IGNORED

Match Report: City turn up late to their own party

Olé

With City in form and Leeds out of it, the game at a packed Elland Road would be decided by whether confident City came out punching. We'll regret our decision not to. Torn to shreds in a one sided first 20 and lined up in unconventional formation the players were obviously uncomfortable with, Lee Johnson's side folded quickly.

The only surprise is that Leeds, somehow, did not win by more. City's goal survived a charmed life thanks to both man of the match Bentley, the woodwork, and Leeds absence of predatory striking despite the drive of their support players into forward channels. City rallied in the second half but rarely troubled the home keeper.

In fact goalscorer Ayling should have been flagged for a penalty in the second period, whilst he and teammate Dallas regularly curtailed City strikers by tumbling cheaply and awfully to buy free kicks, but despite this soft touch and gamesmanship stalling City's rally, in truth they never got close to the home keeper and deserved nothing.

Played in gale force winds and sporadic driving rain, Leeds were all over makeshift City right from the start. In the first minute Costa got in from the right - as he'd do all day - City twice cutting it out for a corner before Cooper headed just over far post. In minutes Costa again tore past Dasilva, cut in and saw Bentley hold his low cross.

In response City lacked shape or idea and on 7 minutes Paterson skipped away from defenders and won a free kick, but punted the ball into the crowd himself, a reminder that the wind was playing havoc with high balls. On 11 a rapid City break saw Wells turn smartly on halfway and set Weimann in, the striker beaten by the first defender.

It was literally all Leeds, roared on by their bumper crowd, and on quarter of an hour the relentless pressure told. Ayling started and finished the move, driving on into the City box and fashioning a series of shots for which the visitors could not clear their lines, retrieved beyond the far post to be turned back inside for Ayling to lash home.

Everything was coming down City's left as the anonymous Weimann offered Dasilva no support, the full back torched over and over, and his attempt at a quick break was curtailed by a poor pass, a quick ball in by Leeds put Costa clear to force a parry by Bentley, chaos again as Dallas hit the bar and Bamford was offside with the tap in.

City were second to everything and found their long ball response swept away in the wind, but after an utterly one sided start by the Yorkshire hosts, finally the match settled as City started to adjust to Leeds driving channel runs, Dasilva in particular improving, the introduction of O'Dowda for Weimann decisive in delivering an outlet. 

The Irish substitute actually ran at Leeds as well as tracking his opponents off the ball, with a purpose that City had lacked while Weimann floated about. His second run down the left got the ball to the byline and cut it back for Dasilva, whose cross met Paterson drifting in to nod a stooping header easily into the keepers hands.

Lee Johnson's side went in well beaten at the break yet miraculously only one down, and they at least returned after the break with much needed purpose. In just 3 a well worked, typically patient move switched play right, to where Kalas fed Eliasson, his curling cross met Ayling, falling, edge of the box, hand out, pushing the ball away.

The officials, consistent but continously appeasing home fans as Leeds repeatedly pulled back City breaks without any cards, inevitably decided this also wasn't worthy of a penalty for fear of upsetting the large turn out. Frustrating but hardly decisive as the visitors had been worth nothing on the day - Leeds attacks still far more incisive.  

Again the match settled and it wasn't until sickness-hit striker Diedhiou came on for the tricky but ultimately overrun Paterson, that City finally had the target and outlet they needed. And yet it triggered another Leeds swarming, marauding push to seal their win. Speaking to Leeds fans Helder Costa isn't up to it. We made him a star.

Midway through the half Costa again went clear from the right, cut inside and slipped a ball across goal to Bamford to apply the finish. Somehow Bentley was able to claw it away and give his defence time to clear off the line. Minutes later a diagonal Costa run went clean through, rounding Bentley, the keeper somehow recovering to deflect.

By now City were pushed up and had their hosts pinned back, building methodically and yet rarely actually troubling their box. So often the visitors channel runs over the top were met by Leeds defenders - Dallas and Ayling - diving theatrically under any pressure, counting on the ref to stall the visitors forays with the softest of fouls.

