IGNORED

Leeds United v Bristol City Match Day 33

Septic Peg

46 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

LOADS of those (8) are actually youth players with 0-4 appearances.

Same as our ‘first team’ squad that includes players who have never played a senior game for us (Wollacot) or have spent the majority of their career on loan (Vyner), or were bought in primarily to coach or be emergency cover (Gilmartin). 

I’m still fairly confident in my statement that quality trumps depth! 

33 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

Perhaps the difference is that Leeds have a formation and game plan and stick to it?

Players know what they are doing and what each of them will do in most given situations?

And perhaps every outfield Leeds player was faster, stronger and technically superior to the corresponding City player.

It certainly looked that way to me. I thought we were shocking and totally outplayed and outclassed. How it stayed at only 1-0, was down to a combination of poor finishing and outstanding goal keeping.

That's got to be the most one sided game and worst performance I can recall under LJ

We generally seem to lack inspiration against “bigger” teams. Even at home against Derby we sat back and let them play for 20 minutes before we did anything. Plus LJ likes to try and match or even out-think the opposition, which means shuffling the formation and team selection, rather than sticking to our guns and playing our own particular way.

So where we had Williams and Benkovic as 2 central defenders on Wednesday, because Leeds set up in a 3-3-3-1 formation, LJ tried to counter that by going to 3 central defenders with a rusty Kalas and Baker who hasn’t got the best distribution, plus playing Weimann as a right wing back for the first time. Talk about making it more difficult for ourselves!

in the scheme of things, considering the other results today, we are little or no worse off in the playoff race, but that still doesn’t excuse another poor performance and yet again having Leeds do the double over us. They are definitely one of our bogey teams. Hopefully we can put in a performance against West Brom like the first half last season, and a similar result would be good too.

6 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

We generally seem to lack inspiration against “bigger” teams. Even at home against Derby we sat back and let them play for 20 minutes before we did anything. Plus LJ likes to try and match or even out-think the opposition, which means shuffling the formation and team selection, rather than sticking to our guns and playing our own particular way.

So where we had Williams and Benkovic as 2 central defenders on Wednesday, because Leeds set up in a 3-3-3-1 formation, LJ tried to counter that by going to 3 central defenders with a rusty Kalas and Baker who hasn’t got the best distribution, plus playing Weimann as a right wing back for the first time. Talk about making it more difficult for ourselves!

in the scheme of things, considering the other results today, we are little or no worse off in the playoff race, but that still doesn’t excuse another poor performance and yet again having Leeds do the double over us. They are definitely one of our bogey teams. Hopefully we can put in a performance against West Brom like the first half last season, and a similar result would be good too.

Dis-agree 2 clubs are now only 3pts behind us and more will likely be by this time next week. Its not just the clubs above we should be looking at.

I do feel like LJ overthinks it at times and worries too much about who we are playing. 

Leeds are a very good side in this division but their domination in games don’t score that many. 

I think if we had gone their with similar side we played against Derby and just gone with the mentally that we are gonna out score them we were more likely to get a result. Especially with Leeds being under pressure to get a result. 

I didn’t go but it sounded like we offered very little for Leeds to worry about going forward and the stats would support that. 

Where do we start.

From the first 5 minutes my only worry was that we wouldn’t score as our conversion rate is terrible, once Ayling scored it was over.

Dominated from start to finish bar an initial 7-10 minute spell when Fammy came on which quickly subsided and we adapted.

As is usual when I watch Bristol City I say EXACTLY the same thing.

LJ, he clearly doesn’t know his strongest line up, he clearly had no plan how to defend the attacks from out wide. I would expect this from a manager of 3-6 months finding his feet, not someone who has been there years.

Your only saving grace was your keeper and our absolute inability to be clinical in the final 3rd (which hopefully will be sorted now our new striker is getting fitter).

There is one thing to be outplayed but your players just seemed completely off the pace and lacking commitment. Playing 3 at the back was an absolute waste against one attacker, if anything you need 6 in midfield 2 on Phillips and 2 on Pablo.

I have no idea what your fans were like because my voice and many around me were shattered, we couldn’t anyone outside our raucous corner of the ground.

Wells is the absolute key to your promotion push, hard to judge you based on today as there wasn’t a lot to see.

Wells had that one chance and I believe you should have had a penalty.

I don’t think there can be many complaints as it should have been a cricket score by half time.

