IGNORED

West Brom v City March 17th 1976 were you there?

Never to the dark side

35 minutes ago, NickJ said:

A depressing thought but the only consolation of that is some of us of a certain age witnessed some of the finest, incredible, story book City away trips (Leeds FA Cup '74, Coventry to stay up '77).

I was about 14 years old for the West Brom game, went in a mini bus with my dad and his mates, the atmosphere was electric and as NTTDS says it was like the Alamo, but after that game we just knew City were returning to the top division for the first time in 60 odd years.

If it’s any consolation Nick, always had you down as my age. 

I remember a sequence of them hitting the woodwork 2 or 3 times in a row but the ball somehow stayed out, it was one of those nights when luck was on our side. WBA had a Scottish winger Willie Johnstone in those days who always got loads of stick from our fans and usually had a shocker when they played us.

It was good in those days (as others have remarked) that you could pull into the services or a pub on the way home and the team coach was there! Players were also often present in the old supporters club bar in the Williams stand after a game.

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

So you went to West Brom, wow. All that way up the M5. Well done. What dew want - a medal? Who went to Sunderland then - other than @Never to the dark side?

Exactly....

Mate... Did you leave your PC unattended? Looks like your account has been hacked by some sad ******** who knows f@ck all about our club or our history... What a *****, assuming he's one of us I wonder what games he'll recall from this season in 44 years time when he's 52?

BTW. I was there as a 17 year old and it was frickin brilliant... Well until just after the final whistle when we were being showered with glass and coins from all those brummies who ran across the pitch before then realsing that we were parked at the wrong end of the ground away from all the City coaches... Head down, scarf around waist underneath the jacket and  attempt at sad face on...  Sweeeeneey!

7 hours ago, FNQ said:

Mate... Did you leave your PC unattended? Looks like your account has been hacked by some sad ******** who knows f@ck all about our club or our history... What a *****, assuming he's one of us I wonder what games he'll recall from this season in 44 years time when he's 52?

BTW. I was there as a 17 year old and it was frickin brilliant... Well until just after the final whistle when we were being showered with glass and coins from all those brummies who ran across the pitch before then realsing that we were parked at the wrong end of the ground away from all the City coaches... Head down, scarf around waist underneath the jacket and  attempt at sad face on...  Sweeeeneey!

Rovers took more there that season....

I was there as an 11 year old with my Cousins and Uncle. I remember we had to practice a Brummie accent on the way up as we might be standing in the home end. I can’t remember if it was the home end we were in but we were surrounded by very noisy City fans and it was great. Same result this Saturday please. A goal from our Right Back would be unlikely though. 
Just to add my Uncle who drove  that night is now 85 and still cycles from Bradley Stoke to every home game ! 

Anybody remember seeing a navy land crab parked on the hard shoulder close to the M5 junction for the Hawthorns? Junction 2 I believe... Lolz.

I wrote about it in a previous match day. Dad and elder bro went and the big end packed up on the old bar steward. They had to walk to the ground. Just left the car as no time to organise a pick up... Marvellous. Dad always got his priorities right!!.. superb.

I expect Mum said I was too young to go. Sussen fussen gussen.. ?

An incredible match played in an unbelievable atmosphere. Still my lasting memory is of driving away from the ground and reaching the roundabout by the motorway junction to be greeted by a line of about twenty coppers wearing high viz, stood in a line whilst in exact unison, waving their arms to direct us onto the slip road. They looked like a uniformed Stylistics. Drove quickly back to our local cricket club where the bar stayed open long past “time gentlemen please”. What a match. 

Top 10 ever away games for most who could get there 

We used to take loads to the midlands big games whereas these days we didnt even sell out half that end. Twas always thus we'd travel in numbers for midland and London big league games but only take numbers up north for Cup games. If (big IF) we win on Saturday, watch our numbers for Yorkshire on Tuesday 

"Those were the days my friend... we took the Stretford end, we took the Shed, the North Bank Highbury" - or so the song went! 

Well i was only 14 then and remember it well. Oh you must be older than me then. My dad  took me up in his Austin Cambridge and the boot lock didn’t close the boot . We had to tie it closed with a couple of City scarves. I have great memories of those years and away at Coventry as well. Just wondering what the average age group is for OTIB as the majority of us now seem old farts 

Archived