IGNORED

Why do WE want to be promoted?

Negan

After reading something on twitter about how the Championship is the best league in the world, which is an opinion I strongly agree with, it was funny seeing the likes of Southampton/Villa/Norwich/Watford etc fans also agree and how they "miss" the division. Now that could be down to those teams being too good for the league and usually winning most games and ultimately promotion when they are in it. Which got me thinking, why do we as Bristol City fans want to be promoted? because if we are the likelyhood is we'll lose the majority of our premier league games and be favourites for relegation pretty much every season we're there, and also we'd probably not see us compete at the top of the table. If we did (like Sheffield united currently) it would likely be only for a season. Where as in the championship we are a biggish team who compete for promotion and win the majority of our games. I know it's ambition for a lot of our fanbase, and if you're of the age like myself, you haven't seen this club at the top level of English football. That's probably my biggest reason for us to get promoted, because I haven't seen city in the prem, but when that happens will we feel the same as the current fan bases in the bottom half of the PL and miss championship football? As a fan we literally sit on our asses watching football, so wouldn't you want to see us competing/winning, rather than be in Norwich's position right now? Yes it would be great when you pull off a shock, so is that one of the reasons for promotion? The money the club would make, wouldn't really benefit me or you, if anything prices would increase and tickets harder to come by due to demand... Maybe I'm the only one but if we we're to be promoted I'd miss the championship quite a lot. 

The chance of doing what Sheffield Utd are doing, Leicester won the premier league in their second season back in the division after 10 seasons of second tier football, Wolves are currently pushing for Europa league football if not champions league football and we were competing with them no more than 2 seasons ago. While success in the top tier is unlikely its by no means impossible and we should be pushing for it. Worst case scenario of going up is you come straight back down which if you're sensible with the finances sets you up to be a strong force in the championship and therefore fun to watch by being more successful again when you come down.

The club would get to play top PL clubs every league match - hell, I might restart going to every away match. 
It’s a long time since I’ve been to Anfield, Goodison, and have yet to visit the new Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham new homes.

Personally I’d love it even if we got stuffed most weeks. 

It's why I believe some fans will want LJ out even if we go up and stay there. They'll be fed up with us losing games. Even if we win enough to stay up. People that say the prem is the promised Land and that's all they want, they will still moan even when we get there. Because it's probably not as good as they imagine it is, unless we were to do a Sheffield United.

You get it right when you say that really the fans of Villa/Norwich etc miss winning rather than the division itself. I am sure that few Sheffield Utd fans (as an example) would say that they miss the Championship and miss going to Rotherham away.

With that in mind some of the main reasons I want us to be promoted are so that I:

• can join in fully with conversations with the multitude of Wolves, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs and Liverpool fans that I am friends with;
  • can enjoy more coverage of Bristol City in the mainstream press/podcasts (not pretending we'd get the 5 daily articles and 15 minute discussions the top 6 enjoy, but we'd get more than we do now); and
  • can see how we fare - atm I think we'd trouble the Derby 11 point record BUT we might be pleasantly surprised and somehow do well - frankly that would be awesome.

20 minutes ago, Negan said:

After reading something on twitter about how the Championship is the best league in the world, which is an opinion I strongly agree with, it was funny seeing the likes of Southampton/Villa/Norwich/Watford etc fans also agree and how they "miss" the division. Now that could be down to those teams being too good for the league and usually winning most games and ultimately promotion when they are in it. Which got me thinking, why do we as Bristol City fans want to be promoted? because if we are the likelyhood is we'll lose the majority of our premier league games and be favourites for relegation pretty much every season we're there, and also we'd probably not see us compete at the top of the table. If we did (like Sheffield united currently) it would likely be only for a season. Where as in the championship we are a biggish team who compete for promotion and win the majority of our games. I know it's ambition for a lot of our fanbase, and if you're of the age like myself, you haven't seen this club at the top level of English football. That's probably my biggest reason for us to get promoted, because I haven't seen city in the prem, but when that happens will we feel the same as the current fan bases in the bottom half of the PL and miss championship football? As a fan we literally sit on our asses watching football, so wouldn't you want to see us competing/winning, rather than be in Norwich's position right now? Yes it would be great when you pull off a shock, so is that one of the reasons for promotion? The money the club would make, wouldn't really benefit me or you, if anything prices would increase and tickets harder to come by due to demand... Maybe I'm the only one but if we we're to be promoted I'd miss the championship quite a lot. 