Kasey Palmer came on for Eliasson, a fleet footed wing threat for all of 10 second half minutes, and inside 80 minutes City's only chance arrived. It needed just one chance to level things up, Diedhiou dropping and winning a forward ball in a crowd, taking it in stride, releasing Wells off the last man, racing in to flash a shot just over the angle. 

City's moment to steal a smash and grab point - missed. In the 83rd minute Leeds again seemed certain to add to their lead. Dallas played it into Harrison's run and he slammed a first time rising shot onto angle of bar and post, bundled away by Massengo. In injury time Diedhiou lost out  and sub Augustin drilled wide with one to beat.

The play off chasing away side had never looked like earning anything from the day, and despite having settled and fashioned a penalty shout and Wells chance, always looked second best to wave after wave of decisive Leeds break, the hosts conviction and drive shone through, and City would regret letting them dominate the opening.

Bentley 9 Kept City in the game when it seemed improbable - easily a 3-0 or 4-0 without him, man of the match

Kalas 6 He's played right back before but was unconventional and he and Dasilva had no answer for Leeds channel runs

Dasilva 6 Awful for 20 minutes and torn to pieces, adjusted and about our best for the rest including storming runs beyond his markers. But proof we need defence.

Baker 6 Largely dominant in the air but part of a core defence that was tipped to shreds in the opening half hour

Williams 7 Still the best of our defence, he is the last man onto forward balls, yet can push up at the end and retain possession - criminally underrated by supporters

Hendricksen 6 Solid but second to most loose balls and passing off target

Massengo 7 Often out muscled but gets a high score for the energy and desire that he showed - the only one chasing around after Leeds players, touches didn't always come off but always looking to beat people

Eliasson 6 Had a purple patch at the start of the second half where he bamboozled defenders and found crosses (Ayling save ruined the best) but never got going long enough to bring City strikers into play 

Paterson 6 Briefly our best player for the early exchanges as has the nearest touch and poise - but unlike other games totally out muscled before he can figure 

Weimann 4 First thing he did was come off. For half hour he drifted around looking to get set but never defended or attacked

Wells 6 Missed our best chance but more will come, always neater than we have seen when dropping to control the ball - definitely an upgrade 

O'Dowda 7 Been terrible all season but was our best outlet and massive upgrade over Weimann, ran with confidence and got tight when defending, frustration was Leeds defenders just dived to the floor if he touched them - must have Coronavirus

Diedhiou 6 Won several big headers and an outlet we had lacked for an hour, but never got in a position to score and rarely found by Eliasson bar a five minute spell

Palmer 5 Exciting to see him play with Wells and Diedhiou off him but didn't get a chance to run with the ball

I wasn't there but listening on the radio, these marks reflect the impression I had of the game.  Basically, Williams held everything together and if we'd had any other combination at CH, we'd have been mauled.  Those writing Smith off in favour of Henriksen should have a think. We are so much better when both Willams and Smith are playing, even if there are better technical alternatives.

It's called character...

I watched the game on Robins TV and I thought we were very poor. Totally overrun and when we did get the ball we gave it straight back to them. Leeds were in poor form leading up to our game but we gave them the initiative from the start with our formation that left us chasing shadows. How we only lost by one was nothing short of miraculous thanks to Bentley. We looked lost with no plan in the first half and although we were better in the second I couldn't see us scoring. 

Good summary as usual, if somewhat generous ratings.

Virtually all the pre-match comments in the "Team for Leeds" thread warned that we should not set-up with only 2 in CM against Leeds or else we would get overrun and that is exactly what happened. Although we should have had a pen second half, if it had finished 6-1 we could not have complained on the balance of play.

Spot on. 
We were very lucky to be only one down. We kept looking at the clock on the screen and thinking it was only a matter of time.

They came through AW and JD like a knife through butter. And made Ayling look like a world beater.

And talking of dear old Luke. Did you see his face on the banner outside the shop?

Luke Ayling. The face of Leeds United. Christ alive ?

Pretty much agree with a lot of those ratings.

We were poor but Leeds were exceptional. Thought Weimann starting was a mistake. And bringing on Palmer was a mistake. Oh and 442 was a mistake too.

Even Sheffield Wednesday who are typically a 442 side went 4141 and beat them 2-0. 

