IGNORED

Bristol Sport Museum

CyderInACan

If I recall correctly, the Museum was supposed to be part of Phase I and supposed to be in what is now the SCAT Bar on the mezzanine level of the Sports Bar. Now it’s part of the Car Park and Megastore build on Winterstoke/Wedlock Way it seems. 

I just wonder exactly what kind of celebration of our teams it will actually be? City boast a few years in English Football’s top tier, a hat-trick of Freight Rover Trophies under whatever name you please and maybe some Anglo-Scottish silverware but not much else? The Flyers? Not been around too long I guess? City Women? Ditto. Bristol were good in the amateur years and won the John Player Cup but until now have been fairly abject in the pro era. 

It seems like a nice idea but would it really bring anything to the party? 

D9C9A245-FC41-4D66-A981-ED50E5C27B3E.jpeg

They are going to curate the following.

The paint brushes we were allowed to keep after 4 JPT wins.

The mini bus we won in the Layland DAF.

Some of those red and gold velour chairs what used to be in the Dolman.

Food Vouchers (naturally)

Some oven chips from when Lidney Catering had the catering concession 

And finally, a Buster Footman t-shirt, guaranteed to keep you warm in conditions approaching minus 23.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

They are going to curate the following.

The paint brushes we were allowed to keep after 4 JPT wins.

The mini bus we won in the Layland DAF.

Some of those red and gold velour chairs what used to be in the Dolman.

Food Vouchers (naturally)

Some oven chips from when Lidney Catering had the catering concession 

And finally, a Buster Footman t-shirt, guaranteed to keep you warm in conditions approaching minus 23.

Lansdown taking the Barcelona Sport model too far??92E938D1-FAE9-49EB-9F58-6ED551A472A1.thumb.jpeg.866ca4f92a1dfcef90ace469df4ba559.jpeg

9E75BB5D-FE54-4EAF-9512-131FAC2968F7.jpeg

We may only have been promoted to the top division twice for a total of nine seasons but we did manage to finish runners up on our first visit. F.A.Cup runners up and Anglo Scots winners along with our 3 auto windscreen / Leyland Daf wotsits cups.  I think we had  an original shirt and program from our F.A.cup Final. I would have thought there was more than enough memorabilia for supporters of our club. 

36 minutes ago, fatchers said:

We may only have been promoted to the top division twice for a total of nine seasons but we did manage to finish runners up on our first visit. F.A.Cup runners up and Anglo Scots winners along with our 3 auto windscreen / Leyland Daf wotsits cups.  I think we had  an original shirt and program from our F.A.cup Final. I would have thought there was more than enough memorabilia for supporters of our club. 

Hopefully the Johnson family formation-and-selection-tombola will be on display.  

Unless, of course, the next generation of Johnson is in control of it by the time the museum opens its doors.  

15 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Hopefully the Johnson family formation-and-selection-tombola will be on display.  

Unless, of course, the next generation of Johnson is in control of it by the time the museum opens its doors.  

Our first female coach/manager(ess) then.

It’s a museum not a trophy room so they could have sections dedicated to -

The stadium over the years with pictures from day one to the current version.

Our FA cup final.

Every promotion we’ve had.

Our three Fl trophy wins.

Previous kits.

And other random memorabilia that they have.

2 hours ago, Ohbasso said:

Our FA cup final.

Previous kits.

I meant to put an area dedicated to the Ashton Gate 8 too.

2 hours ago, Ohbasso said:

I meant to put an area dedicated to the Ashton Gate 8 too.

Im a little too young to have been around at that time, but we are well known as having been relegated from the 1st to the 4th division in consecutive seasons. Just how big a role did those 8 play in one of the worst collapses in english football history?

6 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Im a little too young to have been around at that time, but we are well known as having been relegated from the 1st to the 4th division in consecutive seasons. Just how big a role did those 8 play in one of the worst collapses in english football history?

