IGNORED

Season Card Renewals - DETAILS NOW RELEASED

wendyredredrobin

14 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

To drive - its 3 hours 10 mins each way from my front door to BS3.

From Manchester Picc to TM the train takes 3 hours each way. But obviously that doesn't include the time to get to the stations from my house/the gate and vice versa. 

To be fair the most expensive bit of me having a season ticket is actually getting to the game!

Took more than 3 bloody hours 10 minutes today CM, over 4 bloody hours from Irlam to Bristol.

Poxy, shitty M bloody 6. ?

28 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I sit in the south stand and its very easy to justify and say that its only 3% increase this year.. but over the seasons that soon adds up... It was about £300(?) in the Atyeo meaning it's now about £60 more expensive for me than then. I'm lucky I haven't felt the pinch over that time and obviously facilities have vastly improved...  but when you say it like that.... £60 is £60!

That’s only about £2.60 per game more than way back then. As you say, with massively better facilities, with better players, challenging at the right end of the Championship. 
I don’t that’s too bad at all. 

5 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

You might think its cheap, but is it really value for money?

£16 quid for 90+ minutes of what is generally boring dross, or £6 at the cinema for a decent film?  

I know which I see as better value for money!

Try Speedway for £16. You get fifteen x1 minute races.

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s also not true. They’ve averaged 17 shots per game to our ‘abysmal’ 12. 

And the league average is......12

Leeds have averaged 17.3 per home game against our 12 - some 40-45% higher. They also sit top of the table on shots "for" whereas you happily mentioned the average, but not where we actually are in that table of shots "for" where we are 19th,  so you say "it is nowhere near as bad as people like to think" - it really is.

Leeds have had 90 shots on target and we have managed 61 (so basically 50% more on target).

They are poor up front and Bamford has missed plenty for them, but I would rather watch us play like them, as you can actually see what the longterm plan and "identity" is, same with Brentford. If we played like them most games (we weren't far off a couple of seasons ago) then I would not hesitate to buy a season ticket for next season. Even if our style changes now with Wells (and poss Afobe) I could even be forced to change my mind, but currently everything I have witnessed last season and this season so far puts me right off.

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Took more than 3 bloody hours 10 minutes today CM, over 4 bloody hours from Irlam to Bristol.

Poxy, shitty M bloody 6. ?

Worst I've had was 5 1/2 hours after the Sheffield United game last season. It's not too bad normally but that one came straight off the back of 4 hours after the Blackburn game (might have been the other way round...).

Still its a lot more enjoyable if we win. When we lose it is bloody horrible!

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

That’s only about £2.60 per game more than way back then. As you say, with massively better facilities, with better players, challenging at the right end of the Championship. 
I don’t that’s too bad at all. 

It isn't too bad, hence that I said it is still great value for money.... But when you say £60 out loud it suddenly sounds a lot! 

4 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Worst I've had was 5 1/2 hours after the Sheffield United game last season. It's not too bad normally but that one came straight off the back of 4 hours after the Blackburn game (might have been the other way round...).

Still its a lot more enjoyable if we win. When we lose it is bloody horrible!

It isn't too bad, hence that I said it is still great value for money.... But when you say £60 out loud it suddenly sounds a lot! 

It's a run I do most weeks CM ( UK office is there). Worst I've had is 5 hours but at least the roadworks at the top of the M5 have finally finished.

The M6 is a total cluster#### though and there's another 18 months to go yet. 

Fair play to you for doing that run for a 'home' game, you have my respect.

13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

It's not about money DP, wish it was. I would happily buy it for him if that was the case.

Tough one Ska, but imagine if your Dad first got you interested in City and you've gone together for so long he might be a bit disappointed if you stopped going.

Perhaps your Dad time could change from going to City games together to meeting up to have a good chat about every game with you updating him on all things City and everything going on down at AG on a matchday, as well you telling him about the action first hand from the point of view of someone who was actually there.

Would really bring the match to life for him and hearing all about it from his son would surely be the next best thing to being there himself. Can't help but feel it might be a bit of a double blow to him if he thought his inability to attend had stopped you going too.

Never the same experience listening on the radio, although of course a great substitute if you really can't be there like your Dad.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

It's a run I do most weeks CM ( UK office is there). Worst I've had is 5 hours but at least the roadworks at the top of the M5 have finally finished.

The M6 is a total cluster#### though and there's another 18 months to go yet. 

