Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Hampshire reds

luke Ayling.

how was that not a pen .luke Ayling  dived at the ball. officials have to be brave at places like elland road. he took the easy way out and not give it. its poor. it could have changed the game. 

That's football for you. Would rather have the odd decision go against us than live in a VAR world. All evens itself out in the end and human error does more than play its part in the natural excitement of the sport. 

And let's be totally honest, if there's one game we didn't deserve something, this was it. 

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

That's football for you. Would rather have the odd decision go against us than live in a VAR world. All evens itself out in the end and human error does more than play its part in the natural excitement of the sport. 

And let's be totally honest, if there's one game we didn't deserve something, this was it. 

Agree with that. VAR has taken all the excitement out of football. To FIFAs credit, they did cite that as the main reason not to bring it in in the first place

30 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Agree with that. VAR has taken all the excitement out of football. To FIFAs credit, they did cite that as the main reason not to bring it in in the first place

....then when Samsung (or whoever supplies VAR) posted the gents at FIFA a fat envelope of cash, they weighed up the pros and cons and decided it would benefit the beautiful game....

31 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Pity L A wasn't up to our standards, he could have been a handy player for us. :facepalm:

there are a few more playing for some welsh outfit who are right up our backsides but not quite right for us as well. oh and if you add in a couple at Fulham and a few elsewhere, reckon we could storm this div; oh the manager could be a problem though.

• Like 4
  • Rovers 4

3 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

there are a few more playing for some welsh outfit who are right up our backsides but not quite right for us as well. oh and if you add in a couple at Fulham and a few elsewhere, reckon we could storm this div; oh the manager could be a problem though.

:clap:

22 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

I guess you mean flint, tomlin and pack, who at the time nobody was too bothered about losing. 

Bryan and Reid went to get Premier league football, so no idea why you’re bringing them up...

• Like 13

53 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

You can’t be seriously suggesting flint is better than the defenders we have had since his departure (wright probably)

• Like 2

Tomlin I wouldn't want back if he came for free. Flint would be about 5th choice central,defender. And wasn't Pack the pantomime villain on here for most of last season, and the general consensus back when he left was that we'd upgraded hugely this season. 

• Like 4

Wasn’t just the penalty. Leeds made numerous ‘tactical’ fouls all game. 
Whilst we didn’t get many opportunities to attack, every time we did finally get a semblance of a break and we had someone go past a Leeds player, he was brought down. 
Every time. 
Ref only booked 1 of their players for this. There were about 10 similar fouls that halted any attack we made. 
Clever by Leeds. Poor by the ref. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Lots of people on the match day thread voiced hatred towards Ayling but nobody gave a reason why. Any ideas?

Can't speak for others but the way he dived around, time wasted and continually bitched to the referee over every single tackle when we played Leeds at the Gate made me think he is now a complete tosser. I just don't remember him being like that when he played for us, I was gutted when he left but he's a true Leeds style player now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Umm... kissing the badge like that for your goal celebration against the club that helped hou on your way? Totally inappropriate. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Whilst we didn’t get many opportunities to attack, every time we did finally get a semblance of a break and we had someone go past a Leeds player, he was brought down. 
Every time. 
Ref only booked 1 of their players for this. There were about 10 similar fouls that halted any attack we made. 

Kind of reminds me of playing against Warnock sides. Just keep kicking us meaning we can't get any rhythm and their players can get back in position. Frustrating to watch.

Obviously on the ball they're amazing and nothing like a Warnock side! But without the ball very clever in their constant fouling.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Umm... kissing the badge like that for your goal celebration against the club that helped hou on your way? Totally inappropriate. 

Unless he feels he was treated badly by Johnson. We don't know the full story of Cheltenham. I do prefer to remain neutral as a result. 

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Unless he feels he was treated badly by Johnson. We don't know the full story of Cheltenham. I do prefer to remain neutral as a result. 

We only "know" what the club tells us, (which could be to silence the natives/calm the waters)....Fams "ill" others are "injured" others "dont want to be/play here"  etc

• Hmmm 1
  • Aubergine 1
  • Hedgehog 1
  • Snake 1

6 hours ago, Harry said:

Every time. 