The weather was nowhere near as bad as first feared.

Be positive, most of the top 7 still have to play each other so your destiny is still in your hands.

I’m less worried now, we’ve had a shocker recently but we’ve also played most of the top sides in the 3rd quarter of the season already.

400CBF6D-4399-40C6-A69E-6F160F7DD88E.jpeg

7 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

Where do we start.

From the first 5 minutes my only worry was that we wouldn’t score as our conversion rate is terrible, once Ayling scored it was over.

Dominated from start to finish bar an initial 7-10 minute spell when Fammy came on which quickly subsided and we adapted.

LJ, he clearly doesn’t know his strongest line up, he clearly had no plan how to defend the attacks from out wide. I would expect this from a manager of 3-6 months finding his feet, not someone who has been there years.

Your only saving grace was your keeper and our absolute inability to be clinical in the final 3rd (which hopefully will be sorted now our new striker is getting fitter).

There is one thing to be outplayed but your players just seemed completely off the pace and lacking commitment. Playing 3 at the back was an absolute waste against one attacker, if anything you need 6 in midfield 2 on Phillips and 2 on Pablo.

I have no idea what your fans were like because my voice and many around me were shattered, we couldn’t anyone outside our raucous corner of the ground.

Wells is the absolute key to your promotion push, hard to judge you based on today as there wasn’t a lot to see.

I don’t think there can be many complaints as it should have been a cricket score by half time.

Be positive, most of the top 7 still have to play each other so your destiny is still in your hands.

I’m less worried now, we’ve had a shocker recently but we’ve also played most of the top sides in the 3rd quarter of the season already.

Yeah I suppose the only worry for you is that you again were really wasteful in goalscoring positions, and didn't score the 5 that you should have.

1 hour ago, Southport Red said:

Not bad enough that the Leeds commentators kept getting our player’s names wrong, even the Sunday Times is saying our goalie is David Bentley. Very poor, we are in a very good position for the playoffs so at least get the names right, it’s not too much to ask. 

Our own fans can’t get our players’ names correct so what hope for Leeds commentators and The Sunday Times??!?

(Someone has even just started a thread about a player called ‘De Silva’....)

3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Dis-agree 2 clubs are now only 3pts behind us and more will likely be by this time next week. Its not just the clubs above we should be looking at.

We shouldn't be looking at other clubs at all but just trying to win our own games. We are 7th and 6 points off 2nd. Hardly a disastrous position to be in.

16 minutes ago, BigTone said:

We shouldn't be looking at other clubs at all but just trying to win our own games. We are 7th and 6 points off 2nd. Hardly a disastrous position to be in.

Sorry Tone, I never understand that type of statement.

Firstly, we already are trying to win our games.

Secondly, our final position will be in relation to the performance of other teams. So it's not just relevant, but essential. 

Take Aston Villa's promotion, for example. Their progress (ie winning every game late in the season) was very pertinent when observing our own fate.

35 minutes ago, BigTone said:

That might be easier if our coach was less obsessed with the opposition and more focused on his own team's strengths. 

His "unbelievable win" comment post Derby summed it up for me. You'd think he'd just won the ****ing lottery.

1 hour ago, SPAZZA said:

There is one thing to be outplayed but your players just seemed completely off the pace and lacking commitment. Playing 3 at the back was an absolute waste against one attacker, if anything you need 6 in midfield 2 on Phillips and 2 on Pablo.I

Not specifically about the game plan yesterday , but , my constant thought through most of his 4 years 

50 minutes ago, mozo said:

Sorry Tone, I never understand that type of statement.

Firstly, we already are trying to win our games.

Secondly, our final position will be in relation to the performance of other teams. So it's not just relevant, but essential. 

Take Aston Villa's promotion, for example. Their progress (ie winning every game late in the season) was very pertinent when observing our own fate.

The performance of others is irrelevant. Our performance is relevant. We win and the table will look after itself.

27 minutes ago, BigTone said:

The performance of others is irrelevant. Our performance is relevant. We win and the table will look after itself.

Yeah but there's a good chance we don't win, hence permutations. Otherwise, you may as well not look at the league table til the end of the season? Why look at it if you're not bothered about other teams?

6 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Not bad enough that the Leeds commentators kept getting our player’s names wrong, even the Sunday Times is saying our goalie is David Bentley. Very poor, we are in a very good position for the playoffs so at least get the names right, it’s not too much to ask. 

