Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Negan

Why do WE want to be promoted?

Recommended Posts

After reading something on twitter about how the Championship is the best league in the world, which is an opinion I strongly agree with, it was funny seeing the likes of Southampton/Villa/Norwich/Watford etc fans also agree and how they "miss" the division. Now that could be down to those teams being too good for the league and usually winning most games and ultimately promotion when they are in it. Which got me thinking, why do we as Bristol City fans want to be promoted? because if we are the likelyhood is we'll lose the majority of our premier league games and be favourites for relegation pretty much every season we're there, and also we'd probably not see us compete at the top of the table. If we did (like Sheffield united currently) it would likely be only for a season. Where as in the championship we are a biggish team who compete for promotion and win the majority of our games. I know it's ambition for a lot of our fanbase, and if you're of the age like myself, you haven't seen this club at the top level of English football. That's probably my biggest reason for us to get promoted, because I haven't seen city in the prem, but when that happens will we feel the same as the current fan bases in the bottom half of the PL and miss championship football? As a fan we literally sit on our asses watching football, so wouldn't you want to see us competing/winning, rather than be in Norwich's position right now? Yes it would be great when you pull off a shock, so is that one of the reasons for promotion? The money the club would make, wouldn't really benefit me or you, if anything prices would increase and tickets harder to come by due to demand... Maybe I'm the only one but if we we're to be promoted I'd miss the championship quite a lot. 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The chance of doing what Sheffield Utd are doing, Leicester won the premier league in their second season back in the division after 10 seasons of second tier football, Wolves are currently pushing for Europa league football if not champions league football and we were competing with them no more than 2 seasons ago. While success in the top tier is unlikely its by no means impossible and we should be pushing for it. Worst case scenario of going up is you come straight back down which if you're sensible with the finances sets you up to be a strong force in the championship and therefore fun to watch by being more successful again when you come down.

  • Like 18
  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The club would get to play top PL clubs every league match - hell, I might restart going to every away match. 
It’s a long time since I’ve been to Anfield, Goodison, and have yet to visit the new Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham new homes.

Personally I’d love it even if we got stuffed most weeks. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Aubergine 1
  • Unicorn 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's why I believe some fans will want LJ out even if we go up and stay there. They'll be fed up with us losing games. Even if we win enough to stay up. People that say the prem is the promised Land and that's all they want, they will still moan even when we get there. Because it's probably not as good as they imagine it is, unless we were to do a Sheffield United.

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You get it right when you say that really the fans of Villa/Norwich etc miss winning rather than the division itself. I am sure that few Sheffield Utd fans (as an example) would say that they miss the Championship and miss going to Rotherham away.

With that in mind some of the main reasons I want us to be promoted are so that I:

  • can join in fully with conversations with the multitude of Wolves, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs and Liverpool fans that I am friends with;
  • can enjoy more coverage of Bristol City in the mainstream press/podcasts (not pretending we'd get the 5 daily articles and 15 minute discussions the top 6 enjoy, but we'd get more than we do now); and
  • can see how we fare - atm I think we'd trouble the Derby 11 point record BUT we might be pleasantly surprised and somehow do well - frankly that would be awesome.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Negan said:

After reading something on twitter about how the Championship is the best league in the world, which is an opinion I strongly agree with, it was funny seeing the likes of Southampton/Villa/Norwich/Watford etc fans also agree and how they "miss" the division. Now that could be down to those teams being too good for the league and usually winning most games and ultimately promotion when they are in it. Which got me thinking, why do we as Bristol City fans want to be promoted? because if we are the likelyhood is we'll lose the majority of our premier league games and be favourites for relegation pretty much every season we're there, and also we'd probably not see us compete at the top of the table. If we did (like Sheffield united currently) it would likely be only for a season. Where as in the championship we are a biggish team who compete for promotion and win the majority of our games. I know it's ambition for a lot of our fanbase, and if you're of the age like myself, you haven't seen this club at the top level of English football. That's probably my biggest reason for us to get promoted, because I haven't seen city in the prem, but when that happens will we feel the same as the current fan bases in the bottom half of the PL and miss championship football? As a fan we literally sit on our asses watching football, so wouldn't you want to see us competing/winning, rather than be in Norwich's position right now? Yes it would be great when you pull off a shock, so is that one of the reasons for promotion? The money the club would make, wouldn't really benefit me or you, if anything prices would increase and tickets harder to come by due to demand... Maybe I'm the only one but if we we're to be promoted I'd miss the championship quite a lot. 

