IGNORED

Why do WE want to be promoted?

Negan

To not want to be promoted shows a massive lack of ambition. It also means you’d have to be hoping for us to lose games.

I have happy memories of us in League One and playing in the JPT. Would I ever want to go back there? Not for a ****ing second!

The Prem would be hard. We may well lose and lose a lot. But it should always be where we want to be, because we should want our team to be up there with the big boys.

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

I dont think any of the teams you mentioned are established to be honest, Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, Palace and Burnley, any of them could come back down anytime, Watford and Bournemouth possibly this season. Brighton could easily have sunk last season and only had a point more than us I think in the end.   swansea and stoke thought they were established also. 
I think it’s worth it to see your club play at the big grounds, maybe get a win like we did at old Trafford last season, but generally you need a lot of stars to align for you, a wealthy owner, good manager and very astute recruitment. 
I think most clubs have a 60/70 million wage bill at least so you have to be able to offload players should you go down, so buying the right ones is crucial. No reason why a city like Bristol shouldn’t have some time in the sunshine so to speak, look at some of the city’s that have recently or still do. 
to break into the top 10 and stay there I reckon you are looking at spending like Everton and West Ham, 150/200 million pound wage bill. A massive gamble for many.  I winder what wolves wage bill is now considering they lost 75 million the season they went up due to high wages etc.....

@Montpelierblue

The below are all for Wolves 

IMG_20200218_220504.jpg

IMG_20200218_220448.jpg

IMG_20200218_220432.jpg

IMG_20200218_220407.jpg

IMG_20200218_220357.jpg

IMG_20200218_220333.jpg

IMG_20200218_220322.jpg

33 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

I dont think any of the teams you mentioned are established to be honest, Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, Palace and Burnley, any of them could come back down anytime, Watford and Bournemouth possibly this season. Brighton could easily have sunk last season and only had a point more than us I think in the end.   swansea and stoke thought they were established also. 

I agree with that and was sort of making the point that, whilst the "Top Six" are extremely unlikely to be relegated any time soon, add on to that the Golden Rule of Top Flight Football which states that Everton NEVER get relegated, and pretty much every other team are potential relegation fodder.  Whilst the likes of Leicester have done exceptionally well, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that their bubble could burst in the next few years.  It is quite possible that recently promoted clubs that are now doing well such as Wolves and Sheffield Utd. could struggle in the not too distant future.  

The point I was trying to make, which should give us a measure of hope if we did get promoted, is that their are many clubs in both the Prem and Championship that have experienced both in the past few years, although you would not necessarily class them as "Yo-yo" clubs (some like West Brom clearly are!).

I think my use of the word "established" was a bit strong, perhaps "relatively secure but potentially vulnerable" might be more suitable.

What planet does Robbored live on.. & those all wanting to see City play at the best grounds in England? How the hell do you expect to get tickets as we would probably have 18k ST holders at AG and the average allocation is 2-3k. Prem league would mean those who are loving this spell of away games under LJ (at least two of the best seasons ever) would have to watch on the TV! How is this good? 

Even undesirable places like Luton caused a problem this season so imagine all those newbie fans clamouring for tickets to Tottenham and Liverpool - really horrible. 

Well, I didn't miss a single home game when we were last in the top tier.  I went to a few away games too (Fulham, Tottenham, Villa and especially Coventry). I've not been to a single away game since, though I have to fly to Barcelona every other week to Watch us on RobinsTV nowadays ?

If we screw it up then the parachute payments will make a big difference, but it will be nice to be on match of the Day every week and also piss off the Sags (if they even exist by then)?

We can also dream of doing a Leicester or or being in Europe too.

9 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

If we were to go up, we are so unpredictable that we are just as likely to do a Sheffield United or Wolves, as we are to do a Norwich. The fun would be watching us having a go in the best League we can be in.  And if it went pear shaped, the financial incentive with parachute payments would help us trying to get back, although they don't seem to have done Sunderland, Stoke or Huddersfield much good.

It seems that if you manage to stay there long enough you struggle when you come down. 

Possibly due to the team that originally got promoted are still together. Whilst the longer you’re there those players are replaced by high wages players who jump ship as soon as possible, leaving you with no one other than a rebuild. 

I would love it and hate it to get to the Premier league. Mixing with the big clubs playing against some of the best players in the world. Having higher financial rewards and parachute payments if we fail. Verses having the feeling going into most games expecting to get beat rather than being optimistic. Kick off times  (I’m old school and believe 3pm Saturday is football time) all over the place. 
Would like us to do a Burnley and WBA who bounced around a few years before settling. 

13 hours ago, spudski said:

It's a catch 22. 

