Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

La Plage

“Self coach on the pitch”

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I agree. Game management on the pitch needs to be the responsibility of the players.

LJ has spoken about how during training he puts players in situations where they gave to think on their feet and work it out...then guided. Players need to be able to do that.

For me, we still look like a team that is defensively organised, but when going forward, it just looks like 11 individuals...not a team with a well drilled pattern. We seem to rely on individuals pulling off a piece of magic, rather than anything planned or drilled.

When watching today...apart from Leeds being well drilled, it was noticeable how all of them, when under pressure made natural angles for a pass, dropped to receive, or created space. Very simple  footballing basics.

We simply don't do that...in fact we often do the opposite. It's so noticeable when a player is looking to make a pass, many go behind a player so as not to receive the ball. They very rarely come for a ball and give themselves space.

Forget the Tactics...these are simple footballing basics. Create angles, make space, receive, pass, move.

Today we didn't do much of that and made it really hard work for ourselves.

On a side note...did anyone else think the Leeds pitch had really long grass and played slow? A tactical plan?

I noticed how so many of our players struggled with the slow pace of the ball and Eliasson often scuffed his crosses short because he took grass before ball and hit it fat...

Yep.

I don’t know why but we seem to be inept at the football basics. The flow, rhythm, cohesion of a decent side is non-existent at the moment. 

I suspect over-coaching, constant switching of tactics and personnel. If so, step forward the Manager. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

I noticed that difference between the players as well. But do you not think this is a sign that the coaching / motivation method isn’t working?

I really couldn't say...we don't know what's said in training. However... I've noticed certain traits that stand out for me. Players that seem to tick boxes and are neither poor or decide not to take the bull by the horns so to speak are rewarded. Then those that when under the kosh, try to do something away from the 'party line' so to speak soon get dropped. Taylor Moore and Palmer the two noticeable.

The players aren't playing with any freedom. They look restrained.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Lj was big upping Benkcovic yesterday, stating he was the closest type of player to Webster we had, how great he was at bringing the ball out of defence, how good his passing stats were, what an advantage it was to have that kind of height in the side..............and then leaves him on the bench for the entire game?    I get that it's all about choices, but i would have definitely played him instead of Baker.

Shocking to have a player of his calibre not involved, whats the point of bringing him in on loan.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

Shocking to have a player of his calibre not involved, whats the point of bringing him in on loan.

Maybe we need another few weeks to coach the football out of him before we can start him regularly?

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1
  • Rovers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Leave Johnson alone, he's a fantastic coach, sets out his teams well, his substitutions are always inspired, has given us a real identity on the pitch.

West Brom next week, can't wait.

If this wasn’t so predictable some people might actually take what you say seriously. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Modern players seem to be all too keen to avoid responsibility for their performances, often encouraged by fans. Should they not be able to think for themselves when they are on the pitch?

They are not allowed to think for themselves.

Try anything that isn't within the list of can do by LJ, and you are persona non Grata for a while. No room for maverick footballers these days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

In fairness it wasn’t as bad as I thought after hearing it a second time.

But he said along the lines that 6 or 7 players came out second half and showed guts. Then at the end he said a couple of them didn’t believe in themselves enough.

Just don’t think it’s necessary.

Johnson does come out with a load of bollocks at times.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, spudski said:

I really couldn't say...we don't know what's said in training. However... I've noticed certain traits that stand out for me. Players that seem to tick boxes and are neither poor or decide not to take the bull by the horns so to speak are rewarded. Then those that when under the kosh, try to do something away from the 'party line' so to speak soon get dropped. Taylor Moore and Palmer the two noticeable.

The players aren't playing with any freedom. They look restrained.

Totally agree - especially with the last line of your post ...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a strange one isn’t it.  When I saw Weimann go left wing, I assumed it was to create an extra man in midfield (451 or similar), yet Pato went up alongside Wells.  Had I been out there today I would’ve been telling Weimann or Pato - “just sit in for 5-10, let’s just get the midfield back, or at least get solid”.  But that can come from direction from the sideline or the pitch.  Can’t believe we stayed 442 for an hour.