We want to be promoted so we can benefit from the parachute payments when we are relegated again. I don't care if we are a yo yo team for a few seasons and then do a Burnley. The financial rewards are too high to ignore.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's why I believe some fans will want LJ out even if we go up and stay there. They'll be fed up with us losing games. Even if we win enough to stay up. People that say the prem is the promised Land and that's all they want, they will still moan even when we get there. Because it's probably not as good as they imagine it is, unless we were to do a Sheffield United.

Then the Europa League becomes the "promised land".

Then the Champions League becomes the "promised land".

Then the knock-out stages become the "promised land".

Then you get so used to winning that you're basically a Real Madrid fan and are essentially a pillock.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good question.

To benefit from parachute payments - definitely. But for that to be most advantageous (ie to then rebuild in the Championship) we would have to endure a season like the one that Norwich are currently suffering.

Whatever anyone says about them being okay getting hammered week in, week out, there is absolutely no way that most fans would accept that situation. Think of the clamour for January signings this year (and in previous years) and magnify it ten times.

The manager or first team coach would probably pay the price because it takes a certain amount of nerve to stay with someone for 38 league games at the bottom end of the Premier League.

Although I would love to see us promoted, I think it would be a divisive and poisonous season unless we scraped fourth from bottom.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the years go by without City having made an appearance in the Prem the more chance we have of disappearing as a club .

If you are not going forward you are retreating in sport . 

If the Prem divide into two divisions, as has been mooted, would we make the cut ?

We risk to be cast adrift as a nonentity as our history doesn’t scream ‘ top level club ‘ . 

We could end up as the Celtic of a lower league system, too big for the likes of Yeovil and Forest Green but excluded from the big leagues . 
 

We need promotion and we need it soon. Whether we stay up or not isn’t that important . It’s getting the monkey off our backs and having the belief that we can get there.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

As the years go by without City having made an appearance in the Prem the more chance we have of disappearing as a club .

If you are not going forward you are retreating in sport . 

If the Prem divide into two divisions, as has been mooted, would we make the cut ?

We risk to be cast adrift as a nonentity as our history doesn’t scream ‘ top level club ‘ . 

We could end up as the Celtic of a lower league system, too big for the likes of Yeovil and Forest Green but excluded from the big leagues . 
 

We need promotion and we need it soon. Whether we stay up or not isn’t that important . It’s getting the monkey off our backs and having the belief that we can get there.

All well and good Major but the current set up seem to lack the belief to win championship matches.

  • Like 1
  • Snake 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be happy to have a season in the EPL once every few years - but thats it.

Bit like Norwich for instance.

That'll do for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a catch 22. 

Most of my friends who follow Prem teams say when they were in the Championship it was more fun.

Being a Baggies fan has surely got to be the most fun...never a dull moment.

For me I'd love to see City playing abroad, even if they brought back the Anglo Italian Cup 😆

Would love to be flying out to some weird eastern European destination. 🥰

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's a catch 22. 

Most of my friends who follow Prem teams say when they were in the Championship it was more fun.

Being a Baggies fan has surely got to be the most fun...never a dull moment.

For me I'd love to see City playing abroad, even if they brought back the Anglo Italian Cup 😆

Would love to be flying out to some weird eastern European destination. 🥰

They do flights to Yatton ?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hodge said:

The chance of doing what Sheffield Utd are doing, Leicester won the premier league in their second season back in the division after 10 seasons of second tier football, Wolves are currently pushing for Europa league football if not champions league football and we were competing with them no more than 2 seasons ago. While success in the top tier is unlikely its by no means impossible and we should be pushing for it. Worst case scenario of going up is you come straight back down which if you're sensible with the finances sets you up to be a strong force in the championship and therefore fun to watch by being more successful again when you come down.

