IGNORED

Season Card Renewals - DETAILS NOW RELEASED

wendyredredrobin

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I made no reference to last season until you brought it up. And being 13th in the home form table is very pertinent when people talk as if we’re absolutely awful and can’t buy a win at home. It’s a fair point about the teams we’ve played but we’ve also gotten plenty of good results against better teams away from home. You can’t isolate one set of fixtures because it suits the argument better. The season as a whole has to be considered, not just half of it. 

We all have a different view of what constitutes ‘entertainment’, I get that. A 3-3 is far more entertaining on paper than a 1-0 but it’s ‘worth’ less. 

As for ‘getting nothing against any top teams’ - not sure what that’s based on. We are yet to play 4 of the current top 6 at home so lots of football to be played. 

At the end of the day I think some people are just always looking at the glass as half empty. 

But he is talking about HOME games being poor entertainment though not away which has nothing to do with that argument, he's right, I didn't renew this season after 25 years for exactly the same reasons we have been mostly poor entertainment at home for a few years now. I put up with one year but last season was the one that broke the Camels back, I still come down but not as often as I did and from what I have so far witnessed am in no hurry to commit to a full season any time soon.

46 minutes ago, wood_red said:

As a club yes I cannot agree more, performance and entertainment wise at home games for me it certainly isn't.

Two season ago I was buzzing on a Saturday morning for the home games, we had an identity with aggressive high pressing, and exciting football. I could see what the plan was and what we were trying to achieve, a couple of quality additions in the summer and we could have been a major force the next season with some tweaks here and there in our tactics. Now I just don't have a clue what the "identity" is!!

Please can I ask how you felt about the entertainment value in :

1993/94 under Osman. 
1999/00 under Pulis. 
2013 under O’Driscoll. 

Could probably even throw in the reigns of Tinnion (2005/5) & Millen (2010/11) as they weren’t exactly gloriously exciting times. 
Hell, I could argue that 2011 to 2013 under McInnes didn’t really throw up that many memorable games. 

I just don’t think the entertainment value is as bad as you’re making out. We suffered plenty over the years.

46 minutes ago, wood_red said:

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Not sure what other sports have to do with it. 
The football clubs wage bill has gone up from £27.2m in 17/18 to £30.6m in 18/19 and will likely be higher again for 19/20. 
Are you expecting this to come from SL’s pockets alone? 

Watching Bristol City, you say, isn’t a cheap thing to do. 
I’d politely disagree. £15 per match is the best ticket you can get. That’s great value. 
If you want to go back to playing football, which is of course your absolute right, you’ll be paying what, £5 per week subs? Minimum. Plus £30 signing on? 

Pop to the movies on a Saturday afternoon instead. £11.60 I believe. Then chuck another £10 in for a drink and popcorn. 

Take the wife out to the zoo for the afternoon perhaps? £18 for you. Another £18 for her. 

It's £4.99 at Vue cinema all seats all performances. so less than a fiver for 2 hours of entertainment, and you don't have to buy a drink or popcorn, you could say the same for attending a match by the time you've had a couple of pints of Natch and a hotdog thats another£15. 

17 minutes ago, pillred said:

But he is talking about HOME games being poor entertainment though not away which has nothing to do with that argument, he's right, I didn't renew this season after 25 years for exactly the same reasons we have been mostly poor entertainment at home for a few years now. I put up with one year but last season was the one that broke the Camels back, I still come down but not as often as I did and from what I have so far witnessed am in no hurry to commit to a full season any time soon.

I can only assume then, that all those who won’t be renewing their season ticket because they are dissatisfied with the entertainment, will all be travelling to most away games instead, where the performances served up are much more VFM. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I can only assume then, that all those who won’t be renewing their season ticket because they are dissatisfied with the entertainment, will all be travelling to most away games instead, where the performances served up are much more VFM. 

Trouble is by the time you've added in the cost of getting there etc it can cost a lot more, though if the last couple of years is anything to go by most would probably say it was worth it.

Random question. 
I’ve been in the same seat in the SS since it opened, having previously been in an almost identical seat in the Atyeo. 
now- the guy currently sat behind me is a serious problem for my mate who comes to games- he is relentless in his moaning/match commentary etc- I’m always conscious that you pay your money, you’re entitled to an opinion etc- but it’s getting ridiculous. 

anyone else had any prior experience of the best course of action for this- direct approach to the guy or email club etc? 

as an example- this guys moans at everything, in the Man U game- he berated Korey Smith for running forward when he scored! 

5 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

You might think its cheap, but is it really value for money?

£16 quid for 90+ minutes of what is generally boring dross, or £6 at the cinema for a decent film?  

I know which I see as better value for money!

That’s great. I hope you enjoy your bi-weekly visit to the flicks and that the movies you watch provide you with as much uniqueness, uncertainty & emotional swing that a game of football can. 

16 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

You might think its cheap, but is it really value for money?

£16 quid for 90+ minutes of what is generally boring dross, or £6 at the cinema for a decent film?  

I know which I see as better value for money!

Football all day long - even one moment like the Charltton home makes worth ten times what a cinema ticket is. Not comparable really. 