We want to be promoted so we can benefit from the parachute payments when we are relegated again. I don't care if we are a yo yo team for a few seasons and then do a Burnley. The financial rewards are too high to ignore.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's why I believe some fans will want LJ out even if we go up and stay there. They'll be fed up with us losing games. Even if we win enough to stay up. People that say the prem is the promised Land and that's all they want, they will still moan even when we get there. Because it's probably not as good as they imagine it is, unless we were to do a Sheffield United.

Then the Europa League becomes the "promised land".

Then the Champions League becomes the "promised land".

Then the knock-out stages become the "promised land".

Then you get so used to winning that you're basically a Real Madrid fan and are essentially a pillock.

It's a good question.

To benefit from parachute payments - definitely. But for that to be most advantageous (ie to then rebuild in the Championship) we would have to endure a season like the one that Norwich are currently suffering.

Whatever anyone says about them being okay getting hammered week in, week out, there is absolutely no way that most fans would accept that situation. Think of the clamour for January signings this year (and in previous years) and magnify it ten times.

The manager or first team coach would probably pay the price because it takes a certain amount of nerve to stay with someone for 38 league games at the bottom end of the Premier League.

Although I would love to see us promoted, I think it would be a divisive and poisonous season unless we scraped fourth from bottom.

As the years go by without City having made an appearance in the Prem the more chance we have of disappearing as a club .

If you are not going forward you are retreating in sport . 

If the Prem divide into two divisions, as has been mooted, would we make the cut ?

We risk to be cast adrift as a nonentity as our history doesn’t scream ‘ top level club ‘ . 

We could end up as the Celtic of a lower league system, too big for the likes of Yeovil and Forest Green but excluded from the big leagues . 

We need promotion and we need it soon. Whether we stay up or not isn’t that important . It’s getting the monkey off our backs and having the belief that we can get there.

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

As the years go by without City having made an appearance in the Prem the more chance we have of disappearing as a club .

If you are not going forward you are retreating in sport . 

If the Prem divide into two divisions, as has been mooted, would we make the cut ?

We risk to be cast adrift as a nonentity as our history doesn’t scream ‘ top level club ‘ . 

We could end up as the Celtic of a lower league system, too big for the likes of Yeovil and Forest Green but excluded from the big leagues . 

We need promotion and we need it soon. Whether we stay up or not isn’t that important . It’s getting the monkey off our backs and having the belief that we can get there.

All well and good Major but the current set up seem to lack the belief to win championship matches.

It's a catch 22. 

Most of my friends who follow Prem teams say when they were in the Championship it was more fun.

Being a Baggies fan has surely got to be the most fun...never a dull moment.

For me I'd love to see City playing abroad, even if they brought back the Anglo Italian Cup ?

Would love to be flying out to some weird eastern European destination. ?

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's a catch 22. 

Most of my friends who follow Prem teams say when they were in the Championship it was more fun.

Being a Baggies fan has surely got to be the most fun...never a dull moment.

For me I'd love to see City playing abroad, even if they brought back the Anglo Italian Cup ?

Would love to be flying out to some weird eastern European destination. ?

They do flights to Yatton ?

1 hour ago, hodge said:

The chance of doing what Sheffield Utd are doing, Leicester won the premier league in their second season back in the division after 10 seasons of second tier football, Wolves are currently pushing for Europa league football if not champions league football and we were competing with them no more than 2 seasons ago. While success in the top tier is unlikely its by no means impossible and we should be pushing for it. Worst case scenario of going up is you come straight back down which if you're sensible with the finances sets you up to be a strong force in the championship and therefore fun to watch by being more successful again when you come down.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The club would get to play top PL clubs every league match - hell, I might restart going to every away match. 
It’s a long time since I’ve been to Anfield, Goodison, and have yet to visit the new Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham new homes.

@vicky10 why the “aubergine” emojis?

I think like the OP was saying, I’ve never seen us in the top flight. So would be great to see the big teams at the gate every week.

Financially it would be great too.

Although the games on Saturday 3pm KO would be very few and far between, even worse than the Championship for awkward KO times. 

