IGNORED

Season Card Renewals - DETAILS NOW RELEASED

wendyredredrobin

What no one has mentioned is that we could be watching Premier League football next year for as little as £345. I wonder what they would do if we did go up and struggle bottom three in the Prem? Would they still get us to renew in March, because they would want to charge Premier League prices on the off chance we stayed up, but no one would pay that sort of money to probably watch Championship football the following season.

3 hours ago, MattWSM said:

exactly, absolutely.....your either "city" or your not. take the rough with the smooth, the highs and the lows, that's what it's all about being a "supporter" of Bristol City, init for the long haul as Rome wasnt built in 1 day, wheres the fun in that. City never boring in mid table either outside chance of promotion or trying to stay up

You are "either City or not", so if you don't renew you're not a City fan?? What complete and utter nonsense. Is my old man not a City fan because he no longer goes due to poorer health, who has been a City fan for 70+ years? People who cannot afford to go - not City fans in your eyes? Fans who are just not excited and entertained and don't see it as value for money anymore?

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Can’t get my head around people saying they might not renew because of the football.

We’re currently the 27th placed team in English football.

By my reckoning we’ve had just nine seasons since WW2 where we’ve done better.

Of course I’ll renew. 

That is my reason for not renewing next season. League position has absolutely nothing to do with anything imo. Cardiff went up 2 seasons ago, and their football was overall dire, and if we were comfortably in the playoffs (higher league position than we are now) playing like that I still wouldn't want to renew next season.

Give me the "high pressing" season with the cup run and a mid table finish any day over the last 2 seasons of home form with our overall boring predictable football. Yes we couldn't keep that pace up, and yes we sold Reid who was a huge player that season, but how our style has changed so much with all the money spent on players is just a bit mad imo. There is just hardly any excitement at the moment in home games imo with probably the best squad we have had in my time as a City fan. I have missed 4 homes games already this season where I just couldn't be bothered to go (I am not the only one of my lot either).

Next season I will still go to some home games at full price, but I would rather just go to more away games if I can get tickets and have a good day out regardless of the result.

• Admin
21 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

What no one has mentioned is that we could be watching Premier League football next year for as little as £345. I wonder what they would do if we did go up and struggle bottom three in the Prem? Would they still get us to renew in March, because they would want to charge Premier League prices on the off chance we stayed up, but no one would pay that sort of money to probably watch Championship football the following season.

True - five less home games too

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

You need to renew mate. then before season tickets go on general sale, there is a specific date for transfers and tickets which have been not renewed in the south stand are up for grabs.

It's quite the price difference though, will I be refunded the difference? 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

League position has absolutely nothing to do with entertainment or enjoyment or “doing better.” You’ve just looked at a list of our ‘seasons’ (probably on Wiki) and counted the number of times we’ve finished higher than we are currently placed, and from that you’ve deduced this is our 10th ‘best’ season since WW2...

Well yes, factual history doesn’t lie. Of course you can argue there is an ‘enjoyment’ factor to football that is more important than league position, but factually speaking it’s a hierarchal system. It’s an indisputable fact that the team that finishes first has done better than the team that has finished .second, etc etc. So nothing I’ve said is incorrect.

I didn’t say it was the tenth most enjoyable season. That’s an entirely different argument. 

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I didn’t say it was the tenth most enjoyable season. That’s an entirely different argument. 

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Can’t get my head around people saying they might not renew because of the football.

A slight contradiction?

It just isn't enjoyable to many fans. There will obviously be a huge percentage who renew, and also new people who will buy for the first time. But my group who go (of which there are 8 of us), only maybe 2 will renew as that is a mate who takes his boy, the other 6 won't be as it has already been mentioned between us.

Expect a run of shite results just before they give us the "exciting offer" to renew for considerably more money.

City always seem to badly time their renewal date and accidentally ask us for money and loyalty straight after a terrible result.

They then give you f- all time to reserve your seat and sit on your money for months before sending out the new ticket a few days before the season begins.

Oh, and sort the card fold quality out Bristol Sport, the current one is so cheaply printed that the colour has largely scratched off mine already.

5 minutes ago, wood_red said:

A slight contradiction?

It just isn't enjoyable to many fans. There will obviously be a huge percentage who renew, and also new people who will buy for the first time. But my group who go (of which there are 8 of us), only maybe 2 will renew as that is a mate who takes his boy, the other 6 won't be as it has already been mentioned between us.

I'm in a similar position,

Theres 4 of us who regularly go.

3 season card holders - 2 of us 100% renewing we like the buzz and the atmosphere of seeing your friends and supporting your team regardless of the results however  frustrating it is.

The third cant justify the style of football/results and the hassle of swapping shifts etc. So will not be renewing but instead be getting membership and cherry picking his games to suit.

4th has a half season card and will also renew. 

24 minutes ago, wood_red said:

A slight contradiction?