10 hours ago, Thameswey Red said:

Good report . Regarding Luke Ayling on the Radio Leeds phone in after the match a Leeds fan gleefully reported that in their area of the ground they call falling down cheaply to win a free kick as “being Ayling’d”.

I watched the LUFC stream and the commentators were saying the same. “ That’s what Ayling does”  Anyone goes near him and he goes down!

33 minutes ago, swanker said:

I watched the LUFC stream and the commentators were saying the same. “ That’s what Ayling does”  Anyone goes near him and he goes down!

But surely as a coaching team you have watched the videos before the game and you tell your players to just not touch him, there were so many times that he was in trouble and he was just waiting for the city player to touch him in the back and dutifully they did every bloody time. 

Agree with the ratings in general, but can't agree with Dasilva, he is a full back and his primary job is to defend and at that he was bloody awful all game, Costa is an average player at this level and Jay made him look like bloody Robben, never closing him down yet still allowing enough space inside for midfield runner to walk through. 

We will never improve defensively while we have Dasilva and Hunt as our full backs, every team targets our flanks, because they can expose our full backs if they have anything other than a poor winger at this level. 

13 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

But surely as a coaching team you have watched the videos before the game and you tell your players to just not touch him, there were so many times that he was in trouble and he was just waiting for the city player to touch him in the back and dutifully they did every bloody time. 

Agree with the ratings in general, but can't agree with Dasilva, he is a full back and his primary job is to defend and at that he was bloody awful all game, Costa is an average player at this level and Jay made him look like bloody Robben, never closing him down yet still allowing enough space inside for midfield runner to walk through. 

We will never improve defensively while we have Dasilva and Hunt as our full backs, every team targets our flanks, because they can expose our full backs if they have anything other than a poor winger at this level. 

So you're say De Silva isn't up to the Job. I've heard it all now, why don't you go and watch the Teletubbies or something!

Good summary Ole save as I've written elsewhere we gave Ayling and Dallas every reason to tumble over easily given we, too, pulled them back at every opportunity.

Like the rest of our midfield Massengo wasn't at the races first half, we chased shadows and, combined, failed to put in a single, meaningful challenge. He slightly made up for it second half with some storming runs save he had nobody to whom to lay off the ball.

I've never been a huge fan of Patterson & CoD but thought they showed the brightest of attitudes when given the chance.

Wells hugely disappointing in his lack of hold up.

Agreed Bentley MoM but he again showed that whilst a great shot stopper his lack of authority in the box sometimes is the cause of the attempts he later has to save; the wondersave at the end a case in point. Yesterday he was far better than of late and did come and catch (occasionally punch) a few (they were heavily working on this during the warm up.) For sure without him we'd have shipped half a dozen.

Leeds, as a few other have sussed, worked out when given sod all cover (as with the non-existant Weimann yesterday) DaSilva struggles to cope with the diagonal ball over the top. Not DaSilva's fault as had Weimann been there he could have dropped deeper to cover but when he is such exposed he's made to look defensively inadequate in the process.

Management ratings - well they were again wholly outfoxed and unable to compensate for their failings.

44 minutes ago, marksy said:

So you're say De Silva isn't up to the Job. I've heard it all now, why don't you go and watch the Teletubbies or something!

So he didn't get absolutely schooled by Costa yesterday then? A player even Leeds fans think isn't good enough? Defensively he is poor, he's young so has time to improve, but if you can explain to me how yesterday was acceptable from a defensive point of view then I will happily have a discussion, however judging by your reply you seem to just be a *****. 

2 hours ago, swanker said:

Also watched on Robins TV, the ref was doing my head in, every time we started to get near their box Ayling or another player would just go down and ref would just give ridiculous soft free kicks (Robins TV were making comments about how has the ref given that), any 50/50 was obviously a foul on the leeds player, not saying we could or deserved anything from the game but that pr1ck made it near impossible

I don't know who Chris Dunlavy is, but his report and assessment in the football league paper today is spot on.

All of our defenders got 7 or 8 with either comments being, excellent, superb, terrific, brave, commited.

