IGNORED

League position

ORANGE500

Can anyone solve the mystery of just how City are anywhere close to the play-off positions the performances this season have been far worse than in the previous 4 since returning to the Championship in 2015. Every week is just dire are there really only 6 better teams in the division? The overall standard must be dreadful

13 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Can anyone solve the mystery of just how City are anywhere close to the play-off positions the performances this season have been far worse than in the previous 4 since returning to the Championship in 2015. Every week is just dire are there really only 6 better teams in the division? The overall standard must be dreadful

Because we’ve accumulated more points than the teams below us..?

It’s not rocket science. 

1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

Wasn’t dire at Reading or QPR or at home to Derby. Short memories City fans - scrapping for relegation has been our natural position.

We've played 33 games and you've been able to come up with how many good performances?

All you've done is prove the OP's point - that our league position is baffling given the huge number of poor performances.

No-one's complaining about being 7th in the league, just about the dire standard of our football.  

The problem with us fans is that we all know we should be doing better, factors beyond the squads control affect our performance too much - today Kalas, not his fault, first game for a while and out of position, midfield once again exposed by the coach’s setup, Dasilva expected to contain attackers much bigger and stronger.

The team can be better as a unit but the right people have to be part of that unit - only the coach can mess up that unit!
But even our coach can’t predict stomach bugs! I wonder how many of the squad are in trouble tonight?

15 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

We've played 33 games and you've been able to come up with how many good performances?

All you've done is prove the OP's point - that our league position is baffling given the huge number of poor performances.

No-one's complaining about being 7th in the league, just about the dire standard of our football.  

I think the clue is "short memories"

You have to agree with the OP. The majority of the season has been a painful watch. City look slow, clunky and run out of ideas very quickly. It’s amazing to see we are 7th and only 3 points off 3rd. City never seem to batter teams, but often get battered, whether that’s scoreline or pattern of play.

Would you fancy city to beat any of the teams in the play-offs over 2 legs? I dare say you wouldn’t. 

41 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

We're 7th in the league, that's great. But I believe that another manager would get better results and performances out of our players.

I think another manager might get slightly more but in such a tight league it wouldn’t be a lot. Risk being that another manager might not do the above. 

21 hours ago, ORANGE500 said:

I imagine fans of Fulham, Brentford, Forest and Preston have all asked themselves the same question. We have every chance if making the playoff's in what is a crazy league. Enjoy it.

18 hours ago, dave36 said:

The problem with us fans is that we all know we should be doing better, factors beyond the squads control affect our performance too much - today Kalas, not his fault, first game for a while and out of position, midfield once again exposed by the coach’s setup, Dasilva expected to contain attackers much bigger and stronger.

The team can be better as a unit but the right people have to be part of that unit - only the coach can mess up that unit!
But even our coach can’t predict stomach bugs! I wonder how many of the squad are in trouble tonight?

You say ‘we all know we should be doing better’, but why should we doing better?  West Brom, Leeds and Fulham all have better squads than us, and we’re in a small group fighting for the play-offs.  Why should we doing better than that?  Beats me what the problem is, but I’ll take being level with the play-offs with 13 to go.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You say ‘we all know we should be doing better’, but why should we doing better?  West Brom, Leeds and Fulham all have better squads than us, and we’re in a small group fighting for the play-offs.  Why should we doing better than that?  Beats me what the problem is, but I’ll take being level with the play-offs with 13 to go.

We were absolute shite first half yesterday, only a few of the team were on their game - of course we could and should have been better!

7 minutes ago, dave36 said:

We were absolute shite first half yesterday, only a few of the team were on their game - of course we could and should have been better!

My point is that we have no right to expect our team to play well in every match.  After every game that we don’t win, fans take to the airwaves or the internet to complain, but what do they reasonably expect?  That we win every game?  The fact is that most teams who get promotion win about half their games, draw a quarter and lose a quarter, so an average of 7 points for each four games is a good yardstick for success.  We’re just short of that at the moment, but why should we expect to be doing better?  Going into a game against Leeds Utd with injuries and illness, having played (and won) less than 72 hours before strikes me as a huge ask and ok we didn’t play well, but a draw would have been a huge achievement in the circumstances.

We are doing ok in the table. Our play maybe not so good but in the last seven games we won five and lost two. Thats very well done, we are hard to beat and we can counter and score. Im pleased so far we are fighting for top six and we got a good chance to be there. Think we will play good rest of the season, this team have something in them. COYR!!!

It's a strange one, actually baffling, that we attract so much negativity. I realize that as football fans we tend to look at the glass as being half empty, but this season has taken fan (over)reaction to new heights (or depths, whichever you prefer). Mid-Feb, six points off second - we are there not because there's been some awful mistake in the calculations, we are there on merit. Whether or not we stay there will likewise be decided on merit. 

Even by this league's own bizarre standards, it's been absolutely bonkers when it comes to teams finding consistency - this is not a problem exclusive to us, and it's stupefying that so many people haven't noticed this. The fact is, there aren't many teams that are all that much better than us (though we did run into one on the weekend, and face another one in a few days) but there are many teams on a pretty even keel which makes for some remarkable results. There will be further dips, much like there will be further highs. Given the players we've sold over the years, given the size and history of some of the clubs we are facing, given their resources, we're doing bloody well to even be having this chat. 

It feels like I've seen it all though now: people moaning that we're higher in the table than we should be just about takes the biscuit. 

9 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

We're 7th in the league, that's great. But I believe that another manager would get better results and performances out of our players.

We have a NASCAR driver in our F1.

Sorry, you appear to have pressed “post reply” before you enlightened us with the name of this elusive individual, who guarantees having us higher placed than 7th....?!

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Sorry, you appear to have pressed “post reply” before you enlightened us with the name of this elusive individual, who guarantees having us higher placed than 7th....?!

The crazy thing is: there's people on here saying that we don't deserve to be seventh because we're crap, other people saying we should be getting promoted were it not for the incompetence of our management, other threads fearing for our promotion because we'd go straight down if such occurred, and not too-distant threads saying we were dead certs for a relegation battle.

Taken as a whole, and to steal an easy phrase, the lot of us are more confused than scooby doo - I'm not surprised our team is inconsistent when we can't figure out where we should be ourselves :D 

4 hours ago, dave36 said:

Pity the coach fails when it comes to pragmatism!

4 hours ago, dave36 said:

Have you ever got anything positive to say?

Archived