IGNORED

BT2 Sports film Jimmy Greaves

Robbored

For those of a certain age Jimmy Greaves in the 60s and 70s was the schoolboys footballing hero of many, including yours truly.

A goalscorer extraordinaire and until recently England’s leading goalscorer. Tonight this BT film shows his rise and subsequent fall into alcoholism. He got sober and embarked on a TV career with Ian StJohn which ran for many years.A fascinating life story.

I’ve set it to record - tonight at 10:30pm BT2.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

For those of a certain age Jimmy Greaves in the 60s and 70s was the schoolboys footballing hero of many, including yours truly.

A goalscorer extraordinaire and until recently England’s leading goalscorer. Tonight this BT film shows his rise and subsequent fall into alcoholism. He got sober and embarked on a TV career with Ian StJohn which ran for many years.A fascinating life story.

Too young to remember him playing but Saint and Greavsie was essential viewing in the 80s, before football got trendy and started on the trajectory to oblivion it seems to be on. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Going to watch this. Too young to remember him but I’ve seen footage. What a classy finisher he was, and his scoring record is ridiculous 

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Here’s some - is it me or is his goal on 0:26 secs absolutely identical to the famous Cheese goal at Highbury?!

Imagine if we had a player like that now, I can just see the posts on here. "liability when we are defending", "doesn't ever track back" and my personal favourite which was used about JET "All he does is score goals". :)

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Alan has he got Altziemers now? Saw him score against us at white hart lane when Gordon low gave a penalty away .

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Imagine if we had a player like that now, I can just see the posts on here. "liability when we are defending", "doesn't ever track back" and my personal favourite which was used about JET "All he does is score goals". :)

Remember my dad telling me about watching him on one occasion at White Hart Lane,, reckons he hardly touched the ball....

Scored twice. 

27 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Remember my dad telling me about watching him on one occasion at White Hart Lane,, reckons he hardly touched the ball....

Scored twice. 

Precisely. I always said that in the 1979 F A Cup final that Arsenal beat Manchester Utd 3-2, that Liam Brady on got on the ball 3 times......

12 hours ago, candygram for mongo said:

Daily Mail and others behind a campaign to get him knighted, long overdue in my opinion 

The honours system rewards political advisors, the corrupt and talentless who have contributed naff all to the greater good of society.

True hero’s of the people, who have bought pleasure to thousands, are masters of their profession, have contributed generously to charities, are ignored by the establishment.

A knighthood now is just for the unworthy, so don’t worry Jim being recognised as  a people’s champion is a far better accolade.

5 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Saint and greavsie, best football programe ever.

I read someone said the other day jimmy should get a gong for that show alone, never mind what he did in the game.

Too true.

The wrestling was on after!

He had such a relaxed style, it was like chatting football with your best mate in the pub um er probably not a good analogy.

I remember as a young lad stood in the Paxton Road end and in the pre match routine Greavsie struck a ball into the crowd knocking an old girls glasses off who was stood beside me, he raced over and couldn't have been more apologetic or concerned.At the end of the game he came back to make sure she was still ok.

It,s a shame that all the goals were not recorded for TV, one goal I saw live was against Leicester City where he received the ball on the halfway line dribbled past 4 or 5 defenders rounded the keeper and slid the ball into an empty net .

Top ,top player

14 hours ago, candygram for mongo said:

Daily Mail and others behind a campaign to get him knighted, long overdue in my opinion 

Arguably the greatest British player of a generation.

Phenimonal record, unfairly overlooked because injury prior to 66 World Cup. If he’s fit, there probably is no 4-2 and no need for extra time and the whole thing is a lot more pedestrian ?

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

The honours system rewards political advisors, the corrupt and talentless who have contributed naff all to the greater good of society.

What a load of toss, I suggest you take those blinkers off and actually look through the list of people awarded honours.

I will grant you there are career politicians and political grandees who get some honours for just turning up to work and keeping their nose clean, but the OBE and MBE lists are full of proper people who don't sit on their arse with a chip on their shoulder, but get out there and make a difference.

6 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I read someone said the other day jimmy should get a gong for that show alone, never mind what he did in the game.

Too true.

Daddy Daddy Daddy!

Just caught up with the programme - I had no idea that he had suffered a cot death, his first son. Such a tragic event in anyone’s life. 

Ive met several people both in a professional capacity and in my social circle who had had the same horrendous experience and none of them have truly got  over it. I'm so thankful that it never happened to my family.

The rest of his life story I was familiar with, particularly his alcoholism and subsequent recovery. Cliff Jones as well who thanks Greavsie for pointing him in the direction of AA.

3 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

What a load of toss, I suggest you take those blinkers off and actually look through the list of people awarded honours.

I will grant you there are career politicians and political grandees who get some honours for just turning up to work and keeping their nose clean, but the OBE and MBE lists are full of proper people who don't sit on their arse with a chip on their shoulder, but get out there and make a difference.

Come off it matey...’career politicians who get honours for just turning up for work and keeping their noses clean’... if only it was just that! How about getting a top honour for making a disastrous cock-up of Brexit? How about making hundreds of thousands of pounds donation to the Tory Party and getting a gong?

Nah... there are thousands of more worthy people who haven’t got honours who have contributed far more to the greater good of society, protection of animals and the planet than those who’ve been awarded them. That isn’t to say many that have been awarded honours aren’t worthy, but may I politely suggest you take your head out of the sand if you think the honours system hasn't been brought into serious disrepute in the last few decades. 

By the way, I’ve no chip on my shoulder. ... without sounding up my own arse (as you mention it), I’m more than satisfied with what I’ve contributed and continue to contribute to making the world a better place thanks. 

8 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Too true.

That he hasn't, and when you look at some that have, it just confirms that "it's a funny old game!"

On 19/02/2020 at 08:28, RedRock said:

True hero’s of the people, who have bought pleasure to thousands, are masters of their profession, have contributed generously to charities, are ignored by the establishment.

A knighthood now is just for the unworthy, so don’t worry Jim being recognised as  a people’s champion is a far better accolade.

Couldn’t agree more!

Archived