IGNORED

Being honest...

PFree

1 hour ago, PFree said:

For me, a fair league position right now would be mid-table at best, we have some good individual players but in reality aren't a great side overall. In the same way the Premier league is three 'mini leagues', given our resources and lack of parachute payments, we are a middle tire side and therefore over performing.

I'm no fan of LJ as I don't believe he has the ability or knowledge tacticly to take us any further. I do however feel for him though given every time we have a decent player, they get sold on.

i sincerely hope I am wrong and that LJ takes us up (albeit we'll pretty much need a new team to stay and SL has already made it clear he would not spend given that eventuality).

We got beat by a much better team today but let's try and find the positives, we are lucky to be where we are and are over performing, in with a chance of the end of season mix up is good news - no other team seems to want it after all ?

Glad this thread has come up really. No matter how much I love this club. We’re nowhere near good enough to go up . If by some miracle we did , we’d end up with the lowest ever points tally and with boring football. Look at Norwich, they’ll come straight back down but at least they’ve entertained. We’d stink the place out. 

I love it on OTIB, if we are bottom of the table “the table doesn’t lie” yet if we are near the top it’s not the “fair position” 

This league is crazy, you only have to look at Fulham’s result today. We are in 7th because of the amount of points we have, like it or not.

I'd be happy with mid table or even seventh if it mean't we played football that is enjoyable to watch. At the moment watching us play at home is so depressing. We definitely have the quality but we play such negative football, e.g. show signs of attacking, then stop, turn and pass it backwards and we're so slow to play it out from the keeper. I can't see us making the play-offs (not saying I don't want us to get there), so I'd be happy with of the season ended now. Our season just feels like such a slog.

8 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I'd be happy with mid table or even seventh if it mean't we played football that is enjoyable to watch. At the moment watching us play at home is so depressing. We definitely have the quality but we play such negative football, e.g. show signs of attacking, then stop, turn and pass it backwards and we're so slow to play it out from the keeper. I can't see us making the play-offs (not saying I don't want us to get there), so I'd be happy with of the season ended now. Our season just feels like such a slog.

That's easy to say, but is it the truth - loads of people like to give out that they'd be happy for mid-table if it meant entertaining football but am I the only one that remembers the total meltdown that occurred when we drew 5-5 against Hull. It doesn't get anymore entertaining than that, yet it sparked mutiny from many. How did you react after that game, out of interest? 

As for the entertainment this season, is it really that bad? Goals for and against tell a different story. We've had some dismal duds, sure, but is it really that bad that people would rather see us mid-table as opposed to seventh (and still within touching distance of the pack) so long as 'it was more entertaining'. Are we just spoiled by saturation coverage of the mega-clubs like Liverpool, Man City, Barca etc? 

This isn't criticism of your post btw, genuine questions. 

1 minute ago, poland_exile said:

That's easy to say, but is it the truth - loads of people like to give out that they'd be happy for mid-table if it meant entertaining football but am I the only one that remembers the total meltdown that occurred when we drew 5-5 against Hull. It doesn't get anymore entertaining than that, yet it sparked mutiny from many. How did you react after that game, out of interest? 

As for the entertainment this season, is it really that bad? Goals for and against tell a different story. We've had some dismal duds, sure, but is it really that bad that people would rather see us mid-table as opposed to seventh (and still within touching distance of the pack) so long as 'it was more entertaining'. Are we just spoiled by saturation coverage of the mega-clubs like Liverpool, Man City, Barca etc? 

Pretty sure I was furious....but I quite like a boring, attritional 1-0.

59 minutes ago, PolskRed said:

I love it on OTIB, if we are bottom of the table “the table doesn’t lie” yet if we are near the top it’s not the “fair position” 

This league is crazy, you only have to look at Fulham’s result today. We are in 7th because of the amount of points we have, like it or not.

The table never tells the 'truth' until the season is over,before then it lies on a weekly basis.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Glad this thread has come up really. No matter how much I love this club. We’re nowhere near good enough to go up . If by some miracle we did , we’d end up with the lowest ever points tally and with boring football. Look at Norwich, they’ll come straight back down but at least they’ve entertained. We’d stink the place out. 

