IGNORED

Chris garland

Bristol Rob

On 24/04/2020 at 16:10, wendyredredrobin said:

I do recall going to an under 23 international at the Gate where Chris was an unused substitute before he left for Chelsea.  I can't for the life of me remember who the opponents were though.

What I do remember though is the crowd kept chanting "Garland for England" throughout the game and being a bit upset that he didn't actually make an appearance.

Just finished reading his book, my first thought was, what a lovely bloke he is - I found it quite an emotional read, given his current state of health.  Very honest account of his career, such a shame his naivety was taken advantage of with regard to contracts, there was no bitterness about this (unlike other footballer biographies I've read), he just wishes he'd been a bit wiser back then.  He is obviously thought very highly of by a lot of people within the game, given the names who have kept in touch with him, and stepped in to support his fund raising.

Having read his story, I'm glad that we went to support his testimonial game v Manchester United, he was part of my footballing childhood.  I swear that somebody in the Grandstand was peeling onions when Chris came out onto the pitch through the guard of honour. 

Highly recommend the book to anybody who hasn't read it yet.

Archived