Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Bristol Rob

Chris garland

Just chanced across this, thought some of you might want to know/share memories of games gone by.

(Apols if this is already in a thread elsewhere)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 4

17 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just chanced across this, thought some of you might want to know/share memories of games gone by.

Sorry to hear this Chris Garland, Galley, Gow, Gibbo etc, etc were the heart of this club when I found it, heart broken when they left; best wishes Chris thanks for the memories. :city:

• Like 9
  • Robin 1

4 minutes ago, stawey said:

would be nice to know where he is so as to send a few cards to him. any ideas

He was in Newport...TREGWILYM LODGE NURSING HOME ROGERSTONE NEWPORT NP109EL TEL.01633896100

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Honiton Tony said:

Great player would be fantastic to have a player of his quality up front now

Utter utter class footballer and forward. Always remember he still wanted a winner at Coventry, until someone told him to wind it in Sunderland had lost.. Top top man. City to the core. Got his autobiography A Life of Two Halves. A few could gain something by buying it. Hopefully Chris is ok for wedge, but I guess his family could use the sponds!

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

Back in the day - we knew these people (footballers) as supporters - they were not that different to us

We knew where Chris lived and actually looked him up in the phone book. Rang up and did what all kids do

"Hello is that Chris Garland" -

"Yes" -

silence and then with nothing to say we hung up - he was a top bloke 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If it wasn't for his goals in our 1st season in Div 1 (76/77) we'd have gone down after losing Cheesley so early on, In the last month of that season he scored against Man Utd, Leeds and 2 against Liverpool

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, swanker said:

My favourite player as a kid. 

Mine too

If there was a single player responsible for my 50 years following City 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When I started going down HE was my hero. When you say Mr Bristol City he has to be up there. Sold to pay off the Dolman, came back and scored goals to help us stay up and even played without a contract, per game as we went down. Then add he was a bloody good player.

8 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Found this old 'Roger Malone' special on YouTube about Chris:

My channel , some decent stuff on there :yes: 😇 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

25 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

My channel , some decent stuff on there :yes: 😇 😁

There is indeed!

Public service posting of the highest order!:winner_third_h4h:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

The blonde hair striker was a City a hero. He came to the club in the mid 60s bought in by Alan Dicks. I think he was one of the famous Ashton gate 8. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

The blonde hair striker was a City a hero. He came to the club in the mid 60s bought in by Alan Dicks. I think he was one of the famous Ashton gate 8. 

He wasn’t bought in

He lived in the Flats behind the Dolman and was the original ‘One of our own’ 

Our absolute local hero

Nearly had me changing to Chelsea as a kid 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Some great memories (& some not so great ones come the end) … the 4 - 3 win against Sunderland still excites after all these years, was one of the standout games for me as a 14year old, remember buzzing all the way home on the number 9 bus that day...

Garland was always a hero from the early day's ..

Enough of the football for now though.... WHAT ABOUT THE MYSTERIOUS .. 'Miss X'  ?

Time has moved on, it's time to spill the beans, someone here must know the ins and outs (pardon the pun) of the Bristol City 'Miss X' story.

Please share!?

*sorry to hear Chris's. situation now,  love and best wishes to him, thanks for some great Bristol City times and memories Chris! 

Edited by WhistleHappy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Mine too

If there was a single player responsible for my 50 years following City 

Can remember being impressed with his blond feather cut hair style. Was well gutted when he went to Chelsea. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, City oz said:

He actually made his debut home o PNE under Fred Ford .

13 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Sorry to hear this Chris Garland, Galley, Gow, Gibbo etc, etc were the heart of this club when I found it, heart broken when they left; best wishes Chris thanks for the memories. :city:

Same for me

38 minutes ago, swanker said:

Can remember being impressed with his blond feather cut hair style. Was well gutted when he went to Chelsea. 

Think Chelsea paid  a City club record (at the time obvs) fee fir Chrissy Garland (our record receipt not their record purchase). 

Sorry to hear of Chris Garland's situation. One of my favourite players back then.

He made a big painful impression on my then girlfriend (now wife) by accidentally standing on her foot in Raquels Night Club, probably 1971. He was most apologetic! 

An all-round nice guy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Found this old 'Roger Malone' special on YouTube about Chris:

WOW they were great days at the footie, hardly missed a game back then home or away.....plenty of "box entries" as well :clap::clap::clap::banana:

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BobbyC said:

He was in Newport...TREGWILYM LODGE NURSING HOME ROGERSTONE NEWPORT NP109EL TEL.01633896100

I've just spoken to a member of Chris' family and he is back in this hospice. For those of you asking whether to send cards and good wishes I believe he would really like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He wasn’t bought in

He lived in the Flats behind the Dolman and was the original ‘One of our own’ 

Our absolute local hero

Nearly had me changing to Chelsea as a kid 

Think Trevor Taunton with over double the number of appearances for City beat Chris by a year as " one of our own".

• Robin 1

1 minute ago, redysteadygo said:

Think Trevor Taunton with over double the number of appearances for City beat Chris by a year as " one of our own".