That's a ridiculous thing to say. I don't think we'll get promoted but if we did, you have no idea who we would sign. We could have half a different team by next season

20 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

That's ok, didn't take your post as criticism. For me, scoring goals alone doesn't equal entertainment (although that is a huge part of it). I really miss the quick, confident passing and attacking style of football over the years that we can play, where we haven't stopped and played it back so often. We also seem to have gotten in to a habit recently where we are playing the ball out of defence but no one further up the pitch seems to want it or doesn't to find space/options to be passed to (which often results in us passing it backwards). It's like our players are watching the game rather than taking part in it - crying out for someone to take charge so often. I'm not saying I dislike Johnson's overall football, because he's shown us so often that we do and can play more flowing, faster football but our style these days just seems to have changed and his tactics seem to be more slow like a game of chess waiting to see who will blink first.  I find it difficult to explain when we seem like the away side at home.

As I said we definately have the quality but it's almost like we're playing a style of football that doesn't quite suit our players. It's tough to watch.

If you include the 3 loanees, we are probably 2 players away from being a top notch Championship side. 

Gulp. That makes 5 signings in the Summer! Half a team. 

Just then need someone who can organise them. 

Four years, seven/eight windows in... not that brilliant.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards.

12 hours ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

That's a ridiculous thing to say. I don't think we'll get promoted but if we did, you have no idea who we would sign. We could have half a different team by next season

I’m talking more about the managers style of football more than any individual player 

19 hours ago, PFree said:

For me, a fair league position right now would be mid-table at best, we have some good individual players but in reality aren't a great side overall. In the same way the Premier league is three 'mini leagues', given our resources and lack of parachute payments, we are a middle tire side and therefore over performing.

I'm no fan of LJ as I don't believe he has the ability or knowledge tacticly to take us any further. I do however feel for him though given every time we have a decent player, they get sold on.

i sincerely hope I am wrong and that LJ takes us up (albeit we'll pretty much need a new team to stay and SL has already made it clear he would not spend given that eventuality).

We got beat by a much better team today but let's try and find the positives, we are lucky to be where we are and are over performing, in with a chance of the end of season mix up is good news - no other team seems to want it after all ?

Why is our position unfair?  We are the 7th best team in this league. Have we got there through lots of refereeing decisions or luck with injuries? No.  7th is fully deserved. Any other positions you think unfair or just ours?!

17 hours ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

You have to have a base , and a plan to work from 

We don’t have one at the moment , before you even consider how far off we are and the leap required

Bloodbath  

20 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I think it would be hard for anyone to claim that the Derby game was boring football. 

I don't think anyone claimed the Derby game was boring, quite the opposite.

An exception to the rule though - far too many City performances at AG lack sufficient entertainment and excitement.

Noticeable that fans on Ashton Road after the Derby game were chatting loudly and excitedly about the match, in direct contrast to the majority of more tedious home games where they stream out of the Gate subdued and with an air of disappointment.

49 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't think anyone claimed the Derby game was boring, quite the opposite.

An exception to the rule though - far too many City performances at AG lack sufficient entertainment and excitement.

Noticeable that fans on Ashton Road after the Derby game were chatting loudly and excitedly about the match, in direct contrast to the majority of more tedious home games where they stream out of the Gate subdued and with an air of disappointment.

We were very entertaining in league 1 perhaps we’re better off there ? 

On 15/02/2020 at 18:34, LondonBristolian said:

Of course. But my hope is we'd do what Burnley did, and use an unexpected promotion to grow the club, even accepting the possibility of coming straight back down and using those resources to build a team in a stronger position. If we fluked our way up and played our cards right, it could make us one of the strongest teams in the division in two years time and be a step towards becoming an established premier league side...

I thought Cardiff in summer 2018 were looking to do that- certainly signed quite a few players which would improve them back at this level significantly on 2017/18, and indeed some this season, and who knows some may have stepped up to the PL in due course- didn't quite pan out that way though- no guarantees!

I think LJ needs to bite the bullet tactically as well and find a way to get more out of these clearly better players that we are signing, if we are to have a crack at being one of the strongest in the division- injuries have not necessarily helped us this season though!

Archived