 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The club would get to play top PL clubs every league match - hell, I might restart going to every away match. 
It’s a long time since I’ve been to Anfield, Goodison, and have yet to visit the new Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham new homes.

Personally I’d love it even if we got stuffed most weeks. 

@vicky10 why the “aubergine” emojis?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

 

@vicky10 why the “aubergine” emojis?

Question is Dave - who is@vicky10?  

It is half term I guess..............:cool2:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think like the OP was saying, I’ve never seen us in the top flight. So would be great to see the big teams at the gate every week.

Financially it would be great too.

Although the games on Saturday 3pm KO would be very few and far between, even worse than the Championship for awkward KO times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Question is Dave - who is@vicky10?  

It is half term I guess..............:cool2:

Settle down Robbo you pervy dirt bag !!

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do we want to be promoted?

Only one reason for me, I want to see City win every game, I’m sure the players and Manager want to win every game.  Without that, any professional or even serious amateur club might as well lock the stadium gates on the way out and wrap it in.

The are potential delights and horrors from getting promoted, but we’ll deal with those like we deal with all the other trials and tribulations being a City fan brings,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be a pain in the butt with changed kick off times, huge demand for away tickets, VAR, and no doubt most of the extra income will go on wages. 
money thing with the Championship is that it is brilliantly unpredictable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Robbored said:

The club would get to play top PL clubs every league match - hell, I might restart going to every away match. 
It’s a long time since I’ve been to Anfield, Goodison, and have yet to visit the new Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham new homes.

Personally I’d love it even if we got stuffed most weeks. 

Agreed. I think the Prem has changed a lot since the 90s and 2000s when it seemed to be that pretty much any club getting promoted into it was, unless they were a West Ham/Newcastle biggish type of club,  viewed as likely to get relegated.  The occasional "small" clubs to go up such as Swindon and Barnsley went straight back down, Bradford City managed to pull off a miracle and survive for 2 seasons.  

Somewhere along the line the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, Palace and Burnley got up there and got established.  I think the so called "top six" Mancs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs have pulled away (not so much this season) and the rest are much of a muchness.  

If we were to go up, we are so unpredictable that we are just as likely to do a Sheffield United or Wolves, as we are to do a Norwich. The fun would be watching us having a go in the best League we can be in.  And if it went pear shaped, the financial incentive with parachute payments would help us trying to get back, although they don't seem to have done Sunderland, Stoke or Huddersfield much good.

But, as another who has great memories of the late 70s in the 1st Division, I just want to see us in the top flight again, as you do.  To be honest I find it difficult to understand any fan who does not want it.

Edited by New Dazzler
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

IF we did get to the prem it would be fun on here

reading the post of which players SL should be trying to buy

And risk doing a Fulham?   Can’t see that happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

What you cant see posters on here asking for totally unrealistic targets?

Fulham spent millions on an almost brand new set of players when they got promoted and despite the expenditure came straight back down.

No time for the new signings to gel, learn each other’s game and bond as a squad - it even got mentioned on MotD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Negan said:

After reading something on twitter about how the Championship is the best league in the world, which is an opinion I strongly agree with, it was funny seeing the likes of Southampton/Villa/Norwich/Watford etc fans also agree and how they "miss" the division. Now that could be down to those teams being too good for the league and usually winning most games and ultimately promotion when they are in it. Which got me thinking, why do we as Bristol City fans want to be promoted? because if we are the likelyhood is we'll lose the majority of our premier league games and be favourites for relegation pretty much every season we're there, and also we'd probably not see us compete at the top of the table. If we did (like Sheffield united currently) it would likely be only for a season. Where as in the championship we are a biggish team who compete for promotion and win the majority of our games. I know it's ambition for a lot of our fanbase, and if you're of the age like myself, you haven't seen this club at the top level of English football. That's probably my biggest reason for us to get promoted, because I haven't seen city in the prem, but when that happens will we feel the same as the current fan bases in the bottom half of the PL and miss championship football? As a fan we literally sit on our asses watching football, so wouldn't you want to see us competing/winning, rather than be in Norwich's position right now? Yes it would be great when you pull off a shock, so is that one of the reasons for promotion? The money the club would make, wouldn't really benefit me or you, if anything prices would increase and tickets harder to come by due to demand... Maybe I'm the only one but if we we're to be promoted I'd miss the championship quite a lot. 

