IGNORED

How The Flip Do We Beat WBA?!

mozo

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

Go at them from the off. If we end up losing at least we had a go. 

This! Stuff the over respectful stuff. Yes, they're a good side but so are we. 

I could accept a defeat if we had a right go for a change. I think most would in all honesty. 

go for it City! 

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Only 4 teams have beaten them in the league this season, although three of those came since 29th December. 

Cardiff the last team to beat them, via a Tomlin free kick winner.

But how do we do it? Take the game to them? Play on the counter a la WR Derby County win?

How do we stop Livermore running the show? 

Any ideas we can pass on to the management team?

Cheat.

One things for sure, we need to be smart.  Every time Livermore cynically commits a foul to break our flow (believe me, it will be multiple occasions), we need to get in the refs ear and tell him the count.  And that’s just the niggly stuff.  Likely to leave his foot in, go in high, etc as well during the 90.  Get him on a yellow it reduces his effectiveness.  He’s Sawyers protector, he stops transition which expose Sawyers lack of defensive ability.

What a difference...

WBA CHARACTERISTICS

Finishing scoring chances
Very Strong
Coming back from losing positions
Very Strong
Creating scoring chances
Strong
Attacking down the wings
Strong
Creating long shot opportunities
Strong
Creating chances using through balls
Strong
Creating chances through individual skill
Strong

Defending against long shots
Weak
Defending set pieces
Weak
Stopping opponents from creating chances
Weak
Avoiding fouling in dangerous areas
Weak

West Bromwich Albion's Style of Play

• Possession football
  • Control the game in the opposition's half
  • Attack through the middle
  • Short passes
  • Attempt through balls often
  • Opponents play aggressively against them

CITY CHARACTERISTICS

Finishing scoring chances
Very Strong
Attacking down the wings
Very Strong
Creating chances using through balls
Strong
Stealing the ball from the opposition
Strong

Keeping possession of the ball
Weak
Stopping opponents from creating chances
Weak
Defending against long shots
Weak
Protecting the lead
Weak
Defending counter attacks
Weak
Avoiding individual errors
Weak

Bristol City's Style of Play

• Attempt through balls often
  • Attack through the middle
  • Attacking down the right
  • Long balls
  • Rotate their first eleven
  • Playing in their own half
  • Non-aggressive

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Fortis fortuna adiuvat  

Is he available on a free? Har har ?

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

One things for sure, we need to be smart.  Every time Livermore cynically commits a foul to break our flow (believe me, it will be multiple occasions), we need to get in the refs ear and tell him the count.  And that’s just the niggly stuff.  Likely to leave his foot in, go in high, etc as well during the 90.  Get him on a yellow it reduces his effectiveness.  He’s Sawyers protector, he stops transition which expose Sawyers lack of defensive ability.

I really don't rate their attackers but all about their midfield.

I guess Henriksen has to be the screen in front of defence, but also combatting Livermore's physicality.

Then Korey to stay tight to Sawyers?

Can we play Wells and Fam? 

Can we play Weimann and Elliasson?!

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

Is he available on a free? Har har ?

I really don't rate their attackers but all about their midfield.

I guess Henriksen has to be the screen in front of defence, but also combatting Livermore's physicality.

Then Korey to stay tight to Sawyers?

Can we play Wells and Fam? 

Can we play Weimann and Elliasson?!

I think we have to see Fam and Nahki together at home.  We either go wingbacks to facilitate that (I wouldn’t personally) or we play a 442 variant, but the wide midfielder on the opposite side to the ball gas to come inside, play narrow and make it a transitional three.  They need to do it quickly and be prepared for the switch, where the wideman who’s been tucked in, now becomes the wide midfielder, and everyone shifts across again.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we have to see Fam and Nahki together at home.  We either go wingbacks to facilitate that (I wouldn’t personally) or we play a 442 variant, but the wide midfielder on the opposite side to the ball gas to come inside, play narrow and make it a transitional three.  They need to do it quickly and be prepared for the switch, where the wideman who’s been tucked in, now becomes the wide midfielder, and everyone shifts across again.

Brownhills with his skillset could've been perfect for the wide right in the 4-4-2...able to play wide RM and CM. Don't think we have a real natural fit for that now though. I mean we have some who could be okay in that role, but natural?

Possibly go O'Dowda from a tactical POV, as he can run at opposition both our wide and on the break in the middle perhaps. 

3 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

For me, the game will be won and lost in the midfield. If we sit back at home (again), we are done for.

If we dictate and press them via midfield, we have a chance. They are defo beatable IMO.

4-3-3 do you think?

Definitely think we'd need that platform. Agree we must be positive, they maybe top but in a lot of ways I rate Leeds and in some ways Brentford as tougher.

Last season, 3-0 in the first 20!

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Shame we ain't got Adam Webster in midfield again! What a game he had there last season.

Really need Korey back for this one.

For 20-30 minutes he was fantastic....before rookie manager James Shan realised we’d gone 4222.  After that it was edge of the seat stuff, and although we did spring a few counter-attacks we just held on.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Read that WBA have  started playing 4-3-3. Dunno if it's temporary. 

Strong midfield as others say. Livermore and Sawyers, Krovinovic can come inside, Pereira AND Diangana but they're wide aren't they?

Diangana’s hamstring injury has forced a switch.  Pereira now playing wider than behind HRK.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For 20-30 minutes he was fantastic....before rookie manager James Shan realised we’d gone 4222.  After that it was edge of the seat stuff, and although we did spring a few counter-attacks we just held on.

I recall DaSilva hitting the post at 3-1 I think could've settled it, wonder if we might see the 4-2-2-2 again...LJ likes to throw the odd curveball.

Definitely though the end was tense.

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep. It was very fluid 4222, with Pack getting forward quite a bit and all the others moving around a lot.

They got their 2 goals back when we'd gone a more solid looking 4141 second half.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Reckon the club might get in trouble if 20,000 people crowded the ref every time. I'll leave that job to the players.

Archived