I couldn't believe it either.How could LJ not see we were being over run,and completely outplayed. It was embarrassing to watch and surprised we didn't concede a hatfull. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, spudski said:

Bit weird quoting myself, but have just read LJs comments after the game, where he says certain players 'hid' from the game and receiving the ball.

This backs up my views where no natural angles are created to receive the ball and players position themselves behind an opponent so as not to receive the ball.

This isn't the first time I've mentioned this... it has been noticeable this season. And it's one of the reasons we often go backwards or sideways when in possession as there are simply no passing options on.

Some it seems are playing with fear imo

Yep, one of my biggest bugbears.

Not picking on Eliasson, using him as an example, when playing RW, I rarely see him pop up anywhere else than the touchline in general patterns of play.  Transition?  Sometimes.  There is not enough fluidity.  There’s a difference between that and being ill-disciplined.

There was a great twitter video around Xmas (funnily enough it was City (h) v Leeds), where it shows movement in pairs.  Bamford coming short, Klich going the other way, giving two different passing options for the guy on the ball.  If Klich isn’t tracked, he’s played in over the top.  There were several other examples.

On Wednesday I actually saw Eliasson’s movement looking like he’d really sussed it.  Today, back to normal.

Re Massengo today.  There were times when his teammates have got to appreciate he isn’t gonna play a 40 yard through ball when he springs forward from an interception.  A bit like above, you need one to give him the easy, keep momentum option, and a second gambling that he might spring a “Palmer-type” throughball.  Don’t get me wrong it is an area he needs to develop, but his teammates need to help him too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, spudski said:

Bit weird quoting myself, but have just read LJs comments after the game, where he says certain players 'hid' from the game and receiving the ball.

This backs up my views where no natural angles are created to receive the ball and players position themselves behind an opponent so as not to receive the ball.

This isn't the first time I've mentioned this... it has been noticeable this season. And it's one of the reasons we often go backwards or sideways when in possession as there are simply no passing options on.

Some it seems are playing with fear imo

I’d say that’s spot on.

I thought it used to be Marlon that liked to go backwards when there was another option but we seem to be doing that more and more now.

Noticeable today too. When we were losing and should have been pressing we weren’t. Too many times we went backwards.

And I’d love to know what the instructions are when DB gets the ball and so often looks for a quick ball away. I can’t think of a time when he’s been able get the bell away.

To me if he’s looking to do that then it’s not something he’s been told not to do. And yet no one I’m front of him seems to either want it or makes themselves available to receive it.

I’ve come to the conclusion that our league position is flattering us. Leeds today were a different class....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, spudski said:

I really couldn't say...we don't know what's said in training. However... I've noticed certain traits that stand out for me. Players that seem to tick boxes and are neither poor or decide not to take the bull by the horns so to speak are rewarded. Then those that when under the kosh, try to do something away from the 'party line' so to speak soon get dropped. Taylor Moore and Palmer the two noticeable.

The players aren't playing with any freedom. They look restrained.

How we needed a Taylor Moore type today. Conditions were tough.

What did we have? A very lightweight midfield. Eliasson and Paterson for most of it with the introduction of O Dowda. All very lightweight and sadly ineffective and absent for most of the 90 minutes.......

Massengo did ok but first touch wasn’t good enough and he didn’t demonstrate enough drive or “toughness” either.

Last 15 minutes with Ashley W pushing forward and we started to look more of a threat but by then it was all over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

I’d say that’s spot on.

I thought it used to be Marlon that liked to go backwards when there was another option but we seem to be doing that more and more now.

Noticeable today too. When we were losing and should have been pressing we weren’t. Too many times we went backwards.

