IGNORED

Light in midfield

AshtonRobin21

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No they aren't? The only one I can think of who's around that height is Liam Walsh.

HNM, Nagy, Henriksen, Smith (our primary CMs) are all taller than that by some margin. A very lazy thing to say.

C = circa. Theyre all small. Theyre all slight. Theyre all lacking physical strength. 
Adding Henriksen into the mix is finally LJ realising he needs some strength and height. 
nothing lazy about it. Our head coach has just started to learn his lesson. 

On 15/02/2020 at 17:16, Phileas Fogg said:

No it isn't. Your opinion on Johnson as a player is irrelevant and has no impact on his ability as a manager.

Midfield were poor today, think Massengo needs to play in a midfield 3. Henriksen still getting match fitness. Hands tied due to injury admittedly but a very poor performance. Fully expected a loss today though.

Think most of our CMs need to play in a midfield 3! They really do...we have a strong sqad but still there are better resourced clubs.

Massengo Nagy

Weimann/Paterson? Henriksen Eliasson

Wells

Henriksen can drop back into a 3 there, and help us with a 4-3-3 in certain phases. Playing Paterson as one of the 3 in and around central areas, leaves us too much to do IMO!

It's a wonky layout but it's a loose 4-2-3-1 that shifts into a 4-3-3 and back again.

6 hours ago, nickolas said:

C = circa. Theyre all small. Theyre all slight. Theyre all lacking physical strength. 
Adding Henriksen into the mix is finally LJ realising he needs some strength and height. 
nothing lazy about it. Our head coach has just started to learn his lesson. 

Height of Leeds, Brentford, Fulham, WBA midfielders?

Red. Herring. Slightly. That said Henkriksen may well improve us and balance in turn should improve.

It boils my piss how often we have been bossed in the middle of the park and continue to play 2 in CM. FFS play 3 in a 433. We are lightweight in midfield as we are often over run. Play 3 in the middle and 3 up top and I’m convinced we would play better. 

I cant ever remember LJ playing 3 in the middle of the park

On 15/02/2020 at 17:16, Phileas Fogg said:

No it isn't. Your opinion on Johnson as a player is irrelevant and has no impact on his ability as a manager.

Midfield were poor today, think Massengo needs to play in a midfield 3. Henriksen still getting match fitness. Hands tied due to injury admittedly but a very poor performance. Fully expected a loss today though.

I think both Nagy and Massengo need to get heavily into the gym this summer.

Remember when Reid did this. He was so much stronger and more confident

The championship is still a physical league unlike most of Europe. If these guys wnat to compete they have to get stronger

16 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

It boils my piss how often we have been bossed in the middle of the park and continue to play 2 in CM. FFS play 3 in a 433. We are lightweight in midfield as we are often over run. Play 3 in the middle and 3 up top and I’m convinced we would play better. 

This, very much this! :clap:

I don't include Paterson, Palmer or O'Dowda as suited to being one of the 3. He has a real blindspot...I seem to recall we went 4-3-3 vs Stoke at home 2nd half last season and were very good! Butland had a great game, we hit woodwork twice, once in each half...granted they were a goal up and adjusted accordingly, plus Rowett is good at defending a lead but that 2nd half we had chances as in the first but control wise with 3 genuine CMs, we looked so much better- game before 2nd half at home to Hull, I think we made a similar switch?

On 15/02/2020 at 17:12, Andy082005 said:

The head coach  was a weak, average midfielder....

....hardly rocket science how things have turned out mate 

Doesn't matter how many players we turn over....nowt changes 

A good percentage of successful managers were average players

38 minutes ago, BigTone said:

A good percentage of successful managers were average players

That reminds me of the famous Arrigo Sacchi quote.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrigo_Sacchi

Sacchi was never a professional football player (he had played as a part-time footballer in amateur clubs for some years) and for many years worked as a shoe salesman. This led to his famous quote directed at those who questioned his qualifications: "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

17 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

That reminds me of the famous Arrigo Sacchi quote.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrigo_Sacchi

Sacchi was never a professional football player (he had played as a part-time footballer in amateur clubs for some years) and for many years worked as a shoe salesman. This led to his famous quote directed at those who questioned his qualifications: "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

Nay lad, nay

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This, very much this! :clap:

I don't include Paterson, Palmer or O'Dowda as suited to being one of the 3. He has a real blindspot...I seem to recall we went 4-3-3 vs Stoke at home 2nd half last season and were very good! Butland had a great game, we hit woodwork twice, once in each half...granted they were a goal up and adjusted accordingly, plus Rowett is good at defending a lead but that 2nd half we had chances as in the first but control wise with 3 genuine CMs, we looked so much better- game before 2nd half at home to Hull, I think we made a similar switch?

Yeah i wouldnt include Pato, Palmer or COD in the middle 3. Id have 3 out Korey / Massengo / Henrikson / Nagy in CM and 3 up front. Wells, Weimann + one from Fam / Pato / COD / Eliasson, depending on game. In that Stoke game i remember Walsh had a good game playing in a 3. Id like to at least see it as most of the time we are completely bossed in Midfield.

20 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Height of Leeds, Brentford, Fulham, WBA midfielders?

Red. Herring. Slightly. That said Henkriksen may well improve us and balance in turn should improve.

Not just about height. Physical strength as mentioned already. 
We get bullied on lots of occasions due to poor recruitment of the correct size of player. 
Its great to have busy bees but some back up of muscle also a clear requirement in this league. 

22 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I don’t believe he ever has played a flat 3 with a back 4.  He has done it with a back 3/5.

3 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Can't believe people would even consider dropping an in-form Famara just to wedge in a woefully out of sorts Massengo!

If I felt it was the answer to ensuring we got better results, then yes.  I would do that with any player if I felt that.

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If I felt it was the answer to ensuring we got better results, then yes.  I would do that with any player if I felt that.

If that were ever going to be a plan we should have recalled one of Walsh or Morrell, who would have likely been far more effective. 

Right now I couldn’t see it producing any better results, and would only nullify the little attacking threat we currently possess. 

Archived