Happened just before I was born too but I think it’s a big part of our history that shouldn’t be forgotten by fans and owners alike.

I've been to Benfica and Athletic Bilbao musuems in recent times and both I would highly recommend for the club to visit both for research. Obviously both clubs are higher in stature than City but there's still much history City and now Bristol Sport can explore, as mentioned by others above. Both musuems were excellent in their own way. I was with my partner who doesn't like football but she really enjoyed both, and learning about the history of the club, stadium and the cities themselves.

Both were very interactive and great for kids. Virtual penalty shootouts were at both, record your own commentary was fun. Benfica had a special lift, cinema room that was impressive that I would love City to copy!

4 hours ago, Clevedon_Red said:

I've been to Benfica and Athletic Bilbao musuems in recent times and both I would highly recommend for the club to visit both for research. Obviously both clubs are higher in stature than City but there's still much history City and now Bristol Sport can explore, as mentioned by others above. Both musuems were excellent in their own way. I was with my partner who doesn't like football but she really enjoyed both, and learning about the history of the club, stadium and the cities themselves.

Both were very interactive and great for kids. Virtual penalty shootouts were at both, record your own commentary was fun. Benfica had a special lift, cinema room that was impressive that I would love City to copy!

Me and me old mucker Luis Enrique in 2001, just before I hung my boots up.

08F9B827-732D-4D88-98E4-A86DE672E1A7.thumb.jpeg.97377e005877b6531c244d3e453e327d.jpeg

On 15/02/2020 at 05:13, CyderInACan said:

If I recall correctly, the Museum was supposed to be part of Phase I and supposed to be in what is now the SCAT Bar on the mezzanine level of the Sports Bar. Now it’s part of the Car Park and Megastore build on Winterstoke/Wedlock Way it seems. 

I just wonder exactly what kind of celebration of our teams it will actually be? City boast a few years in English Football’s top tier, a hat-trick of Freight Rover Trophies under whatever name you please and maybe some Anglo-Scottish silverware but not much else? The Flyers? Not been around too long I guess? City Women? Ditto. Bristol were good in the amateur years and won the John Player Cup but until now have been fairly abject in the pro era. 

23 hours ago, BristolCity1992 said:

History doesn't have to equate to success. 

21 hours ago, Ohbasso said:

Our FA cup final.

Previous kits.

To be frank there is not much anyone cant tell me about this football club in most areas. I have lived and breathed it for close to 60 years.

However looking back on our history the Wedlock’s, the Atyeo’s, the Gows etc etc and the club in general over a 125 year history is really something that I would enjoy.

I was in Readings Trophy room recently, they have a Simod Cup (remember that) and a few random promotion trophies, however this is not that....This is a museum. There is plenty to say about the club from two centuries ago through two world wars, god knows how many depressions to where it is today all as is the vogue interactively so you can bring your kids and grand kids.

The OP seems to imagine a trophy room and the irony of that...ALA Reading but does anyone see Bristol Sport being that un creative, I don’t. We are a club that represents South Bristol everything is up for grabs and personally i think it has the chance of being excellent!

11 hours ago, Clevedon_Red said:

I went to the Athletic Club Museum at the old estadio San Mamés as well as the Camp Nou and estadio Santiago Bérnabeu museums. Absolutely chock full of awe inspiring history. I would genuinely love to see City celebrated in such a way. 

On 15/02/2020 at 11:13, CyderInACan said:

To be fair, 125 years is a long time, and I’m sure there will be loads of interesting memorabilia, artefacts etc from that time, just because we haven't won much shouldn’t impact that IMO

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

We could have some vintage Bristol buses showing how we got to the game

That is already in the plan.

Sadly, to visit that particular exhibit, you have to walk to North Street and wait 45 minutes for it not to turn up.

I hear they might ring fence a parking space in the near carpark leaving it empty to show punters what the local Park n Ride looks like on a match day however.

Archived