IGNORED

Player Ratings - Leeds 0-1 (a)

Davefevs

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bad back from bending over the big white telephone all week.

Could quite easily been other players under the weather too, but perhaps not being sick.  Not the game to not be 100%.

I'm half hoping (though not really, as we need a team of fit players) that what made Leeds look that much better than us was partly down to a sick squad. Whatever it is we need a good recovery and a better performance against WBA: then concentrate on picking up wins against our play-off rivals in the run in.

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Me too and think it was about the time he came off when Leeds starting dominating play again. 

You might well be right.  I didn’t pick up on that myself (I don’t see everything ?), but possibly combination of going back 3/5 also.  I did think we were getting a foothold, and then it fell away.

We were there.

Poor down our left hand side. JD wasn’t good enough defensively and had little cover from Paterson/Eliasson/O Dowda for most of the game.

Midfield was too lightweight for most of the game.

Bentley was by far MotM.

Train delayed in Leeds and connection in Sheffield looking under threat. What an afternoon...,

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Me too and think it was about the time he came off when Leeds starting dominating play again. 

It's a needs must at the moment and ideally he'd be used sparingly. It would be like continually starting Semenyo up front - who, by the way, has been sitting on the bench not getting any game time since his one and only appearance for Sunderland.

I’ve had 3 different un-linked Leeds supporting friends (who all went today) all highlight Massengo as a player they really liked. 

I think with a “sitter” behind him he has more license to be his hassling self as he was today. Sadly we never got going and given how results went elsewhere we came out of that as good as possible with only -1 on the GD in a game that bar Bentley could of been 4 or 5. 

I would of snapped your hand off for 9 points from Reading, QPR, Birmingham, Derby, Leeds. 

We now need a repeat of the WBA home game last season where we started superbly and to kick on- long way to go. 

16 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Bentley had to be a 9 or 10 surely Dave?

Kept the score to 1-0 when really 7 or 8 -0 would not have flattered Leeds at all (plus some horrendous misses of course)

World class at times.

The save from Costa was just impossible to believe unless you actually saw it.

Daniel Bentley will be in the Prem next year.

He actually didn’t have many saves, but the Bamford and Costa ones were top class.  Only 6 shots on target, believe it or not.

bold bit: that’s why I wouldn’t be hasty in letting Mäenpää go.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This might not be pretty reading!! 6/10 is someone justifying his wage!!!  No half marks.

Bentley - 8 - a couple of amazing saves, kept it from being a rout.  Safe handling and did come and take and punch balls. City MOTM 

Kalas - 5 - rusty, but got into some good positions to defend crosses.

Dasilva - 6 - had me tearing my hair out first half, but redeemed himself second half with some driving runs forward.  Let Ayling and Costa run off him far too easily in the first 45.

Williams - 6 - defended for his life, but dragged around by Bamford

Baker - 5 - defended crosses ok, but his distribution awful, especially 3 or 4 passes to Dasilva.  Think Benkovic will be in for home games at least.

Eliasson - 5 - fairly anonymous and wasted the good crossing positions he did get.

Henriksen - 5 - never got a foothold in midfield, we needed one more in there today (see below)

Massengo - 6 - worked his nuts off today, and had to do so much covering of our poor left side (Baker, Dasilva and Pato) in opening half hour it meant he couldn’t help Henriksen.

Paterson - 4 - barely contributed, allowed Costa and Ayling to expose our left side, and then did little else when moved central.

Weimann - 4 - poor too pre-injury.  Couple of interchanges with Wells, but that’s me looking hard for stuff.

Wells - 6 - tried hard up front but often on his own.  Looked our only chance of a goal, almost got it.

Subs:

O’Dowda - 5 - started really promisingly, and I thought “here we go”.  Ultimately petered out.

Diedhiou - 5 - not giving much service

Palmer - not on long enough to rate.

[watched on a perfect Robinstv stream]

Feel free to agree, disagree, swear, etc.

just heard LJ on BBCRB -

Weimann puking last night and straight off to dressing room to puke

Benkovic left calf niggle

Didn’t go Dave as had a long drive back from Stamford but listened to it on Talk Sport2 and sounded like the Alamo, especially the first half.

You get a clear sense of players not involved in the game from the radio and although TalkSport 2 coverage was poor, Eliasson didn’t get a mention until the 27th minute.