Most of my friends who follow Prem teams say when they were in the Championship it was more fun.

Being a Baggies fan has surely got to be the most fun...never a dull moment.

For me I'd love to see City playing abroad, even if they brought back the Anglo Italian Cup ?

Would love to be flying out to some weird eastern European destination. ?

Norwich ? 

8 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

What planet does Robbored live on.. & those all wanting to see City play at the best grounds in England? How the hell do you expect to get tickets as we would probably have 18k ST holders at AG and the average allocation is 2-3k. Prem league would mean those who are loving this spell of away games under LJ (at least two of the best seasons ever) would have to watch on the TV! How is this good? 

Even undesirable places like Luton caused a problem this season so imagine all those newbie fans clamouring for tickets to Tottenham and Liverpool - really horrible. 

We shouldn't dream of going up because it might be harder to get tickets?

I welcome newbie fans, even if it means I struggle to get tickets.  Because that means our club is growing.

I do often wonder if the pain of relegation from this league would be quickly remedied by smashing it in League 1, where we're undoubtedly a very 'big fish', and hopefully winning a 5th third tier title (which would make us the most successful third tier team). I can't hope for it though. Can't comprehend a team wanting relegation or missing the level below. 

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I do often wonder if the pain of relegation from this league would be quickly remedied by smashing it in League 1, where we're undoubtedly a very 'big fish', and hopefully winning a 5th third tier title (which would make us the most successful third tier team). I can't hope for it though. Can't comprehend a team wanting relegation or missing the level below. 

I think we are still the most sucessful club in the Football League Trophy.  Which is great, but I never want to play in it again!

If you aren't aiming to be at the top there is no point in even turning up! Why would any real fan not want to see us in the Prem!

Saying that, watching Norwich, West Ham, Watford & Villa who are at the bottom of the league all have a much better squads and play much better football than us so I don't see us doing well if we did go up! 

Would love us to go up with all the exposure and financial benefits,

but only when we are ready, which being totally outplayed by Leeds suggests we are not. You need to build a team that can be dominant in the Championship that you can add a few players to try and stay up, otherwise you have to chuck so much money at the team with no time to gel or risk getting thumped every week and breaking Derby's low points record. 

I go to watch BCFC and like watching a win or a good game, I don't go do for a love in of the opposition

If we can keep on the year on year improving and raising the level of players we have I can see us doing it in the next few years, but not sure scraping through the playoffs this year would not be good. Having said all of the above, if we get in the position of the play off final, I will not be wishing us to lose

29 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

My wife was in hospital due to complications in connection with the pregnancy of our first. Dutiful husband, I went in to visit her and spent the entire time listening to the commentary on hospital radio!

16 hours ago, Negan said:

After reading something on twitter about how the Championship is the best league in the world, which is an opinion I strongly agree with, it was funny seeing the likes of Southampton/Villa/Norwich/Watford etc fans also agree and how they "miss" the division. Now that could be down to those teams being too good for the league and usually winning most games and ultimately promotion when they are in it. Which got me thinking, why do we as Bristol City fans want to be promoted? because if we are the likelyhood is we'll lose the majority of our premier league games and be favourites for relegation pretty much every season we're there, and also we'd probably not see us compete at the top of the table. If we did (like Sheffield united currently) it would likely be only for a season. Where as in the championship we are a biggish team who compete for promotion and win the majority of our games. I know it's ambition for a lot of our fanbase, and if you're of the age like myself, you haven't seen this club at the top level of English football. That's probably my biggest reason for us to get promoted, because I haven't seen city in the prem, but when that happens will we feel the same as the current fan bases in the bottom half of the PL and miss championship football? As a fan we literally sit on our asses watching football, so wouldn't you want to see us competing/winning, rather than be in Norwich's position right now? Yes it would be great when you pull off a shock, so is that one of the reasons for promotion? The money the club would make, wouldn't really benefit me or you, if anything prices would increase and tickets harder to come by due to demand... Maybe I'm the only one but if we we're to be promoted I'd miss the championship quite a lot. 

Just bringing back the feeling and being proud of being in the top flight is something I always remember from the 70s. The great 1st division teams that visited Ashton gate  and the away games I went to I will always remember. I also remember the tears and frustration of struggling in the 1st division but it was all worth it. Hopefully the young ones in OTIB will get the chance to witness Prem football at the gate.

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

It really wouldn't for me. I prefer it being competitive than us being able to win easily most games at a level we should not really be at.

There are no easy games at our level. If we can keep challenging playoffs, but improve our quality of football in possession, then I know i'd much rather be watching us beat quality teams in style than teams we can beat easily enough even on an off day.