Yeh agreed but if we played football and not looked like a load of lost sheep it wouldn’t have mattered how dirty Leeds played.

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Yeh agreed but if we played football and not looked like a load of lost sheep it wouldn’t have mattered how dirty Leeds played.

Well, I disagree with that to be honest. 
To beat teams like Leeds you need to get past their high press. If you do, you can build attacks and start to play football in their final third. 
Every time we did beat their press, they committed a foul and halted our attack immediately. 

As said, it’s clever, but it’s cynical. It stopped us getting any kind of hold on the game and any kind of sustained possession in their half. 

Were we generally crap with the ball? Yes, of course we were. But the few times we did manage to get something moving, they stopped it with a foul. And only 1 yellow card. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well, I disagree with that to be honest. 
To beat teams like Leeds you need to get past their high press. If you do, you can build attacks and start to play football in their final third. 
Every time we did beat their press, they committed a foul and halted our attack immediately. 

As said, it’s clever, but it’s cynical. It stopped us getting any kind of hold on the game and any kind of sustained possession in their half. 

Were we generally crap with the ball? Yes, of course we were. But the few times we did manage to get something moving, they stopped it with a foul. And only 1 yellow card. 

And if by the off chance we do get promoted who is going to turn the City players to be the dominators and not the frightened by teams that try and intimidate us. 

‘PLAY FOOTBALL IN THEIR FINAL THIRD” what a joke we need to play the full 90 minutes if we are going to achieve prem football at the gate 

8 hours ago, mozo said:

I love stuff like that!  Adebayor celebration v Arsenal is the best ever 

Edited by RedDave
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mozo said:

What does that say?

Maybe he didn’t like the way he was shoved out at City for a basement price.

Everytime (before today) he’s clapped the City fans when we’ve played home and away (I’ve seen it with my own eyes), maybe he’s just had enough of you nowadays.

He does buy fouls at RB, he blocks the ball waits for the smallest of touches and falls on the ball. Surely if the opposition had any intelligence about them they would ensure they stay 1 yard away and not give him the opportunity.

He did this the very moment he came here so must have done it for you too.

It would infuriate me as an opposition fan however I’d also be angry at my own side for getting too close and giving him the opportunity and not learning during the game.

He’s turned into a very decent RB, prone to the old stupid losing of the ball but overall what a bargain 👍

You talk about fouls and advantage, it works both ways. Phillips, Dallas and Costa were fouled a fair amount and the ref played advantage, but never came back to issue a card.

I hate it when fans think just because someone played for them they should not give it ALL for their new team. He should “check” his emotions when scoring a vital promotion chasing goal, should he ****.

Let the lad enjoy playing for a club that wants and appreciates him, coaches and fans.

He’s been our player for years now, let go.

Maybe he’s kissing his way to the Premier League.

Edited by SPAZZA
  • Like 2
  • Aubergine 1

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Every time. 

Absolutely this. I was going mad during the game counting out the number of times a City player was pulled back and screaming at the ref to get a card out. You could see it every time we ever looked like breaking. It wasn't ever going to stop unless the ref did something about it. He wasn't a poor ref or in any way inconsistent or one-sided, he was just utterly soft and gamed by Leeds all day long. Last season Brownhill got sent off at Elland Road for a booking from a tactical foul. So if the ref has balls it does get punished.

In recent seasons we've got excited about City supposedly learning the dark arts, but we're not even close. Leeds are the masters. How these same players that employed tactical fouls for 60 minutes, could then get away with WINNING tactical fouls (read: flinging themselves to the ground - as stated above, they even name this after Luke Ayling), just shows how poorly managed the game was by the ref. I found the whole thing emotionally exhausting watching them play him all day long, you knew they'd get away with it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

What does that say?

Everytime (before today) he’s clapped the City fans when we’ve played home and away (I’ve seen it with my own eyes), maybe he’s just had enough of you nowadays.

He does buy fouls at RB, he blocks the ball waits for the smallest of touches and falls on the ball. Surely if the opposition had any intelligence about them they would ensure they stay 1 yard away and not give him the opportunity.

It would infuriate me as an opposition fan however I’d also be angry at my own side for getting too close and giving him the opportunity and not learning during the game.

