IGNORED

Let's be honest - as disasters go, that could have been a lot worse...

LondonBristolian

20 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah, we were appalling today. If Leeds had a top striker and if Bentley wasn't in good form could easily have been 4-0. We just didn't threaten them at all and appeared to run out of ideas very quickly. 

Leeds are clearly better than their recent form suggests. Bad performance today but on the plus side at least we didn't fall apart.

It's vital we get at least a point from WBA now, tall order but we're capable of it. 

Seen a few City teams do that over the years. So yes, let's get ove it & move on.

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s far from perfect , but back to the q

When have we had a stronger , and certainly deeper squad ?

Last 3 years have been much of a muchness, all with different qualities, strengths and weaknesses. This season we have numbers, but with such a weak midfield, putting pressure on the defence. Full backs might be better if we had forward players tracking back more often. 
the key is not individual “upgrades” (A phrase I hate), but having a balanced squad, working as a unit, with a good shape. I don’t think we’ve got that, and no matter how much Lee shuffles it around, we won’t. Definitely a promising squad, and the basis of a much better team next season. Depending of course, on who we sell to keep within FFP.

All individual opinions, and not worth too much debate ?

27 minutes ago, RedDave said:

xG has Leeds at 2.35 goals. Another nail in the xG coffin 

You may need to stop thinking xG in a 90 minute game as a way of being representative of the goals scored at team level in that 90 minutes.  There’s never enough penalties in a game from an xG of 0.78 to occur ???

In fact I’m surprised Leeds xG wasn’t higher yesterday!! ???

Better to look at it for individual players over a longer period, e.g. half a season or more, or as a flow of chances.

As much as I like Experimental361 I find it disingenuous that they’ve created a league table from xG.  Sometimes the context of stats is missing and then people band it around as fact.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You may need to stop thinking xG in a 90 minute game as a way of being representative of the goals scored at team level in that 90 minutes.  There’s never enough penalties in a game from an xG of 0.78 to occur ???

In fact I’m surprised Leeds xG wasn’t higher yesterday!! ???

Better to look at it for individual players over a longer period, e.g. half a season or more, or as a flow of chances.

As much as I like Experimental361 I find it disingenuous that they’ve created a league table from xG.  Sometimes the context of stats is missing and then people band it around as fact.

It should have been higher yesterday. Clearly. 

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’ve been following 50 years

When have we had a stronger or certainly deeper squad ? 

And certainly at this level ?

True, Bob. But we still buy full-backs that can't defend, have a team that can only fashion goals from counter-attacks and corners, and a coach that doesn't know his best formation, or the players to execute it. I'm surprised that we're still in with a shout of the play-offs, but if Johnson can't  fashion a midfield that's capable of protecting his defence, especially down the flanks, we'll experience more games like yesterday's. 

19 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

True, Bob. But we still buy full-backs that can't defend, have a team that can only fashion goals from counter-attacks and corners, and a coach that doesn't know his best formation, or the players to execute it. I'm surprised that we're still in with a shout of the play-offs, but if Johnson can't  fashion a midfield that's capable of protecting his defence, especially down the flanks, we'll experience more games like yesterday's. 

Agree with you

And this is the issue for me , why , four years into a stewardship 

Too many options wanted , without defining or following a playing ethos

21 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

after the Birmingham game,i had us down for 0 points and a hammering on GD after the next 3 games.  so after 2 of those three games to be evens on points and goals,im happy

Derby's away record is shocking, surely you didn't expect us to lose that one?

Saw us losing at Leeds. Lucky was only 1-0. West Brom at home now hugely important.

Archived