IGNORED

Kasey Palmer

southvillekiddy

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Suited to Leeds style of play ? 

Not sure you get Bielsa , & we are going around in circles but he wouldn’t look better in Leeds side as he’d get nowhere near it , that’s the point !

And he wouldn't get in the sides of most of the top half of the championship.   People are blinded by the fact he came from Chelsea and didn't consistently get in either Blackburn or Derby sides when he was on loan there.

It's not the coaches,  it's not the style of play and its certainly not that Famara is playing and he cant play with him  (as was being ridiculously suggested earlier in the season).  Sometimes the player is at fault - cult figure or not.

.... and this is where I really worry about our recruitment. 

Kasey, add CoD.

Neither were punts. We knew them inside out.

Serious money involved for a Club of our size. What are we doing?

Whoever is responsible has some serious questions to answer come the end of the season. 

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Kasey, add CoD.

Whoever is responsible has some serious questions to answer come the end of the season. 

COD?  Bought him young to improve him. 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

“So much better”?  Than what?

We were pretty poor all game....as bad as I’ve seen us all season.  We had a “better” (relative) spell 10 minutes before h-t, and first 15 minutes of second half, but still no better than Leeds, who continued to pick us apart.  The last 30 minutes, coupled with the switch to 532 didn’t work.  Palmer was no better or worse than anyone else in that period....the game bypassed several players yesterday.

Agreed - ironically I felt it was Callum O'Dowda, someone who i'm not a huge fan of, that made the difference in that 10 min spell. After HT Leeds adapted to him playing deeper than Weimann was and nulified him just like the rest of our team. 

6 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Kasey, add CoD.

I think recruitment is an area that Johnson and Ashton are in credit for really. Breakdowns of which signings have worked and been sold for profit have been done to death, but the general consensus on here seems to be that overall Johnson and Ashton have done well with transfers, especially in terms of net spend. 

Not every single signing will work out though, look at Engvall. I think the Palmer situation is the more concerning one, because we did spend a good amount on him. I hope it wasn't a case of signing someone who doesn't really fit because the fans were clamouring for it (Tomlin). 

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think recruitment is an area that Johnson and Ashton are in credit for really. Breakdowns of which signings have worked and been sold for profit have been done to death, but the general consensus on here seems to be that overall Johnson and Ashton have done well with transfers, especially in terms of net spend. 

Not every single signing will work out though, look at Engvall. I think the Palmer situation is the more concerning one, because we did spend a good amount on him. I hope it wasn't a case of signing someone who doesn't really fit because the fans were clamouring for it (Tomlin). 

Our policy of sign young, improve, and sell on for profit means that some signings won’t improve and will be deemed failures. Take the rough with the smooth though as overall it works 

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Our policy of sign young, improve, and sell on for profit means that some signings won’t improve and will be deemed failures. Take the rough with the smooth though as overall it works 

Yes exactly. I've said it many times but I think some people been taken a bit by surprise at how finances in football have accelerated. It wasn't that long ago we were breaking our transfer record at 1m for Lee Trundle. Now we sign Taylor Moore for more than that and it took him a couple of seasons to get near the first team.

This has been a bit of a culture shock for people I think. There's still an assumption amongst some people that 1m+ should equal first team regular. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes exactly. I've said it many times but I think some people been taken a bit by surprise at how finances in football have accelerated. It wasn't that long ago we were breaking our transfer record at 1m for Lee Trundle. Now we sign Taylor Moore for more than that and it took him a couple of seasons to get near the first team.

This has been a bit of a culture shock for people I think. There's still an assumption amongst some people that 1m+ should equal first team regular. 

Agreed. The amount of fans that wrote off Taylor Moore showed a clear lack of foresight 

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed - ironically I felt it was Callum O'Dowda, someone who i'm not a huge fan of, that made the difference in that 10 min spell. After HT Leeds adapted to him playing deeper than Weimann was and nulified him just like the rest of our team. 

Yep, I thought COD looked like he meant business....and as well as he did, he also petered out....but difficult chasing Leeds in fairness.

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I wonder whether some are bought purely as a financial transaction?  Buy a player because we are a big fish to someone like Colchester (Szmodics), train him, loan him, sell him.  I’d like to think that’s not the case, but I do wonder.