Further comments

Eliasson 4...did nothing but run down blind alleys and didn't track back with Dallas.

HNM 5... overwhelmed in the centre, quick and energetic, but chasing shadows.

Pato 5...unable to influence the game either as a midfielder or support Striker.

Weimann 4...had just 8 touches before coming off.

Mentions about LJ saying some players went hiding and lacking guts.

The best line for me was...given the prize at stake and Leeds crisis of confidence, it was a surprise to see LJs men concede territory and impetus with what appeared a suicidal strategy of containment.

For me out GK and defenders were terrific. Most of the rest were useless and many went hiding. And LJ chose the wrong formation and some players shouldn't have even been on the pitch.

LJ and some of the players got it wrong.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

I don't know who Chris Dunlavy is, but his report and assessment in the football league paper today is spot on.

All of our defenders got 7 or 8 with either comments being, excellent, superb, terrific, brave, commited.

Further comments

Eliasson 4...did nothing but run down blind alleys and didn't track back with Dallas.

Pato 5...unable to influence the game either as a midfielder or support Striker.

The best line for me was...given the prize at stake and Leeds crisis of confidence, it was a surprise to see LJs men concede territory and impetus with what appeared a suicidal strategy of containment.

For me out GK and defenders were terrific. Most of the rest were useless and many went hiding. And LJ chose the wrong formation and some players shouldn't have even been on the pitch.

I agree with that.

Williams had a very good game as did Baker.

Whilst Dasilva's positioning is suspect (something I think he will get right in time) he had no support at all from senior players who should have seen he had two runners at him all the first half. He did well really.

Midfield ? What midfield ?

I'll excuse 18 year old Massengo as he kept going and didn't hide at all despite having a poor game by his standards, but the others were crap and, as LJ correctly said, gutless.

25 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I agree with that.

Williams had a very good game as did Baker.

Whilst Dasilva's positioning is suspect (something I think he will get right in time) he had no support at all from senior players who should have seen he had two runners at him all the first half. He did well really.

Midfield ? What midfield ?

I'll excuse 18 year old Massengo as he kept going and didn't hide at all despite having a poor game by his standards, but the others were crap and, as LJ correctly said, gutless.

Totally agree...

This is also a damning report...

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/madness-air-and-championship-leeds-united-show-theres-still-gulf-between-them-and-bristol-city-graham-smyths-verdict-1742121?fbclid=IwAR2_4XckMS6Z813CHWvGwnP6yJY-682o7qd59Ah2m2quEPd99_zhS8p0N_M

6 hours ago, spudski said:

Further comments

As a number of posters on here pointed out before the game the crisis was on the whole in the media's mind. 

As you saw yesterday we simply cannot turn possession and shots into enough goals to reflect our dominance. If Wells had scored yesterday it would have been symptomatic of our season. And yet when we turned in a performance that was very similar to yesterday against Cardiff we sailed into a 3-0 lead and still somehow contrived to draw 3-3.

If anyone thinks that we went into yesterday in some sort of siege mode then they're wrong. We just carried on doing what we do because there is no other way under Bielsa.

You probably don't need my 'support' but while you were well beaten yesterday that doesn't mean that you're rubbish. When we're in that mood it doesn't really matter what players and formation is put out against us. But this is the Championship, and you very nearly came a way with a point. One thing you did not do is capitulate.

28 minutes ago, SR1 said:

As a number of posters on here pointed out before the game the crisis was on the whole in the media's mind. 

As you saw yesterday we simply cannot turn possession and shots into enough goals to reflect our dominance. If Wells had scored yesterday it would have been symptomatic of our season. And yet when we turned in a performance that was very similar to yesterday against Cardiff we sailed into a 3-0 lead and still somehow contrived to draw 3-3.

If anyone thinks that we went into yesterday in some sort of siege mode then they're wrong. We just carried on doing what we do because there is no other way under Bielsa.

You probably don't need my 'support' but while you were well beaten yesterday that doesn't mean that you're rubbish. When we're in that mood it doesn't really matter what players and formation is put out against us. But this is the Championship, and you very nearly came a way with a point. One thing you did not do is capitulate.

Totally agree...however most supporters on here, would love to watch that week in week out.

