IGNORED

“Self coach on the pitch”

La Plage

Oh god- I take it that is this weeks excuse?

As opposed to starting weak tacklers in midfield positions and a centre back at right back and handing the advantage to the opposition from the start which would fall on the coaching team.

Interesting !!

It’s a strange one isn’t it.  When I saw Weimann go left wing, I assumed it was to create an extra man in midfield (451 or similar), yet Pato went up alongside Wells.  Had I been out there today I would’ve been telling Weimann or Pato - “just sit in for 5-10, let’s just get the midfield back, or at least get solid”.  But that can come from direction from the sideline or the pitch.  Can’t believe we stayed 442 for an hour.

Lj was big upping Benkcovic yesterday, stating he was the closest type of player to Webster we had, how great he was at bringing the ball out of defence, how good his passing stats were, what an advantage it was to have that kind of height in the side..............and then leaves him on the bench for the entire game?    I get that it's all about choices, but i would have definitely played him instead of Baker.

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Lj was big upping Benkcovic yesterday, stating he was the closest type of player to Webster we had, how great he was at bringing the ball out of defence, how good his passing stats were, what an advantage it was to have that kind of height in the side..............and then leaves him on the bench for the entire game?    I get that it's all about choices, but i would have definitely played him instead of Baker.

Stated he has a calf injury so not available to start 

He also said he was slightly injured

Turns out he had a calf injury so wasn't fully fit.

Weimann was promptly sick after being subbed.

Don’t like how he singles out a couple players in his post match presser. Done it again tonight.

They are a collective. Should be praised and criticised together, if necessary. If you’ve got issues with individuals, then do it in private.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Don’t like how he singles out a couple players in his post match presser. Done it again tonight.

They are a collective. Should be praised and criticised together, if necessary. If you’ve got issues with individuals, then do it in private.

Didn’t hear the interview so won’t judge whether that’s the case. All I will say is start criticising individuals in the media and the whole squad will end up throwing you under the bus.

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Didn’t hear the interview so won’t judge whether that’s the case. All I will say is start criticising individuals in the media and the whole squad will end up throwing you under the bus.

In fairness it wasn’t as bad as I thought after hearing it a second time.

But he said along the lines that 6 or 7 players came out second half and showed guts. Then at the end he said a couple of them didn’t believe in themselves enough.

Just don’t think it’s necessary.

17 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I worry about another streak every time he starts doing that

17 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Who did he single out?............ :cool2:

I must have missed that.

40 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Modern players seem to be all too keen to avoid responsibility for their performances, often encouraged by fans. Should they not be able to think for themselves when they are on the pitch?

Mr Johnson has been in the role for seasons. He has had time to recruit players who can take responsibility. 

A team is a reflection of its Manager. His ideas. His vision. If players cannot follow those ideas and vision it is the Managers responsibility to ensure they do and alter their mindset.

2 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Bullshit. Forests and Leeds manager have both done it in the last week.

Beat me to it. It’s a major part of any decent managers armoury, in football and in any place of work - protecting your team and taking collective responsibility. 

52 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Modern players seem to be all too keen to avoid responsibility for their performances, often encouraged by fans. Should they not be able to think for themselves when they are on the pitch?

I agree. Game management on the pitch needs to be the responsibility of the players.

LJ has spoken about how during training he puts players in situations where they gave to think on their feet and work it out...then guided. Players need to be able to do that.

For me, we still look like a team that is defensively organised, but when going forward, it just looks like 11 individuals...not a team with a well drilled pattern. We seem to rely on individuals pulling off a piece of magic, rather than anything planned or drilled.

When watching today...apart from Leeds being well drilled, it was noticeable how all of them, when under pressure made natural angles for a pass, dropped to receive, or created space. Very simple  footballing basics.

We simply don't do that...in fact we often do the opposite. It's so noticeable when a player is looking to make a pass, many go behind a player so as not to receive the ball. They very rarely come for a ball and give themselves space.

Forget the Tactics...these are simple footballing basics. Create angles, make space, receive, pass, move.

Today we didn't do much of that and made it really hard work for ourselves.

On a side note...did anyone else think the Leeds pitch had really long grass and played slow? A tactical plan?

I noticed how so many of our players struggled with the slow pace of the ball and Eliasson often scuffed his crosses short because he took grass before ball and hit it fat...

Archived