Fair play to you for doing that run for a 'home' game, you have my respect.

Luckily for me weekends are much better than during the week! I don't envy you at all!

Yeah it's a trek but it makes life easier to persuade the Mrs for a pass for away games. "It's only in Hull - so I'd be back earlier than normal" ?

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Tough one Ska, but imagine if your Dad first got you interested in City and you've gone together for so long he might be a bit disappointed if you stopped going.

Perhaps your Dad time could change from going to City games together to meeting up to have a good chat about every game with you updating him on all things City and everything going on down at AG on a matchday, as well you telling him about the action first hand from the point of view of someone who was actually there.

Would really bring the match to life for him and hearing all about it from his son would surely be the next best thing to being there himself. Can't help but feel it might be a bit of a double blow to him if he thought his inability to attend had stopped you going too.

Never the same experience listening on the radio, although of course a great substitute if you really can't be there like your Dad.

Nice one Noggers.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Not sure what to do next season to be honest.

My dad took me to the Gate as a youngster and I have returned the honour for the last 20 years or so. I enjoy the time with my dad, it's our 'thing' I suppose.

Dear old dad is now 85 and said he probably won't be renewing. At his age, I guess sitting in a cold stand on a freezing Tuesday isn't as pleasant as it used to be.

I'll probably wait and move seats, unless dad changes his mind but won't sit in the same seat without him.

I'm a bit gutted TBH. :(

Fully understand how you feel Ska 

how about treating him to , and yourself (You could still have a SC) to a couple of hospitality games , for a couple of more attractive games in better weather - Bit more comfort , and some nice quality time with him as well as a ‘thankyou’

Not quite the same , But what I was planning to do when my Dad had to stop going , though unfortunately I never got the chance

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The good news is Rob that I now qualify for a concession...........:cool2:

Thats gonna save me around £60 on my renewal. You can’t be too far behind.

I heard you told them you were a big kid.....and only once they'd read your comments on here did they believe you :)

2 hours ago, cider-manc said:

To drive - its 3 hours 10 mins each way from my front door to BS3.

From Manchester Picc to TM the train takes 3 hours each way. But obviously that doesn't include the time to get to the stations from my house/the gate and vice versa. 

To be fair the most expensive bit of me having a season ticket is actually getting to the game!

I used to drive from London, which took about 3 hours depending on traffic, even late at night, though used to stay for a couple of days, but sometimes returning straight after the game on a Saturday. When I was at uni I used to drive down in the afternoon and back the same night for a midweek game. Now I come by coach because my car died, it’s a lot cheaper but not as convenient getting to and from Keynsham, where I stay when in the West Country and getting to Victoria coach station each time 

7 hours ago, Harry said:

That’s great. I hope you enjoy your bi-weekly visit to the flicks and that the movies you watch provide you with as much uniqueness, uncertainty & emotional swing that a game of football can. 

I can and actually do both, so am well placed to have an opinion on the best value for money and City certainly aren’t it.  

When it gets to the point when there’s absolutely no buzz or anticipation as I reluctantly drag myself along to the yet another match fully expecting to be bored shitless yet again, there’s a definite attraction in being able to get some guaranteed entertainment for a third of the price.  There’s also the bonus of not having to battle through traffic, right across the city to then have to park a mile away and then potentially have to walk through the pissing rain and by the end of the ‘entertainment’ wish you hadn’t left home in the first place.

Good for you if you’re happy with what we’re being dished up, but I’m afraid you’ll never convince me what we’ve been getting at AG for the last couple of years constitutes value for money in any shape or form.

On 19/02/2020 at 06:26, MattWSM said:

exactly, absolutely.....your either "city" or your not. take the rough with the smooth, the highs and the lows, that's what it's all about being a "supporter" of Bristol City, init for the long haul as Rome wasnt built in 1 day, wheres the fun in that. City never boring in mid table either outside chance of promotion or trying to stay up

The corporate 'suits at the club will love reading this....automaton's following blindly along into file....

It's no wonder they treat their "customers" like shite.......

7 hours ago, wood_red said:

Leeds have averaged 17.3 per home game against our 12 - some 40-45% higher. They also sit top of the table on shots "for" whereas you happily mentioned the average, but not where we actually are in that table of shots "for" where we are 19th,  so you say "it is nowhere near as bad as people like to think" - it really is.

Leeds have had 90 shots on target and we have managed 61 (so basically 50% more on target).