And I’d love to know what the instructions are when DB gets the ball and so often looks for a quick ball away. I can’t think of a time when he’s been able get the bell away.

To me if he’s looking to do that then it’s not something he’s been told not to do. And yet no one I’m front of him seems to either want it or makes themselves available to receive it.

I’ve come to the conclusion that our league position is flattering us. Leeds today were a different class....

I think my only hope - and it’s the hope that kills you - is suddenly and more than likely by luck, LJ will stumble on a formation that will ‘click’. That will provide fluidity, cohesion and rhythm. 

Think the clock is ticking though, and I’ve my doubts now he’s got the time. 

Hope I’m wrong as I want the best for my Club but we look light years from having a team that could survive the Premier League.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

In fairness it wasn’t as bad as I thought after hearing it a second time.

But he said along the lines that 6 or 7 players came out second half and showed guts. Then at the end he said a couple of them didn’t believe in themselves enough.

Just don’t think it’s necessary.

Well a load of them did have stomach bugs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Don’t like how he singles out a couple players in his post match presser. Done it again tonight.

They are a collective. Should be praised and criticised together, if necessary. If you’ve got issues with individuals, then do it in private.

Havn’t heard it was depressingly driving home. Who did he actually name and shame?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spudski said:

This backs up my views where no natural angles are created to receive the ball and players position themselves behind an opponent so as not to receive the ball.

This isn't the first time I've mentioned this... it has been noticeable this season. And it's one of the reasons we often go backwards or sideways when in possession as there are simply no passing options on

You’re not mentioning the effect the opposition have off the ball. That is often why we see City and other teams having to pass sideways to frequently.

The opposition are working hard at closing the angles, particularly forward angles. 

Clearly it’s up to City to find a way to overcome that and to do that movement is essential - as we saw against Derby midweek.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

You’re missing my point Cowshed.

In any work setting the boss works with the staff to deliver in a certain way but then when it really matters they don’t produce as instructed then whose fault is that?

Surely the boss has done all they can to get the best out of his workers but then they don’t produce the goods.

You are missing the point I was making. A team is a reflection of its Manager. In this case its head coach - The person who recruited, trained and developed them. 

If he has done all he can he should take responsibility and get rid of the player. 

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

So if they play well it's down to them, if they don't it's down to the coach? I don't subscribe to the stereotype that all footballers are thick so at what are professionals to be expected to be able to think for themselves?

I do get confused following the forum, as the players seem to be simultaneously over coached and not coached enough! -:)

What is thinking for themselves? 

If it refers to problem solving. Problem solving in football can be improved by simplicity and concentrating on task v tasks. This improves confidence, understanding - Confident players are more likely to problem solve.

Consider the point made in this post.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

It's been a noticeable feature of every team low on confidence in the history of football really, it's not a feature of BCFC.  When players aren't feeling positive the movement dries up, they don't want the ball and everything goes long.

The bigger question is why is a team 7th in the table, punching about it's weight result wise, with a level of individual quality of player higher than we've had for a very long time, so low on confidence?

What can be done to increase that confidence?

I'd start with "not picking an XI and a shape using a ******* tombola every week".  It's obvious but some level of security is fundamental in having confidence.

I'd then move to the more advanced level with not overcoaching and confusing the players with arcane bullshit theories and inventing new ways to describe what is ultimately a pretty simple game.

LJ is a bright guy sometimes and he does seem to be able to get a group to believe, but he overthinks and is at risk of believing his own legend.

Nibor is posting about repetition. Mr Johnson has used seven formations this season. Training will be less repetitious it can affect confidence and relationships on the pitch will almost certainly lack understanding they would v less change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Don’t like how he singles out a couple players in his post match presser. Done it again tonight.

They are a collective. Should be praised and criticised together, if necessary. If you’ve got issues with individuals, then do it in private.

Imo, the Samuel L Jackon film Coach Carter is how any collective group should be managed.
 