Eh? We haven’t won the majority of our games this season, and we didn’t win the majority of our games last season and we didn’t win the majority of our games the season before last season .... etc ... I know a lot of City fans who aren’t in a hurry to be promoted - but that doesn’t mean they can’t be critical of stuff surrounding our club ...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Agreed. I think the Prem has changed a lot since the 90s and 2000s when it seemed to be that pretty much any club getting promoted into it was, unless they were a West Ham/Newcastle biggish type of club,  viewed as likely to get relegated.  The occasional "small" clubs to go up such as Swindon and Barnsley went straight back down, Bradford City managed to pull off a miracle and survive for 2 seasons.  

Somewhere along the line the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, Palace and Burnley got up there and got established.  I think the so called "top six" Mancs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs have pulled away (not so much this season) and the rest are much of a muchness.  

If we were to go up, we are so unpredictable that we are just as likely to do a Sheffield United or Wolves, as we are to do a Norwich. The fun would be watching us having a go in the best League we can be in.  And if it went pear shaped, the financial incentive with parachute payments would help us trying to get back, although they don't seem to have done Sunderland, Stoke or Huddersfield much good.

But, as another who has great memories of the late 70s in the 1st Division, I just want to see us in the top flight again, as you do.  To be honest I find it difficult to understand any fan who does not want it.

I dont think any of the teams you mentioned are established to be honest, Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, Palace and Burnley, any of them could come back down anytime, Watford and Bournemouth possibly this season. Brighton could easily have sunk last season and only had a point more than us I think in the end.   swansea and stoke thought they were established also. 
I think it’s worth it to see your club play at the big grounds, maybe get a win like we did at old Trafford last season, but generally you need a lot of stars to align for you, a wealthy owner, good manager and very astute recruitment. 
I think most clubs have a 60/70 million wage bill at least so you have to be able to offload players should you go down, so buying the right ones is crucial. No reason why a city like Bristol shouldn’t have some time in the sunshine so to speak, look at some of the city’s that have recently or still do. 
to break into the top 10 and stay there I reckon you are looking at spending like Everton and West Ham, 150/200 million pound wage bill. A massive gamble for many.  I winder what wolves wage bill is now considering they lost 75 million the season they went up due to high wages etc.....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Fulham spent millions on an almost brand new set of players when they got promoted and despite the expenditure came straight back down.

No time for the new signings to gel, learn each other’s game and bond as a squad - it even got mentioned on MotD.

I agree with you But there would be some on here thinking SL should go out break the bank

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been 40 years since we last played in the top flight. That is all the motivation desire and NEED that any City fan should have.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To not want to be promoted shows a massive lack of ambition. It also means you’d have to be hoping for us to lose games.

I have happy memories of us in League One and playing in the JPT. Would I ever want to go back there? Not for a ****ing second!

The Prem would be hard. We may well lose and lose a lot. But it should always be where we want to be, because we should want our team to be up there with the big boys.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bris red said:

It has been 40 years since we last played in the top flight. That is all the motivation desire and NEED that any City fan should have.

Beat me to it Bris !

Because I, and many others have been waiting 40 ******* years for it !!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

I agree with you But there would be some on here thinking SL should go out break the bank

 

Indeed........but those posters tend not to understand the finer points of developing a team capable of survival in the PL,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

I dont think any of the teams you mentioned are established to be honest, Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, Palace and Burnley, any of them could come back down anytime, Watford and Bournemouth possibly this season. Brighton could easily have sunk last season and only had a point more than us I think in the end.   swansea and stoke thought they were established also. 
I think it’s worth it to see your club play at the big grounds, maybe get a win like we did at old Trafford last season, but generally you need a lot of stars to align for you, a wealthy owner, good manager and very astute recruitment. 
I think most clubs have a 60/70 million wage bill at least so you have to be able to offload players should you go down, so buying the right ones is crucial. No reason why a city like Bristol shouldn’t have some time in the sunshine so to speak, look at some of the city’s that have recently or still do. 
to break into the top 10 and stay there I reckon you are looking at spending like Everton and West Ham, 150/200 million pound wage bill. A massive gamble for many.  I winder what wolves wage bill is now considering they lost 75 million the season they went up due to high wages etc.....

