IGNORED

Leeds United v Bristol City Match Day 33

Septic Peg

Leeds were always going to dominate possession, they’ve done so against almost every team, and probably every team at home. 

So it was always gonna be a backs to the wall game. I thought, aside from the onslaught in the first 15 mins, we actually competed very well and ‘mostly’ held them at bay. We did well to cut off their usual supply route, which is basically to ping it wide, get an overload, and then cut the ball back for oncoming midfielders. 
That’s Leeds’ most often used tactic and we generally stopped that. 
However, they are a damn fine side and they found a way through. Lucky goal that it was - Klich was never looking to pass that to Ayling - so you could say we were a tad unfortunate on the goal, as we had bodies in the box and had blocked and cut off many attempts. 

We had our big chance. Wells could’ve done better but it was a tough one. 

Whilst you can’t lay any blame to the ref, we had a very very good shout for a penalty. 
Plus Leeds were very cynical and weren’t being punished. Every time we did manage to get a bit of play going, once we got past a man, we were ‘tactically’ fouled. Almost every free kick for us was where we’d beaten a man, got beyond them and looked like breaking away, and they’d bring us down. Only Dallas got a booking for such an act but there were about 10 others such incidents. Ref could’ve easily booked a few more of theirs. 

Overall, whilst it’s disappointing to lose, I actually thought we battled pretty well and put in a shift. I wouldn’t accuse any of them today of not trying, we just lack the quality that Leeds had. 

I’m not too dissatisfied with today. 

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Poor and second best in every department today. If Leeds had a top striker they'd have won 3-0 or more. 

Didn't expect anything from today's game but means we have to get at least a point from the West Brom game. 

Need 4 from WBA & Millwall just to stay in touch....

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Leeds were always going to dominate possession, they’ve done so against almost every team, and probably every team at home. 

So it was always gonna be a backs to the wall game. I thought, aside from the onslaught in the first 15 mins, we actually competed very well and ‘mostly’ held them at bay. We did well to cut off their usual supply route, which is basically to ping it wide, get an overload, and then cut the ball back for oncoming midfielders. 
That’s Leeds’ most often used tactic and we generally stopped that. 
However, they are a damn fine side and they found a way through. Lucky goal that it was - Klich was never looking to pass that to Ayling - so you could say we were a tad unfortunate on the goal, as we had bodies in the box and had blocked and cut off many attempts. 

We had our big chance. Wells could’ve done better but it was a tough one. 

Whilst you can’t lay any blame to the ref, we had a very very good shout for a penalty. 
Plus Leeds were very cynical and weren’t being punished. Every time we did manage to get a bit of play going, once we got past a man, we were ‘tactically’ fouled. Almost every free kick for us was where we’d beaten a man, got beyond them and looked like breaking away, and they’d bring us down. Only Dallas got a booking for such an act but there were about 10 others such incidents. Ref could’ve easily booked a few more of theirs. 

Overall, whilst it’s disappointing to lose, I actually thought we battled pretty well and put in a shift. I wouldn’t accuse any of them today of not trying, we just lack the quality that Leeds had. 

I’m not too dissatisfied with today. 

The quality ,

or the structured plan/ethos  ?

Harry ?

As others have said, the result isn’t the disappointing part of today, losing by the odd goal away from home to Leeds is not catastrophic by any stretch. But the performance lacked so much belief, it’s like we were beaten before we even started, and that’s a worry.  We set up not to get hammered as opposed to giving it a real go.  And that comes from the manager.  

37 minutes ago, Super said:

Not the end of the world and most predicted a defeat but yet again we have failed to turn up there.

Agreed, it’s disappointing, but let’s face it we’re far from the only ones to struggle against them.

The way I look at it is when you take out WBA and Leeds who, recent form aside, have been a real class above the rest, we’re three points off of being the best of the rest of the division. That’s a decent result at this stage of the season.

If we can still be competing in and around 5th/6th for the rest of the season then it’s going to be an interesting finale and with WBA, Fulham, Forest, Cardiff and PNE on the final day it’s a long long way from being determined. 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The quality ,

or the structured plan/ethos  ?

Harry ?

Both. 
Harrison is one of the finest players in this division and a constant threat. 
Phillips is arguably the best player in the league. 
Hernandez one of the most creative players in this league over the last few seasons. 

They have quality all over the park, but they also have a plan. As I mentioned earlier we mostly snuffed out their main game plan. But they had other ways. 

39 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Massengo looking like a massive waste of money 

Bad take @WolfOfWestStreet, remember how old he is. The vigours of an intensely competitive and full on league are getting to him. He comes from playing largely youth football in better weather with a winter break. All of this needs to be considered.

He still has a boy's body really compared to his opponents, we probably won't see what he's really about until he's around 21+.

He wasn't great today and poor against Birmingham but so were many players who are 10+ years older than he is. 

He obviously needs to play in a midfield 3 as he doesn't have the experience, physicality and confidence to command games. Henriksen is still getting up to match fitness.

Blame Johnson for picking him if anyone, perhaps today was a game for Tommy Rowe to add a bit of steel and experience to midfield.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Both. 
Harrison is one of the finest players in this division and a constant threat. 
Phillips is arguably the best player in the league. 
Hernandez one of the most creative players in this league over the last few seasons. 

