IGNORED

Crowd for Albion

MattWSM

• Admin
2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was thinking of the Swansea game where there were so many away fans that police lost control and they surged en masse into the corner by home fans leading to fighting.

Outside the ground control was lost again as Swansea fans broke through a police cordon and ordinary fans, young and old, had to witness mass fighting in the park.

This was mostly down to numbers and there's no doubt afaic. that when we give these whole end 4k+ allocations more away fan non STHs and potential troublemakers get tickets.

Terrible publicity for BCFC as the media had a field day showing the trouble, and we've seen it so many times.

Why the obsession with filing the whole away end and in the process undoubtedly diluting home advantage?

Our usual maximum away allocation of 2.7k is large in itself and more than enough for the away fans to make a big racket and add to the atmosphere.

Thankfully this season, at last, the club seem to have seen sense and are not giving out excessive away allocations.

image.png

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was thinking of the Swansea game where there were so many away fans that police lost control and they surged en masse into the corner by home fans leading to fighting.

Outside the ground control was lost again as Swansea fans broke through a police cordon and ordinary fans, young and old, had to witness mass fighting in the park.

This was mostly down to numbers and there's no doubt afaic. that when we give these whole end 4k+ allocations more away fan non STHs and potential troublemakers get tickets.

Terrible publicity for BCFC as the media had a field day showing the trouble, and we've seen it so many times.

Why the obsession with filing the whole away end and in the process undoubtedly diluting home advantage?

Our usual maximum away allocation of 2.7k is large in itself and more than enough for the away fans to make a big racket and add to the atmosphere.

Thankfully this season, at last, the club seem to have seen sense and are not giving out excessive away allocations.

My memory is of a few handbags when the Swansea fans arrived late, I barely looked up, not interested while the football's going on. 

I also remember the Swansea fans singing their national anthem followed by the rest of the ground singing "England, England" it definitely gee'd the players up to get the victory. 

God knows how many dull games I have no memory of since but that day was special and I for one would love to see many more like that. Its a special ground when properly full, which sadly rarely happens now 

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

My memory is of a few handbags when the Swansea fans arrived late, I barely looked up, not interested while the football's going on. 

I also remember the Swansea fans singing their national anthem followed by the rest of the ground singing "England, England" it definitely gee'd the players up to get the victory. 

God knows how many dull games I have no memory of since but that day was special and I for one would love to see many more like that. Its a special ground when properly full, which sadly rarely happens now 

it was barely anything compared to nineties let alone eighties and doesn't even figure on seventies :)

all gone soft these days

One for @JulieH: I wondered when West Brom were given the extra allocation if it was partly down to the police saying "West Brom fans generally behave themselves so we're ok with that". Where as other clubs may be able to sell out the 2,700, but would not be given the extra allocation due to having a bit of a reputation.

Also, did the SAG put the restricted away allocation in place post Swansea, but are now starting to relax it?

10 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You have, and I've disagreed before, and I disagree again.

On what grounds do you disagree? I don’t see how denying visiting supporters tickets - both ourselves elsewhere and away fans at Ashton Gate - and preferring empty seats and a lesser atmosphere benefits anyone.

Really can’t get my head around why you would advocate that.

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

On what grounds do you disagree? I don’t see how denying visiting supporters tickets - both ourselves elsewhere and away fans at Ashton Gate - and preferring empty seats and a lesser atmosphere benefits anyone.

logic somewhere

• Admin
12 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

24k plus. 4 more days of general sale 

Not a chance we are going to sell another 2,000 tickets in four days - there is no reason for any sudden rush for anyone to buy tickets

If we had got something at Leeds it may have caught the attention of the casual supporter, but not now

11 hours ago, PhilC said:

One for @JulieH: I wondered when West Brom were given the extra allocation if it was partly down to the police saying "West Brom fans generally behave themselves so we're ok with that". Where as other clubs may be able to sell out the 2,700, but would not be given the extra allocation due to having a bit of a reputation.

Also, did the SAG put the restricted away allocation in place post Swansea, but are now starting to relax it?

@PhilC At the weekend in a post @JulieH put she was going to New York for a few days, so you wont hear anything this week

12 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

As said previously we are NOT denying visiting supporters tickets by not filling the away end to the rafters like the Swansea game.

They are not entitled to those extra tickets.

We give 10%, - 2.7k - the maximum amount we are required to give, as a norm, and that in itself is a large amount, more than enough for most clubs, and plenty to add to the atmosphere.

Some empty seats are fine by me and also necessary to provide segregation between the Atyeo and the adjoining stands - the Swansea game proved beyond doubt it is necessary to net off significant areas of seats in the Atyeo whether we like it not.

Giving excessive away allocations is a bad idea both in terms of maintaining home advantage and limiting crowd problems both inside and outside the ground.

I witnessed all the mass fighting in the park as long as 45 years ago - I don't find it exciting or interesting to see the exact same scenes occurring all these years later primarily because the police cannot control the excessive numbers of away fans you wish to see.