@Montpelierblue

The below are all for Wolves 

IMG_20200218_220504.jpg

IMG_20200218_220448.jpg

IMG_20200218_220432.jpg

IMG_20200218_220407.jpg

IMG_20200218_220357.jpg

IMG_20200218_220333.jpg

IMG_20200218_220322.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

I dont think any of the teams you mentioned are established to be honest, Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, Palace and Burnley, any of them could come back down anytime, Watford and Bournemouth possibly this season. Brighton could easily have sunk last season and only had a point more than us I think in the end.   swansea and stoke thought they were established also. 
 

I agree with that and was sort of making the point that, whilst the "Top Six" are extremely unlikely to be relegated any time soon, add on to that the Golden Rule of Top Flight Football which states that Everton NEVER get relegated, and pretty much every other team are potential relegation fodder.  Whilst the likes of Leicester have done exceptionally well, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that their bubble could burst in the next few years.  It is quite possible that recently promoted clubs that are now doing well such as Wolves and Sheffield Utd. could struggle in the not too distant future.  

The point I was trying to make, which should give us a measure of hope if we did get promoted, is that their are many clubs in both the Prem and Championship that have experienced both in the past few years, although you would not necessarily class them as "Yo-yo" clubs (some like West Brom clearly are!).

I think my use of the word "established" was a bit strong, perhaps "relatively secure but potentially vulnerable" might be more suitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What planet does Robbored live on.. & those all wanting to see City play at the best grounds in England? How the hell do you expect to get tickets as we would probably have 18k ST holders at AG and the average allocation is 2-3k. Prem league would mean those who are loving this spell of away games under LJ (at least two of the best seasons ever) would have to watch on the TV! How is this good? 

Even undesirable places like Luton caused a problem this season so imagine all those newbie fans clamouring for tickets to Tottenham and Liverpool - really horrible. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I didn't miss a single home game when we were last in the top tier.  I went to a few away games too (Fulham, Tottenham, Villa and especially Coventry). I've not been to a single away game since, though I have to fly to Barcelona every other week to Watch us on RobinsTV nowadays 😀

If we screw it up then the parachute payments will make a big difference, but it will be nice to be on match of the Day every week and also piss off the Sags (if they even exist by then)?

We can also dream of doing a Leicester or or being in Europe too.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Then you get so used to winning that you're basically a Real Madrid fan and are essentially a pillock.

Otib'ers are mostly pilliock's when we lose - and often even if we draw..

So we'll be pilliock's all of the time then?😬.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Indeed........but those posters tend not to understand the finer points of developing a team capable of survival in the PL,

And you think Lee might understand??

Not that he'll ever get that opportunity

Edited by Robert the bruce
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

If we were to go up, we are so unpredictable that we are just as likely to do a Sheffield United or Wolves, as we are to do a Norwich. The fun would be watching us having a go in the best League we can be in.  And if it went pear shaped, the financial incentive with parachute payments would help us trying to get back, although they don't seem to have done Sunderland, Stoke or Huddersfield much good.

 

It seems that if you manage to stay there long enough you struggle when you come down. 

Possibly due to the team that originally got promoted are still together. Whilst the longer you’re there those players are replaced by high wages players who jump ship as soon as possible, leaving you with no one other than a rebuild. 
 

I would love it and hate it to get to the Premier league. Mixing with the big clubs playing against some of the best players in the world. Having higher financial rewards and parachute payments if we fail. Verses having the feeling going into most games expecting to get beat rather than being optimistic. Kick off times  (I’m old school and believe 3pm Saturday is football time) all over the place. 
Would like us to do a Burnley and WBA who bounced around a few years before settling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, spudski said:

It's a catch 22. 

Most of my friends who follow Prem teams say when they were in the Championship it was more fun.

Being a Baggies fan has surely got to be the most fun...never a dull moment.

For me I'd love to see City playing abroad, even if they brought back the Anglo Italian Cup 😆

Would love to be flying out to some weird eastern European destination. 🥰

Norwich ? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Otib'ers are mostly pilliock's when we lose - and often even if we draw..

