Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

LondonBristolian

Let's be honest - as disasters go, that could have been a lot worse...

Sounds like we weren't at the races today but...

1. Given we had two key players injured and one key player ill, and it sounds like we were thoroughly outclassed, a 1-0 defeat to the team in second is not an appalling result.

2. Everyone else around us failed to capitalise. Today makes automatic promotion less likely, although I never really expected that, but our play-off chances have not been too badly hit.

3. I'd rather be LJ picking the team up from a 1-0 defeat than Scott Parker picking the team up after a 3-0 at home to Barnsley

We've got four crucial games coming up and hopefully we'll have some more players back by next Saturday. Onwards and upwards. COYR!

• Like 14

Could have easily been 4/5-0 and Preston and Fulham lost. 

Not a great day at all but could have been a lot worse. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

1. *** Given we had two key players injured and one key player ill, and it sounds like we were thoroughly outclassed, a 1-0 defeat to the team in second is not an appalling result.

2. Everyone else around us failed to capitalise. Today makes automatic promotion less likely, although I never really expected that, but our play-off chances have not been too badly hit.

3. I'd rather be LJ picking the team up from a 1-0 defeat than Scott Parker picking the team up after a 3-0 at home to Barnsley

We've got four crucial games coming up and hopefully we'll have some more players back by next Saturday. Onwards and upwards. COYR!

*** no wonder we couldn't unlock their defence then. 

Yeah it wasn't too demoralising given the circumstances and the gulf in quality. 

One to forget. 

Hopefully a different line up and tactic v WBA.

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

1. Given we had two key players injured and one key player ill, and it sounds like we were thoroughly outclassed, a 1-0 defeat to the team in second is not an appalling result.

Cheers Lee for posting on here 

Yes. The performance was awful, but the result wasn’t. 

Kinda sums up our season really. 

(edit: just realised people will get precious aBout this. For clarification , I’m just saying by and large our results have been miles better than our performances.)

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 10
  • Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

You didn't say "we go again"😠

• Haha 1

No team will win every single game of the season.

Therefor you have to look at the fixture list and make realistic assumptions as to where your points will come from.

It won’t pan out exactly as you would like, but some will.

For me this was always an away loss. Anything more is a bonus. 

Id be worried if we needed/budgeted for points at Elland Road

Edited by 054123
  • Like 1

Yeah, we were appalling today. If Leeds had a top striker and if Bentley wasn't in good form could easily have been 4-0. We just didn't threaten them at all and appeared to run out of ideas very quickly. 

Leeds are clearly better than their recent form suggests. Bad performance today but on the plus side at least we didn't fall apart.

It's vital we get at least a point from WBA now, tall order but we're capable of it. 

• Like 1

I really thought we were heading for a hammering after the start we made. We were hammered but thankfully the score did not reflect their dominance. 

• Like 1

Papering over the cracks - we have the best squad we have had in a long time but cannot compete.

I have not joined in any of the LJ out stuff and certainly not the midget crap but we will not be able to match these teams whilst he, McAllister and Holden are here.

I think we will finish 7th or 8th by a point or three and that is about right with the current limitations of the coaching team.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Strange ain't it, if all the teams that should have won, won, and by some fluke we nicked a point, we would have been worse off !   Football, eh ?

Defo got away with it today thankfully 👍

Lets hope we can get a BIG result against WBA next Sat now 🤞🤞

• Like 1

Fact; Didnt get away with Jack sh1te we lost and as other teams below us won, we have lost ground to them.

There are other teams closing in Cardiff/Blackburn 3pts behind and Millwall 4pts etc who will pass us by if we put in many more performances like today.

So no we didnt get away with it at all really watch out there behind us...for now....who are we playing next week again?

Edited by glos old boy

Really disappointed with today’s first half performance . Had we been 5 down at half time we couldn’t have complained. We were slightly better second half but it’s very strange coming out of a game really pleased we only lost one nil. 

• Like 1

after the Birmingham game,i had us down for 0 points and a hammering on GD after the next 3 games.  so after 2 of those three games to be evens on points and goals,im happy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

after the Birmingham game,i had us down for 0 points and a hammering on GD after the next 3 games.  so after 2 of those three games to be evens on points and goals,im happy

This. I suspect most would have been happy with three draws given the opposition.

13 hours ago, Meh said:

Papering over the cracks - we have the best squad we have had in a long time but cannot compete.

I have not joined in any of the LJ out stuff and certainly not the midget crap but we will not be able to match these teams whilst he, McAllister and Holden are here.

I think we will finish 7th or 8th by a point or three and that is about right with the current limitations of the coaching team.

Best squad in ages? Really? With such a weak midfield?

5 hours ago, Chappers said:

Best squad in ages? Really? With such a weak midfield?

Oh I see what you have done here - because I said about us starting with such a weak midfield on another thread - very clever - not considering injuries or anything - very convenient for your well made point.

So yes - a fit Korey, Fammy and better health Wiemann along with Watkins etc does in my opinion give us the best squad we have had in ages.

As for the weak midfield comment - yes we started with a weak midfield for the Leeds game specifically which was what the other post was about but don’t let that interfere.

So just to answer :-

Rowe for Massengo

O Dowda for Eliasson 

Palmer for Paterson 

5 at the back with Hunt at right wing back would have given us a less weak midfield and made us more difficult to play through.

OK now - the two separate posts inconveniently make sense?