We sit 3 points off third, yet it's probably been one of the most drab seasons to watch.

Most of the frustration on here comes down to the almost anti football being played. It really hasn't been entertaining. It's often hard to watch. 

It's a mental league where anyone can beat anyone.

10 hours ago, swanker said:

Yes, this is what he does. He takes the piss..         

and throws it over the balcony   ..    No, no, no  in fairness, I know it was his mate that did the dirty deed and not him.

There was obvious illness. Weimann wanted to come off and went down the tunnel to throw up, thus LJ ‘deciding’ to take him off was a bit of a misnomer. Diehdou also had the same sickness. Shit happens.

I won’t read to much into this one. However it makes the WBA game quite a prospect. 

5 hours ago, spudski said:

That report really summed up our day.  I mentioned on a different thread it should have been 5 or 6. Better be some scratching of heads by the 3 wise men this week, and I do not want to hear it’s another tough championship game in pre match press conferences.  Not expecting anything against WBA but always hoping. 

19 hours ago, Spud55 said:

So he didn't get absolutely schooled by Costa yesterday then? A player even Leeds fans think isn't good enough? Defensively he is poor, he's young so has time to improve, but if you can explain to me how yesterday was acceptable from a defensive point of view then I will happily have a discussion, however judging by your reply you seem to just be a *****. 

Most fullbacks get schooled by Costa. He can beat a man in his sleep, thats not the issue. The issue is his inability to pick out a white shirt when hes beat his man. 

On 15/02/2020 at 22:43, Olé said:

With City in form and Leeds out of it, the game at a packed Elland Road would be decided by whether confident City came out punching. We'll regret our decision not to. Torn to shreds in a one sided first 20 and lined up in unconventional formation the players were obviously uncomfortable with, Lee Johnson's side folded quickly.

The only surprise is that Leeds, somehow, did not win by more. City's goal survived a charmed life thanks to both man of the match Bentley, the woodwork, and Leeds absence of predatory striking despite the drive of their support players into forward channels. City rallied in the second half but rarely troubled the home keeper.

In fact goalscorer Ayling should have been flagged for a penalty in the second period, whilst he and teammate Dallas regularly curtailed City strikers by tumbling cheaply and awfully to buy free kicks, but despite this soft touch and gamesmanship stalling City's rally, in truth they never got close to the home keeper and deserved nothing.

Played in gale force winds and sporadic driving rain, Leeds were all over makeshift City right from the start. In the first minute Costa got in from the right - as he'd do all day - City twice cutting it out for a corner before Cooper headed just over far post. In minutes Costa again tore past Dasilva, cut in and saw Bentley hold his low cross.

In response City lacked shape or idea and on 7 minutes Paterson skipped away from defenders and won a free kick, but punted the ball into the crowd himself, a reminder that the wind was playing havoc with high balls. On 11 a rapid City break saw Wells turn smartly on halfway and set Weimann in, the striker beaten by the first defender.

It was literally all Leeds, roared on by their bumper crowd, and on quarter of an hour the relentless pressure told. Ayling started and finished the move, driving on into the City box and fashioning a series of shots for which the visitors could not clear their lines, retrieved beyond the far post to be turned back inside for Ayling to lash home.

Everything was coming down City's left as the anonymous Weimann offered Dasilva no support, the full back torched over and over, and his attempt at a quick break was curtailed by a poor pass, a quick ball in by Leeds put Costa clear to force a parry by Bentley, chaos again as Dallas hit the bar and Bamford was offside with the tap in.

City were second to everything and found their long ball response swept away in the wind, but after an utterly one sided start by the Yorkshire hosts, finally the match settled as City started to adjust to Leeds driving channel runs, Dasilva in particular improving, the introduction of O'Dowda for Weimann decisive in delivering an outlet. 

The Irish substitute actually ran at Leeds as well as tracking his opponents off the ball, with a purpose that City had lacked while Weimann floated about. His second run down the left got the ball to the byline and cut it back for Dasilva, whose cross met Paterson drifting in to nod a stooping header easily into the keepers hands.