He’s turned into a very decent RB, prone to the old stupid losing of the ball but overall what a bargain 👍

You talk about fouls and advantage, it works both ways. Phillips, Dallas and Costa were fouled a fair amount and the ref played advantage, but never came back to issue a card.

I hate it when fans think just because someone played for them they should not give it ALL for their new team. He should “check” his emotions when scoring a vital promotion chasing goal, should he ****.

Let the lad enjoy playing for a club that wants and appreciates him, coaches and fans.

I'm always of a mindset that you don't celebrate against former clubs, but if you do then find an exaggerated kissing the badge is a bit much. I'm not upset about it, just not what I would do.

He was definitely a bargain and he's jokmed a big club so no idea why he would harbour resentment given how things have transpired. 

That was a very well deserved win yesterday, and had we nicked an equaliser, say from the Wells chance, it would have been really unfair.

I think this is your season, finally, unless Brentford or Forest go on a mental streak.

You would need to strengthen considerably to survive the Prem though. You can't be as wasteful up front, and need to be tighter at the back. 

1 minute ago, Olé said:

Absolutely this. I was going mad during the game counting out the number of times a City player was pulled back and screaming at the ref to get a card out. You could see it every time we ever looked like breaking. It wasn't ever going to stop unless the ref did something about it. He wasn't a poor ref or in any way inconsistent or one-sided, he was just utterly soft and gamed by Leeds all day long. Last season Brownhill got sent off at Elland Road for a booking from a tactical foul. So if the ref has balls it does get punished.

In recent seasons we've got excited about City supposedly learning the dark arts, but we're not even close. Leeds are the masters. How these same players that employed tactical fouls for 60 minutes, could then get away with WINNING tactical fouls (read: flinging themselves to the ground - as stated above, they even name this after Luke Ayling), just shows how poorly managed the game was by the ref. I found the whole thing emotionally exhausting watching them play him all day long, you knew they'd get away with it.

It was those tactics they used in diving or fouling that made it so hard for us. The refereeing standards are getting worse in this division. The game I saw earlier in day - WBA v Forest was just mistake after mistake from the ref.

The ref in our game was shocking too in letting Leeds do whatever they wanted. Clear pen too.

22 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

He hasn’t turned into one mate. He always was one, just sadly someone who wasn’t appreciated by Johnson and was let go for less than a quarter of his market value (see Freeman). 

Im pleased he’s doing well. Always thought he was harshly treated and always said he’d go onto bigger things than Bristol City. Sadly, I was right. 

As for kissing the badge, why on earth wouldn’t he?

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, Olé said:

We are so bad at tactical fouls. The second goal derby scored against us a great example. Three of our midfield could have taken a yellow..... instead they just let him waltz through. So frustrating.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Every time. 

Exactly this. Their high press game relies on them getting numbers forward fast. It's not always precise, accurate, and it's a kind of percentage football that requires bodies in and around the box and the likelihood that something will eventually fall through one of them. As it did for their goal. 

Bit of course the risk that goes with that is getting caught on the break, and the tactic of stopping that by any means, shirt pulling, tripping, preferably while still in the Leeds half to reduce the risk of a booking, seems like a fundamental part of their game. 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Listening to the match on Talksport it was interesting that when there was an injury and an impromptu team talk , Luke came over and stood amongst the city players. Apparently Lee pushed him away and Luke went off with a smile/smirk on his face.

5 minutes ago, ITK..... said:

We are so bad at tactical fouls. The second goal derby scored against us a great example. Three of our midfield could have taken a yellow..... instead they just let him waltz through. So frustrating.

I have often wondered whether LJ instructs our players to be very careful of not picking up bookings because of then risk of second booking.

But i think on average taking one for the team every now and then has more benefits than not doing so.

5 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Listening to the match on Talksport it was interesting that when there was an injury and an impromptu team talk , Luke came over and stood amongst the city players. Apparently Lee pushed him away and Luke went off with a smile/smirk on his face.

I'd feel that was less likely anything to do with history, and more to do with LJ not wanting an opponent to be in on our tactical talk.

We know Leeds like to do that of course, but it's hardly sinister that we want to stop it? 