Not really. It’s football not science. Some times the ‘product’ will be better than others. That’s the nature of live sport. You’re not buying something tangible with quality control  

With all due respect, if the primary reason you go to football is to enjoy the ‘spectacle’ every single time you go, then a historically bang average English league club isn’t the one to support!

I think this debate highlights that for some it’s a choice based on the outcome and for some it’s just an ’in the blood’ / ‘it’s what I do’ type thing. I definitely come into the latter category. I’d be there if we were in the conference and losing every week. Not saying that to be ‘super fan’ at all, I do appreciate that everyone has different motivations and reasons they go to football. 

28 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

With all due respect, if the primary reason you go to football is to enjoy the ‘spectacle’ every single time you go, then a historically bang average English league club isn’t the one to support!

No I certainly don't. Do I expect us to go out and beat better teams with free flowing fast football? Certainly not. Do I expect us to go out and at least "have a right go" at teams that are generally poor with the best squad we have had since I have been watching us - then yes I do. It seems (bar a handful of games) in the last couple of years we all know what to expect, which is pretty boring predictable non exciting football when we are at home - whether that is against Leeds or if it's Wigan. I, and many others find it overall pretty boring and not enjoyable as it currently is at home, and just do not look forward to going down like I have done in previous years. 

You may find that a great day out and enjoyable, but as it is I don't and am gradually falling out of love with the home games. I go away a fair bit and really enjoy that, so as long as I can get a ticket and afford some away days next season, I will spend my money doing that, along with just a few home games.

4 minutes ago, wood_red said:

No I certainly don't. Do I expect us to go out and beat better teams with free flowing fast football? Certainly not. Do I expect us to go out and at least "have a right go" at teams that are generally poor with the best squad we have had since I have been watching us - then yes I do. It seems (bar a handful of games) in the last couple of years we all know what to expect, which is pretty boring predictable non exciting football when we are at home - whether that is against Leeds or if it's Wigan. I, and many others find it overall pretty boring and not enjoyable as it currently is at home, and just do not look forward to going down like I have done in previous years. 

You may find that a great day out and enjoyable, but as it is I don't and am gradually falling out of love with the home games. I go away a fair bit and really enjoy that, so as long as I can get a ticket and afford some away days next season, I will spend my money doing that, along with just a few home games.

I get it, I really do. There’s a lot to dislike about modern football. But we’re nowhere near as bad as people make out as evidenced by our league position. 

It’s been done to death but personally I’d much rather see us play ‘bad’ football and go up than fantastic exciting football and not. Of course we all want both, but for me effective football is better than pretty football (in general, not applying this to us specifically)

I’m expecting an increase in price for adults but I’m preparing for my piss to be boiled if they remove the free shirt from the kid’s ticket deal because of the new contract with Hummel. JL said that Hummel “share our values” but the proof of that will very much be in the pudding. 

2 minutes ago, marmite said:

I walk away dissatisfied with what I see after almost every home game this season. So will I renew? Of course I will. Never in doubt.

If only we could play our away games at home. We’d be much more exciting to watch!

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Expect a run of shite results just before they give us the "exciting offer" to renew for considerably more money.

City always seem to badly time their renewal date and accidentally ask us for money and loyalty straight after a terrible result.

They then give you f- all time to reserve your seat and sit on your money for months before sending out the new ticket a few days before the season begins.

Oh, and sort the card fold quality out Bristol Sport, the current one is so cheaply printed that the colour has largely scratched off mine already.

Glad you mentioned this. I thought maybe this happened because mine may have got wet. Must be poor quality this season. Ive got ticket sleeves from years back that are still in good nick.

• Admin
12 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

This is a surprisingly positive thread.

Unlike recent seasons most seem to say they will renew and I don't think I read one post with the phrase "not with LJ in charge"

100% true, there is a guy I know who have supported City over 50 years, he renewed his season ticket last summer as always, but won't come to any games until LJ is gone !

There are still people out there keeping away because of him

36 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I get it, I really do. There’s a lot to dislike about modern football. But we’re nowhere near as bad as people make out as evidenced by our league position. 

I don't think you do really get it, you have gone back to the league position as evidence to how "we are nowhere near as bad as people make out".

Cardiff went up a couple of season ago with effective football. It was shocking to watch and just not entertaining at all, one game I watched the game plan was hoof the ball high to the penalty spot - and no we are not that bad to watch. We have a side/squad of players that has so much potential, but they all just seem to be shackled and not allowed to play. We did hear about coaching themselves on the pitch though, so maybe this weekend we will see a difference.

I will leave it there as it's just going around in circles.

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

100% true, there is a guy I know who have supported City over 50 years, he renewed his season ticket last summer as always, but won't come to any games until LJ is gone !

