IGNORED

RIP Caroline Flack

CyderInACan

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

If she was mentally ill then it wasn’t really of her own doing.

And being hounded by the press would not have helped her mental state.

The press absolutely has blood on its hands here.

Not really a matter of "if" was it. All very sad.

Blame the press, blame social media  blame whoever you want.

Reality is, unless people didn't buy the newspapers and magazines she was featured in, be it positive or negative coverage them the media would take no interest in her. They want to sell advertising and papers, those who are berating the press are their customers.

Give it a few weeks and there will be a new media 'darling' for the press to build up and them knock down again. And the people moaning now will be the same ones clicking on links, buying papers and having an opinion.

End of the day, someone with problems has died - as indeed happens (sadly) across the country, but the consumers of the media she generated have the same guilt on their hands as those who penned the story.

34 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Blame the press, blame social media  blame whoever you want.

Reality is, unless people didn't buy the newspapers and magazines she was featured in, be it positive or negative coverage them the media would take no interest in her. They want to sell advertising and papers, those who are berating the press are their customers.

Give it a few weeks and there will be a new media 'darling' for the press to build up and them knock down again. And the people moaning now will be the same ones clicking on links, buying papers and having an opinion.

End of the day, someone with problems has died - as indeed happens (sadly) across the country, but the consumers of the media she generated have the same guilt on their hands as those who penned the story.

Yes, it seems (at the risk of sounding old fart-ish, which I am ) nowadays "celebs" are famous for being famous, not having any tangible REAL talent, just good looks and honed body .

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, it seems (at the risk of sounding old fart-ish, which I am ) nowadays "celebs" are famous for being famous, not having any tangible REAL talent, just good looks and honed body .

Old age is fogging your memory slarti,back in the 70s 80s celebs were still famous without any real talent 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Well, at least I knew who most of them were, and what they did  .

And without social media, I can’t recall the type of ‘celebrity’ we seem to have now, who many have never heard of, but then I don’t watch much TV and don’t engage on SM apart from my interests.

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That’s a age thing tho mate,you ask someone a question who was famous in the 70s 80s and Jimmy Savile would be a answer because he was a DJ now the kids would say Mark Wright (no me neither)

I'm sure you're right, but at least most of them DID something (talented or not).......not just teeth and tits .

35 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Caroline was a great presenter and was in the west end in shows like Chicago. She also won Strictly. So it's not untalented. 

25 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That’s a age thing tho mate,you ask someone a question who was famous in the 70s 80s and Jimmy Savile would be a answer because he was a DJ now the kids would say Mark Wright (no me neither)

Scored against Egypt, if I recall correctly, in Italia 90. 

Firstly it’s very sad that she has died because she obviously had mental health issues that she wasn’t being helped with. 

However, her boyfriend rang 999 and said she had assaulted him, the police arrived and her bedroom had blood everywhere (there are pictures) which was mostly her blood from where she had smashed a glass and cut herself, but also his blood from where she had hit him with a lamp. The law was changed so that even if “victims” decided they no longer wanted to press charges (in the context of a domestic relationship) that the CPS could look at the evidence and weigh up if there was enough evidence to press charges. They had obviously decided that there was in this case, hence why she was due to go on trial in a few weeks. It matters not one bit that the boyfriend didn’t want to have her charged. The reason the judge had asked them not to contact each other was likely to do with the fact he saw her boyfriend as a domestic abuse victim who wasn’t yet at the stage of realising what was being done to him wasn’t ok.

Violence against anyone isn’t ok, but it seems that violence by women against men is still minimised, and that just because she was famous and “lost it once” that it makes what she did ok.

The press absolutely should have handled themselves better, I don’t think they ever will because it’s how they make money, but that doesn’t negate from the fact that she was up on an assault charge because of her own behaviour. We’ll sadly never now know the full facts of what happened that night, but surely anyone will agree that hitting your partner (as her partner told the police) isn’t ok, regardless of fame or gender. 

13 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He cheated on her,she got angry and lamped him,boyfriend cried to the police about it,the press hounded her,boyfriend wasn’t living the high life after and wanted to get back with her, that’s the story

And that’s the media’s version of events, case in point.

42 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

?

In response to you emoji (!), I want to be clear that she obviously had problems and no contact means no contact, so why did he ‘push her buttons’ and put a Valentines Greeting, after all it’s about love, out there? OK he almost certainly didn’t know what she would go on to do, but he also has to live with that now.

14 hours ago, RedM said:

From my daughter, as I dont know her either. She started off on kids tv, moved on to winning strictly and presenting stuff like X factor. Was more recently presenter on Love Island but was replaced after being accused on assulting her boyfriend, trial due next month. It was ordered that she and her boyfriend should have no contact with eachother, but apparantly he wished her a Happy Valentines Day on social media yesterday.