Lee Johnson's side went in well beaten at the break yet miraculously only one down, and they at least returned after the break with much needed purpose. In just 3 a well worked, typically patient move switched play right, to where Kalas fed Eliasson, his curling cross met Ayling, falling, edge of the box, hand out, pushing the ball away.

The officials, consistent but continously appeasing home fans as Leeds repeatedly pulled back City breaks without any cards, inevitably decided this also wasn't worthy of a penalty for fear of upsetting the large turn out. Frustrating but hardly decisive as the visitors had been worth nothing on the day - Leeds attacks still far more incisive.  

Again the match settled and it wasn't until sickness-hit striker Diedhiou came on for the tricky but ultimately overrun Paterson, that City finally had the target and outlet they needed. And yet it triggered another Leeds swarming, marauding push to seal their win. Speaking to Leeds fans Helder Costa isn't up to it. We made him a star.

Midway through the half Costa again went clear from the right, cut inside and slipped a ball across goal to Bamford to apply the finish. Somehow Bentley was able to claw it away and give his defence time to clear off the line. Minutes later a diagonal Costa run went clean through, rounding Bentley, the keeper somehow recovering to deflect.

By now City were pushed up and had their hosts pinned back, building methodically and yet rarely actually troubling their box. So often the visitors channel runs over the top were met by Leeds defenders - Dallas and Ayling - diving theatrically under any pressure, counting on the ref to stall the visitors forays with the softest of fouls.

Kasey Palmer came on for Eliasson, a fleet footed wing threat for all of 10 second half minutes, and inside 80 minutes City's only chance arrived. It needed just one chance to level things up, Diedhiou dropping and winning a forward ball in a crowd, taking it in stride, releasing Wells off the last man, racing in to flash a shot just over the angle. 

City's moment to steal a smash and grab point - missed. In the 83rd minute Leeds again seemed certain to add to their lead. Dallas played it into Harrison's run and he slammed a first time rising shot onto angle of bar and post, bundled away by Massengo. In injury time Diedhiou lost out  and sub Augustin drilled wide with one to beat.

The play off chasing away side had never looked like earning anything from the day, and despite having settled and fashioned a penalty shout and Wells chance, always looked second best to wave after wave of decisive Leeds break, the hosts conviction and drive shone through, and City would regret letting them dominate the opening.

Bentley 9 Kept City in the game when it seemed improbable - easily a 3-0 or 4-0 without him, man of the match

Kalas 6 He's played right back before but was unconventional and he and Dasilva had no answer for Leeds channel runs

Dasilva 6 Awful for 20 minutes and torn to pieces, adjusted and about our best for the rest including storming runs beyond his markers. But proof we need defence.

Baker 6 Largely dominant in the air but part of a core defence that was tipped to shreds in the opening half hour

Williams 7 Still the best of our defence, he is the last man onto forward balls, yet can push up at the end and retain possession - criminally underrated by supporters

Hendricksen 6 Solid but second to most loose balls and passing off target

Massengo 7 Often out muscled but gets a high score for the energy and desire that he showed - the only one chasing around after Leeds players, touches didn't always come off but always looking to beat people

Eliasson 6 Had a purple patch at the start of the second half where he bamboozled defenders and found crosses (Ayling save ruined the best) but never got going long enough to bring City strikers into play 

Paterson 6 Briefly our best player for the early exchanges as has the nearest touch and poise - but unlike other games totally out muscled before he can figure 

Weimann 4 First thing he did was come off. For half hour he drifted around looking to get set but never defended or attacked

Wells 6 Missed our best chance but more will come, always neater than we have seen when dropping to control the ball - definitely an upgrade 

O'Dowda 7 Been terrible all season but was our best outlet and massive upgrade over Weimann, ran with confidence and got tight when defending, frustration was Leeds defenders just dived to the floor if he touched them - must have Coronavirus

Diedhiou 6 Won several big headers and an outlet we had lacked for an hour, but never got in a position to score and rarely found by Eliasson bar a five minute spell

Palmer 5 Exciting to see him play with Wells and Diedhiou off him but didn't get a chance to run with the ball

Wasn’t at the game but based on what others have said about Massengo I’m very shocked you gave a high mark!

Archived