IGNORED

“Self coach on the pitch”

La Plage

On 15/02/2020 at 20:29, Nibor said:

It's been a noticeable feature of every team low on confidence in the history of football really, it's not a feature of BCFC.  When players aren't feeling positive the movement dries up, they don't want the ball and everything goes long.

The bigger question is why is a team 7th in the table, punching about it's weight result wise, with a level of individual quality of player higher than we've had for a very long time, so low on confidence?

What can be done to increase that confidence?

I'd start with "not picking an XI and a shape using a ******* tombola every week".  It's obvious but some level of security is fundamental in having confidence.

I'd then move to the more advanced level with not overcoaching and confusing the players with arcane bullshit theories and inventing new ways to describe what is ultimately a pretty simple game.

LJ is a bright guy sometimes and he does seem to be able to get a group to believe, but he overthinks and is at risk of believing his own legend.

I find it really strange to hear that LJ is actually complaining about players not wanting the ball! 
Our midfield has not been fit for purpose for a long time! 
His players his coaching, his motivating and HIS EXPERTISE IN AVOIDING THE BALL IN MIDFIELD!

i don’t think the players have any belief in him, watch the reactions when he calls them over during breaks in play! Not good

As many have said before a team in his own image! His last seasons with us he would not even have made the bench if the Manager were not his dad, so good was he at avoiding contact.

Our team is full of talent but are playing like they don’t know each other, change that improve possession and pass completion and we could tear the league up! Especially so in the crazy league that the championship is now.

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Well, each to his own, but I understand implicitly what LJ means by that remark.

When you see a young fullback like Dasilva being overrun by having two players running at him with other senior players just watching it unfold, its clear that either those players have absolutely no interest in helping out their team mate or have no understanding of the game. Both of which are unacceptable.

Exactly as I said earlier....you’d expect a “leader(s)” not necessarily Senior, to be trying to get something sorted.  Unless of course that has been tried before and LJ has told them to stick to the plan.

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Just to add to this, at one break in the game LJ called all the players over to him and had what looked like a very animated chat with them and at one point pointed to the left back position. It was obvious he knew where it was going wrong, but it made no difference as the players just carried on doing what they were doing previously.

Along playing the “spy” on our tactical briefing.  LJ sorts him out.

5 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Well, each to his own, but I understand implicitly what LJ means by that remark.

When you see a young fullback like Dasilva being overrun by having two players running at him with other senior players just watching it unfold, its clear that either those players have absolutely no interest in helping out their team mate or have no understanding of the game. Both of which are unacceptable.

I get what he means, really he’s just asking players to be leaders and/or organisers and/or characters on the field.

I might be being too harsh here but Lee has the final say on all incoming players so why hasn’t he made sure those characteristics exist? Look at the reactions when we concede goals, usually heads down and no communicating, no geeing each other up.  It’s an ongoing criticism of mine, we sign players to fit positions but don’t seem to sign characters.... where’s our vocal organiser? Niggly break the game up player? Gee the rest of the team up player? In the ref’s ear player? We seem to send out 11 nice men which is even stranger when you think about our management team - Lee (in ref’s ear) and Jamie McAllister (organiser, leader, niggly player).

For all his limitations, this is when you could do with a Bailey Wright.... when he was at his best. 

10 hours ago, Mendip City said:

I get what he means, really he’s just asking players to be leaders and/or organisers and/or characters on the field.

I might be being too harsh here but Lee has the final say on all incoming players so why hasn’t he made sure those characteristics exist? Look at the reactions when we concede goals, usually heads down and no communicating, no geeing each other up.  It’s an ongoing criticism of mine, we sign players to fit positions but don’t seem to sign characters.... where’s our vocal organiser? Niggly break the game up player? Gee the rest of the team up player? In the ref’s ear player? We seem to send out 11 nice men which is even stranger when you think about our management team - Lee (in ref’s ear) and Jamie McAllister (organiser, leader, niggly player).

For all his limitations, this is when you could do with a Bailey Wright.... when he was at his best. 

This may sound like psychological mumbo jumbo but it is possible and realistic to coach those responses. I wont say its easy. In sport and in wider life you can with training learn to react to challenges more positively. Going a goal down is in the past, you cannot change it, it is a non negotiable, but our responses are negotiable. We can choose our mindset.

Bristol City did work with a highly respected sports psychologist called Bill Beswick. 

This maybe a bit deep for a football forum, but self talk is what Bill Beswick does. It is self coaching but it is highly dependant on trust. Trust in what you do, its methods, it coaching, its Manager .. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

This may sound like psychological mumbo jumbo but it is possible and realistic to coach those responses. I wont say its easy. In sport and in wider life you can with training learn to react to challenges more positively. Going a goal down is in the past, you cannot change it, it is a non negotiable, but our responses are negotiable. We can choose our mindset.

Bristol City did work with a highly respected sports psychologist called Bill Beswick. 

This maybe a bit deep for a football forum, but self talk is what Bill Beswick does. It is self coaching but it is highly dependant on trust. Trust in what you do, its methods, it coaching, its Manager .. 

I agree you can train it into some people, we don’t hear anything about sports psychology at our club. Might be happening of course. If we’re not doing it, then we need to employ the right characters on the field (and hope their characteristics rub off on those around them). 

7 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I hope our coaches watched and absorbed how Pat Lam conducted himself yesterday. 

Archived