LJ seems to promote togetherness but hides any tactical blunder behind player names. Should have rotated to 4-5-1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, one of my biggest bugbears.

Not picking on Eliasson, using him as an example, when playing RW, I rarely see him pop up anywhere else than the touchline in general patterns of play.  Transition?  Sometimes.  There is not enough fluidity.  There’s a difference between that and being ill-disciplined.

There was a great twitter video around Xmas (funnily enough it was City (h) v Leeds), where it shows movement in pairs.  Bamford coming short, Klich going the other way, giving two different passing options for the guy on the ball.  If Klich isn’t tracked, he’s played in over the top.  There were several other examples.

On Wednesday I actually saw Eliasson’s movement looking like he’d really sussed it.  Today, back to normal.

Re Massengo today.  There were times when his teammates have got to appreciate he isn’t gonna play a 40 yard through ball when he springs forward from an interception.  A bit like above, you need one to give him the easy, keep momentum option, and a second gambling that he might spring a “Palmer-type” throughball.  Don’t get me wrong it is an area he needs to develop, but his teammates need to help him too.

I think it was Massengo and Eliasson who LJ called out today.

Weimann can be one of the worst for not creating an angle. It's so bad sometimes I've often wondered whether he does it on purpose for a breather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Head Coach’s post match interviews are a bit cringy now - after the home defeat to Brum I heard a radio interview during which he listed reasons why we lost and basically blamed the players for everything - he even said something along the lines of “tactics were certainly not to blame” ... oh well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You are missing the point I was making. A team is a reflection of its Manager. In this case its head coach - The person who recruited, trained and developed them. 

If he has done all he can he should take responsibility and get rid of the player. 

What is thinking for themselves? 

If it refers to problem solving. Problem solving in football can be improved by simplicity and concentrating on task v tasks. This improves confidence, understanding - Confident players are more likely to problem solve.

Consider the point made in this post.

Nibor is posting about repetition. Mr Johnson has used seven formations this season. Training will be less repetitious it can affect confidence and relationships on the pitch will almost certainly lack understanding they would v less change. 

I certainly don’t profess to have any great insight into coaching tactics, but I do feel that many of the most successful teams have a structure and a style, so that when players move up from academy, to U23’s/reserves and then onto first team, they already know their role, the way the team will play.

The very top teams seem to have this structure, but also players with the ability to react to changes to it, I’m not sure at our level they have that level of ability, so constant chopping and changing is detrimental and is reflected in the confused and disjointed performances we are witnessing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, La Plage said:

Ah I completely understand where we are going wrong, the players don’t coach themselves well enough during the games.

I've heard this part of the interview. It sounds a bit jargoney so people will jump in to criticise - but what he's actually saying is fine. He's saying players need to keep their composure and think about their own game whilst on the pitch. Nothing wrong with that really. If he'd said it without use of a jargon people wouldn't care.

3 hours ago, Lew-T said:

In fairness it wasn’t as bad as I thought after hearing it a second time.

But he said along the lines that 6 or 7 players came out second half and showed guts. Then at the end he said a couple of them didn’t believe in themselves enough.

Just don’t think it’s necessary.

Does he single out players by name? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Imo, the Samuel L Jackon film Coach Carter is how any collective group should be managed.
 

LJ seems to promote togetherness but hides any tactical blunder behind player names. Should have rotated to 4-5-1.

Great film. What specifically do you mean?

Might watch it tomorrow now you've reminded me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You’re not mentioning the effect the opposition have off the ball. That is often why we see City and other teams having to pass sideways to frequently.

The opposition are working hard at closing the angles, particularly forward angles. 

Clearly it’s up to City to find a way to overcome that and to do that movement is essential - as we saw against Derby midweek.

Sorry. Don’t agree.

I think with us it’s more to do with a lack of confidence or ability.

Opposition and conditions might have some impact but to the extent you seem to be suggesting.

