IGNORED

Chris garland

Bristol Rob

17 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just chanced across this, thought some of you might want to know/share memories of games gone by.

(Apols if this is already in a thread elsewhere)

Sorry to hear this Chris Garland, Galley, Gow, Gibbo etc, etc were the heart of this club when I found it, heart broken when they left; best wishes Chris thanks for the memories. :city:

1 hour ago, Honiton Tony said:

Great player would be fantastic to have a player of his quality up front now

Utter utter class footballer and forward. Always remember he still wanted a winner at Coventry, until someone told him to wind it in Sunderland had lost.. Top top man. City to the core. Got his autobiography A Life of Two Halves. A few could gain something by buying it. Hopefully Chris is ok for wedge, but I guess his family could use the sponds!

Back in the day - we knew these people (footballers) as supporters - they were not that different to us

We knew where Chris lived and actually looked him up in the phone book. Rang up and did what all kids do

"Hello is that Chris Garland" -

"Yes" -

silence and then with nothing to say we hung up - he was a top bloke 

When I started going down HE was my hero. When you say Mr Bristol City he has to be up there. Sold to pay off the Dolman, came back and scored goals to help us stay up and even played without a contract, per game as we went down. Then add he was a bloody good player.

8 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Found this old 'Roger Malone' special on YouTube about Chris:

My channel , some decent stuff on there :yes: ? ?

13 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just chanced across this, thought some of you might want to know/share memories of games gone by.

(Apols if this is already in a thread elsewhere)

The blonde hair striker was a City a hero. He came to the club in the mid 60s bought in by Alan Dicks. I think he was one of the famous Ashton gate 8. 

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

The blonde hair striker was a City a hero. He came to the club in the mid 60s bought in by Alan Dicks. I think he was one of the famous Ashton gate 8. 

He wasn’t bought in

He lived in the Flats behind the Dolman and was the original ‘One of our own’ 

Our absolute local hero

Nearly had me changing to Chelsea as a kid 

Some great memories (& some not so great ones come the end) … the 4 - 3 win against Sunderland still excites after all these years, was one of the standout games for me as a 14year old, remember buzzing all the way home on the number 9 bus that day...

Garland was always a hero from the early day's ..

Enough of the football for now though.... WHAT ABOUT THE MYSTERIOUS .. 'Miss X'  ?

Time has moved on, it's time to spill the beans, someone here must know the ins and outs (pardon the pun) of the Bristol City 'Miss X' story.

Please share!?

*sorry to hear Chris's. situation now,  love and best wishes to him, thanks for some great Bristol City times and memories Chris! 

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Found this old 'Roger Malone' special on YouTube about Chris:

WOW they were great days at the footie, hardly missed a game back then home or away.....plenty of "box entries" as well :clap::clap::clap::banana:

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He wasn’t bought in

He lived in the Flats behind the Dolman and was the original ‘One of our own’ 

Our absolute local hero

Nearly had me changing to Chelsea as a kid 

Think Trevor Taunton with over double the number of appearances for City beat Chris by a year as " one of our own".

1 hour ago, Busterrimes said:

I've just spoken to a member of Chris' family and he is back in this hospice. For those of you asking whether to send cards and good wishes I believe he would really like that.

@Dollymarie  you are the expert on these type of things, any way you could get a card done especially from us older ones

I recall him in his second stint at Bristol City. Whenever he played against us (Cardiff) he seemed to be instrumental in gaining you your routine win (well, back then at least!). Great player,  along with Geoff Merrick, another whose name sticks in my memory.

All the best Chris!

Archived