If this is true, what a ****

So he wished her a happy valentines day does that really make him a ****? The guy has done nothing wrong from what i can see.

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Firstly it’s very sad that she has died because she obviously had mental health issues that she wasn’t being helped with. 

However, her boyfriend rang 999 and said she had assaulted him, the police arrived and her bedroom had blood everywhere (there are pictures) which was mostly her blood from where she had smashed a glass and cut herself, but also his blood from where she had hit him with a lamp. The law was changed so that even if “victims” decided they no longer wanted to press charges (in the context of a domestic relationship) that the CPS could look at the evidence and weigh up if there was enough evidence to press charges. They had obviously decided that there was in this case, hence why she was due to go on trial in a few weeks. It matters not one bit that the boyfriend didn’t want to have her charged. The reason the judge had asked them not to contact each other was likely to do with the fact he saw her boyfriend as a domestic abuse victim who wasn’t yet at the stage of realising what was being done to him wasn’t ok.

Violence against anyone isn’t ok, but it seems that violence by women against men is still minimised, and that just because she was famous and “lost it once” that it makes what she did ok.

The press absolutely should have handled themselves better, I don’t think they ever will because it’s how they make money, but that doesn’t negate from the fact that she was up on an assault charge because of her own behaviour. We’ll sadly never now know the full facts of what happened that night, but surely anyone will agree that hitting your partner (as her partner told the police) isn’t ok, regardless of fame or gender. 

I agree with most of that, like you say, we’ll never know. Both parties were saying that the story the CPS and media were using wasn’t factual.

also the photos the press used were fake and should not be used regardless.

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

If a male celebrity was standing trial for attempted murder and killed himself pre trial would he get lots of sympathy?

She wasn’t standing trial for attempted murder.

It’s possible to believe more than one thing is true at the same time. We can deplore a violent act while simultaneously having sympathy for the person who has mental health issues. We can support a victim while also feeling for somebody hounded to death by the press.

Not everything is 100% black and white.

15 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Is that the same Sun who were ripping her to shreds not only a few weeks ago -  vile paper I wouldn't even wipe my arse with it (the same goes for Twitter)

Good luck trying to wipe yer arse with twitter. I’d like to see that (not really) !

3 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

She wasn’t standing trial for attempted murder.

It’s possible to believe more than one thing is true at the same time. We can deplore a violent act while simultaneously having sympathy for the person who has mental health issues. We can support a victim while also feeling for somebody hounded to death by the press.

Not everything is 100% black and white.

Completely agree we can do that. I’m asking if this was a man what would the reaction be?

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Completely agree we can do that. I’m asking if this was a man what would the reaction be?

Why does this have to turn into a male v female debate? There are plenty of examples of wife beaters who are completely forgiven or at least it’s been forgotten: Geoff Boycott, Jim Davidson,  Sean Penn and Charlie Sheen to name a few off the top of my head. 

Can you think of any examples that are in any way similar to this case, where the mans suicide didn’t receive sympathy?

There’s been an awful lot of crocodile tears shed since this broke yesterday, the same people quick to blame the media were the same people taking an interest in the story and were on twitter calling for her to be jailed.

I don’t buy people saying the media have blood on their hands as the story had actually gone quiet and life had moved on. There’s a lot of hypocrites on social media at the moment all trying to make themselves feel better for the part they played and some not just the tabloids should be taking a long hard look at themselves and their actions 

9 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Why does this have to turn into a male v female debate? There are plenty of examples of wife beaters who are completely forgiven or at least it’s been forgotten: Geoff Boycott, Jim Davidson,  Sean Penn and Charlie Sheen to name a few off the top of my head. 

Can you think of any examples that are in any way similar to this case, where the mans suicide didn’t receive sympathy?

It doesn’t have turn into a male v female debate. It’s a simple question put on a forum.  

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

It doesn’t have turn into a male v female debate. It’s a simple question put on a forum.  

Well when you phrase it as “but what if it was a man” then it instantly becomes a male v female debate.

Again, can you think of any similar cases where a dead man received less sympathy than Flack has?

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

No idea. That’s why I asked the question!

And that’s why I mentioned male celebs who have been forgiven/forgotten and asked if there were any similar examples to this case.

With no cases that are remotely similar, it’s pretty hard to answer your question. I guess it’ll depend on the circumstances of the assault and how popular the male celeb was. Some male celebs would get sympathy, some would be written up as the antichrist.

4 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

And that’s why I mentioned male celebs who have been forgiven/forgotten and asked if there were any similar examples to this case.

With no cases that are remotely similar, it’s pretty hard to answer your question. I guess it’ll depend on the circumstances of the assault and how popular the male celeb was. Some male celebs would get sympathy, some would be written up as the antichrist.

Maybe. You are probably correct.

Another question. Do people like Piers Morgan and Dan Wooton send their crocodile tear tweets with or without a sense of irony?! 

Archived