So we'll be pilliock's all of the time then?😬.....

They would claim they come Portishead .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

What planet does Robbored live on.. & those all wanting to see City play at the best grounds in England? How the hell do you expect to get tickets as we would probably have 18k ST holders at AG and the average allocation is 2-3k. Prem league would mean those who are loving this spell of away games under LJ (at least two of the best seasons ever) would have to watch on the TV! How is this good? 

Even undesirable places like Luton caused a problem this season so imagine all those newbie fans clamouring for tickets to Tottenham and Liverpool - really horrible. 

We shouldn't dream of going up because it might be harder to get tickets?

I welcome newbie fans, even if it means I struggle to get tickets.  Because that means our club is growing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do often wonder if the pain of relegation from this league would be quickly remedied by smashing it in League 1, where we're undoubtedly a very 'big fish', and hopefully winning a 5th third tier title (which would make us the most successful third tier team). I can't hope for it though. Can't comprehend a team wanting relegation or missing the level below. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I do often wonder if the pain of relegation from this league would be quickly remedied by smashing it in League 1, where we're undoubtedly a very 'big fish', and hopefully winning a 5th third tier title (which would make us the most successful third tier team). I can't hope for it though. Can't comprehend a team wanting relegation or missing the level below. 

I think we are still the most sucessful club in the Football League Trophy.  Which is great, but I never want to play in it again!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you aren't aiming to be at the top there is no point in even turning up! Why would any real fan not want to see us in the Prem!

Saying that, watching Norwich, West Ham, Watford & Villa who are at the bottom of the league all have a much better squads and play much better football than us so I don't see us doing well if we did go up! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love us to go up with all the exposure and financial benefits,

but only when we are ready, which being totally outplayed by Leeds suggests we are not. You need to build a team that can be dominant in the Championship that you can add a few players to try and stay up, otherwise you have to chuck so much money at the team with no time to gel or risk getting thumped every week and breaking Derby's low points record. 

I go to watch BCFC and like watching a win or a good game, I don't go do for a love in of the opposition

If we can keep on the year on year improving and raising the level of players we have I can see us doing it in the next few years, but not sure scraping through the playoffs this year would not be good. Having said all of the above, if we get in the position of the play off final, I will not be wishing us to lose

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

My wife was in hospital due to complications in connection with the pregnancy of our first. Dutiful husband, I went in to visit her and spent the entire time listening to the commentary on hospital radio!

 

16 hours ago, Negan said:

After reading something on twitter about how the Championship is the best league in the world, which is an opinion I strongly agree with, it was funny seeing the likes of Southampton/Villa/Norwich/Watford etc fans also agree and how they "miss" the division. Now that could be down to those teams being too good for the league and usually winning most games and ultimately promotion when they are in it. Which got me thinking, why do we as Bristol City fans want to be promoted? because if we are the likelyhood is we'll lose the majority of our premier league games and be favourites for relegation pretty much every season we're there, and also we'd probably not see us compete at the top of the table. If we did (like Sheffield united currently) it would likely be only for a season. Where as in the championship we are a biggish team who compete for promotion and win the majority of our games. I know it's ambition for a lot of our fanbase, and if you're of the age like myself, you haven't seen this club at the top level of English football. That's probably my biggest reason for us to get promoted, because I haven't seen city in the prem, but when that happens will we feel the same as the current fan bases in the bottom half of the PL and miss championship football? As a fan we literally sit on our asses watching football, so wouldn't you want to see us competing/winning, rather than be in Norwich's position right now? Yes it would be great when you pull off a shock, so is that one of the reasons for promotion? The money the club would make, wouldn't really benefit me or you, if anything prices would increase and tickets harder to come by due to demand... Maybe I'm the only one but if we we're to be promoted I'd miss the championship quite a lot. 

Just bringing back the feeling and being proud of being in the top flight is something I always remember from the 70s. The great 1st division teams that visited Ashton gate  and the away games I went to I will always remember. I also remember the tears and frustration of struggling in the 1st division but it was all worth it. Hopefully the young ones in OTIB will get the chance to witness Prem football at the gate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...