Btw. If you don't think there are ordinary City fans who will be put off attending when they see fighting in the ground and have to avoid running battles outside you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As said previously we are NOT denying visiting supporters tickets by not filling the away end to the rafters like the Swansea game.

We give 10%, - 2.7k - the maximum amount we are required to give, as a norm, and that in itself is a large amount, more than enough for most clubs, and plenty to add to the atmosphere.

Some empty seats are fine by me and also necessary to provide segregation between the Atyeo and the adjoining stands - the Swansea game proved beyond doubt it is necessary to net off significant areas of seats in the Atyeo whether we like it not.

Giving excessive away allocations is a bad idea both in terms of maintaining home advantage and limiting crowd problems both inside and outside the ground.

I witnessed all the mass fighting in the park as long as 40 years ago - I don't find it exciting or interesting to see the exact same scenes occurring all these years later primarily because the police cannot control the excessive numbers of away fans you wish to see.

Btw. If you don't think there are ordinary City fans who will be put off attending when they see fighting in the ground and have to avoid running battles outside you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Can't wait for you to be the one to miss out on an away ticket for a promotion decider just because the home team want some empty seats.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

22,000 would be awful considering 3,000 from West Bromwich. 19,000 would be our lowest home crowd of the season, so more likely the attendance will be at least 23,000 with 20,000 Bristolians which is a pretty average turnout from us this season.

To me that would indicate that we have a very low "walk up" on tickets bought any match day

The majority of out support must be season ticket holders

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Can't wait for you to be the one to miss out on an away ticket for a promotion decider just because the home team want some empty seats.

This has happened in the past when we have been to places and large sections around us are empty

20 hours ago, poland_exile said:

As you say, the police lost control - this was their cock-up. Matches against Swansea have usually had a bit of bite, and it's quite unbelievable that the police lost control. Who knows, maybe they did so on purpose to get a load of lads on camera and hand out a new batch of banning orders? Either way,  if it's numbers you're afraid of, then maybe we should just limit Ashton Gate to 5,000. We have a great stadium - let's bloody well use it, and yes, that means giving away fans their rightful due as well. 

As for the terrible publicity? How do you mean? We've hardly had a black mark held against us. It got fleetingly mentioned in the press, that was it. I don't see players not joining us because of it, or kids cowering in terror at the prospect of watching us. Even in modern times, handbags happen at football, but that's all it pretty much was. Whilst I wasn't there, having viewed the footage and heard from several people who were, it doesn't hold a candle to many of our past fixtures with Swansea. 

As for this 'home advantage' you go on about, that point is discussed elsewhere and doesn't really hold much water. 

Their rightful due is 2.7k. At 3k we are already giving West Brom more than their rightful due.

May be you didn't see all the bad publicity in Poland but I can assure you it was all over the local press and TV for days as well as the internet.

This is not the 70's/80's where such scenes were expected - it's very unusual to have 20-25 arrests at a game these days and the media go to town on it.

Kids certainly were frightened outside the ground, quite naturally when adults are slugging it out and police horses charging about in close proximity.

I think my point about home advantage very much hold water.

Why do you want to see 4k allocations and all the potential problems associated with these excessive numbers inside and outside the ground - it can't be about atmosphere during the match because 2.7k is more than enough to provide that.

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

We should expect 10% and most City STH's would miss out unless you're expecting another club to give us 15k.

17 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Something like 25 arrests iirc, far from handbags, and fighting like that inside a football ground is more or less unheard of in England these days.

2.7k Swansea fans would also have sung their National anthem, and got similar loud response from City fans, so no lessening of atmosphere.

The poor policing, apparently caused by sheer weight of numbers of away fans created the problems inside and outside AG that day imo.

The simple and sensible solution is not to give excessive allocations they clearly can't cope with which led to the utterly predictable scenes we saw that day.

The club seem to agree - no doubt taking into account police advice - even if you and some posters other on here don't.

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

To me that would indicate that we have a very low "walk up" on tickets bought any match day

The majority of out support must be season ticket holders

This has happened in the past when we have been to places and large sections around us are empty

That’s not really a surprise with our match day prices.

26 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Their rightful due is 2.7k. At 3k we are already giving West Brom more than their rightful due.

May be you didn't see all the bad publicity in Poland but I can assure you it was all over the local press and TV for days as well as the internet.

This is not the 70's/80's where such scenes were expected - it's very unusual to have 20-25 arrests at a game these days and the media go to town on it.

Kids certainly were frightened outside the ground, quite naturally when adults are slugging it out and police horses charging about in close proximity.

I think my point about home advantage very much hold water.

Why do you want to see 4k allocations and all the potential problems associated with these excessive numbers inside and outside the ground - it can't be about atmosphere during the match because 2.7k is more than enough to provide that.

