IGNORED

“Self coach on the pitch”

La Plage

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Very few, if any managers accept responsibility for a defeat.

9 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Bullshit. Forests and Leeds manager have both done it in the last week.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m not interested in what other managers have to say unless it involves Bristol City.

Being a sad troll again , or just incredibly stupid - never sure which , but then nor are you 

21 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Mr Johnson has been in the role for seasons. He has had time to recruit players who can take responsibility. 

A team is a reflection of its Manager. His ideas. His vision. If players cannot follow those ideas and vision it is the Managers responsibility to ensure they do and alter their mindset.

So if they play well it's down to them, if they don't it's down to the coach? I don't subscribe to the stereotype that all footballers are thick so at what are professionals to be expected to be able to think for themselves?

I do get confused following the forum, as the players seem to be simultaneously over coached and not coached enough! -:)

25 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Mr Johnson has been in the role for seasons. He has had time to recruit players who can take responsibility. 

A team is a reflection of its Manager. His ideas. His vision. If players cannot follow those ideas and vision it is the Managers responsibility to ensure they do and alter their mindset.

I don’t often disagree with you Cowshed but if any manager works with his players day in day out and instils his vision, methods, expectations and style into them but on a match day fail to produce what the managers expects - whose fault is that? 

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree. Game management on the pitch needs to be the responsibility of the players.

LJ has spoken about how during training he puts players in situations where they gave to think on their feet and work it out...then guided. Players need to be able to do that.

For me, we still look like a team that is defensively organised, but when going forward, it just looks like 11 individuals...not a team with a well drilled pattern. We seem to rely on individuals pulling off a piece of magic, rather than anything planned or drilled.

When watching today...apart from Leeds being well drilled, it was noticeable how all of them, when under pressure made natural angles for a pass, dropped to receive, or created space. Very simple  footballing basics.

We simply don't do that...in fact we often do the opposite. It's so noticeable when a player is looking to make a pass, many go behind a player so as not to receive the ball. They very rarely come for a ball and give themselves space.

Forget the Tactics...these are simple footballing basics. Create angles, make space, receive, pass, move.

Today we didn't do much of that and made it really hard work for ourselves.

On a side note...did anyone else think the Leeds pitch had really long grass and played slow? A tactical plan?

I noticed how so many of our players struggled with the slow pace of the ball and Eliasson often scuffed his crosses short because he took grass before ball and hit it fat...

I mentioned it on MDT Spud.  Not sure tactical, might be groundsman protecting the pitch knowing the current weather???

Agree with all the other stuff above.

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree. Game management on the pitch needs to be the responsibility of the players.

LJ has spoken about how during training he puts players in situations where they gave to think on their feet and work it out...then guided. Players need to be able to do that.

For me, we still look like a team that is defensively organised, but when going forward, it just looks like 11 individuals...not a team with a well drilled pattern. We seem to rely on individuals pulling off a piece of magic, rather than anything planned or drilled.

When watching today...apart from Leeds being well drilled, it was noticeable how all of them, when under pressure made natural angles for a pass, dropped to receive, or created space. Very simple  footballing basics.

We simply don't do that...in fact we often do the opposite. It's so noticeable when a player is looking to make a pass, many go behind a player so as not to receive the ball. They very rarely come for a ball and give themselves space.

Forget the Tactics...these are simple footballing basics. Create angles, make space, receive, pass, move.

On a side note...did anyone else think the Leeds pitch had really long grass and played slow? A tactical plan?

I noticed how so many of our players struggled with the slow pace of the ball and Eliasson often scuffed his crosses short because he took grass before ball and hit it fat...

In short therefore, responsibility is shared between coaches and players. Getting some fans to accept that players have any responsibility at all though - apart from whoever the latest scapegoats happen to be - is surprisingly difficult.

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Being a sad troll again , or just incredibly stupid 

Because I disagree with certain posts you consider me a ‘sad troll’...........:rofl2br:

Aren’t forum designed to discuss/question others opinions?..........:dunno:

Maybe it’s you that’s ‘incredibly stupid’ if you don’t understand that.

3 minutes ago, publandlord said:

So why make statements like "Very few, if any managers accept responsibility for a defeat. " and then complain when someone points out you are wrong again

I’m not complying at all - I have to take those comments at face value as I take no interest in what other managers have to say - why would?     
I only support Bristol City and am interested only in what LJ has to say.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t often disagree with you Cowshed but if any manager works with his players day in day out and instils his vision, methods, expectations and style into them but on a match day fail to produce what the managers expects - whose fault is that? 

Player or players?

If its players the coach has not instilled his vision and methods into his team. 

Mr Johnson is involved obviously in the selection of these players. He is involved in their recruitment. He coaches them. His players should be compatible with his football.

A person in your former workplace who does not meet expectations, does not buy into the vision, methods etc? It is the individual who is in charge of that person who is responsible to ensure they meet a standard or get rid. 

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Player or players?

If its players the coach has not instilled his vision and methods into his team. 

Mr Johnson is involved obviously in the selection of these players. He is involved in their recruitment. He coaches them. His players should be compatible with his football.

