IGNORED

Crowd for Albion

MattWSM

West Brom have always been good to us and I've always enjoyed going to the Hawthorns. Top ground and decent fans. I remember the cup game where they gave us the whole end, think we took about 5500 that day and they only charged us £10 a ticket, shame we couldn't open up the whole end for them.

1 minute ago, Packman said:

West Brom have always been good to us and I've always enjoyed going to the Hawthorns. Top ground and decent fans. I remember the cup game where they gave us the whole end, think we took about 5500 that day and they only charged us £10 a ticket, shame we couldn't open up the whole end for them.

They had no choice but to to give us 15% for an F.A. Cup game.

We've been too generous with away allocations in the past, but all that stopped after the Swansea debacle.

I'm actually wondering why we've given WBA 3k instead of our usual 2.7k limit.

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We've been too generous with away allocations in the past, but all that stopped after the Swansea debacle.

I know this is something we've both banged on about for years, but I don't understand why you'd give the away support the marginal advantage of being behind a goal with a full end. They should be up in the gods somewhere with city fans behind both goals. Negligent that this wasn't factored into the redevelopment in my opinion.

31 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Was that the Swansea debacle that was about the best atmosphere we've had for a league game at the new ground and also a game we won?

36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know this is something we've both banged on about for years, but I don't understand why you'd give the away support the marginal advantage of being behind a goal with a full end. They should be up in the gods somewhere with city fans behind both goals. Negligent that this wasn't factored into the redevelopment in my opinion.

Your right, it has been banged on about for years, but your also right, they should be up in the gods!

32 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

creates a good atmosphere. City on 3 sides and away team on 1.  bring back full allocation to away teams

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

So 15% of 27000 is just over 4000, so therefore they gave us more than they had to which was very nice of them. Just because a few Swansea fans acted like bellends doesn't mean west Brom will and like someone else has said we won the Swansea game and the atmosphere was rocking, can't see the problem.

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Was that the Swansea debacle that was about the best atmosphere we've had for a league game at the new ground and also a game we won?

Couldn't agree more, and I'm sure players (ours included) would back that. I can't understand any fan who would prefer to watch football in a muted atmosphere than a packed house going hell for leather to back their sides. 

Further, I think historically the home fans at AG have always responded brilliantly well to a big away following and our players likewise. It adds a sense of occasion and a sense of buzz, unbelievable so many don't recognize that!

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Said it before and I’ll say it again.

If a club sells out their allocation, we have more seats available in the stand, and our own fans don’t need them - give them the tickets. Other clubs should then apply the same principle to us in return.

That way, more football fans get to watch more football, atmospheres improve, and clubs make more money. And if it’s a reciprocal agreement then overall there is no advantage for anyone.

We’ve enjoyed some great away days with big followings, which many people wouldn’t have enjoyed had clubs applied the same restrictions to us, that many of here advocate to applying to fans visiting Ashton Gate.

I’d also argue that a large visiting support spurs on our own fans and creates a far greater sense of occasion - which benefits the home team just as much as the away. Case in point the Swansea game you mention.

28 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If a club sells out their allocation, we have more seats available in the stand, and our own fans don’t need them - give them the tickets. Other clubs should then apply the same principle to us in return.

That way, more football fans get to watch more football, atmospheres improve, and clubs make more money. And if it’s a reciprocal agreement then overall there is no advantage for anyone.

We’ve enjoyed some great away days with big followings, which many people wouldn’t have enjoyed had clubs applied the same restrictions to us, that many of here advocate to applying to fans visiting Ashton Gate.

I’d also argue that a large visiting support spurs on our own fans and creates a far greater sense of occasion - which benefits the home team just as much as the away. Case in point the Swansea game you mention.

absolutely agree on every point. more fans the better

17 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I was thinking of the Swansea game where there were so many away fans that police lost control and they surged en masse into the corner by home fans leading to fighting.

Outside the ground control was lost again as Swansea fans broke through a police cordon and ordinary fans, young and old, had to witness mass fighting in the park.

This was mostly down to numbers and there's no doubt afaic. that when we give these whole end 4k+ allocations more away fan non STHs and potential troublemakers get tickets.

Terrible publicity for BCFC as the media had a field day showing the trouble, and we've seen it so many times.

Why the obsession with filing the whole away end and in the process undoubtedly diluting home advantage?

Our usual maximum away allocation of 2.7k is large in itself and more than enough for the away fans to make a big racket and add to the atmosphere.

Thankfully this season, at last, the club seem to have seen sense and are not giving out excessive away allocations.

14 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You have, and I've disagreed before, and I disagree again.

12 hours ago, andy h said:

west brom fan in peace 

i agree with all the sentiments on here more fans better atmosphere  

You should be able to make a good noise with 3k.

How many other Championship clubs give you more than 10% of home capacity like we have btw?

I was thinking of the Swansea game where there were so many away fans that police lost control and they surged en masse into the corner by home fans leading to fighting.

Outside the ground control was lost again as Swansea fans broke through a police cordon and ordinary fans, young and old, had to witness mass fighting in the park.

This was mostly down to numbers and there's no doubt afaic. that when we give these whole end 4k+ allocations more away fan non STHs and potential troublemakers get tickets.

Terrible publicity for BCFC as the media had a field day showing the trouble, and we've seen it so many times.

Why the obsession with filing the whole away end and in the process undoubtedly diluting home advantage?

Our usual maximum away allocation of 2.7k is large in itself and more than enough for the away fans to make a big racket and add to the atmosphere.

Thankfully this season, at last, the club seem to have seen sense and are not giving out excessive away allocations.

As you say, the police lost control - this was their cock-up. Matches against Swansea have usually had a bit of bite, and it's quite unbelievable that the police lost control. Who knows, maybe they did so on purpose to get a load of lads on camera and hand out a new batch of banning orders? Either way,  if it's numbers you're afraid of, then maybe we should just limit Ashton Gate to 5,000. We have a great stadium - let's bloody well use it, and yes, that means giving away fans their rightful due as well. 

As for the terrible publicity? How do you mean? We've hardly had a black mark held against us. It got fleetingly mentioned in the press, that was it. I don't see players not joining us because of it, or kids cowering in terror at the prospect of watching us. Even in modern times, handbags happen at football, but that's all it pretty much was. Whilst I wasn't there, having viewed the footage and heard from several people who were, it doesn't hold a candle to many of our past fixtures with Swansea. 

As for this 'home advantage' you go on about, that point is discussed elsewhere and doesn't really hold much water. 

Not just the amount of away fans that day but bad police organisation all day long led to the trouble 

thay seemed to mess them around on the way to the ground which didn’t help

3 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

As you say, the police lost control - this was their cock-up. Matches against Swansea have usually had a bit of bite, and it's quite unbelievable that the police lost control. Who knows, maybe they did so on purpose to get a load of lads on camera and hand out a new batch of banning orders? Either way,  if it's numbers you're afraid of, then maybe we should just limit Ashton Gate to 5,000. We have a great stadium - let's bloody well use it, and yes, that means giving away fans their rightful due as well. 

As for the terrible publicity? How do you mean? We've hardly had a black mark held against us. It got fleetingly mentioned in the press, that was it. I don't see players not joining us because of it, or kids cowering in terror at the prospect of watching us. Even in modern times, handbags happen at football, but that's all it pretty much was. Whilst I wasn't there, having viewed the footage and heard from several people who were, it doesn't hold a candle to many of our past fixtures with Swansea. 

As for this 'home advantage' you go on about, that point is discussed elsewhere and doesn't really hold much water. 

Correction- the police didn't lose control.....they never had control in the first place. 

Archived