There are still people out there keeping away because of him

I can’t image that there are that many Phants......So if LJ gets us to the PL he still wouldn’t return to AG? Did he stay away when GJ was in charge? It’s the same dreary stuff now as it was then. 

Fact is that managers come and go but fans are a constant. 

24 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I don't think you do really get it, you have gone back to the league position as evidence to how "we are nowhere near as bad as people make out".

Cardiff went up a couple of season ago with effective football. It was shocking to watch and just not entertaining at all, one game I watched the game plan was hoof the ball high to the penalty spot - and no we are not that bad to watch. We have a side/squad of players that has so much potential, but they all just seem to be shackled and not allowed to play. We did hear about coaching themselves on the pitch though, so maybe this weekend we will see a difference.

I will leave it there as it's just going around in circles.

Whereas we played great football at times that season and achieved nothing. I know which set of fans had the more enjoyable summer.....!

Cardiff-City-are-delighted-to-confirm-th

Great comeback, what has the fans summer have to do with anything? This is about renewing a season ticket here at Ashton Gate, and why we are or are not. You seem to think we should all renew it because of our league position being great, and forget about the actual "entertainment" what is on show. Well the entertainment (for me and many people I know), is just not very entertaining, therefore we are not renewing. I really don't understand the one dimensional "league position" argument one bit at all.

You may well enjoy it with your mates/families/kids etc, but many fans don't at this current time. 

2 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Great comeback, what has the fans summer have to do with anything? This is about renewing a season ticket here at Ashton Gate, and why we are or are not. You seem to think we should all renew it because of our league position being great, and forget about the actual "entertainment" what is on show. Well the entertainment (for me and many people I know), is just not very entertaining, therefore we are not renewing. I really don't understand the one dimensional "league position" argument one bit at all.

You may well enjoy it with your mates/families/kids etc, but many fans don't at this current time. 

Dont know if you realise.. but we are competing at a very high level of football for a club like ours

We arent Man Utd or Liverpool, so we cant expect our team to get results AND play free flowing football ffs ?‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Dont know if you realise.. but we are competing at a very high level of football for a club like ours

We arent Man Utd or Liverpool, so we cant expect our team to get results AND play free flowing football ffs ?‍♂️

Where have I said that? 

We are competing at a high level, and with the best squad I have ever known us have since I have been watching. The football served up at home the last couple of seasons bar a few performances, has been generally poor (imo), with no signs of what the plans are of changing that. Many teams must come here and just wonder how the hell we are where we are in the table, because half the time we just look like pretty clueless relegation candidates. I hope we smash WBA and I get some faith back, but I just currently cannot get excited about going to home games.

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

It was an illustration that the ugly but effective football that Cardiff played that season panned out better than the pretty but ultimately useless football that we played. 

Clearly for you, you value the ‘entertainment factor’ of football more than I do, and that’s a perfectly valid viewpoint, I’m not saying it’s not. 

But I suspect most would rather finish 6th playing ugly than 7th playing beautiful. And I suspect the 6/8 non-renewals of your and your mates would be massively out of kilter with the majority. No idea what City’s actual retention rate is of STH but imagine it’s right at the other end of the scale. 

You seem very defensive, not sure why. I’m not saying your wrong and that I’m right, just that we have opposite perspectives on what we want. 

11 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It was an illustration that the ugly but effective football that Cardiff played that season panned out better than the pretty but ultimately useless football that we played. 

Clearly for you, you value the ‘entertainment factor’ of football more than I do, and that’s a perfectly valid viewpoint, I’m not saying it’s not. 

But I suspect most would rather finish 6th playing ugly than 7th playing beautiful. And I suspect the 6/8 non-renewals of your and your mates would be massively out of kilter with the majority. No idea what City’s actual retention rate is of STH but imagine it’s right at the other end of the scale. 

You seem very defensive, not sure why. I’m not saying your wrong and that I’m right, just that we have opposite perspectives on what we want. 

I would rather finish 7th-10th playing beautiful football as you put it, because I can then see what we are actually trying to achieve longterm on the pitch (the identity mentioned by LJ nearly every week). Then pre season you try and improve maybe a couple of positions and get some more depth in the squad with players who can play in that way. You go again in the next season and hopefully improve that league position, keeping that identity going (like Brentford). We have gone from exciting high pressing (unsustainable for 46 games), but have then completely changed it to what exactly? I, like many are just baffled by some of the team selections, changes from week to week, subs, tactics etc, which in turn has made the home game experience just unexciting and not entertaining. 

We may have different perspectives and neither of us are correct per se, as it is all just subjective.

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Obviously I’ll renew - it’s a no brainier for me, 

Only once in the decades that I’ve had a SC have I considered not renewing but I just couldn’t do it. The dross at the time was so dreary and dull that I wasn’t sure that I could watch another season of the shite but I stuck with and luckily the manager was sacked that season.

Yea  I couldn't stand SOD either.....

Archived