might be necessary. Agree with selection, maybe Williams in the team if Kalas still not fit. If Smith not fit then Nagy.

Worry about 532 due to outlets....real danger Dasilva and hunt are just pegged back which means when we do get the ball no wide option.....just invited pressure.

Also Leeds will overload wide areas so protection will be needed. I would go 451 and do them on the break.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

4-4-2 would be stupid I reckon. Teams who get results against Leeds at Elland Road play three midfielders.  To ignore that would be naive 

Leeds will no doubt have a large amount of possession we need to sit and be patient behind the ball

Hit them on the break or make the most of dead ball situations 

Your absolute best bet (no arrogance attached here) 451 hit on the break.

442 and we’ll just drop Phillips back slightly and you’ll be overrun in midfield.

352 and your wide players won’t get out of their own half.

Weather will play a part and our keeper is ****.

Not been as concerned about this fixture in the past as I am now.

12 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

Your absolute best bet (no arrogance attached here) 451 hit on the break.

442 and we’ll just drop Phillips back slightly and you’ll be overrun in midfield.

352 and your wide players won’t get out of their own half.

Weather will play a part and our keeper is ****.

Not been as concerned about this fixture in the past as I am now.

This might be met with aubergines but Man United should be signing Phillips and he should be in England squad. Better than Rice and Dier.  Seen a lot of him now and he’s incredibly impressive.  

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

This might be met with aubergines but Man United should be signing Phillips and he should be in England squad. Better than Rice and Dier.  Seen a lot of him now and he’s incredibly impressive.  

Wouldn't go there from Leeds but agree he should be in the reckoning for the next England squad....very impressive player. Spurs would be a good fit for him

Be interesting to see how he goes in the Prem next year.

If we don’t go up we are obviously resigned to losing him.

Southgate has come to watch him twice, after his ban he came back against Brentford and ran the show, outrageously impressive talent that 2 years ago we as fans were writing off.

Bielsa has given him a job and I personally cannot think of a better midfield man marker in the English game. I look at Henderson / Rice and think Phillips should surely be at least in the squad.

I would suspect he will get in the squad next year as he’ll be a Prem player, hopefully with us if not with a top 6 club.

Wonderful player who Bielsa has transformed.

Yes the coaching team get £6m a year but if we were to sell Phillips that pays it back.

32 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Certainly better than Rice.

Was an hour debating Rice for England on TalkSport the other week.  Lots of excuses, that’s he’s young, he’s playing in a struggling West Ham side.

Surely the question re his worth in an England shirt is how he’s played for England (in the main)....and to my mind, he’s looked like he’s not ready.  He hides behind players so he’s not available to take balls off the CBs.  DM for England is a crucial - I think there are better options.

Whether that is Phillips I don’t know....but long time admirer of his I am.

7 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I'd be tempted to go back to 4141.

Bring on Wells last 30 minutes if we're not winning.

The other half of me thinks go at Leeds and start him as they're not in the best of form.

I want to see Wells and Famara start. Both are bang in form and offer completely different attacking options. Give them something to think about. 

Henriksen used to play CAM, so perhaps he could even play in the more advanced role and drop back to fill midfield when not in possession? Ideally would have Pato or Palmer in the hole behind but we need them to do a lot of defensive work too, and can’t see either as being capable of that as well as being creative. 

3 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Wells    Diedhiou

Paterson

Bentley

Wollacott

Hunt

Rowe

Eliasson

Weimann

3-5-2 is absolutely NOT the way to play at Leeds. 

They play Bamford on his own. We don’t need 3 marking 1. 
Their strength is down the flanks, creating overlaps and utilising the pace of Harrison & Costa. You can’t let wing backs deal with these overloads. 
If we play 3-5-2, expect Dasilva & Hunt to be pegged back, expect the CB’s either side to be pulled out wide to support the wing back on the overloads, leaving their 2 midfield ‘penetrators’ (Hernandez & Klich) the freedom of the box when crosses arrive - which they do at will. I’ve also noted Leeds often cut back their crosses, rather than whip across the box - thus very important for the CM’s to track Hern/Klich and be aware of their positions just inside the area. 

I don’t want us to switch from 4-4-2. We’ll need the two wingers to provide defensive support for the full backs and prevent the CB’s being pulled out, ensuring they defend the box and those crosses. 
Wells & Diedhiou have to play every game together. But for this one they’ll have to work immensely hard. They’ll need to pressure the full backs when on the ball and try to prevent them advancing, and they’ll need one of them to just sit a little bit deeper to get on Phillips’ toes. 

3-5-2 would be a disaster in my opinion. 

Had a quick look at the formations every team that's got a result at Elland Rd have used this season. 

4-2-3-1

Swansea (1-0 win) 
Derby (1-1 draw)
Preston (1-1 draw)

4-1-4-1

Forest (1-1 draw)
Sheff Wed (2-0 win)

4-4-1-1 (Who scored had them down as 4-4-2 with Tomlin up front, but I'd guess he played behind the striker here)

Cardiff (3-3 draw)

5-3-2

Wigan (1-0 win)

Going by the above, 4-2-3-1 seems the most successful, I'm not too sure if we have the players to play in that system though. 

Archived