IGNORED

How The Flip Do We Beat WBA?!

mozo

Only 4 teams have beaten them in the league this season, although three of those came since 29th December. 

Cardiff the last team to beat them, via a Tomlin free kick winner.

But how do we do it? Take the game to them? Play on the counter a la WR Derby County win?

How do we stop Livermore running the show? 

Any ideas we can pass on to the management team?

They've switched to a 4-3-3 after playing most of the season in a 4-2-3-1 formation. 

Last two games they've gone with this. 

Johnstone

O'Shea, Ajayi, Bartley, Townsend

Livermore, Sawyers, Krovinovic

Pereira, Robson-Kanu, Robinson

Diangana has been injured, he was class against us at their place, hopefully he misses this one as well. 

They've got quality on the bench with Charlie Austin & Matt Phillips.

Whoscored has them down as being weak at defending set pieces, perhaps this should be our focus Saturday.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1381790/Show/England-Championship-2019-2020-Bristol-City-West-Bromwich-Albion

Could certainly do with Benkovic starting this one to mark Ajayi at set-pieces & be a threat in their box as well. 

47 minutes ago, mozo said:

Only 4 teams have beaten them in the league this season, although three of those came since 29th December. 

But how do we do it? Take the game to them? Play on the counter a la WR Derby County win?

Get into them and....

How about...a repeat of the last home game vs them?

We blitzed, absolutely blitzed them early. Personnel has changed but it has for them too- I believe they are similar to if not weaker than they were last April- certainly up top, but on the flipside Bilic is quite an upgrade on Moore, let alone Shan.

I think we have to be brave and yes it can't be a complete repeat but we have to be brave and get the crowd up- weren't we 3 up within the 1st 15-20 mins?? I still don't think they are the best defensively.

I think they are more fallible defensively than Leeds- they can be got at a bit more.

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

This reminds me of when we played them in 2010. They were going for automatic then and we were outside the play-offs

Danny Haynes had a great game that day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8524204.stm

It can be done. Especially at home. Always Believe.

Best game Haynes had for us that day. Almost felt sorry for Joe Mattock!

I'm all for the possession but this feels like could be useful for an aggressive counterpressing game.

Press them but in key areas- not conceding the ball as much as v Derby but aim at say high 30's-mid 40's % possession wise and look to spring them- they are vulnerable in some ways and they don't have Gayle and Rodriguez up top. We should be brave but not gung ho or excessively risky.

Whether we win or not, I do fancy LJ to get a reaction out of the side Saturday.

Firstly we must believe that we can win , this is West Brom we’re talking about. They’re good but not unbeatable.

Secondly we must want it more . Refuse to be beaten at our home. Take our chance to show the rest of the division that we are serious contenders.

Probably , most important of all , is that Bristol Rob goes out for several smokes during the game. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Score more than them 

18 minutes ago, Super said:

Can't see us playing 4-4-2 that would be a big mistake.

Agreed. It would.

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I can see us playing ANYTHING. Because let's face it, we have tried every system under the sun and often during a single game.

Genuine 4-3-3 aside. Which ironically I think could suit us rather well.

Which DOESN'T include Paterson, Palmer or even O'Dowda as one of those 3, from a balance and stability POV.

51 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Get into them and....

...**** 'em up.

That'll be a good start.

Individual battles all over the pitch were lost last saturday and that can't happen this saturday - we won't get away with 0-1 again.

Into them right from the off.

57 minutes ago, Riaz said:

This reminds me of when we played them in 2010. They were going for automatic then and we were outside the play-offs

Danny Haynes had a great game that day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8524204.stm

It can be done. Especially at home. Always Believe.

And I quote, "Johnson has only just returned from a loan spell at Derby and provided a telling contribution to help ease the pressure on his father and manager Gary."

1 hour ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

It's quite simple, we just have to score at least 1 more goal than they do.

Why weren't you in the dressing room on Saturday?!

33 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Score more than them 

That'll never work...

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We beat them the same way as last season.

That was down to putting Webster in midfield, completely threw them. We need to apply the same intensity like last season, that won us the game. Start like we have pretty much all season and it could be all over for us by HT. 

They are very well organised, but quite a dogged side, not at all like West Brom teams of the past.  They are vulnerable at set pieces.  A friend of mine is a West Brom fan and he has been predicting that the bubble will burst all season, but has been impressed how they’ve kept on grinding out narrow victories (excep over the new year, when they had a pretty poor run).  I think the answer has to be to play as we did against Derby, as Benkovic and Hendrickson will scare them at set pieces. Everyone has to be on their game, and we could do with a large dollop of good LUCK.  Simple really.

12 minutes ago, Negan said:

That was down to putting Webster in midfield, completely threw them. We need to apply the same intensity like last season, that won us the game. Start like we have pretty much all season and it could be all over for us by HT. 

Indeed - very smart move by LJ. 

Archived