A person in your former workplace who does not meet expectations, does not buy into the vision, methods etc? It is the individual who is in charge of that person who is responsible to ensure they meet a standard or get rid. 

You’re missing my point Cowshed.

In any work setting the boss works with the staff to deliver in a certain way but then when it really matters they don’t produce as instructed then whose fault is that?

Surely the boss has done all they can to get the best out of his workers but then they don’t produce the goods.

41 minutes ago, publandlord said:

So why make statements like "Very few, if any managers accept responsibility for a defeat. " and then complain when someone points out you are wrong again

Because it results in another 50 posts giving him what he wants - attention.

It's actually quite tragic when you think about it.

59 minutes ago, spudski said:

Bit weird quoting myself, but have just read LJs comments after the game, where he says certain players 'hid' from the game and receiving the ball.

This backs up my views where no natural angles are created to receive the ball and players position themselves behind an opponent so as not to receive the ball.

This isn't the first time I've mentioned this... it has been noticeable this season. And it's one of the reasons we often go backwards or sideways when in possession as there are simply no passing options on.

Some it seems are playing with fear imo

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Bit weird quoting myself, but have just read LJs comments after the game, where he says certain players 'hid' from the game and receiving the ball.

This backs up my views where no natural angles are created to receive the ball and players position themselves behind an opponent so as not to receive the ball.

This isn't the first time I've mentioned this... it has been noticeable this season. And it's one of the reasons we often go backwards or sideways when in possession as there are simply no passing options on.

I noticed that difference between the players as well. But do you not think this is a sign that the coaching / motivation method isn’t working?

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's been a noticeable feature of every team low on confidence in the history of football really, it's not a feature of BCFC.  When players aren't feeling positive the movement dries up, they don't want the ball and everything goes long.

The bigger question is why is a team 7th in the table, punching about it's weight result wise, with a level of individual quality of player higher than we've had for a very long time, so low on confidence?

What can be done to increase that confidence?

I'd start with "not picking an XI and a shape using a ******* tombola every week".  It's obvious but some level of security is fundamental in having confidence.

I'd then move to the more advanced level with not overcoaching and confusing the players with arcane bullshit theories and inventing new ways to describe what is ultimately a pretty simple game.

LJ is a bright guy sometimes and he does seem to be able to get a group to believe, but he overthinks and is at risk of believing his own legend.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Yep.

I don’t know why but we seem to be inept at the football basics. The flow, rhythm, cohesion of a decent side is non-existent at the moment. 

I suspect over-coaching, constant switching of tactics and personnel. If so, step forward the Manager. 

4 minutes ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

I noticed that difference between the players as well. But do you not think this is a sign that the coaching / motivation method isn’t working?

I really couldn't say...we don't know what's said in training. However... I've noticed certain traits that stand out for me. Players that seem to tick boxes and are neither poor or decide not to take the bull by the horns so to speak are rewarded. Then those that when under the kosh, try to do something away from the 'party line' so to speak soon get dropped. Taylor Moore and Palmer the two noticeable.

The players aren't playing with any freedom. They look restrained.

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Lj was big upping Benkcovic yesterday, stating he was the closest type of player to Webster we had, how great he was at bringing the ball out of defence, how good his passing stats were, what an advantage it was to have that kind of height in the side..............and then leaves him on the bench for the entire game?    I get that it's all about choices, but i would have definitely played him instead of Baker.

Shocking to have a player of his calibre not involved, whats the point of bringing him in on loan.

2 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Leave Johnson alone, he's a fantastic coach, sets out his teams well, his substitutions are always inspired, has given us a real identity on the pitch.

West Brom next week, can't wait.

If this wasn’t so predictable some people might actually take what you say seriously. 

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Modern players seem to be all too keen to avoid responsibility for their performances, often encouraged by fans. Should they not be able to think for themselves when they are on the pitch?

They are not allowed to think for themselves.

Try anything that isn't within the list of can do by LJ, and you are persona non Grata for a while. No room for maverick footballers these days.

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

In fairness it wasn’t as bad as I thought after hearing it a second time.

But he said along the lines that 6 or 7 players came out second half and showed guts. Then at the end he said a couple of them didn’t believe in themselves enough.

Just don’t think it’s necessary.

Johnson does come out with a load of bollocks at times.

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

I really couldn't say...we don't know what's said in training. However... I've noticed certain traits that stand out for me. Players that seem to tick boxes and are neither poor or decide not to take the bull by the horns so to speak are rewarded. Then those that when under the kosh, try to do something away from the 'party line' so to speak soon get dropped. Taylor Moore and Palmer the two noticeable.

The players aren't playing with any freedom. They look restrained.

Totally agree - especially with the last line of your post ...

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a strange one isn’t it.  When I saw Weimann go left wing, I assumed it was to create an extra man in midfield (451 or similar), yet Pato went up alongside Wells.  Had I been out there today I would’ve been telling Weimann or Pato - “just sit in for 5-10, let’s just get the midfield back, or at least get solid”.  But that can come from direction from the sideline or the pitch.  Can’t believe we stayed 442 for an hour.

I couldn't believe it either.How could LJ not see we were being over run,and completely outplayed. It was embarrassing to watch and surprised we didn't concede a hatfull. 

Archived