IGNORED

Kasey Palmer

southvillekiddy

It's poor management as much as anything imo.  Palmer hadn't featured in a league game in 2 months before yesterday.  Why then throw him on against one of the best teams in the league?  

If he's really out of form and lacking in confidence as appears to be the case, why not try to build that up again by gradually bringing him into the team during games that we're winning or against more favourable opposition?

2 minutes ago, Roe said:

It's poor management as much as anything imo.  Palmer hadn't featured in a league game in 2 months before yesterday.  Why then throw him on against one of the best teams in the league?  

If he's really out of form and lacking in confidence as appears to be the case, why not try to build that up again by gradually bringing him into the team during games that we're winning or against more favourable opposition?

In fairness to LJ

The games we’ve been winning we’ve been hanging on for grim death and thus absolutely not the games to be bringing Palmer on (IMHO) 

Palmer has to earn a place , if we’ve spent unwisely that’s one thing but we can’t shoehorn him into the side IMHO

Kasey Palmer is a player who tries to be positive and subsequently, not everything comes off - whether that’s beating a player whilst receiving it under pressure or executing a difficult ball. 

Seems we want the best of both, someone who is positive but doesn’t ever lose the ball, which lets be honest, will never happen.

In his last start, he was our best player and we’ve hardly seen him since. 

4 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Kasey Palmer is a player who tries to be positive and subsequently, not everything comes off - whether that’s beating a player whilst receiving it under pressure or executing a difficult ball. 

Seems we want the best of both, someone who is positive but doesn’t ever lose the ball, which lets be honest, will never happen.

In his last start, he was our best player and we’ve hardly seen him since. 

Football is about risk and reward.

It seems to me that LJ is a pragmatic coach and prefers to go with a formation and tactics primarily designed to minimise risk, and this is why we do not play a more expansive style. It also explains why our away form and results are much better than our home form and results as his team can be set up to counter the opposition rather than having to make the running. 

As you say Kibs, Palmer is a player prepared to try something i.e. he will take a risk, but when he does and it doesn't come off it is likely to put us under pressure.The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure many of the fans bemoaning our mundane and boring style of football are exactly the same people quick to post their moans about Palmer's mistakes causing us problems, even though he is just the type of layer we need to inject attacking flair into the team.

We would all want us to play flowing and attractive football and to do so a player like Palmer is what we need to break the lines and play decisive attacking passes. Unfortunately, just at the moment I don't think LJ is as comfortable trying to play that way and would prefer to keep things tight, even if it means home fans being less than enamoured by the fare that is served up at Ashton Gate. We seem to do better by having less of the ball, as evidenced by the last 2 home games.

I think when KP was signed in the summer LJ was looking for that more expansive style and the early signs looked good with Nagy, Palmer Weimann and Afobe seeming to be on similar wavelengths. Injuries to Nagy and, crucially, Afobe put paid to that, since when injuries  forced so many changes and Palmer lost his mojo, so  now we are back into a decent league position I don't think LJ is prepared to risk that by Palmer playing other than a bit part from now until the end of the season.

Having said all of that, and knowing how perverse Lj can be expect Palmer to start against West Brom! :) 

You've simply got to look at what a player gives as a whole. Being able to put a pass or a cross in occasionally, regardless of how brilliant it was, isn't good enough at this level. The same reason as Bielsa chose Bamford over Nketiah...you have to be more than a one trick pony.

If you can't track back, the team may as well be playing with 9 men.

We have got Palmer and Eliasson who both come into those scenerios...add Pato and Famara into the equation and you've got a whole lot of covering to do on the defensive.

Yesterday was a prime example as to why Eliasson and Palmer wouldn't get into teams of another level imo.

24 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

And incredibly before yesterday they were only 3 points ahead of us. 

Yep. Just saying in the way they keep the ball it's been worked on so well on the training ground.

But then however great it looks it brings weaknesses. 

I also think the constant fouling is a tactic that works very well for them in not being caught as long as they have a weak ref like they did yesterday.

41 minutes ago, shelts said:

Not massively surprised with how it’s turning out for Palmer .  A panic buy .  

It was definitely a bit odd given we saw exactly the player we'd be getting last season. A big financial risk for the potential reward. I don't know who convinces who to pull the trigger on these type of signings but my water tells me LJ was never completely won over.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

You've simply got to look at what a player gives as a whole. Being able to put a pass or a cross in occasionally, regardless of how brilliant it was, isn't good enough at this level. The same reason as Bielsa chose Bamford over Nketiah...you have to be more than a one trick pony.

If you can't track back, the team may as well be playing with 9 men.

We have got Palmer and Eliasson who both come into those scenerios...add Pato and Famara into the equation and you've got a whole lot of covering to do on the defensive.