1 minute ago, Meh said:

Oh I see what you have done here - because I said about us starting with such a weak midfield on another thread - very clever - not considering injuries or anything - very convenient for your well made point.

So yes - a fit Korey, Fammy and better health Wiemann along with Watkins etc does in my opinion give us the best squad we have had in ages.

As for the weak midfield comment - yes we started with a weak midfield for the Leeds game specifically which was what the other post was about but don’t let that interfere.

So just to answer :-

Rowe for Massengo

O Dowda for Eliasson 

Palmer for Paterson 

5 at the back with Hunt at right wing back would have given us a less weak midfield and made us more difficult to play through.

OK now - the two separate posts inconveniently make sense?

Glad I was being clever, news to me. Was as simple as people keep posting “Best squad ever”, when the evidence is clear that it isn’t. Simple as that

Yes it could have been a lot worse!
Now the not manager but Head Coach has declared “the players must self coach” - you couldn’t make it up!

another Johnsonism! almost ranking up there with the fewers
Cue (Coco) Clown Johnson!

20 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Glad I was being clever, news to me. Was as simple as people keep posting “Best squad ever”, when the evidence is clear that it isn’t. Simple as that

I’ve been following 50 years

When have we had a stronger or certainly deeper squad ? 

And certainly at this level ?

21 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Best squad we have had in a long time was my exact words. You need to try reading instead of translating!!

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

42 years, full backs not great, no strength in midfield.

3 minutes ago, Meh said:

Best squad we have had in a long time was my exact words. You need to try reading instead of translating!!

Pedantic 😁

11 minutes ago, Chappers said:

42 years, full backs not great, no strength in midfield.

It’s far from perfect , but back to the q

When have we had a stronger , and certainly deeper squad ?

20 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah, we were appalling today. If Leeds had a top striker and if Bentley wasn't in good form could easily have been 4-0. We just didn't threaten them at all and appeared to run out of ideas very quickly. 

Leeds are clearly better than their recent form suggests. Bad performance today but on the plus side at least we didn't fall apart.

It's vital we get at least a point from WBA now, tall order but we're capable of it. 

Seen a few City teams do that over the years. So yes, let's get ove it & move on.

59 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Oh to go back in time and bring Gow, Mann, Whitehead and Tainton back. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Oh to go back in time and bring Gow, Mann, Whitehead and Tainton back. 

Maybe a better 11 / team , Ska , but the squad was about 15 !

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s far from perfect , but back to the q

When have we had a stronger , and certainly deeper squad ?

Last 3 years have been much of a muchness, all with different qualities, strengths and weaknesses. This season we have numbers, but with such a weak midfield, putting pressure on the defence. Full backs might be better if we had forward players tracking back more often. 
the key is not individual “upgrades” (A phrase I hate), but having a balanced squad, working as a unit, with a good shape. I don’t think we’ve got that, and no matter how much Lee shuffles it around, we won’t. Definitely a promising squad, and the basis of a much better team next season. Depending of course, on who we sell to keep within FFP.

All individual opinions, and not worth too much debate 😁

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

27 minutes ago, RedDave said:

xG has Leeds at 2.35 goals. Another nail in the xG coffin 

You may need to stop thinking xG in a 90 minute game as a way of being representative of the goals scored at team level in that 90 minutes.  There’s never enough penalties in a game from an xG of 0.78 to occur 😜😜😜

In fact I’m surprised Leeds xG wasn’t higher yesterday!! 😂😂😂

Better to look at it for individual players over a longer period, e.g. half a season or more, or as a flow of chances.

As much as I like Experimental361 I find it disingenuous that they’ve created a league table from xG.  Sometimes the context of stats is missing and then people band it around as fact.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You may need to stop thinking xG in a 90 minute game as a way of being representative of the goals scored at team level in that 90 minutes.  There’s never enough penalties in a game from an xG of 0.78 to occur 😜😜😜

In fact I’m surprised Leeds xG wasn’t higher yesterday!! 😂😂😂

Better to look at it for individual players over a longer period, e.g. half a season or more, or as a flow of chances.

As much as I like Experimental361 I find it disingenuous that they’ve created a league table from xG.  Sometimes the context of stats is missing and then people band it around as fact.

It should have been higher yesterday. Clearly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

It should have been higher yesterday. Clearly. 

At least it didn’t have City as winning 

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

True, Bob. But we still buy full-backs that can't defend, have a team that can only fashion goals from counter-attacks and corners, and a coach that doesn't know his best formation, or the players to execute it. I'm surprised that we're still in with a shout of the play-offs, but if Johnson can't  fashion a midfield that's capable of protecting his defence, especially down the flanks, we'll experience more games like yesterday's. 

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

19 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

True, Bob. But we still buy full-backs that can't defend, have a team that can only fashion goals from counter-attacks and corners, and a coach that doesn't know his best formation, or the players to execute it. I'm surprised that we're still in with a shout of the play-offs, but if Johnson can't  fashion a midfield that's capable of protecting his defence, especially down the flanks, we'll experience more games like yesterday's. 

Agree with you

And this is the issue for me , why , four years into a stewardship 

Too many options wanted , without defining or following a playing ethos

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

Derby's away record is shocking, surely you didn't expect us to lose that one?

Saw us losing at Leeds. Lucky was only 1-0. West Brom at home now hugely important.

4 hours ago, RedDave said:

xG has Leeds at 2.35 goals. Another nail in the xG coffin 

My internal one had them at about a 6! Am I close with ours at 0.2?

• Like 1