IGNORED

Man City banned from Europe for two years FFP

And Its Smith

On 19/02/2020 at 10:58, Cowshed said:

Yes if you are a fan of beautiful football. Man City have affected positively football. Fans and coaches have been affected positively.

Morality at the top? There is a naivety about it. It is based upon greed and its a club Bristol City want in.  

Bristol City have a team with no local players in it. That team is funded by Mr Lansdown who legally avoids paying taxes basing himself in Guernsey. Its  a push to say BCFC play beautiful football.

On a community level Man City really are on another level to BCFC. On a educational level Bristol football clubs can go to the Etihad and learn from them and access their services. Fans, parents with their kids can do similar .. I was in awe (jealous) of what they do on my visit to their training facility. 

Hi mate, just seen your reply for the first time...

So your argument is that the ends justify the means. That's normally a problematic stance.

On 27/02/2020 at 23:43, BS4 on Tour... said:

What do you define as ‘recent’ though - Man City first won the premier league 8 years ago ...

Good point, and I don't know where we draw a line, but there's undoubted culpability, and undoubted shame.

9 hours ago, mozo said:

Hi mate, just seen your reply for the first time...

So your argument is that the ends justify the means. That's normally a problematic stance.

You asked should Man City fans be proud of their success. Yes is you are a fan of beautiful football. Its not necessarily a question about morality. 

We could ask should fans be proud of football? That's a problematic answer. Its an unprincipled industry.

Piece in the FT about it here.

https://www.ft.com/content/d4504e75-128b-4428-b5ae-7d7620a0188e

Reading this now, a very interesting quote- though it could be a source from a UEFA perspective.

Meanwhile, a person with knowledge of the governing body’s investigations, commented that “provided Uefa don’t cave in, they should win at CAS . . . City have no evidence at all”.

Plus some insight from Marcotti about what is at stake for both UEFA, Man City- and of course potentially, FFP itself.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-marcottis-musings/story/4106533/man-citys-appeal-of-uefa-ban-whats-at-stake-for-city-and-financial-fair-play

Tomorrow, well today in fact!

Appeal verdict due to be released by CAS at 9.30am UK time! Decent article by David Conn, good financial football journo!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/12/manchester-city-to-hear-on-monday-if-european-ban-appeal-has-succeeded

Whatever the outcome, I hope the verdict and legal reasonings/case arguments will be published in full. It seems sketchy in that respect, with our own EFL and their Hearings- certainly only seem to publish some, dunno how the CAS operates in that respect.

May or may not be over...though suspect we all know it is.

Seems the PL are investigating. Bit more detail below. ⬇️

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/sports/soccer/manchester-city-premier-league.html

Now I don't know if this is for the stuff to 2014, ie the case UEFA reopened post Football Leaks and so on, Settlement Agreement etc or for stuff since then.

Some very interesting snippets which I don't recall in the Daily Mail article unless I skimread it and missed.

City has spent millions of dollars defending itself since the allegations first emerged. Its lawyers are fighting against the league’s arbitration process, arguing that the club will not get a fair hearing, according to documents. The Premier League did not reply to a request for comment.

City is challenging the Premier League in Britain’s civil courts, where hearings have been held behind closed doors, and where publication of material related to the case has been kept confidential despite intense public interest in the case. It is not known what action the Premier League would take if it found City to have breached its rules. Penalties in its rule book include points deductions and fines.

Would be ironic if the PL charges found them to be guilty- would UEFA then be duty bound to reopen this case?

Civil courts, arbitration. Sounds about right unless Civil Courts are a notch up from Arbitration.

6 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Quite funny that they will probably win it in the year they should have been banned. One up EUEFA 's proverbial.

Nothing to be all that glad about tbh.

The Petrostate Derby last night. The standard is excellent but aspects of modern football, hmm...ugh.

Might also add, that UEFA case or set of cases, the written Reasons on CAS site. Some charges were time barred, some not proven which is no surprise as Man City came into conflict in Summer 2014 and had restrictions on squad size, a fine and some limits on spend between/from 2014/15 and 2016/17. 3 seasons.

UEFA appeared to have settled with both Petroclubs in Summer 2014, settled and restricted- I really feel nothing for any of the 4 in the CL semis, soulless the lot of them.

The arms length rule can be made a mockery in States like that, Qatar for sure, a dictatorship. Emir says "Jump", dare say any business guy might say "How high".

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Nothing to be all that glad about tbh.

The Petrostate Derby last night. The standard is excellent but aspects of modern football, hmm...ugh.

Might also add, that UEFA case or set of cases, the written Reasons on CAS site. Some charges were time barred, some not proven which is no surprise as Man City came into conflict in Summer 2014 and had restrictions on squad size, a fine and some limits on spend between/from 2014/15 and 2016/17. 3 seasons.

UEFA appeared to have settled with both Petroclubs in Summer 2014, settled and restricted- I really feel nothing for any of the 4 in the CL semis, soulless the lot of them.

The arms length rule can be made a mockery in States like that, Qatar for sure, a dictatorship. Emir says "Jump", dare say any business guy might say "How high".

Probably should have used ironic instead of funny. UEFA Just as bad (greedy) as the petro state clubs in my view. 

14 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Probably should have used ironic instead of funny. UEFA Just as bad (greedy) as the petro state clubs in my view. 

Many ways I agree, though always had UEFA down as not as bad as FIFA. This new guy seems keen to redistribute a bit, mind you so did Platini when he first came in and we saw how that turned out.

Archived