They are poor up front and Bamford has missed plenty for them, but I would rather watch us play like them, as you can actually see what the longterm plan and "identity" is, same with Brentford. If we played like them most games (we weren't far off a couple of seasons ago) then I would not hesitate to buy a season ticket for next season. Even if our style changes now with Wells (and poss Afobe) I could even be forced to change my mind, but currently everything I have witnessed last season and this season so far puts me right off.

So not “20+” then. 

I mention the average because it’s incredibly pertinent. You’re painting a picture that it’s truly dire when what’s happening in reality is that it’s average for the level we operate in

In all honesty if a league table of shots for even comes into it as a factor when deciding on whether or not to buy a season ticket we’re in completely different worlds. 

As I keep coming round to, for all the gushing over Brentford’s identity, they’ve taken 2 more points than us over 33 games. 

Call me old fashioned but I think we’re doing ok. Comparisons with Leeds are a bit misplaced given that they’re under the guidance of a £6m p/a coaching staff.

And even then they’ve managed a mere 6 points more than us despite playing an extra home game. 

I keep saying it but I’d rather win a scrappy 1-0 than lose 4-3 playing like Leeds or Brentford. 

I appreciate your stance is different but I do question how quickly the ‘I’d rather we were entertained and finished mid table’ would turn into ‘why can they do it and we can’t’ when the likes of Brentford and PNE inevitably get promoted and we’re still sat in mid table with our signature blend of entertainment...

FYI, only 6 teams have scored more goals per game at home than us. Leeds score a home goal every 12 shots and we score one every 8.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

The corporate 'suits at the club will love reading this....automaton's following blindly along into file....

thats a bit harsh, just being positive about our club

I see it as football never runs smoothly, it's all part of the ups and downs. only 1 Team can win it. we are doing ok. I just reflect where we have come from 1982..., recessions can impact future decades but steadily you can rebuild. Thats how I see City. brick by brick day by day....we will get there. carry on with the current rate of progress and we could be a club to be reckoned with in a few years on and off. cant always get the exact style right on the pitch but improvements as a club overall and league position are equally as important as good football to watch. if league position is improving we won't be doing too much wrong

6 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I used to drive from London, which took about 3 hours depending on traffic, even late at night, though used to stay for a couple of days, but sometimes returning straight after the game on a Saturday. When I was at uni I used to drive down in the afternoon and back the same night for a midweek game. Now I come by coach because my car died, it’s a lot cheaper but not as convenient getting to and from Keynsham, where I stay when in the West Country and getting to Victoria coach station each time 

I've done the coach before (especially back in my student days) but despite it being considerably cheaper it does take 5 hours (even before taking into account any traffic!!) from Manchester and being the lanky git I am it is rather uncomfortable for the duration! The fact I can't have a cider either....

The last one I got was rather enjoyable though. When we beat Villa 3-1 on their first year in the division - there was work on the lines so I opted for the coach as the train actually took longer going via Newport. Basically I got on the coach to find it was full of Villa fans crying about the fact that they had just lost to a "little club like Bristol City". Kept me amused for the first half of the journey at least!

15 hours ago, pillred said:

It's £4.99 at Vue cinema all seats all performances. so less than a fiver for 2 hours of entertainment, and you don't have to buy a drink or popcorn, you could say the same for attending a match by the time you've had a couple of pints of Natch and a hotdog thats another£15. 

Football is live though so I think it would be more appropriate to compare ticket prices with what you would pay for a theatre or concert ticket. Football is pretty reasonable in comparison to those. 

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Bristol City is a business.......and like most well run businesses there are senior people in suits. 

In recent times I can only think of one example when the club ( MA in particular) tried to treat us supporters like shite and that was when they tried to hike up the prices of SCs to unacceptable levels.

The SC&T got involved and resolved the issue - well done to them but their involvement should not have been necessary.

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So not “20+” then. 

I mention the average because it’s incredibly pertinent. You’re painting a picture that it’s truly dire when what’s happening in reality is that it’s average for the level we operate in

In all honesty if a league table of shots for even comes into it as a factor when deciding on whether or not to buy a season ticket we’re in completely different worlds. 

As I keep coming round to, for all the gushing over Brentford’s identity, they’ve taken 2 more points than us over 33 games. 

Call me old fashioned but I think we’re doing ok. Comparisons with Leeds are a bit misplaced given that they’re under the guidance of a £6m p/a coaching staff.

