Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Badger08

Game to be called off?

Looking at the weather tomorrow, with 45mph winds and heavy rain, do you think it would be better if the game was to be rearranged? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

Not had a game postponed in 25 years at Elland Road.

Random point...been to only two abandoned games in my life, one v Liverpool when the lights went off, and once v Leeds for fog. The latter was a few years ago mind.

6 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Random point...been to only two abandoned games in my life, one v Liverpool when the lights went off, and once v Leeds for fog. The latter was a few years ago mind.

Was at both of those.

Oddly, that Torquay game away was just as bad. Some player scored a hat trick for us that day allegedly. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

It’s not even windy here at the moment, last Sunday the weather was WILD, it’s died down a lot and there is NO chance of the game being called off!

Last Saturday was also pretty nice. 

It's going to be blowy and wet, certainly, but the real problem may be pre-emptive cancellations by rail companies. East Coast and Northern already slashing services. 

Saturday 15 February

The following northbound services have been cancelled:

07:31 London King’s Cross – Harrogate

09:31 London King’s Cross - Leeds

10:31 London King’s Cross - Leeds

11:31 London King’s Cross – Harrogate

12:31 London King’s Cross - Leeds

13:31 London King’s Cross – Harrogate

14:31 London King’s Cross - Leeds

15:31 London King’s Cross – Harrogate

16:31 London King’s Cross – Leeds

17:31 London King’s Cross – Leeds

18:31 London King’s Cross – Leeds

19:31 London King’s Cross – Bradford Forster Square

20:25 London King’s Cross – Leeds

The following southbound services have been cancelled:

08:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

09:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

10:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

11:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

12:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

13:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

14:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

15:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

16:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

17:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

18:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

19:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

29 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

It’s not even windy here at the moment, last Sunday the weather was WILD, it’s died down a lot and there is NO chance of the game being called off!

Do you have good pies?

I have heard it said that Yorkshire is the Home of Pie 🥧😋

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Was at both those too. Leeds game was surreal with the orange ball. Smog was more common back then. 

41 minutes ago, hodge said:

Remember Watford at home several years ago not being called till I was in the ground

Boxing Day? Pretty obvious it was gonna be called off for hours before the game ...well done to you for going into the stadium when everyone else stayed in the pubs knowing it wasn’t gonna happen ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Haha 1

I'm hoping the game will go ahead.  Actually I'm 99.9% sure the game will go ahead. We are in better form than they are.  Only issue is that inn the bleak and dismal north, they are more used to bad weather than us.

That said, poor conditions may suit us more than them.   I would suggest that we may need experience, grit and determination to get a result.  This is not a game for the kids for the faint hearted. I also have a feeling that this might be a game for our 3 January signings.

Edited by wendyredredrobin

57 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Boxing Day? Pretty obvious it was gonna be called off for hours before the game ...well done to you for going into the stadium when everyone else stayed in the pubs knowing it wasn’t gonna happen ...

Not sure it was obvious I seem to remember it was a relatively short torrential downpour that was about 30 mins max.

45 mph winds? That's merely a breeze over here on the North Coast! We play golf in this most days!

Why do you think Darren Clarke won his only open title in a gale at Sandwich in the last decade? He learnt how to keep the ball low!  Hit the ball low and hard and only do a high cross if the wind is behind you. LJ talks about the number of clubs in his bag so my advice is just use a 3 wood and a putter tomorrow oh and a 7 iron for any other shots!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

That fa cup game at leicester when jacki played, was given as off on radio bristol, then they said it was back on.

I recall a game against grimsby about 2004 that was called off late, cause i was working in leeds, and was at sheffield station and had to turn back.

A night match at Luton away in the FA cup for a replay  a few years ago got called off at around half 6, just as we were passing below the M1 going into the town centre.

8 hours ago, cityexile said:

The Liverpool game was behind the inspiration for Nirvana’s ‘ Smells like teen spirit ‘ .

8 hours ago, cityexile said:

Was at both of those plus a home game v Notts County that was called off at HT due to torrential rain. We were one down at the time to a Paul Heffernan goal - remember him?

• Like 5

Never really got a run in the team did he.

I recall he scored a silly amount for notts county before we signed him.

I remember being at griffin park for a fa cup replay and he scored, then we lost on pens.

Remember Chesterfield away in early 00s being called off and we were already past Derby on the train.