They have quality all over the park, but they also have a plan. As I mentioned earlier we mostly snuffed out their main game plan. But they had other ways. 

They havnt got the tools or anything like the depth of squad that we have though H

To me , as Sheff Utd last season they epitomise getting the best out of their squad / resources

(Whether a tad more depth would see them cruising the division a different argument)

Good to watch too

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They havnt got the tools or anything like the depth of squad that we have though H

To me , as Sheff Utd last season they epitomise getting the best out of their squad / resources

(Whether a tad more depth would see them cruising the division a different argument)

Good to watch too

Better first 11 I'd say and a hugely experienced and enigmatic manager though. They had to break their bad form sooner or later, unfortunately I suspected it would be against us. We seem to find them really awkward to play against for some reason. Been the case for years!

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good to watch too

Wikipedia has their first team squad at 29 players and ours at 26. 

But even disregarding that, the quality of their coaching setup is probably worth 15 points a season easily. 

12 minutes ago, Harry said:I’m not too dissatisfied with today. 

I am dissatisfied as we were totally  and comprehensively stuffed and how it was not 5,6or 7 which would have reflected the match. The BBC stats speak volumes. Leeds are good, but they are not LFC or Barcelona  

I did not expect a result but wished we had some opportunities and looks like we never did.

WBA are better than Leeds.  Next week equally difficult 

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

I am dissatisfied as we were totally  and comprehensively stuffed and how it was not 5,6or 7 which would have reflected the match. The BBC stats speak volumes. Leeds are good, but they are not LFC or Barcelona  

I did not expect a result but wished we had some opportunities and looks like we never did.

WBA are better than Leeds.  Next week equally difficult 

I don’t think any 0-1 away defeat can be described as being ‘totally and comprehensively stuffed’, can it?  Especially at a venue like Elland Road...

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Better first 11 I'd say and a hugely experienced and enigmatic manager though. They had to break their bad form sooner or later, unfortunately I suspected it would be against us. We seem to find them really awkward to play against for some reason. Been the case for years!

They’ve battered most sides when I’ve seen them and quite simply are a far better side than us ,( if they had taken half their chances this season , and the keeper hadn’t been throwing them in in recent weeks , they’d have cruised the title )

Why that is so is a debate

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Without any doubt at all. How many of ours get into their best 11?

Eliasson and Wells probably is all and Wells has only been here 5 minutes. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Without any doubt at all. How many of ours get into their best 11?

Eliasson and Wells probably is all and Wells has only been here 5 minutes. 

Interesting thought ( I havnt formed a joint team) but is that because he’s squeezing every ounce out of them and each player knows exactly his role , his part in the playing plan and all have to buy in 

Worth chewing over - Reverse the squads and who do you think would be higher in table  ..

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Not even I will have a melt down after this 

Let's be brutally honest....both teams at their best, and we are nowhere near on the same level as Leeds .

The fact we are so near to them is more to do with their cocks up, more so then our successes 

We must be better than that as it can't be a fluke over the whole season that we were only 3 points behind them this morning. We just don't seem to have any belief against big name teams like Leeds WBA Villa etc I can't understand it

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interesting thought ( I havnt formed a joint team) but is that because he’s squeezing every ounce out of them and each player knows exactly his role , his part in the playing plan and all have to buy in 

Worth chewing over - Reverse the squads and who do you think would be higher in table  ..

As I said I think the calibre of their coaching set up is probably worth a good 15 points a season. Having said that, they burned out last season and are far from over the line this season (although I do think they’ll do it this year). 

And of course for all the gushing over them, they have amassed only 6 points more than us over 33 games, so it’s pretty fine margins. 

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Surely the keeper as well?!

Ah yeah forgot about the mad keeper!

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

As I said I think the calibre of their coaching set up is probably worth a good 15 points a season. Having said that, they burned out last season and are far from over the line this season (although I do think they’ll do it this year). 

And of course for all the gushing over them, they have amassed only 6 points more than us over 33 games, so it’s pretty fine margins. 

All 6 against us! 

6 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

We must be better than that as it can't be a fluke over the whole season that we were only 3 points behind them this morning. We just don't seem to have any belief against big name teams like Leeds WBA Villa etc I can't understand it

It's called an inferiority complex, and we seem to suffer with it quite badly.

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That’s of course fair although I have to say Leeds appear to have played far better through the season than their points tally suggest whilst I’m not sure I can remember us so high without ever really hitting our straps

Funny ole game

35 minutes ago, lenred said:

As others have said, the result isn’t the disappointing part of today, losing by the odd goal away from home to Leeds is not catastrophic by any stretch. But the performance lacked so much belief, it’s like we were beaten before we even started, and that’s a worry.  We set up not to get hammered as opposed to giving it a real go.  And that comes from the manager.  

That’s bull s...   we set up 4 at the back , 2 centre mids,  Ellison, Patterson wide and 2 strikers.  That’s a “have a go lineup ‘.  Which u can argue is a more attacking start than Leeds’s 4-14-1

the players just didn’t perform or it’s just that we are not as good as them. A bit of both I think 

how can you say the manager set up not to go for it.     Stupid comment 

Archived