Fact of the matter from my old eyes is that we simply ain’t good enough. Leeds weren’t that good today. But we were more poor - what terrible grammar..... 😃

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've heard this part of the interview. It sounds a bit jargoney so people will jump in to criticise - but what he's actually saying is fine. He's saying players need to keep their composure and think about their own game whilst on the pitch. Nothing wrong with that really. If he'd said it without use of a jargon people wouldn't care.

Does he single out players by name? 

I think it was a poor choice of words

I think he’s on about problem solving / recognising dangers / decision making by players in game.

I think he has a point to a degree , we have enough experienced heads out there

However , what I’d also add is we don’t know what instructions he’s giving , ( and more importantly IMHO )

 players have less of a problem solving and decision dilemmas if they have a good , well understood , system , and understanding that they can rely on 

Players arnt blameless but not as easy as throwing it all their way

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spudski said:

I really couldn't say...we don't know what's said in training. However... I've noticed certain traits that stand out for me. Players that seem to tick boxes and are neither poor or decide not to take the bull by the horns so to speak are rewarded. Then those that when under the kosh, try to do something away from the 'party line' so to speak soon get dropped. Taylor Moore and Palmer the two noticeable.

The players aren't playing with any freedom. They look restrained.

Jack has mentioned being free from shackles on numerous occasions…usually after a win

I don't really know what is to be inferred from that though…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Sorry. Don’t agree.

I think with us it’s more to do with a lack of confidence or ability.

Opposition and conditions might have some impact but to the extent you seem to be suggesting.

Fact of the matter from my old eyes is that we simply ain’t good enough. Leeds weren’t that good today. But we were more poor - what terrible grammar..... 😃

LJ said that Leeds were better side today and deserved the win however my point about the opposition stopping City when they don’t have the ball has an impact upon how freely City can move the ball and doesn’t apply to just today’s game. We’ve seen it plenty of times at AG when the ball goes sideways repeatedly and that’s down to the opposition stopping the easy forward pass by clever positioning.

Thats precisely what LJ is getting at when he mentions ’working off the ball’. In other words giving the opposition less passing options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I think it was a poor choice of words

I think he’s on about problem solving / recognising dangers / decision making by players in game.

I think he has a point to a degree , we have enough experienced heads out there

However , what I’d also add is we don’t know what instructions he’s giving , ( and more importantly IMHO )

 players have less of a problem solving and decision dilemmas if they have a good , well understood , system , and understanding that they can rely on 

Players arnt blameless but not as easy as throwing it all their way

Agreed. Johnson can be his own worst enemy at times, after a defeat isn’t the time for any sort of jargon or things for people to latch onto and criticise.. unless it’s a clever way of taking the scrutiny of his own players!

Save it for when we’re doing well or at a QnA when he can go into more detail. I like his honesty and candidness, but after a defeat when fans are annoyed about a performance he should just keep it simple and try not to say too much. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, the weekly “let’s pull something out of LJ’s post-match interview and tear it apart” thread.
 

This week “players need to self coach on the pitch”. 
 

Fan reaction : “he’s singling people out, he’s not taking responsibility, he’s a poor manager” etc etc. 
 

He mentioned no names. He singled nobody out. He acknowledged we were up against a better team and that we showed some character in the 2nd half particularly. But he simply said that players need to make better decisions and understand the ‘game situation’ for themselves. 
Of course they bloody should. Are you people expecting 11 robots who can only implement the managers instructions for 90 minutes! Of course players have to “self coach”. 

 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Does he single out players by name? 

No he doesn’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I think it was a poor choice of words

I think he’s on about problem solving / recognising dangers / decision making by players in game.

I think he has a point to a degree , we have enough experienced heads out there

However , what I’d also add is we don’t know what instructions he’s giving , ( and more importantly IMHO )

 players have less of a problem solving and decision dilemmas if they have a good , well understood , system , and understanding that they can rely on 

Players arnt blameless but not as easy as throwing it all their way

Look at this way Bob.    Your boss works with you all week and explains exactly the way in which they want you to work  - and then you don’t do it the way you were told - is that your fault or is it your bosses fault?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, La Plage said:

Ah I completely understand where we are going wrong, the players don’t coach themselves well enough during the games.