And even then they’ve managed a mere 6 points more than us despite playing an extra home game. 

I keep saying it but I’d rather win a scrappy 1-0 than lose 4-3 playing like Leeds or Brentford. 

I appreciate your stance is different but I do question how quickly the ‘I’d rather we were entertained and finished mid table’ would turn into ‘why can they do it and we can’t’ when the likes of Brentford and PNE inevitably get promoted and we’re still sat in mid table with our signature blend of entertainment...

FYI, only 6 teams have scored more goals per game at home than us. Leeds score a home goal every 12 shots and we score one every 8.

I think we’re doing okay as well?

I think the frustration is we could (and should have over the last 3 season) done better.

our final  league positions often belie the strong positions we actually got ourselves into at points during the season.

If we miss the playoffs again this year, it isn’t because we fought our way up to 8th in a plucky manner, it’s because we fell away from a strong position prior to Christmas.

All this talk of "Superfan"

Just because i think this is a really good time in our history... does not make me think i'm a superfan.

I just dont get people renewing on the basis "the football is shit" - it isnt. At times it is, but at times its very good. Players like Elliasson are great to watch.

If the season cards are being released early based anticipated increased sales because of a potential promotion, why does the price per game not reflect this?

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So not “20+” then. 

Talking of averages, the "price per game" quoted seems to be in anticipation of another season in the Championship.

A South Stand adult season card = £366 or £16 per game would become £19.26 in the Premier league.

image.thumb.png.3d559c4ace00a7a3cc323075426af52a.png

15 hours ago, wood_red said:

Yeah, because I find it a very good day out for the money I spend on that activity. 

It's not like I have spent thousands and thousands and thousands down there at all over the years.... Must have been all those season tickets getting passed back through the turnstiles, and knowing all the stewards over the years letting me in for free!!!

The football on show is overall poor, entertainment overall poor, so why should I pay £500 to go and watch something I just am not enjoying probably 80%?? It really is no different than you basically saying how poor the cinema is - so you don't go.

8 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

I can and actually do both, so am well placed to have an opinion on the best value for money and City certainly aren’t it.  

When it gets to the point when there’s absolutely no buzz or anticipation as I reluctantly drag myself along to the yet another match fully expecting to be bored shitless yet again, there’s a definite attraction in being able to get some guaranteed entertainment for a third of the price.  There’s also the bonus of not having to battle through traffic, right across the city to then have to park a mile away and then potentially have to walk through the pissing rain and by the end of the ‘entertainment’ wish you hadn’t left home in the first place.

Good for you if you’re happy with what we’re being dished up, but I’m afraid you’ll never convince me what we’ve been getting at AG for the last couple of years constitutes value for money in any shape or form.

Wood Red & Brizzle Red. 
Genuine question, and one which I’m not wishing to judge or criticise you, but I am intrigued :

I know it’s still rather unlikely, but IF, and I mean big IF, we were to make the playoffs and somehow win it, and miraculously be in the Premier League next season, would you regret not having renewed? 

Is the entertainment value just one which you can’t stomach at top 10 championship level, or would you happily still pay for a season ticket if we were a pragmatic Prem team, say, in the Burnley mould - ie not providing great entertainment but achieving decent enough results and being competitive. 

3 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

If the season cards are being released early based anticipated increased sales because of a potential promotion, why does the price per game not reflect this?

Talking of averages, the "price per game" quoted seems to be in anticipation of another season in the Championship.

A South Stand adult season card = £366 or £16 per game would become £19.26 in the Premier league.

image.thumb.png.3d559c4ace00a7a3cc323075426af52a.png

I’m a bit surprised there wasn’t a footnote re Premier League.

55 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I think we’re doing okay as well?

I think the frustration is we could (and should have over the last 3 season) done better.

our final  league positions often belie the strong positions we actually got ourselves into at points during the season.

If we miss the playoffs again this year, it isn’t because we fought our way up to 8th in a plucky manner, it’s because we fell away from a strong position prior to Christmas.

Completely agree with you there. But I think a lot of teams will say the same (Leeds anyone?!) and it’s symptomatic of both the competitiveness of the championship and the fact that we aren’t quite there yet in terms of being an established force at that end of the table. 

But if the league finished today, it’s baffling to me that some will just flatly refuse to see our progress when we’ll have finished 11th, 8th and 7th.

Of course, that doesn’t preclude questions being asked about whether we should have done more. 

Archived