23 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Random question. 
I’ve been in the same seat in the SS since it opened, having previously been in an almost identical seat in the Atyeo. 
now- the guy currently sat behind me is a serious problem for my mate who comes to games- he is relentless in his moaning/match commentary etc- I’m always conscious that you pay your money, you’re entitled to an opinion etc- but it’s getting ridiculous. 

anyone else had any prior experience of the best course of action for this- direct approach to the guy or email club etc? 

as an example- this guys moans at everything, in the Man U game- he berated Korey Smith for running forward when he scored! 

Yes - twice ....

I was sitting in The Dolman, and had a father and son (the son was probably in his 40’s) sat just behind us who went on and on and on .... and when the chance came to move the the Lansdown we took it quickly,

However got to the Lansdown, and found ourselves in front of a pretty abusive chap - I complained to the SLO at the time, giving seat details and this was quashed almost immediately.  And since then he has behaved really well - still shouting at the players as we all do - but not in an abusive way. 

Use the SLO - by direct email, and you may find this is resolved!  This is what he’s there for ...

58 minutes ago, Harry said:

Please can I ask how you felt about the entertainment value in :

1993/94 under Osman. 
1999/00 under Pulis. 
2013 under O’Driscoll. 

Could probably even throw in the reigns of Tinnion (2005/5) & Millen (2010/11) as they weren’t exactly gloriously exciting times. 
Hell, I could argue that 2011 to 2013 under McInnes didn’t really throw up that many memorable games. 

I just don’t think the entertainment value is as bad as you’re making out. We suffered plenty over the years.

Yes I can tell you exactly what the entertainment value was under those - I stopped attending because it was that bad. 

45 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yes indeed (for me anyway), I have said I will still go to away matches if I can get tickets, because I usually have a cracking day out. 

10 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Random question. 

I really do sympathise. Have had the same trouble in the past and whilst it might sound trivial to some, over a long period of time it can drive you round the bend and quite genuinely spoil your match day enjoyment. It’s not what you’ll want to hear, but I’m afraid the only solution is to move. You will resent the fact that you’re the one who’s got to be inconvenienced when it’s the other bloke who’s the pain in the arse, but moronic as he might be, he’s probably doing nothing that a steward could caution him for, let alone remove him, and people like him don’t change their behaviour in my experience, even if you speak to them about it in the most reasonable way possible. They can’t help themselves.

The other bit of bad news is there’s quite a lot of them about, so there’s no guarantee you won’t end up near someone just as bad or, dare I say, even worse. I did move in the end, but did a bit of careful checking out first as to who I would be likely to have around me. I’m much, much happier as a result: it’s amazing how much difference it can make to your enjoyment, which I suppose is testimony to just how tiresome this sort of personality can be, but on a positive note, changing seats is quite easy to do, and I found you need only move a couple of seats or one row away for it to make a huge difference.

Hope that helps. I wish you luck sorting it out. If it’s anything like what happened with me, you’ll be glad you went to the trouble.

4 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Yes I can tell you exactly what the entertainment value was under those - I stopped attending because it was that bad. 

Yes indeed (for me anyway), I have said I will still go to away matches if I can get tickets, because I usually have a cracking day out. 

Excellent. 
So you will watch YOUR team play away but won’t be watching YOUR team play at home. 
Thanks for your financial contribution to YOUR team of £0. 

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Fair enough. I appreciate that for some it's a decision to be made based on the perceived quality of the 'product', it's just that that stance is at complete odds with my perception of what being a supporter actually means. Doesn't make me right and you and others like it wrong, we just have a differing perspective on things.

For me going to watch City play is just part of my makeup, something intrinsically part of what I do and who I am. It's no more a choice to be made than whether I get up in the morning or breathe. Brentford play better football but I'm as likely to go and buy their 'product' 'as I am to sprout wings. 

For better or worse and all that (and personally for me and my generation, our place in the football world is pretty much higher than it's ever been in our lifetimes, so I think it's natural that it's met with a bit of surprise when you hear people talking about not renewing based on what's happening on the pitch).

I wonder how entertained Leeds fans were when they lost at home to Wigan, for the second season running, or they only drew at home with little old Preston, or threw away a 3-0 lead to a ten-man Cardiff?

Or how entertaining an afternoon those at Craven Cottage had going down 3-0 at home to Barnsley and Hull, and losing to lowly Bristol City of all people.

Meanwhile at The Hawthorns, I'm sure the Baggies faithful were thrilled at the likes of Stoke, Barnsley, Millwall and Charlton taking points off of them. But wait, it's only Bristol City that can't beat 'teams like those' isn't it?

It's easy to think everyone else is playing amazing football and getting brilliant results all the time and we're the only ones who don't, or the only ones who don't get the results on paper that we should, but the reality is something quite different. 

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Excellent. 
So you will watch YOUR team play away but won’t be watching YOUR team play at home. 
Thanks for your financial contribution to YOUR team of £0. 

Yeah, because I find it a very good day out for the money I spend on that activity. 

It's not like I have spent thousands and thousands and thousands down there at all over the years.... Must have been all those season tickets getting passed back through the turnstiles, and knowing all the stewards over the years letting me in for free!!!

The football on show is overall poor, entertainment overall poor, so why should I pay £500 to go and watch something I just am not enjoying probably 80%?? It really is no different than you basically saying how poor the cinema is - so you don't go.

Archived