16 hours ago, hodge said:

The chance of doing what Sheffield Utd are doing, Leicester won the premier league in their second season back in the division after 10 seasons of second tier football, Wolves are currently pushing for Europa league football if not champions league football and we were competing with them no more than 2 seasons ago. While success in the top tier is unlikely its by no means impossible and we should be pushing for it. Worst case scenario of going up is you come straight back down which if you're sensible with the finances sets you up to be a strong force in the championship and therefore fun to watch by being more successful again when you come down.

I'd like to see how we coped with Prem football but if we came back down there's a risk we could end up like Sunderland, Huddersfield/Stoke this season and be fighting a relegation battle, that's what happened last time we went up and we ended up in Div 4, there's no guarantee we'd be ok in the Championship following a relegation

25 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Would love us to go up with all the exposure and financial benefits,

but only when we are ready, which being totally outplayed by Leeds suggests we are not. You need to build a team that can be dominant in the Championship that you can add a few players to try and stay up, otherwise you have to chuck so much money at the team with no time to gel or risk getting thumped every week and breaking Derby's low points record. 

I go to watch BCFC and like watching a win or a good game, I don't go do for a love in of the opposition

If we can keep on the year on year improving and raising the level of players we have I can see us doing it in the next few years, but not sure scraping through the playoffs this year would not be good. Having said all of the above, if we get in the position of the play off final, I will not be wishing us to lose

One more season after this one and I think we will be ready. We are not far from building a dominant team in the championship at the moment however we are to in consistent plus I hate to bring it Up again have we the Coach to progress the team. I genuinely think we have and I have been critical of LJ and his tactics but when things settle down and if we do get a good run in play offs and show some guts and glory and we do not get promoted then the next season is ours and plus LJ will have the experience and the backing of all. Still need to get these home performances under our belt which have been wasted in the past 3 or 4 months. 

10 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Well, I didn't miss a single home game when we were last in the top tier.  I went to a few away games too (Fulham, Tottenham, Villa and especially Coventry). I've not been to a single away game since, though I have to fly to Barcelona every other week to Watch us on RobinsTV nowadays ?

If we screw it up then the parachute payments will make a big difference, but it will be nice to be on match of the Day every week and also piss off the Sags (if they even exist by then)?

We can also dream of doing a Leicester or or being in Europe too.

Great post but Fulham weren't in the top tier during our four year stay. Unless we played them, during that time, in the Anglo Scottish Cup. 

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Great post but Fulham weren't in the top tier during our four year stay. Unless we played them, during that time, in the Anglo Scottish Cup. 

You may be right.  Perhaps my trip to the Cottage was for a Div 2 game.  Memory must be playing tricks.  I do remember being scared of being thrown in the river though ?

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Just bringing back the feeling and being proud of being in the top flight is something I always remember from the 70s. The great 1st division teams that visited Ashton gate  and the away games I went to I will always remember. I also remember the tears and frustration of struggling in the 1st division but it was all worth it. Hopefully the young ones in OTIB will get the chance to witness Prem football at the gate.

It would be amazing to see big clubs at Ashton gate every few weeks.

But successive relegations after 4 years in the top division did nearly destroy our club in the early 80s and we spent many years in the footballing wilderness. I appreciate that these are very different times but the price of promotion will be greater uncertainty. How it all plays out might not be to everyone's liking.

I'm starting to hear/read "this wasn't the Brexit I voted for" and I can imagine hearing/reading "this wasn't what I thought would happen after promotion"!! ?

26 minutes ago, Xiled said:

It would be amazing to see big clubs at Ashton gate every few weeks.

But successive relegations after 4 years in the top division did nearly destroy our club in the early 80s and we spent many years in the footballing wilderness. I appreciate that these are very different times but the price of promotion will be greater uncertainty. How it all plays out might not be to everyone's liking.

I'm starting to hear/read "this wasn't the Brexit I voted for" and I can imagine hearing/reading "this wasn't what I thought would happen after promotion"!! ?

Well we have for over fourty years. Lets encourage the young ones that have not experienced top flight football. Ok it might be a quick reversal in 4 or 5 seasons later but think on the bright side we might be a team that floats around mid table in the Prem for the first 4 seasons then excels . 

A lot of interesting posts. Just want to make it clear, I want this club to be promoted. I want us to be playing the elite and holding our own. I don't want us to be a championship side my whole supporting life. I just found it amusing that the fans of the teams who got what they wished for in premier league football, missing the league they were so desperate to be promoted from. As others have pointed out, if we were to be promoted this season, I don't think it would bode well for us in the prem, however id be very happy for us to be a yoyo team like west brom and Norwich. Would always have something going on. 

Archived