So I guess the next win will be all down to the players, I’ve absolutely no doubt LJ wont want to take any  credit for it at all........................🙄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spudski said:

I think it was Massengo and Eliasson who LJ called out today.

Weimann can be one of the worst for not creating an angle. It's so bad sometimes I've often wondered whether he does it on purpose for a breather.

That would make sense.  Calling out an 18 year old and our most creative player.   He clearly doesn't appraise his own interviews..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Look at this way Bob.    Your boss works with you all week and explains exactly the way in which they want you to work  - and then you don’t do it the way you were told - is that your fault or is it your bosses fault?

What about if your boss has the opportunity at any time over a 90 minute period to instruct you what he wants. 

He also gets a 15 minute period halfway through to say the same. 

It’s LJ bullshit again, blaming everyone else and taking zero responsibility himself, a common occurrence. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've heard this part of the interview. It sounds a bit jargoney so people will jump in to criticise - but what he's actually saying is fine. He's saying players need to keep their composure and think about their own game whilst on the pitch. Nothing wrong with that really. If he'd said it without use of a jargon people wouldn't care.

Does he single out players by name? 

No names were mentioned but it seemed clear to me he was talking about Massengo. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ said that Leeds were better side today and deserved the win however my point about the opposition stopping City when they don’t have the ball has an impact upon how freely City can move the ball and doesn’t apply to just today’s game. We’ve seen it plenty of times at AG when the ball goes sideways repeatedly and that’s down to the opposition stopping the easy forward pass by clever positioning.

Thats precisely what LJ is getting at when he mentions ’working off the ball’. In other words giving the opposition less passing options.

Well it’s about time LJ started coaching his players how to keep hold of possession and create things at the same time, he’s only had 4 years to work on it!

We had 33% possession against Derby and 31% today,  we continue like this and “ working off the ball” for 70% of the game is going to catch up with us. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson told BBC Radio Bristol:

"I was disappointed in the first 25-30 minutes, I just felt we froze a bit. The flair players were too easily bullied and got caught in the headlights"

So, flair players?  Eliasson?  Massengo?  Paterson?

Kalas, Baker, Williams & Dasilva as a (slightly lopsided) back 4 or back 3 with Dasilva left side midfield with Eliasson on opposite flank?  Leaving Massengo, Henriksen & Paterson in midfield (more advanced?), Weimann together with or off Wells up front. 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 or 5-3-2, who knows.

Smith obviously a big miss in midfield, lots of responsibility on the shoulders of 18yr old Massengo, but there should be enough experience on the pitch in the more 'savvy' players to 'self coach' and work things out if not going well.  Unless the coach tells them otherwise - stick to my plan and if i need to, i'll change it.  More a case of 'do as i say'.....

If someone had offered 1-0 away to Leeds, how many would've taken it before the game?  Sounds like the manner of the performance (again) and the stats don't make pretty reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Because I disagree with certain posts you consider me a ‘sad troll’...........:rofl2br:

Aren’t forum designed to discuss/question others opinions?..........:dunno:

Maybe it’s you that’s ‘incredibly stupid’ if you don’t understand that.

I'm afraid your response might be the dumbest thing I've read on here. If you are trolling then it's comedy gold!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Look at this way Bob.    Your boss works with you all week and explains exactly the way in which they want you to work  - and then you don’t do it the way you were told - is that your fault or is it your bosses fault?

If the boss has specifically picked every employee over a four year period, and then also specifically picked the 11 people to carry out his instructions on the day (presumably the ones who he thinks will carry out his instructions most effectively) then I would say primarily his, personally.

