IGNORED

Music Bristol City have run out to

joeheadland1

Hello everyone,

I hope this is okay to post here – if not, moderators please move or delete as appropriate.

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris
Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine
articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and
replica shirts (see, for example
sportingstatues.com, and
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460263.2019.1578255).

Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

We are looking for the music that Bristol City have run out to for as
many seasons in the past as you can recall. We are simply interested in
the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons
Bristol City ran out to this. Any help you can give us to
piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would
be hugely appreciated.

If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs
being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any
questions, please let us know!  We would be very happy to discuss the
project.

Thanks for your time guys,

Joe Headland

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

We ran out to some strange piano music a lot in the 80s.

I recall us running out to republica, sadly too ready too go.

Best run out music, london calling by the clash at millwall.

Republica, ready to go - quality tune.

My favourite of ours is Battle without honour or humanity - Tomoyasu Hotei

Another one in recent seasons is Kashmir, but I don't think it's the original Led Zeppelin version of the song.

I can't even think what song we use this season? Is it Seven Nation Army by White Stripes?

My favourite of other teams that I know of is Newcastle's Local Boy by Dire Straits.

EDIT. Im not actually sure if some of those were played as the players were running out or just songs in build up to a game!

3 hours ago, joeheadland1 said:

Hello everyone,

I hope this is okay to post here – if not, moderators please move or delete as appropriate.

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris
Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine
articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and
replica shirts (see, for example
sportingstatues.com, and
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460263.2019.1578255).

Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

We are looking for the music that Bristol City have run out to for as
many seasons in the past as you can recall. We are simply interested in
the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons
Bristol City ran out to this. Any help you can give us to
piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would
be hugely appreciated.

If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs
being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any
questions, please let us know!  We would be very happy to discuss the
project.

Thanks for your time guys,

Joe Headland

Could be a bit wrong on the rough seasons, but off the top of my head since I've been going regularly..

2004? - 2005ish (post away fixture only) - Boys are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy

2005 (probably before that too, but that's when I started watching games) - 2006 - One for the Bristol City (Original Mix) - The Wurzels

2006 - 2019 - William Tell Overture (Horn introduction only) into One For the Bristol City - The Wurzels (2006? mix)

2019 - Present - Galvanize - Chemical Brothers into Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes (Which I will add is the worst introduction music we've ever had. Nice work Kevin Mincher)

@Tim S - think that's about right but might have differed slightly over the years. 

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Could be a bit wrong on the rough seasons, but off the top of my head since I've been going regularly..

2005 (probably before that too, but that's when I started watching games) - 2006 - One for the Bristol City (Original Mix) - The Wurzels

2006 - 2019 - William Tell Overture (Horn introduction only) into One For the Bristol City - The Wurzels (2006? mix)

2019 - Present - Galvanize - Chemical Brothers into Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes (Which I will add is the worst introduction music we've ever had. Nice work Kevin Mincher)

@Tim S - think that's about right but might have differed slightly over the years. 

I’m with you with White Stripes. I don’t care if the players chose it or not. 

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I’m with you with White Stripes. I don’t care if the players chose it or not. 

Yep it's a really bad choice. I doubt the players give much of a toss really, I bet they were given a choice of 5 songs maybe (no doubt cliched ones like the Rocky Theme) and had to choose one. 

The teams coming out from the tunnel is a moment for the fans really, the players should already be pumped up after leaving the dressing room and in theory should be so in the zone that they don't even really process the music.

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Didn’t we come out to liquidator for a bit when Jody Morris was here, think he requested it to McInnes.

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

We ran out to some strange piano music a lot in the 80s.

I recall us running out to republica, sadly too ready too go.

Best run out music, london calling by the clash at millwall.

I think the "strange piano music" was "When the Red Red Robin" by Russ Conway (who was a Bristolian). Conway was regularly in the top 20 in the late 50's and early 60's and a regular guest on TV shows at the time. That record was played from when I started watching them in 1970 through all the 1st Division years and onto the 80's. "Drink up thee cider", the original Adge Cutler version was also played once the team were on the pitch during that period.

Here's the Russ Conway song: 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Relegation battle in 2011/12 - Knights of Cydonia - Muse? Though that might have been the song prior to the Horns...

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

On a more serious note. The Liquidator in the 90’s?

And 70s and 80s -  my favourite. It gets played about 10mins before ko most games. Not sure why they bother as nobody takes much notice of pre match music.

Its when the teams come out that really matters.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Didn’t we come out to liquidator for a bit when Jody Morris was here, think he requested it to McInnes.

We played Wolves away one year and that was the entry music used. The players reportedly said how much they liked it and wanted that music at The Gate.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I think the "strange piano music" was "When the Red Red Robin" by Russ Conway (who was a Bristolian). Conway was regularly in the top 20 in the late 50's and early 60's and a regular guest on TV shows at the time. That record was played from when I started watching them in 1970 through all the 1st Division years and onto the 80's. "Drink up thee cider", the original Adge Cutler version was also played once the team were on the pitch during that period.

Here's the Russ Conway song: 

Blimey, that brings some memories back. Thanks AF. 

One Vision - Queen. I seem to remember this for some reason from maybe early 00's, possibly a half time thing rather than the start of the match though.

There was another song we used to play coming out for the 2nd half at a similar time but the song annoyingly escapes me.  

Archived