You can be a flair player and still contribute to the team in various ways. For example, Brian Tinnion was a very creative player, but wasn’t a passenger for long periods of the match. He knew when to try the creative stuff, but also knew when to keep it simple. Over the years there have been numerous players who played for City who could balance flair with the “dull” sensible stuff. It’s not necessarily due to ability but rather due to what goes on in a players mind. Some players can think and others are just headless chickens. IMO Palmer needs coaching on how to think not how to play 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, I thought COD looked like he meant business....and as well as he did, he also petered out....but difficult chasing Leeds in fairness.

I wonder whether some are bought purely as a financial transaction?  Buy a player because we are a big fish to someone like Colchester (Szmodics), train him, loan him, sell him.  I’d like to think that’s not the case, but I do wonder.

I think there is a bit of that. I have no problem with it. 

10 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think there is a bit of that. I have no problem with it. 

Yeah, guessing as fans we don’t see the transparency of it.

There is a downside that players might start to see us as the place to go if you want to get loaned somewhere else.  Need to see this over a longer period to reach that conclusion though.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

“So much better”?  Than what?

We were pretty poor all game....as bad as I’ve seen us all season.  We had a “better” (relative) spell 10 minutes before h-t, and first 15 minutes of second half, but still no better than Leeds, who continued to pick us apart.  The last 30 minutes, coupled with the switch to 532 didn’t work.  Palmer was no better or worse than anyone else in that period....the game bypassed several players yesterday.

I thought when Palmer came on we then got a lot worse. We were never that good, but looked more comfortable and at least were getting the ball into half decent attacking positions before that change was made.

First 25 mins or so of game we were awful. Then at least mainly looked decent enough at times up to last 20 odd mins when we looked as bad as we started the game.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

On here and friends of mine. Didn’t keep count obviously but it was a lot 

I’ve never written him off, but my expectations have flip-flopped up and down from future-Prem CB to something not so high ?, but you’re right there have been quite a lot on here who have.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

On here and friends of mine. Didn’t keep count obviously but it was a lot 

There were many for sure. It seemed to me to mainly be people who would moan about the clubs recruitment. 

19-20 year old not good enough for championship? What a waste of 1.5 million!

When in fact he was making very good progress in league one with Southend having not done so well in league two with Cheltenham. A clear sign of improvement there.

1 hour ago, 77 punk said:

palmer cost 4 million pound which is a big transfer fee for bristol city, with his wages it is becoming one of the worst deals in the clubs history

£3.4million. 
Not being picky, but when talking about the value of a player, you can’t just round the cost up by nearly 20%. 

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Bentley and........................Benkovic perhaps given he’s a £13m player? He might also feel he could get a decent tune out of Elliasson. Nobody else. But Leeds are a better side than us so no surprise there.

As I responded to another similar post, if he wanted to sign any of our players I suspect that he would have. Benkovic is a Leicester player of course.

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Yeah that’s how it works. He can choose any player he wants I guess and his opinion on a player is always 100% correct. Thanks for the insight!  Remind me, what striker did they get in January ?!

Did you watch it yesterday. Bar Bentley they were vastly superior to us in every position. Why would they want less talented players.

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

But we didn’t improve him, made him worse. Then resigned him, I assume, on an enhanced contract. 

Bizarre. 

You wanted him to leave on a free?

4 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Did you watch it yesterday. Bar Bentley they were vastly superior to us in every position. Why would they want less talented players.

One game. Look over a whole season. We have players they would want 

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

You wanted him to leave on a free?

One game. Look over a whole season. We have players they would want 

It's ridiculous to think that Leeds wouldn't want any of our squad.. currently in 7th place and only 6 points off them.

We played badly yesterday, but we really aren't that terrible. If they'd had Nakhi Wells or even Diedhiou yesterday it could have been 3-0+.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's ridiculous to think that Leeds wouldn't want any of our squad.. currently in 7th place and only 6 points off them.

We played badly yesterday, but we really aren't that terrible. If they'd had Nakhi Wells or even Diedhiou yesterday it could have been 3-0+.

Many ridiculous opinions on here!

23 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

£3.4million. 
Not being picky, but when talking about the value of a player, you can’t just round the cost up by nearly 20%. 

Plus wages over a 4 year contract. Probably a lot more than £4 million. (not to mention his loan fee last season)

Archived