Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Dolman_Stand

Team for Leeds

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well, as ever Dave, we’ll have to agree to disagree. 
I personally feel that playing 3-5-2 will see us suffer against Leeds’ strength area - pace, width, overloads. You need a player responsible for the winger and another responsible for the full back. The worst way to do that is to play 3 at the back. 

We used to always agree! One of us has changed!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Marley Watkins in one of the wide positions. Much more defensively sound than NE and JP

Good shout that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Marley Watkins in one of the wide positions. Much more defensively sound than NE and JP

He’s 2/3 weeks away as I understand it.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Thanks 1

The one way to beat Leeds imo, is to look for freekicks. We could do them at set pieces.

We've really got some strength at set pieces now. Williams, Kalas, Benkovic, Henriksen, Weimann, Baker, Wells, Famara, Watkins...all strong in the box and good at attacking a ball.

We aren't going to outplay them, or have more possession. I see corners and freekicks as our biggest threat.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

The one way to beat Leeds imo, is to look for freekicks. We could do them at set pieces.

We've really got some strength at set pieces now. Williams, Kalas, Benkovic, Henriksen, Weimann, Baker, Wells, Famara, Watkins...all strong in the box and good at attacking a ball.

We aren't going to outplay them, or have more possession. I see corners and freekicks as our biggest threat.

Totally agree. Given Eliasson's delivery can we fit him in while remaining defensively solid!? I'm torn.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

No Wells then?  

Yeah, as much as I appreciate that this is a one up front game and that Diedhiou is defensively invaluable, I just don't want to drop Wells. He needs to be playing and scoring. 

8 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Back to 352 for me for this one to try and stiffle them, don't normally like picking a team based on stopping the opposition but Leeds are very good and their performance at Brentford shows they are likely to give someone a hammering soon

Wells    Diedhiou

Paterson

Dasilva          Smith        Henrikson     Pereira

Baker       Kalas     Benkovic

Bentley

Wollacott

Hunt

Williams - Starts if Kalas isn't fit, would mean Palmer / O'Dowda taking this spot on the bench as don't believe we have another CB available (Vyner???)

Rowe

Nagy - Starts if Smith isn't fit and Massengo takes his place on the bench

Eliasson

Weimann

UPDATE

I've decided to make a late change to the starting line up and Eliasson will take Pato's place tomorrow, although he isn't at his best centrally we would need to find a way to get him into wide area's when we have the ball, also with the amount of height in the team above his delivery from set pieces could be crucial. Defensively he would need to works his socks off and close down Phillips at every oppurtunity to try and limit him from dictating the play as much as possible.

It's been a tough decision and Pato hasn't taken it well, off for a glass of red following by a glass of white! Who'd be a manager....

17 hours ago, Harry said:

I’ve watched extended highlights. 
I saw chance after chance after chance being spurned by a wasteful Leeds. I also saw them strike the post and have 2 cleared off the line. And I saw a very very fortunate Wigan goal direct from a corner, courtesy of a horrendous goalkeeper blunder. 
Their 3-5-2 set up just meant pressure, pressure, pressure. And they were incredibly fortunate to get a result. I’m sure any Wigan fan will agree. 

Edit. And if you look at those many chances, the majority come from the wide areas. 

It's funny though how often teams that defend in numbers often have the other team missing chance after chance.

Less space and less time to shoot meaning they often miss their chances.

It might be that 5221 would be the best formation but then there's no space for Wells. 

A bit like Millwall system that beat us. 

I don't mind if Wells doesn't start if he does not suit our game plan for this particular game.

Fammy & Wells both need to start, but we cannot play with 2 wide midfielders in both Pato and Elliasson as Leeds would run riot in midfield if we only have 2 CMs. 

So for me 4-3-3, bring in Rowe to CM for either Pato or Eliasson, personally I'd drop Pato (despite his good form since coming back from loan) and give Elliasson the freedom to roam right or left.

22 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Back to 352 for me for this one to try and stiffle them, don't normally like picking a team based on stopping the opposition but Leeds are very good and their performance at Brentford shows they are likely to give someone a hammering soon

Wells    Diedhiou

Paterson

Dasilva          Smith        Henrikson     Pereira

Baker       Kalas     Benkovic

Bentley

Wollacott

Hunt

Williams - Starts if Kalas isn't fit, would mean Palmer / O'Dowda taking this spot on the bench as don't believe we have another CB available (Vyner???)

Rowe

Nagy - Starts if Smith isn't fit and Massengo takes his place on the bench

Eliasson

Weimann

I like this the only thing i might be tempted to risk is playing Eliassion instead of Peirera ... Eliasson has got a lot better at tracking back! 

Cant really play two up top and not play our best crosser  of the ball or at the least play hunt who plays better at wingback as he can cross it more!