If 4 or 5k away fans want to travel and there’s room for them then let them I say. Although I don’t travel away often myself these days,  some of my wonderful memories from away days when we have taken big followings can’t be taken away. There’s another thread currently on here when there must have been 8000 at West Brom. Then double that 14 months later at Coventry. Other big followings to Arsenal, Liverpool, Bradford, Forest, Portsmouth, Birmingham, Walsall, MK Dons are alive in my memory. 

44 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I witnessed all the mass fighting in the park as long as 40 years ago - I don't find it exciting or interesting to see the exact same scenes occurring all these years later primarily because the police cannot control the excessive numbers of away fans you wish to see.

You’re conflating two issues here. I haven’t mentioned anything about fighting and I don’t see why we are jumping to the conclusion that more generous away followings automatically means trouble.

If Liverpool v Man Utd, Spurs v Arsenal and Celtic v Rangers can all happen with vastly bigger crowds than us and a much more contentious history between fans, limiting the away following for a game between City and West Brom (for example) in a 27k stadium because of the increased risk of trouble seems frankly ridiculous.

What’s your suggestion if we meet Swansea in the play off final? Or FA Cup games where an increased allocation is statutory?

If we have more tickets, give them more tickets, and they can do the same for the reverse fixture - everyone wins.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You’re conflating two issues here. I haven’t mentioned anything about fighting and I don’t see why we are jumping to the conclusion that more generous away followings automatically means trouble.

If Liverpool v Man Utd, Spurs v Arsenal and Celtic v Rangers can all happen with vastly bigger crowds than us and a much more contentious history between fans, limiting the away following for a game between City and West Brom (for example) in a 27k stadium because of the increased risk of trouble seems frankly ridiculous.

What’s your suggestion if we meet Swansea in the play off final? Or FA Cup games where an increased allocation is statutory?

If we have more tickets, give them more tickets, and they can do the same for the reverse fixture - everyone wins.

For me the only reason we wouldn't offer the away support the maximum number of seats is if we were selling out our home allocation, that way at least the seats would be still used

1 minute ago, phantom said:

For me the only reason we wouldn't offer the away support the maximum number of seats is if we were selling out our home allocation, that way at least the seats would be still used

Precisely. There are games up and down the country every week with bigger crowds and bigger away followings than we could ever see at Ashton Gate and they invariably pass off without trouble. We’re hardly Galatasary are we.

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I witnessed all the mass fighting in the park as long as 45 years ago - I don't find it exciting or interesting to see the exact same scenes occurring all these years later primarily because the police cannot control the excessive numbers of away fans you wish to see.

?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Dolman Block B said:

Somewhere in the region of 940 tickets left for sale. 

With WBA selling their 3000  we have to think crowd will be between 24,000 and 25,000 as it stands. 

Be nice to sell all home tickets now though 

I know I keep saying this but City DON'T release all tickets for sale in one go

There will be more than 940 left to buy

On 16/02/2020 at 18:38, Nogbad the Bad said:

They had no choice but to to give us 15% for an F.A. Cup game.

We've been too generous with away allocations in the past, but all that stopped after the Swansea debacle.

I'm actually wondering why we've given WBA 3k instead of our usual 2.7k limit.

Bristol city and generous two words i dont see together im afraid

Is this just a really poorly written article, or is there in fact going to be 25,000 fans in attendance on Saturday? i.e. 23,000 home fans, plus WBA... I think I know which one my money's on! 

----------------

JOHNSON’S BELIEF IN HOME ADVANTAGE
With City set to be backed by at least 23,000 home supporters this weekend, Lee Johnson says the roaring City faithful can play a big part in making the difference.

City entertain Sky Bet Championship leaders West Brom on Saturday (February 22nd, 3pm KO).

City ran out 3-2 winners over Derby County in BS3 two weeks ago – a display which saw City at their attacking best and defend resolutely to grind out the result - and it’s that level of performance which Johnson wants to see echoed on Saturday.

Head Coach Johnson said: “It’s good to come home after a particularly entertaining game against Derby. We need to be in that environment and be at their very best to win this football match.

“It’s another big game! The fact that West Brom are flying high at the top end of the league, they’ve had a fantastic season and added and developed both on and off the pitch after a good year last season. I think they’re powerful all over the pitch and we have to stand up to it really well. We have quality and believe in that quality.”

Johnson also wants City to play with identity and knows his squad can perform off the back off an encouraging home support.

Talking about the supporters, Johnson continued: “There’s no doubt that when they’re strong, positive and in great spirits it does transcend into the players. It helps when you’re 3-0 up but the impressive bit regarding our fans was the spell after Derby scored their second, where they really encouraged and stuck with the boys.

“That is key against a team with the top quality because you know they are only a lapse of concentration away from scoring again, so we’ve got to stay concentrated against the top sides and any help we can get from the fans is greatly appreciated.”

On 18/02/2020 at 20:23, phantom said:

I know I keep saying this but City DON'T release all tickets for sale in one go

There will be more than 940 left to buy

Yep

Not noticed anyone mooching about after a ticket so far which happens a fair bit this season.

Should be the biggest crowd of the season all things considered though so a bit surprised at current take up.

Archived