The fixture gods smiled on us though and we tried desperately to get to the enthralling game between Stoke and Millwall 😂

Edited by 054123

14 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Never really got a run in the team did he.

I recall he scored a silly amount for notts county before we signed him.

I remember being at griffin park for a fa cup replay and he scored, then we lost on pens.

Good little player but, as you say, we never saw the best of him. I`ve got an idea we shipped him out to somewhere in Scotland? Dunfermline or St Mirren, someone like that.

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Good little player but, as you say, we never saw the best of him. I`ve got an idea we shipped him out to somewhere in Scotland? Dunfermline or St Mirren, someone like that.

He went to Doncaster.

It was several years after that that he moved on to several Scottish clubs.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RedRock said:

Was at both of those.

Oddly, that Torquay game away was just as bad. Some player scored a hat trick for us that day allegedly. 

Leroy Lita.

"Can you tell us when we score?" was the best chant of the day.

We have 2 officers travelling now, I have requested the Leeds football officer gives us an early update and I will then notify on here and with the Slo. No bad news at the moment 👍

• Like 8
  • Robin 2

7 minutes ago, JulieH said:

We have 2 officers travelling now, I have requested the Leeds football officer gives us an early update and I will then notify on here and with the Slo. No bad news at the moment 👍

Thanks Julie

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cityexile said:

9 hours ago, RedRock said:

Was at both of those.

Likewise at both. Leeds was my first City game.

12 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Day off for you today? No chance the game up the mem will be on is there?

52 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The ball will end up somewhere near Wetherby I should think.

Our keeper is so **** he’ll move the goal outside the stadium so you can score.

He’s nice like that....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, SR1 said:

Last Saturday was also pretty nice. 

It's going to be blowy and wet, certainly, but the real problem may be pre-emptive cancellations by rail companies. East Coast and Northern already slashing services. 

Saturday 15 February

The following northbound services have been cancelled:

07:31 London King’s Cross – Harrogate

09:31 London King’s Cross - Leeds

10:31 London King’s Cross - Leeds

11:31 London King’s Cross – Harrogate

12:31 London King’s Cross - Leeds

13:31 London King’s Cross – Harrogate

14:31 London King’s Cross - Leeds

15:31 London King’s Cross – Harrogate

16:31 London King’s Cross – Leeds

17:31 London King’s Cross – Leeds

18:31 London King’s Cross – Leeds

19:31 London King’s Cross – Bradford Forster Square

20:25 London King’s Cross – Leeds

The following southbound services have been cancelled:

08:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

09:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

10:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

11:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

12:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

13:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

14:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

15:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

16:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

17:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

18:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

19:45 Leeds – London King’s Cross

@allyolly not sure if this affects you? 

For comparison there ARE still many services running

Screenshot_20200215-085918_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200215-085934_Samsung Internet.jpg

46 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Live in Manchester and it’s chucking it down now. Reckon be about 2 hours till it hit Leeds 

Pouring in Halifax 

1 hour ago, JulieH said:

I have leave, off to New York tomorrow, hopefully 🤔

5 days away for me 👍

Not jealous one bit. Enjoy New York, it’s bloody amazing! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

45 mph winds? That's merely a breeze over here on the North Coast! We play golf in this most days!

Why do you think Darren Clarke won his only open title in a gale at Sandwich in the last decade? He learnt how to keep the ball low!  Hit the ball low and hard and only do a high cross if the wind is behind you. LJ talks about the number of clubs in his bag so my advice is just use a 3 wood and a putter tomorrow oh and a 7 iron for any other shots!

Tell them Darren sent ya 🤣

6 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

That fa cup game at leicester when jacki played, was given as off on radio bristol, then they said it was back on.

I recall a game against grimsby about 2004 that was called off late, cause i was working in leeds, and was at sheffield station and had to turn back.

I went to that. You should’ve seen the steam coming off our jeans in the minibus on the way home. 

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

Remember Chesterfield away in early 00s being called off and we were already past Derby on the train.

The fixture gods smiled on us though and we tried desperately to get to the enthralling game between Stoke and Millwall 😂

Did something similar in icy conditions on way to Stockport one year, got called off just as leaving M6 for M56, so quick map read (no sat nav..!) and detour to watch Spirites vs Swansea at Saltergate, in home end obvs!

• Haha 1