• Admin

Why do we want to be promoted?

Only one reason for me, I want to see City win every game, I’m sure the players and Manager want to win every game.  Without that, any professional or even serious amateur club might as well lock the stadium gates on the way out and wrap it in.

The are potential delights and horrors from getting promoted, but we’ll deal with those like we deal with all the other trials and tribulations being a City fan brings,

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Agreed. I think the Prem has changed a lot since the 90s and 2000s when it seemed to be that pretty much any club getting promoted into it was, unless they were a West Ham/Newcastle biggish type of club,  viewed as likely to get relegated.  The occasional "small" clubs to go up such as Swindon and Barnsley went straight back down, Bradford City managed to pull off a miracle and survive for 2 seasons.  

Somewhere along the line the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, Palace and Burnley got up there and got established.  I think the so called "top six" Mancs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs have pulled away (not so much this season) and the rest are much of a muchness.  

If we were to go up, we are so unpredictable that we are just as likely to do a Sheffield United or Wolves, as we are to do a Norwich. The fun would be watching us having a go in the best League we can be in.  And if it went pear shaped, the financial incentive with parachute payments would help us trying to get back, although they don't seem to have done Sunderland, Stoke or Huddersfield much good.

But, as another who has great memories of the late 70s in the 1st Division, I just want to see us in the top flight again, as you do.  To be honest I find it difficult to understand any fan who does not want it.

14 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

What you cant see posters on here asking for totally unrealistic targets?

Fulham spent millions on an almost brand new set of players when they got promoted and despite the expenditure came straight back down.

No time for the new signings to gel, learn each other’s game and bond as a squad - it even got mentioned on MotD.

4 hours ago, Negan said:

Eh? We haven’t won the majority of our games this season, and we didn’t win the majority of our games last season and we didn’t win the majority of our games the season before last season .... etc ... I know a lot of City fans who aren’t in a hurry to be promoted - but that doesn’t mean they can’t be critical of stuff surrounding our club ...

28 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Agreed. I think the Prem has changed a lot since the 90s and 2000s when it seemed to be that pretty much any club getting promoted into it was, unless they were a West Ham/Newcastle biggish type of club,  viewed as likely to get relegated.  The occasional "small" clubs to go up such as Swindon and Barnsley went straight back down, Bradford City managed to pull off a miracle and survive for 2 seasons.  

Somewhere along the line the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, Palace and Burnley got up there and got established.  I think the so called "top six" Mancs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs have pulled away (not so much this season) and the rest are much of a muchness.  

If we were to go up, we are so unpredictable that we are just as likely to do a Sheffield United or Wolves, as we are to do a Norwich. The fun would be watching us having a go in the best League we can be in.  And if it went pear shaped, the financial incentive with parachute payments would help us trying to get back, although they don't seem to have done Sunderland, Stoke or Huddersfield much good.

But, as another who has great memories of the late 70s in the 1st Division, I just want to see us in the top flight again, as you do.  To be honest I find it difficult to understand any fan who does not want it.

I dont think any of the teams you mentioned are established to be honest, Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, Palace and Burnley, any of them could come back down anytime, Watford and Bournemouth possibly this season. Brighton could easily have sunk last season and only had a point more than us I think in the end.   swansea and stoke thought they were established also. 
I think it’s worth it to see your club play at the big grounds, maybe get a win like we did at old Trafford last season, but generally you need a lot of stars to align for you, a wealthy owner, good manager and very astute recruitment. 
I think most clubs have a 60/70 million wage bill at least so you have to be able to offload players should you go down, so buying the right ones is crucial. No reason why a city like Bristol shouldn’t have some time in the sunshine so to speak, look at some of the city’s that have recently or still do. 
to break into the top 10 and stay there I reckon you are looking at spending like Everton and West Ham, 150/200 million pound wage bill. A massive gamble for many.  I winder what wolves wage bill is now considering they lost 75 million the season they went up due to high wages etc.....

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Fulham spent millions on an almost brand new set of players when they got promoted and despite the expenditure came straight back down.

No time for the new signings to gel, learn each other’s game and bond as a squad - it even got mentioned on MotD.

I agree with you But there would be some on here thinking SL should go out break the bank

Archived