Either he has picked wrong people to do the job, or given the right people the wrong instructions that they can't carry out. I suppose the employees could just be completely incapable of doing so - but we know that's not true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Great film. What specifically do you mean?

Might watch it tomorrow now you've reminded me!

One player ***** up, entire squad gets reprimanded. Basketball flick. Biographic, based on the real deal on an incident from back in 1999 when he taught at Richmond High School, where a couple players were failing high school on grades. They were undefeated and he forfeited games until they got their grades up to a sufficient level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Carter

Edited by Fuber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Meh said:

Oh god- I take it that is this weeks excuse?

As opposed to starting weak tacklers in midfield positions and a centre back at right back and handing the advantage to the opposition from the start which would fall on the coaching team.

Interesting !!

Did our coach turn up at Elland road Not the long thing With 10 wheels but LJ. ????😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson told BBC Radio Bristol:

"I was disappointed in the first 25-30 minutes, I just felt we froze a bit. The flair players were too easily bullied and got caught in the headlights"

So, flair players?  Eliasson?  Massengo?  Paterson?

Kalas, Baker, Williams & Dasilva as a (slightly lopsided) back 4 or back 3 with Dasilva left side midfield with Eliasson on opposite flank?  Leaving Massengo, Henriksen & Paterson in midfield (more advanced?), Weimann together with or off Wells up front. 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 or 5-3-2, who knows.

Smith obviously a big miss in midfield, lots of responsibility on the shoulders of 18yr old Massengo, but there should be enough experience on the pitch in the more 'savvy' players to 'self coach' and work things out if not going well.  Unless the coach tells them otherwise - stick to my plan and if i need to, i'll change it.  More a case of 'do as i say'.....

If someone had offered 1-0 away to Leeds, how many would've taken it before the game?  Sounds like the manner of the performance (again) and the stats don't make pretty reading.

I think most of us would have excepted the loss if the majority of City players  that started at Elland road had the chance to play in their correct positions , played with passion, played with commitment as they are part of the best squad in this league but they played like a mid league 1 club for the majority of the first half. Even the poorer performers yesterday we all know they have quality if they have the chance to express it on the field. Something is not quite correct at the club for some reason and I do not think LJ is 100% of the reason but does seem a factor as one week it clicks and the next it turns poor. There was a famous saying in a movie and I can not remember which movie “life’s like a box of mixed chocolates and you never know which one you get” Just like City at the moment as consistency is all over the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lew-T said:

In fairness it wasn’t as bad as I thought after hearing it a second time.

But he said along the lines that 6 or 7 players came out second half and showed guts. Then at the end he said a couple of them didn’t believe in themselves enough.

Just don’t think it’s necessary.

Why? The alternative is the robots we get giving zero insight 

nothing wrong with what he’s said in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

It's simple, he's a decent manager, not a top coach at this level.

I will play the game.... i genuinely don’t know this but what other coach has made more money on players in last 4 seasons outside the prem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, City oz said:

I think most of us would have excepted the loss if the majority of City players  that started at Elland road had the chance to play in their correct positions , played with passion, played with commitment as they are part of the best squad in this league but they played like a mid league 1 club for the majority of the first half. Even the poorer performers yesterday we all know they have quality if they have the chance to express it on the field. Something is not quite correct at the club for some reason and I do not think LJ is 100% of the reason but does seem a factor as one week it clicks and the next it turns poor. There was a famous saying in a movie and I can not remember which movie “life’s like a box of mixed chocolates and you never know which one you get” Just like City at the moment as consistency is all over the place.

Forrest Gump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have or ever plan to visit Bali there is a restaurant in Kuta called the shrimp. It has the forest gump movie playing continuously on several screens. The restaurant is full of the forest gump memorabilia . If you order the cocktail of the day all the waiters come up to the table and sing the forest gump sound track . It’s also a good stop over from the UK to OZ . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Forrest Gump

Bubba Gump if you google it. Try it on your way over to OZ and ill buy you a beer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...