With most commentators calling us just "Bristol" I feel anything more complicated for them is a big ask......

4 hours ago, mozo said:

Yeah but there's a good chance we don't win, hence permutations. Otherwise, you may as well not look at the league table til the end of the season? Why look at it if you're not bothered about other teams?

Well if we don't win then it will be reflected in the table. We cannot control the performance of others so why worry. It is what it is. Further, the league table means diddly squat till the end of the season anyway.

6 hours ago, Superjack said:

That might be easier if our coach was less obsessed with the opposition and more focused on his own team's strengths. 

His "unbelievable win" comment post Derby summed it up for me. You'd think he'd just won the ****ing lottery.

Yeah, a bit OTT that comment. Remember too, that LJ has called every team we have played, post match (possibly with the exception of Luton Town) a "good side".

If all the teams are good, begs the question what is so special about beating Derby? But unbelievable  :laugh: well

On 15/02/2020 at 17:57, Phileas Fogg said:

Better first 11 I'd say and a hugely experienced and enigmatic manager though. They had to break their bad form sooner or later, unfortunately I suspected it would be against us. We seem to find them really awkward to play against for some reason. Been the case for years!

I feared it would be the case after their display at Brentford- I thought 'worst possible time'- that display by them at Brentford would have been a big boost in confidence, just before they played us...

On 15/02/2020 at 17:39, Harry said:

Leeds were always going to dominate possession, they’ve done so against almost every team, and probably every team at home. 

So it was always gonna be a backs to the wall game. I thought, aside from the onslaught in the first 15 mins, we actually competed very well and ‘mostly’ held them at bay. We did well to cut off their usual supply route, which is basically to ping it wide, get an overload, and then cut the ball back for oncoming midfielders. 
That’s Leeds’ most often used tactic and we generally stopped that. 
However, they are a damn fine side and they found a way through. Lucky goal that it was - Klich was never looking to pass that to Ayling - so you could say we were a tad unfortunate on the goal, as we had bodies in the box and had blocked and cut off many attempts. 

We had our big chance. Wells could’ve done better but it was a tough one. 

Whilst you can’t lay any blame to the ref, we had a very very good shout for a penalty. 
Plus Leeds were very cynical and weren’t being punished. Every time we did manage to get a bit of play going, once we got past a man, we were ‘tactically’ fouled. Almost every free kick for us was where we’d beaten a man, got beyond them and looked like breaking away, and they’d bring us down. Only Dallas got a booking for such an act but there were about 10 others such incidents. Ref could’ve easily booked a few more of theirs. 

Overall, whilst it’s disappointing to lose, I actually thought we battled pretty well and put in a shift. I wouldn’t accuse any of them today of not trying, we just lack the quality that Leeds had. 

I’m not too dissatisfied with today. 

Not just possession either.

Chances too...they're the most dominant side overall in this division. Not just saying it because of Saturday but overall.

I wasn't expecting much tbh- if they had a better, or even more prolific striker than Bamford they would have a healthy or at least reasonable lead at the top, IMO.

On 16/02/2020 at 07:13, SuperRed said:

Then that money being reinvested poorly. 

Don't know about that.

A question for me is whether LJ and the coaching staff can get the best out of quite a few of the signings,.

These are not poor players- these are actually players we have seen regress over the season, in a decent number of cases- injuries have also played their part granted.

On 16/02/2020 at 08:35, SPAZZA said:

Where do we start.

I'm convinced that table is misleading as I'm pretty sure we will have to play Leeds twice more this season. ?

Does show that Fulham have to play every one of the teams in the top 7 still!

3 hours ago, Chivs said:

I'm convinced that table is misleading as I'm pretty sure we will have to play Leeds twice more this season. ?

Does show that Fulham have to play every one of the teams in the top 7 still!

Fulham have to play ALL of the top 7 still.

Whilst I hope you get some extra games at the end of the season I hope to be watching but not caring!!!!

And let's get this straight. The price difference will make virtually no difference Reading's turnout. It's difficult to think of a club with less passion than Reading. The only reason they charge £20 at home is that they know their stadium would be virtually empty if they didn't. They're not knights in shining armour coming to the rescue of hard pressed football fans. They're simply staring economic reality in the eyes.

Archived