Think injuries/illness didn’t help today but  think 3-5-2 would have been a better option. That said didn’t expect anything from today’s game.

As Perry Groves of TalkSport 2 said “dave” Bentley made a couple of world class saves and clearly MotM

11 hours ago, SX227 said:

Bentley had to be a 9 or 10 surely Dave?

Kept the score to 1-0 when really 7 or 8 -0 would not have flattered Leeds at all (plus some horrendous misses of course)

World class at times.

The save from Costa was just impossible to believe unless you actually saw it.

Daniel Bentley will be in the Prem next year.

‘Won’ us many points this year, and IMHO one of the major reasons we are in a ‘healthy’ league position

Wouldn't swap him for any other keeper In Championship 

On 15/02/2020 at 17:54, Davefevs said:

This might not be pretty reading!! 6/10 is someone justifying his wage!!!  No half marks.

Bentley - 8 - a couple of amazing saves, kept it from being a rout.  Safe handling and did come and take and punch balls. City MOTM 

I'd give him an 8.5. Kept us in the game. Distribution wayward at times but the weather/wind was atrocious.

Kalas - 5 - rusty, but got into some good positions to defend crosses.

Dasilva - 6 - had me tearing my hair out first half, but redeemed himself second half with some driving runs forward.  Let Ayling and Costa run off him far too easily in the first 45.

I'd give him  a 7. He never gave up even though he was hung out to dry by senior players who should have recognised that he had two runners at him first half. They did nothing to help him until LJ got them together in a break in play.

Williams - 6 - defended for his life, but dragged around by Bamford

I didn't see that at all. He had a very good game imo. 8.

Baker - 5 - defended crosses ok, but his distribution awful, especially 3 or 4 passes to Dasilva.  Think Benkovic will be in for home games at least.

Again, he had a very good game imo. 8.

Eliasson - 5 - fairly anonymous and wasted the good crossing positions he did get.

Henriksen - 5 - never got a foothold in midfield, we needed one more in there today (see below)

Massengo - 6 - worked his nuts off today, and had to do so much covering of our poor left side (Baker, Dasilva and Pato) in opening half hour it meant he couldn’t help Henriksen.

Paterson - 4 - barely contributed, allowed Costa and Ayling to expose our left side, and then did little else when moved central.

Weimann - 4 - poor too pre-injury.  Couple of interchanges with Wells, but that’s me looking hard for stuff.

Wells - 6 - tried hard up front but often on his own.  Looked our only chance of a goal, almost got it.

Subs:

O’Dowda - 5 - started really promisingly, and I thought “here we go”.  Ultimately petered out.

Diedhiou - 5 - not giving much service

Palmer - not on long enough to rate.

[watched on a perfect Robinstv stream]

Watched it at Elland Road - as you know, you see the whole game live.

Feel free to agree, disagree, swear, etc.

just heard LJ on BBCRB -

Weimann puking last night and straight off to dressing room to puke

Benkovic left calf niggle

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@bcfc01 you’re right, you see so much more at the game.

Indeed, when you see the whole pitch and the positioning of players and their input instead of following the ball on TV it gives a totally different perspective.

I really didn't like some of the things I saw - especially concerning Dasilva who had a thankless task due to the abject performances of Henriksen, Paterson, Weimann, and Eliasson. They hid - they must have seen him having to deal with two runners but did nothing (I've mentioned in many threads that, imo,  Dasilva has a problem with his defensive positioning but that wasn't the problem here). Those mentioned have a lot to do to make up for that, they let down Massengo and Dasilva 18 years old and 21 years old. Both of them gave all they had unlike those mentioned.

Not surprised at all with Paterson or Eliasson as they are both flaky and not made of stern stuff either mentally or physically, but surprised at the other two - expected much more. But illness may have played a part, I don't know but it didn't look good.

The defence in general were good and had to cope with Leeds just running through the midfield at will - especially down our left side in the first half. Not a good day at the office and, at worst in the first half, bloody embarrassing. Second half better with Williams and Massengo trying to get us forward despite a lack of a midfield. O'Dowda imo did more in his limited minutes than Henriksen, Weimann, Eliasson, and Paterson combined - they all hid and were a complete waste of space.

At least LJ would have seen who he can trust - once again.

Archived