Fair point  

What a fantastic player he was for us too

1 hour ago, Busterrimes said:

I've just spoken to a member of Chris' family and he is back in this hospice. For those of you asking whether to send cards and good wishes I believe he would really like that.

@Dollymarie  you are the expert on these type of things, any way you could get a card done especially from us older ones

• Robin 1

I recall him in his second stint at Bristol City. Whenever he played against us (Cardiff) he seemed to be instrumental in gaining you your routine win (well, back then at least!). Great player,  along with Geoff Merrick, another whose name sticks in my memory.

All the best Chris!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great player, will always remember those two goals against Liverpool in the first season back in the old First division. A true City legend lots of love to Chris and all his family. I hope you realize Chris what you all mean to us. Nice to see Piggy Malone again back in the day. 

3 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

"Tainton"

I expect you knew that, but spellchecker turned him into Somerset's county town.

Just correcting for those not old enough to remember.

I met him in 1960 as he was one of the lads who did away games. On a train to Plymouth he nicknamed me "Moaner" and it stuck.

Had the occasional pint with him in the Hen & Chicken when I lived in Southville after I got married.

Funniest memory is in a chippie in Sheffield on way back from an away game. Chris asked for "A akelot" and we had to translate for the woman behind the counter.

A true legend of Bristol City who came back to play for us again after the 1982 Ashton Eight episode.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sad news, Chris is one of the players I grew up idolising and he is responsible in a big way for my enduring love of City over the last (almost) half a century!

He also gave me one of the greatest moments in that time in THAT Liverpool game and one I can still replay in my mind after all these years.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

"Tainton"

I expect you knew that, but spellchecker turned him into Somerset's county town.

Just correcting for those not old enough to remember.

Oops, probably my typing skills though.

• Haha 1

B9B106BF-8E86-4E6A-8B16-6EF008F30366.thumb.jpeg.68daf902f1d352efa46d3b3355a52891.jpeg

4DCD96E6-25A8-4561-8931-417191AF05FD.jpegChris Garlands book for those who might be inclined. Good time to buy it maybe!?

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

Not to be a pedantic ahole but its Tainton

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Some great memories (& some not so great ones come the end) … the 4 - 3 win against Sunderland still excites after all these years, was one of the standout games for me as a 14year old, remember buzzing all the way home on the number 9 bus that day...

Garland was always a hero from the early day's ..

Enough of the football for now though.... WHAT ABOUT THE MYSTERIOUS .. 'Miss X'  ?

Time has moved on, it's time to spill the beans, someone here must know the ins and outs (pardon the pun) of the Bristol City 'Miss X' story.

Please share!?

*sorry to hear Chris's. situation now,  love and best wishes to him, thanks for some great Bristol City times and memories Chris! 

Was that the first game of the season when Sunderland played in a sort of greyish strip?

If so, I remember it well and agree it was a fantastic game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Was that the first game of the season when Sunderland played in a sort of greyish strip?

Thats the one...  (see post 12 .. C Garland flashback for the fans video link above)  'our game' appears in that 👍

My first City game; Chris Garland scored what I thought was a perfectly good goal but it was disallowed, he had punched the ball into the net (long before Maradona got away with it). Peter Cormack scored the only goal from a penalty as City beat Spurs 1-0.  I was in the Enclosure at the Eastend end hanging onto the railings to get a better view.  Good times.

image.thumb.png.523a97b46be264c5e06ebf66139775f1.pngimage.thumb.png.83dca71c351b0cdaa933fb0c698fff5f.png

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Really, really good player and would have been capped for England in this era.

He should be proud that a goal he scored over 40 years ago STILL rankles when I think about it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Snake 1

I will always remember playing against Chris when I was at primary school. He was playing for South St primary if my memory serves me well. Before the game started our teacher advised us that they had a player who was very good and that we would put two players on him to shut him down. We lost 11-1 Chris scored 10 and one of the goals was when he picked up a pass from their goalkeeper just outside their box and proceeded to dribble up through the field and and scored in our penalty area. We had a reasonable side at that time but his class was just amazing. Thanks for the memories Chris as a junior and senior player.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Really, really good player and would have been capped for England in this era.

He should be proud that a goal he scored over 40 years ago STILL rankles when I think about it!

Would that be the goal where he had the time to get down on his hands and knees to head it over the line rather than kicking it over?

or is my memory playing tricks on me?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Countryfile said:

Would that be the goal where he had the time to get down on his hands and knees to head it over the line rather than kicking it over?

or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Yep that’s the one,how we did laugh 😂 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

If I recall correctly, City kicked off both halves in that game but Sunderland decided not to appeal the result!

• Like 2

Ozpaul. My friend was Charles Rogers (unfortunately no longer with us). He was a far better cricketer than footballer, and I think that was one of the few football games he played for Bishopsworth.

3 hours ago, Final 3 Star said:

If I recall correctly, City kicked off both halves in that game but Sunderland decided not to appeal the result!

3 hours ago, Final 3 Star said:

Correct. Referee was Jack Taylor who had refereed the 1974 World Cup Final.

Only discovered on Match of the Day that evening.

• Like 1