IGNORED

Light in midfield

AshtonRobin21

LJ had his hands tied today due to injuries. However Massengo looks miles off the pace in terms of his awareness to the game. The lad has bags of potential but today showed he still has a lot of developing to do.

With Smith injured and Nagy seemingly still not right after his initial injury we look very light in the middle of the pitch. 

A lot of fans were calling for Morrell or Walsh to be recalled. There’s two sides to the arguement squad fillers/development.

When considering our position in the league I feel we should have recalled one of them to cover. If Henriksen gets injured it leaves us with Massengo and Rowe as natural central midfielders.

4 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

LJ had his hands tied today due to injuries. However Massengo looks miles off the pace in terms of his awareness to the game. The lad has bags of potential but today showed he still has a lot of developing to do.

With Smith injured and Nagy seemingly still not right after his initial injury we look very light in the middle of the pitch. 

A lot of fans were calling for Morrell or Walsh to be recalled. There’s two sides to the arguement squad fillers/development.

When considering our position in the league I feel we should have recalled one of them to cover. If Henriksen gets injured it leaves us with Massengo and Rowe as natural central midfielders.

The head coach  was a weak, average midfielder....

....hardly rocket science how things have turned out mate 

Doesn't matter how many players we turn over....nowt changes 

9 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

The head coach  was a weak, average midfielder....

....hardly rocket science how things have turned out mate 

Doesn't matter how many players we turn over....nowt changes 

No it isn't. Your opinion on Johnson as a player is irrelevant and has no impact on his ability as a manager.

Midfield were poor today, think Massengo needs to play in a midfield 3. Henriksen still getting match fitness. Hands tied due to injury admittedly but a very poor performance. Fully expected a loss today though.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No it isn't. Your opinion on Johnson as a player is irrelevant and has no impact on his ability as a manager.

Midfield were poor today though, think Massengo needs to play in a midfield 3. Henriksen still getting match fitness. Hands tied due to injury admittedly but a very poor performance. Fully expected a loss today though.

The fact we have been lightweight in midfield for the last 4 years....with no sign of things changing....I have to disagree 

3 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

The fact we have been lightweight in midfield for the last 4 years....with no sign of things changing....I have to disagree 

It's been proven many times over that playing achievements of managers don't really matter - who's Liverpool's manager? Remind me of his glorious playing career. 

It's been proven many times over that playing achievements of managers don't really matter - who's Liverpool's manager? Remind me of his glorious playing career. 

I'm not saying it's always the case. Just saying in my opinion it does in this case 

Performances over the last 48 months kind of back it up 

15 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I was really surprised we didn’t start with 5 in midfield once I saw that Kalas was in at RB.  Either a 4141 with Henriksen sitting, or 4411 with Pato link between midfield and Wells.  We got over-ran.  We all know Ayling is full of energy, and I thought we might go with Weimann in front of Dasilva, but with Pato stopping him when he drives inside.  At least set up solid for 15-20, turn them around, make them start from the keeper with us in shape.

I had no problems with the eleven who started with Smith struggling and Fam ill...just thought we allowed ourselves to be open early on, Leeds flew out the traps and the scene had been set.

always a mistake to come on here after a defeat. We remain 3 points off 3rd and 6 points off second. Clearly missed Famara today and Smith. HNM was caught in possession a few times but also covered an ebormous amount of ground and made some very handy interceptions. It seemed there was a lack of movement further forward on a few occasions as Baker also played JD into trouble a couple of times. Still all to play for.

4 minutes ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

HNM needs to play in the under 23s. He’s too slow and weak for men’s football.

His main contribution is milking free kicks and giving the ball away. 

Plenty of our players looked soft today.  I get what you’re saying though, but he wasn’t the only one.

1 minute ago, Lez said:

Dare I say it we miss Liam Walsh. Someone who can get on the ball and dictate play.

Until we see him in a game like that, we won’t know.  Leeds relentless, a tough type of game to come in, get on the ball with your head up and play like he has for Cov in a lower division.  But, will be ever see him get the chance.  Think he’ll be gone in the summer.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Until we see him in a game like that, we won’t know.  Leeds relentless, a tough type of game to come in, get on the ball with your head up and play like he has for Cov in a lower division.  But, will be ever see him get the chance.  Think he’ll be gone in the summer.

I dont think you just throw him in like that he would need time.

13 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I'm not saying it's always the case. Just saying in my opinion it does in this case 

Performances over the last 48 months kind of back it up 

Fair enough if that's what you think - I think it's a misnomer and irrelevant. We disagree on that but no problem.

We both agree midfield is an issue though, we need Henriksen match fit and Massengo didn't work today. 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Fair enough if that's what you think - I think it's a misnomer and irrelevant. We disagree on that but no problem.

We both agree midfield is an issue though, we need Henriksen match fit and Massengo didn't work today. 

Up until the loan of Henriksen , We’ve recruited footballing midfielders with physicality flaws 

At the same time we’ve increasingly become a non ‘footballing’ side who concede possession 

Muddled thinking to to say the least 

22 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Up until the loan of Henriksen , We’ve recruited footballing midfielders with physicality flaws 

At the same time we’ve increasingly become a non ‘footballing’ side who concede possession 

Muddled thinking to to say the least 

I just think it's reaching for something tenuous to criticise Johnson for. I don't and never will think his playing career has any relevance when discussing him as a manager. I'd say that for anyone.

The only exceptions are a top player who becomes a manager (Lampard/Gerrard/Zidane) who would probably have been the best players in their squad who may be able to command more authority and respect among their players.. but even then it's dependent on other factors. 

Still think it's a misnomer. If people disagree then ok. 

I just think it's reaching for something tenuous to criticise Johnson for. I don't and never will think his playing career has any relevance when discussing him as a manager. I'd say that for anyone.

The only exceptions are a top player who becomes a manager (Lampard/Gerrard/Zidane) who would probably have been the best players in their squad who may be able to command more authority and respect among their players.. but even then it's dependent on other factors. 

They command authority until players see through any managerial weaknesses they have.  If they’re good, they’ll retain it.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I never mentioned anything about his playing career 

I merely made a point about recruitment / playing plan and a sign , and not the first of a lack of clarity / joined up thinking 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree, and would also add that players like Lampard etc have the contacts and the draw for players to come and play for them. That has to be one foot in the door that we don't have (I'm not talking about Chelsea, but Lampard at Derby, Terry at Championship Villa etc}.

Archived