Yesterday was a prime example as to why Eliasson and Palmer wouldn't get into teams of another level imo.

In fairness to Big Dave he heads about 200 balls a season out of our penalty area from opposition corners alone. Obviously as a Centre Forward we aren’t going to be expecting a lot from him in terms of tracking back.

Where I agree is if you have 4 players not putting a defensive shift in then the other seven have to do a mountain of work.

1 hour ago, shelts said:

Not massively surprised with how it’s turning out for Palmer .  A panic buy .  

A surplus buy would be more accurate. something we have seen rather a lot of during LJ's, or more to the point MA's tenure. 

"We need to trim" was said during the January window, is the squad trimmer? 

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

A surplus buy would be more accurate. something we have seen rather a lot of during LJ's, or more to the point MA's tenure. 

We don’t play expansive football and the lads a luxury. We’d seen enough during his loan spell . Good footballer though 

8 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Can someone please enlighten me. Is Kasey Palmer another case of a flair player not fitting in at City or is there genuinely something he has not yet learnt to do as a footballer.

Been Ill with breathing difficulties. 

8 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Can someone please enlighten me. Is Kasey Palmer another case of a flair player not fitting in at City or is there genuinely something he has not yet learnt to do as a footballer.

In WeeLee's set up he's a show pony. Player to bring on when 2 up with 20 minutes to go and the crowd need entertainment. 

If he's played alongside ball-winners,  grafters and cover men who'll do his dirty work then he'd be a creative type. Like WeeLee would ever sign those.....

I have the horrible feeling you get a pre contract Casey and a post contract Casey

I would have expected him to be furious to be left out of the sqaud by like our old mate Tomlin it doesn't seem to bother his too much

One other point, when did LJ ever have a good relationship with a flair player?

I wonder if he wanted him in the first place

6 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I have the horrible feeling you get a pre contract Casey and a post contract Casey

I would have expected him to be furious to be left out of the sqaud by like our old mate Tomlin it doesn't seem to bother his too much

One other point, when did LJ ever have a good relationship with a flair player?

I wonder if he wanted him in the first place

He doesn't seem a very LJ type player. Szmodics much more what I imagine he likes, even if he hasn't given him a run of games yet. He likes work rate 

On 16/02/2020 at 15:25, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes exactly. I've said it many times but I think some people been taken a bit by surprise at how finances in football have accelerated. It wasn't that long ago we were breaking our transfer record at 1m for Lee Trundle. Now we sign Taylor Moore for more than that and it took him a couple of seasons to get near the first team.

This has been a bit of a culture shock for people I think. There's still an assumption amongst some people that 1m+ should equal first team regular. 

Did we break our transfer record to buy Trundle? How much did we pay for Thorpe and Akinbiyi? Not saying you’re incorrect, just remember us spending a fair bit on Tony and Adi ...

On 16/02/2020 at 20:10, AppyDAZE said:

We've used 19 players in the last 3 games alone. It's ridiculous.

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Did we break our transfer record to buy Trundle? How much did we pay for Thorpe and Akinbiyi? Not saying you’re incorrect, just remember us spending a fair bit on Tony and Adi ...

Thorpe and Akinbiyi were before my time watching so could well be wrong about that. I know Maynard definitely broke our record a couple of years later at 2.25/2.5m.

3-5-2 with an Afobe type striker suits KP and will see you get the best of him. Likewise, I believe this formation also gets the best out of Massengo. 

We moved away from this formation when Afobe got injured, imo the business we did in January is looking to move back towards that formation at some point.

Accusations that he is lazy are misinformed - Positional sense is suspect and he definitely tackles like a forward, but he still chases back and attempts to press. 

The lad has only just turned 23, (could also be mentally suffering after his close mate lost a young child) but lets write him off entirely.

I can’t understand why we signed him. He hardly played while on loan. Prior to that he hardly got a game at Blackburn and Chelsea clearly didn’t think he was good enough for them. 
There’s definitely a good player in there somewhere but to fit in we have to hugely compensate in other areas as he’s not prepared (or capable) of mucking in for any length of time . 

49 minutes ago, redapple said:

I can’t understand why we signed him. He hardly played while on loan. Prior to that he hardly got a game at Blackburn and Chelsea clearly didn’t think he was good enough for them. 
There’s definitely a good player in there somewhere but to fit in we have to hugely compensate in other areas as he’s not prepared (or capable) of mucking in for any length of time . 

I do wonder if there was a bit of pressure to sign him because of the good PR it would generate. We probably knew that people like Kelly and Webster were off. Palmer was a fan's favourite and signing him would help ease fan concerns and help ST sales. 

Archived