So what if he celebrated his goal. Annoys me when players dont against former clubs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Exactly this. Their high press game relies on them getting numbers forward fast. It's not always precise, accurate, and it's a kind of percentage football that requires bodies in and around the box and the likelihood that something will eventually fall through one of them. As it did for their goal. 

Bit of course the risk that goes with that is getting caught on the break, and the tactic of stopping that by any means, shirt pulling, tripping, preferably while still in the Leeds half to reduce the risk of a booking, seems like a fundamental part of their game. 

Yep. Very similar to Guardiola tactics in fouling highest up the pitch as possible when losing possession. But doing so in a way that they won't get booked. I actually think the way they foul is such an important part of not being caught on the break, that a lot of work probably goes into how to foul and where to foul in their set up and in training.

Its annoying to watch. Refs are just far too weak at this level.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Super said:

So what if he celebrated his goal. Annoys me when players dont against former clubs.

He should have put a City shirt on and run over to the away fans to apologise 😒

On 15/02/2020 at 23:48, mozo said:

To me he clearly looked fired up yesterday 

Can only assume that is because of the way he was treated for his exit. The reason I say that is because it won't be against us fans and the players are different now, so who is left that he may have beef with? 

I thought his Swindon esque celebrations at the full time whistle were uncalled for, leaping around like he'd won the league 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mozo said:

The club got rid of him, most likely because of the off field events that happened. I have nothing against him and being as he is loved by the Leeds fans and supported by them I hold nothing against him. He's moved on, he owes is nothing. 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

I love stuff like that!  Adebayor celebration v Arsenal is the best ever 

He was a part of the promotion team here, a big part, a well liked player. Why the **** does he feel the need to shove it down our throats. Gone down in my estimation.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

He was a part of the promotion team here, a big part, a well liked player. Why the **** does he feel the need to shove it down our throats. Gone down in my estimation.

Haha. 

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

The club got rid of him, most likely because of the off field events that happened. I have nothing against him and being as he is loved by the Leeds fans and supported by them I hold nothing against him. He's moved on, he owes is nothing. 

A bit like Cunningham. Now that is one player i loathe! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Kisses the badge of the club he plays for after scoring. How dare he! 🤣

Of course he can do what he likes, just as we can when we can him a manual manipulator (slide trombonist)

Edited by AppyDAZE

1 hour ago, SPAZZA said:

What does that say?

Everytime (before today) he’s clapped the City fans when we’ve played home and away n it (I’ve seen it with my own eyes), maybe he’s just had enough of you nowadays.

It's difficult to see it with anyone elses eyes!!!

:innocent06:

Edited by Redtucks

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

It was those tactics they used in diving or fouling that made it so hard for us. The refereeing standards are getting worse in this division. The game I saw earlier in day - WBA v Forest was just mistake after mistake from the ref.

The ref in our game was shocking too in letting Leeds do whatever they wanted. Clear pen too.

Agreed JD. However we need to be more aggressive in our game plan. When we play teams that show some balls and aggression we simply submit. I also watched the highlights WBA v Forest and also Millwall and Fulham earlier in the week. All these four clubs showed commitment to the 90 minutes and for some reason we do not show it. If its poor referee decisions are not we do not play positive or aggressive enough for the majority of 90 minutes to sway a referee in our favour.

we need more balls

10 hours ago, RedDave said:

Lots of people on the match day thread voiced hatred towards Ayling but nobody gave a reason why. Any ideas?

Probably because through his play and commitment he made it absolutely clear that he was 'bust a gut' intent on making a point and scoring against us yesterday and that he did.  Couldn't believe the numpties booing him when he came on the park. Sure as hell showed greater commitment to the cause than the rest of ours combined and whilst I don't like the chest thumping, badge grabbing showmanship that's doubtless because we don't get to see much of it from our mob. 

The quality of his passing and runs were excellent and he is as good as, if not superior to, what we've replaced him with. He may not be the greatest player, but you know he'll put a shift in and is ever reliable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, glos old boy said:

There's always a natural churn of players, I don't know why people don't seem to grasp this. Bryan and Reid would still obviously be first team players for us but moved onto better things, Pack would be useful to have around. I don't think we'd need Flint anymore. Tomlin, although talented, is more trouble than he's worth.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 2